Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilLarry29
Oct 6, 2003

"We have how much salary cap left? Fuck it, let's just start giving money away."
Is there some sort of trick to using the map app? Cause even when I put in the road then a zipcode, it'll totally ignore the zipcode and use a street in a different state with the same name or something.

Also, does the touch use the same video format that the classic does?

EvilLarry29 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Same video formats, but it can take a higher resolution.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
Just want to pipe in and say Videora works extremely well and is easy as hell to use. Sure, it has ads but it works so well I don't really care. I haven't tried any others yet.

dorkimoe
Feb 16, 2007
Well I got my touch last October. Today it started acting up. I couldn't turn it on from the on button. Only way the screen would come up is to plug it in. I eventually got it to turn all the way off. Now it's working. Anyone else ever have this problem?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

dorkimoe posted:

Well I got my touch last October. Today it started acting up. I couldn't turn it on from the on button. Only way the screen would come up is to plug it in. I eventually got it to turn all the way off. Now it's working. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Yes, but that was because installed some theme that apparently didn't agree with the rest of my iPod. I removed it once I got control back from the technology gremlin and things have been fine since.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
For some reason my battery is depleting itself insaley quick. I'll turn it on at full and then it'll be empty after 3 hours on standby.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Battery Life

1. If you have SSH, turn it off. SSH mysteriously drains battery juice like a fish drinks water.
2. Are you using wi-fi? When I'm concerned about battery life I turn it off.
3. Shut off any movies you've been watching before switching off.
4. Drop screen brightness a little.
5. Before going to standbye, shut off programs by holding down the home button.
If these dont work talk to the clowns at the Apple Store.

Fake Edit: Yeah I have a love/hate relationship with Apple.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Anyone know why my ratings and smart playlists are not syncing between itunes and my ipod?

I'll rate songs on my ipod they'll pop into my top rated playlist on the ipod but when I sync they do not carry over to my PC or my playlists on the pc.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone know why my ratings and smart playlists are not syncing between itunes and my ipod?

I'll rate songs on my ipod they'll pop into my top rated playlist on the ipod but when I sync they do not carry over to my PC or my playlists on the pc.
How do you rate songs on the Touch anyway? I've never seen that feature show up anywhere.

Also, are jailbreakme.com and that other one at a tinyurl address being buggy right now? When I try to open the hacked .tiff file, my iPod will immediately quit out of Safari and still isn't jailbroken after about 20 tries. Would completely restoring it to 1.1.1 and not doing anything (e.g. syncing music) fix it and let me jailbreak again?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Vyze posted:

How do you rate songs on the Touch anyway? I've never seen that feature show up anywhere.

Tap the album art when something is playing to go to the track listing. You can rate the current song that's playing right below the song tile and above the track listing.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

LordOfThePants posted:

Tap the album art when something is playing to go to the track listing. You can rate the current song that's playing right below the song tile and above the track listing.
Ahh, I thought those dots were just there for decoration. This is why the Touch should come with a proper loving user manual, since nobody ever bothers to download online ones.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Any point upgrading to 1.3 yet? I'm on jailbroken 1.1 and lurve it.

Any Flash stuff etc?

pearofducks
Jan 21, 2003

quack?

Fallon posted:

Any point upgrading to 1.3 yet? I'm on jailbroken 1.1 and lurve it.

Any Flash stuff etc?

If you have the iphone apps on 1.1 + ical fix then no, not really.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
if anyone still has any problems. i recently found Ziphone which jailbreaks any iphone to 1.13, even OTB, in about 50 seconds.

i've tried it on my touch and it works flawlessly.

i have an 8 gig touch though. ive heard of errors on the 16 gig.

http://www.ziphone.org/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's this with SSH draining battery? That's not true. SSH doesn't even run if there aren't any active connections. launchd listens on port 22 and starts SSH when there's activity. SSH closes when there's no more connections.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

stoops posted:

if anyone still has any problems. i recently found Ziphone which jailbreaks any iphone to 1.13, even OTB, in about 50 seconds.

It glitched about for a little while on my 16Gb, but I got it working after that - thanks! :woop:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Toiletbrush posted:

What's this with SSH draining battery? That's not true. SSH doesn't even run if there aren't any active connections. launchd listens on port 22 and starts SSH when there's activity. SSH closes when there's no more connections.

There's no way that's true. On holiday for the past few days, I've gone through 2 charges of my Touch. When I turned SSH off for the second run, the battery lasted TWICE as long, at least. This is normal movies/music usage, wifi has been off the whole time too.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Earlier in the thread someone suggested turn off ssh. It returned the battery life I had pre jailbreak, so I say that's "Myth Confirmed."

Optimus Fish
Apr 16, 2003
Did you guys install the SSH from the jailbreak program you used, or from the installer after you installed the BSD subsystem?

Apparently the SSH from the jailbreak is the biggest offender of being a piece of poo poo with battery life and the one you get from the installer doesn't have that issue.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

NUDE GENTLEMAN posted:

Did you guys install the SSH from the jailbreak program you used, or from the installer after you installed the BSD subsystem?

Apparently the SSH from the jailbreak is the biggest offender of being a piece of poo poo with battery life and the one you get from the installer doesn't have that issue.

That might explain something. I have the SSH that my old 1.1.2 jailbreak installed automatically months ago, and I never touched it since. Should I uninstall it, then get the SSH off installer again?

Optimus Fish
Apr 16, 2003
yes

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
if you have problems with ssh draining the battery, just install SERVICES from the NETWORK directory.

once installed, you can turn off/on wifi and ssh.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Thanks. I don't remember which one I have, but I'll uninstall and reinstall just to be safe.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm on the 1.1.3 jailbreak - what happened to Caps Lock by double tapping the Shift key? :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

kevdude posted:

There's no way that's true. On holiday for the past few days, I've gone through 2 charges of my Touch. When I turned SSH off for the second run, the battery lasted TWICE as long, at least. This is normal movies/music usage, wifi has been off the whole time too.
Then I don't know what I can say.

sshd does NOT run until I'm actually making a connection, and when I close the session, sshd disappears. This is with the package installed as is.

NUDE GENTLEMAN posted:

--edit: Well, there's the in-depth explanation to what I'm seeing on my iPod. The SSH from the installer registers with launchd, which is kind of doing the same as inetd on Linux and listens on sockets for applications, so that they're loaded on demand only.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 22, 2008

pearofducks
Jan 21, 2003

quack?

Toiletbrush posted:

Well, there's the in-depth explanation to what I'm seeing on my iPod. The SSH from the installer registers with launchd, which is kind of doing the same as inetd on Linux and listens on sockets for applications, so that they're loaded on demand only.

Anyone know how to make sure the jailbreak ssh is uninstalled then?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vyze posted:

It glitched about for a little while on my 16Gb, but I got it working after that - thanks! :woop:

Did yours get stuck on a screenful of "BSD root : md0, major 2, minor 0", by any chance?

I've restarted my iPod a few times and it just goes right into this.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

explosivo posted:

Did yours get stuck on a screenful of "BSD root : md0, major 2, minor 0", by any chance?

I've restarted my iPod a few times and it just goes right into this.
Yup, that's exactly what happened. I turned it off and on again lots of times, mashed buttons on the iPod and on the jailbreak tool, kept unplugging it and plugging it back in, pressed lots of things in iTunes, and then eventually it all worked.

So I've finally got a ton of nice useable things back, but sadly my wireless is too lovely to download the BSD Subsystem so I can get Apache running - all just to have my bus timetable on my iPod (Excel spreadsheet), since I can't think of any other applications that would be useful for seeing when all my bus times are.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vyze posted:

Yup, that's exactly what happened. I turned it off and on again lots of times, mashed buttons on the iPod and on the jailbreak tool, kept unplugging it and plugging it back in, pressed lots of things in iTunes, and then eventually it all worked.

Okay cool, I'm working with it now. When it finally worked, did it repeat that line of code at all, or did it just work?

stoops
Jun 11, 2001

Vyze posted:

all just to have my bus timetable on my iPod (Excel spreadsheet)

what do you use to view an excel spreadsheet?

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
edit: If I would have scrolled down I'd have found "Clear Cache" and that was my question. :)

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 23, 2008

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

explosivo posted:

Okay cool, I'm working with it now. When it finally worked, did it repeat that line of code at all, or did it just work?
Sorry, I can't remember at all. I just mashed things until my iPod eventually turned on, and I noticed Installer was on the desktop.

stoops posted:

what do you use to view an excel spreadsheet?
Safari can view .xls files just fine, it seems, so I used the Apache webserver from installer to be able to view the spreadsheet while offline.

RiSK
Dec 9, 2006

The Red Rocket Rifle

stoops posted:

Worked perfectly for me. I had a 1.13 8gb Touch with the January software update. One shot, one kill.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm still getting the same error. I've been pushing all the buttons I could for a day and it still hasn't worked. :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

For the life of me I can't find an iTunes megathread, so I'll ask here:

I updated to iTunes 7.6.1 when prompted yesterday (7.6.1.9 is the exact version I have). Ever since then, it's been choppy as gently caress, lagging, waiting a couple seconds to respond when I click anything, etc. I've tried raising the priority, clearing background apps, etc. It functions fine once the lag clears, like it doesn't skip when playing songs. But this is driving me nuts, and only started happening when it updated. My Touch still syncs fine, no issues. I'm running Vista Business 32 bit.

RiSK
Dec 9, 2006

The Red Rocket Rifle
If someone has a copy of the ZiphoneGUI, please upload it to rapidshare or something. The site isn't working anymore and I deleted it. :(

Edit; nevermind, it's back up.

Edit 2: What a lovely server. It's down AGAIN.

Anyway, I managed to grab it and mirror it. So if it's down again, use this link.

RiSK fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 24, 2008

Bob Vance
Aug 20, 2006

"Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration. Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration. Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration."
"So...what line of work you in, Bob?"

JMod posted:

So before my possibility of return runs out, does anyone have a date on when these price drops might happen? Like either exchange for a $299 16GB touch or would it be worth it to opt out and get the iphone? but then there's a 3G iphone coming out this year, maybe i should wait it out? and then maybe sell the touch when my contract is up?
dilemmas, dilemmas

There is apparently an Apple event on this coming Tuesday (Feb 26th). Some are saying it will happen then, others are saying it may not be until March/April. We shall see, I guess! *fingers are crossed* I WANT TO SPEND $400 DAMMIT.

invid
Dec 19, 2002
I'm thinking of buying a new 1.1.3 ipod touch.

If I jailbreak it and then decides to 'un-jailbreak' or reset factory settings, will the 5 applications that came with the ipod touch still work?

stoops
Jun 11, 2001

invid posted:

I'm thinking of buying a new 1.1.3 ipod touch.

If I jailbreak it and then decides to 'un-jailbreak' or reset factory settings, will the 5 applications that came with the ipod touch still work?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

So 1.1.4 comes with an apparent size increase and no features.. SDK app support perhaps?

• Locked thread