Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

fret logic posted:

Are there any drivers for the Creative X-Fi sound card? Or any way that I can get some sound in Linux? I'm dual booting with Ubuntu and can't get sound to work, and read that the X-Fi cards are closed source, and that they don't have ALSA support.
http://www.opensound.com

Don't expect anything special though, their driver is pretty basic, since Creative released their register specs not long ago.

I'm using these in Solaris (OSS is multiplatform) to use my dusty X-Fi and they're good and stable enough for simple music listening (e.g. with mpd) or movie watching (e.g. with mplayer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

MeramJert posted:

Well, my Gentoo installation is on /dev/hdb, but right now grub is running on /dev/hda, and I want to keep it that way. Is this potentially a problem? (I'm sure this is a very simple problem. I'm just very new to linux)
OK, I'm going to go ahead and assume your /boot directory is on the same device as your / directory. What setup(hd0) will do is to install Grub stage1 on the Master Boot Record of the first hard drive. STAGE1 will be configured to load stage2 from (hd1,0) or whatever it's set to in /boot/grub/menu.lst, and start the kernel specified in menu.lst

Basically, the BIOS will only load the 512 byte master boot record from the first disk and the rest from (hd1). You can also install grub into the second disk (setup (hd1)) and change the boot order in the BIOS setup utility if you don't want to touch the MBR on (hd0) for some reason.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Alowishus posted:

I think you're still missing some parts... or I am not clear on the rest of your Apache config. First of all, is the 404 page you're getting served out of Zope? Sounds like it is... that's definitely an indicator that the rewrite isn't working. From the snippet you posted, I can see why - all you did was turn the engine on, but you didn't give it any rules.

But here's the thing - I would have expected RewriteEngine to already be on in order for Apache to sit in front of Zope. Can you post the chunk of Apache config where it's wired up to serve the Zope content? If it's not a Rewrite thing, I'd guess it's a ProxyPass setup.

What sort of line am I looking for? I cant find any mention of zope in my apache.conf file nor did "/.fs" give me any results.

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle

Toiletbrush posted:

http://www.opensound.com

Don't expect anything special though, their driver is pretty basic, since Creative released their register specs not long ago.

I'm using these in Solaris (OSS is multiplatform) to use my dusty X-Fi and they're good and stable enough for simple music listening (e.g. with mpd) or movie watching (e.g. with mplayer).

No luck, keep getting errors under Sound menu when I try to detect either ALSA OSS or Autodetect, just keeps saying "audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink: Could not open resource for writing."

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

fret logic posted:

Are there any drivers for the Creative X-Fi sound card? Or any way that I can get some sound in Linux? I'm dual booting with Ubuntu and can't get sound to work, and read that the X-Fi cards are closed source, and that they don't have ALSA support.

Creative released their own drivers for X-Fi in Linux but only support AMD64.

http://opensource.creative.com/soundcard.html

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

feld posted:

That's quite odd.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

That's quite odd.

It's pretty much proof to my suspicions that no one in creative knows how to code drivers and that they have been riding their first generation of engineer's awesome drivers all this time (those DOS drivers rocked).

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle

feld posted:

http://opensource.creative.com/soundcard.html

Haha I've been to that page twice already but didn't read below where it says Creative released X-Fi drivers, let's hope this works :)

Well poo poo, it says it only supports 64bit Operating Systems, which I don't get why it's saying that when I have a AMD brisbane 4800+ with Gutsy Gibbon AMD64 version, weird.

fret logic fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 29, 2008

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
Is it possible to have wget login to the SA forums so that it can download a page that you must be registered in order to see? I tried following a few guides I found through Google but nothing seemed to work. Thanks for any help.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Mr. DNA posted:

Is it possible to have wget login to the SA forums so that it can download a page that you must be registered in order to see? I tried following a few guides I found through Google but nothing seemed to work. Thanks for any help.
Run wget and use the argument --load-cookies FILE where FILE is your cookies.txt (probably from your Mozilla or Firefox profile).

This is just a technical answer, if you plan to run a bot or grab more than a couple pages or someshit, ask as admin for permission first.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

waffle iron posted:

Run wget and use the argument --load-cookies FILE where FILE is your cookies.txt (probably from your Mozilla or Firefox profile).

Thanks for the answer, it worked like a charm. I'm just grabbing a single page occasionally, but I'll ask an admin just to be safe.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

fret logic posted:

No luck, keep getting errors under Sound menu when I try to detect either ALSA OSS or Autodetect, just keeps saying "audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink: Could not open resource for writing."
Although the Linux version of OSS comes with ALSA emulation, you should really try to use native OSS when using it. There's probably no OSS gstreamer plugin installed on your system, considering how some distros treat OpenSound like a red headed stepchild due to ALSA propaganda.

If osstest generates output, OSS works.

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

rugbert posted:

What sort of line am I looking for? I cant find any mention of zope in my apache.conf file nor did "/.fs" give me any results.
I'm not really sure what to tell you, outside of my guess that the line isn't actually going to say anything about Zope but will instead have some sort of Rewrite or ProxyPass verbage to it.

The usual setup is that Zope listens on a higher non-standard port (like 9673 on one of my Debian systems), and then Apache sits on the standard HTTP port 80 and listens for requests. It redirects most of those requests via proxy to the Zope system listening on the non-standard port. You need to figure out this mechanism so that Apache can be told not to redirect certain requests (the ones for your webalizer stats).

It's also possible that Zope itself is serving the webpages and Apache has nothing to do with it. Do you not have access to the person who set this up in the first place? If you can find the zope.conf file for your site instance (likely somewhere under /etc), it may give some clues. If Zope is configured to listen on port 80, then it's doing all the web serving itself.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Toiletbrush posted:

Although the Linux version of OSS comes with ALSA emulation, you should really try to use native OSS when using it. There's probably no OSS gstreamer plugin installed on your system, considering how some distros treat OpenSound like a red headed stepchild due to ALSA propaganda.

If osstest generates output, OSS works.
What are the advantages of OSS compared to ALSA nowadays? I've always only used ALSA because it supported multiple outputs on the same card while OSS didn't (if I remember it right) back in 1997 when I last tried it.

Then again I never use gstreamer either, I hate the framework and have never really got it to work properly to be honest and when mplayer+alsa worked just fine I never really bothered to try to make gstreamer do aswell.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Can amarok connect to an itunes media server from a nas?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Just stumbled over a site with tons of vim color schemes. And it even includes previews with samples in C, HTML, Java, Perl and Latex.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~maverick/VimColorSchemeTest/

Marinmo posted:

What are the advantages of OSS compared to ALSA nowadays? I've always only used ALSA because it supported multiple outputs on the same card while OSS didn't (if I remember it right) back in 1997 when I last tried it.
ALSA was started because everyone has had their panties in a bunch over 4Front not open sourcing OSS back then, which resulted in an open source reimplementation that wasn't being maintained anymore shortly after doing it. So ALSA was started to make things better, which they practically aren't, if you're to believe people having coded against it (they call it ugly and buggy). Meanwhile 4Front kept working on OSS, implementing a lot of hardware support, evolving their interfaces, which are said to be superior and still defacto standard.

Now that 4Front released the sources not so long ago, we'll see what happens. That the ALSA folks keep spreading FUD about OSS doesn't help (basically claiming that OSS is as backwards as their unmaintained reimplementation, similar to your 1997 impressions).

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Yes, but have OSS fixed the issue where you could only play one sound at a time? I got incredibly annoying when I had to restart Firefox just so I could get sound for a flash animation, because mplayer had monopolised OSS even though I quit the program.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yes they did. Very long time ago already. No matter what the other sound system/server types say. If your device has hardware mixing, it'll be used. If not, OSS will use a transparent software mixer.

Proof's in the pudding (no hardware mixing because the X-Fi driver is bare skeleton right now):

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Samba performance is so bad it has caused me to start smoking again.

I have Debian up & running on my little NAS machine. Getting md Raid 5 configured during install was a breeze and the machine was a snap to setup.

Setting up the samba shares/permissions took a little time but I think I have it behaving correctly.

Connecting to the samba shares from a Win XP machine, I can transfer files *extremely* fast. In excess of 60MB/s with my gigabit setup. The transfer begins instantly and finishes normally with no apparent hangs/trouble at all.

EDIT: Cut out me talking about various media player skipping/dropping frames problems because I discovered this more clear source of the problem...

While I can copy files TO the samba machine at speeds in excess of 60MB/s, copying files BACK (from the samba share to my Win XP machine's local HD) is about 1/250th as fast. A 1 GB file takes ~15 seconds to copy to the samba machine and over an hour to copy back. Speed from Win XP -> Samba machine= ~533 Mbit, from Samba -> Win XP machine= 2 Mbit (tops).

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 2, 2008

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Rescue Toaster posted:

Samba :words:

What filesystem? Samba plays much nicer with some FSes than others, XFS is one of the better ones IIRC, ext3 one of the worst.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

deimos posted:

What filesystem? Samba plays much nicer with some FSes than others, XFS is one of the better ones IIRC, ext3 one of the worst.

Yeah, it's ext3... but I can WRITE to the drive at over 60MB/s when copying to the samba share, and read from it at only 2Mb/s when reading from it. The very, very, very little helpfull information I've found online shows it happens independent of hard drive types or filesystem.

EDIT: Turns out the default kernel module for the Realtek RTL8111-series network cards has extremely bad performance w/ samba when sending data out. Replacing the R8169 module with the one downloaded from realtek's site (R8168) almost totally fixed it. It's still asymmetric... 60MB to samba, 40MB/s from samba, but it's usable. Those network controllers are pretty common on Intel's ICH9 systems so I hope debian/ubuntu switch the default driver.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 2, 2008

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

deimos posted:

Yea Ive noticed that, it seems that I cant access anything stored on a ext3 file system. I always get some error thats just a long string of numbers, but I can access my NTFS externals just fine.

So I guess I'll try XFS

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Alowishus posted:

I'm not really sure what to tell you, outside of my guess that the line isn't actually going to say anything about Zope but will instead have some sort of Rewrite or ProxyPass verbage to it.

The usual setup is that Zope listens on a higher non-standard port (like 9673 on one of my Debian systems), and then Apache sits on the standard HTTP port 80 and listens for requests. It redirects most of those requests via proxy to the Zope system listening on the non-standard port. You need to figure out this mechanism so that Apache can be told not to redirect certain requests (the ones for your webalizer stats).

It's also possible that Zope itself is serving the webpages and Apache has nothing to do with it. Do you not have access to the person who set this up in the first place? If you can find the zope.conf file for your site instance (likely somewhere under /etc), it may give some clues. If Zope is configured to listen on port 80, then it's doing all the web serving itself.

aha! It's located in the virtual host file:
code:
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/zroot
	RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} 137\.18\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3} [OR]
	RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} 143\.(228|231)\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}
        RewriteRule ^/zroot(.*) http://127.0.0.1:1080/VirtualHostBase/https/[/url]%{HTTP_HOST}:443
/VirtualHostRoot/_vh_zroot$1 [L,P]

rugbert fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 3, 2008

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Are there any LiveCDs which come with a version of WireShark that will decode the gzip-encoded content of HTTP/TCP streams when you view them?

The latest version I've been able to find (on a LiveCD) is 0.99.6 - and that doesn't seem to do it. Some light googling later, apparently only the newer versions of WireShark can do it (automatically?).

Either that, or I'm using it wrong - which is entirely possible.

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 4, 2008

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Same Great Paste posted:

Are there any LiveCDs which come with a version of WireShark that will decode the gzip-encoded content of HTTP/TCP streams when you view them?

The latest version I've been able to find (on a LiveCD) is 0.99.6 - and that doesn't seem to do it. Some light googling later, apparently only the newer versions of WireShark can do it (automatically?).

Either that, or I'm using it wrong - which is entirely possible.

Did you try BT3? I don't have my USB stick with it here but it generally has pretty updated tools.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

deimos posted:

Did you try BT3? I don't have my USB stick with it here but it generally has pretty updated tools.

Yeah, that was the last one I tried before posting - it's 0.99.6, and doesn't decode the gzip parts. Still more recent than Knoppix, though - which is stuck with .4 .

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Hello everyone

I'm running a FC5 server and I want to send email from this server to my gmail address. We already have a mail server at work but I'm not sure how to configure sendmail to work with an existing email server. I'm not really sure how to google for this type of question most results just show how to configure sendmail as a standalone email server.

Thanks

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

rugbert posted:

aha! It's located in the virtual host file
Ok good... well you may have already done this, but now that you know where the rules are, go back to my previous post with my rewrite examples and see if you can adopt those for your situation. At least you'll be able to test now and see some results...

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

Twlight posted:

We already have a mail server at work but I'm not sure how to configure sendmail to work with an existing email server.
You need to configure sendmail to use a smarthost (where the smarthost is your existing mailserver):
code:
define(`SMART_HOST',`[smarthost.example.net]')dnl
That has to go into sendmail.mc and then you have to generate a new sendmail.cf. If that's not something familiar to you, I really recommend 'yum install postfix' followed by 'yum remove sendmail'. Postfix isn't nearly as retardedly difficult to configure as sendmail is... you'll be able to just read through the comments in /etc/postfix/main.cf and make pretty good sense of everything ("relayhost" would be the Postfix parameter for this particular situation).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Same Great Paste posted:

Yeah, that was the last one I tried before posting - it's 0.99.6, and doesn't decode the gzip parts. Still more recent than Knoppix, though - which is stuck with .4 .

Have you thought about just using a BT3 install on a USB drive so you can update the tools? It's what I do.

edit: ohh and to make sure I can boot off it I use this trick in both floppy and CD form.

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 4, 2008

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Alowishus posted:

You need to configure sendmail to use a smarthost (where the smarthost is your existing mailserver):
code:
define(`SMART_HOST',`[smarthost.example.net]')dnl
That has to go into sendmail.mc and then you have to generate a new sendmail.cf. If that's not something familiar to you, I really recommend 'yum install postfix' followed by 'yum remove sendmail'. Postfix isn't nearly as retardedly difficult to configure as sendmail is... you'll be able to just read through the comments in /etc/postfix/main.cf and make pretty good sense of everything ("relayhost" would be the Postfix parameter for this particular situation).

I'm going to try and do this through sendmail. I might as well get some practice with it! thanks!

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
I want to be able to run `mount -t cifs` as a user, on the fly. I don't want to have to specify the share in /etc/fstab (which is a stupid idea anyway).

code:
~$ mount -t cifs //192.168.1.2/bum /mnt/bum -o username=bum,password=slum,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,rw,iocharset=utf8

mount: only root can do that
Can I chmod the command to be user executable, and if so, how?

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 23, 2020

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Is there a log file that will tell me why X sometimes won't restart with ctrl-alt-bksp?

edit: I think I found what's causing it.

code:
Mar  4 16:07:55 draxduo kernel: [  541.674442] smb_get_length: Invalid NBT packet, code=a2
Mar  4 16:08:25 draxduo kernel: [  571.655821] smb_add_request: request [ef190200, mid=7345] timed out!
Could Samba timing out cause X not to restart? It just hangs at the desktop background, never gets to command line.

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 4, 2008

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

I want to be able to run `mount -t cifs` as a user, on the fly. I don't want to have to specify the share in /etc/fstab (which is a stupid idea anyway).
You can use sudo to run a command as root. In /etc/sudoers add the line
code:
shoe ALL= /bin/mount, /bin/umount
Now the user shoe can run /bin/mount as root by saying
code:
sudo mount [i]args[/i]
at which point sudo will ask for your password. (It will cache your password for a few minutes if you want to run several commands.)

edit: You want umount as well of course.

Grey Area fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 4, 2008

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Alowishus posted:

Ok good... well you may have already done this, but now that you know where the rules are, go back to my previous post with my rewrite examples and see if you can adopt those for your situation. At least you'll be able to test now and see some results...

Got it, thanks! I started reading up on rewrite stuff and about had it when I saw your post. Whats that [L] switch do?.

also - Got the .htaccess so Im all square.

rugbert fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 5, 2008

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

If you were to put it in fstab with the "user" option, it should allow non-root users to mount it.

Are you saying it's stupid to put it in fstab due to the password info? If so, then there is a way to tell smbmount to reference a password in another file which can be restricted to root readable, though I'm not sure whether that will work in concert with the user option.

Another approach may be to use autofs.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Grey Area posted:

You can use sudo to run a command as root.

edit: You want umount as well of course.

Thanks, that's some useful info on /etc/sudoers but basically I was looking for a way to mount without requiring a password.

Alowishus posted:

Are you saying it's stupid to put it in fstab due to the password info? If so, then there is a way to tell smbmount to reference a password in another file which can be restricted to root readable, though I'm not sure whether that will work in concert with the user option.

Not only the password issue but having to specify it prior in a root-only config file defeats the idea of being able to mount random shares on the fly.

I should clarify that I'm trying to mount network shares on the fly without root permission using cifs (because smbfs is awful in comparison). The mount point is (of course) owned by the user.

chmod'ding the bins used to work for me, but no longer :|

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have a poo poo load of files in my /tmp directory and I want to remove some of them. They begin with A or B have the string 406 inside and end in .txt and/or .text.

I created this command

code:
rm a|b406.txt|.text
Is this correct? I'm getting conflicting reports that rm will alow regular expressions. Or are they not even needed?

I'm refrencing this page regarding regex and rm.

http://polishlinux.org/console/regular-expressions-and-search-patterns/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Twlight posted:

I have a poo poo load of files in my /tmp directory and I want to remove some of them. They begin with A or B have the string 406 inside and end in .txt and/or .text.

I created this command

code:
rm a|b406.txt|.text
Is this correct? I'm getting conflicting reports that rm will alow regular expressions. Or are they not even needed?

I'm refrencing this page regarding regex and rm.

http://polishlinux.org/console/regular-expressions-and-search-patterns/

rm doesn't grok regular expressions, but your shell can glob before rm sees arguments (man 7 glob). If you move onto e.g. find, you'd need to protect those pipes from your shell.