Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
I believe it was brought up several times in the Giant's forums that the Order of the Stick will not be converting to 4e. I wouldn't put it past him to make a few jokes about it, but all-in-all, nothing is going to change that way, I think.

Anyone know when we're getting the next book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I don't care what people say Belkar is funny as hell :)

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn

Appalitch posted:

I would be pretty bummed out if they pulled an "oh, they suddenly all got more powers and now have slightly updated costumes because of plot device."
I guess you were pretty bummed out about THE VERY FIRST STRIP then.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Gary Gygax died today. I hope he gets to hang out with Roy for a bit.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.
I wouldn't be surprised if the next strip has an homage or something to Gygax.

plastickiwi
Dec 19, 2001

Tickled purple

rantmo posted:

Gary Gygax died today. I hope he gets to hang out with Roy for a bit.

Is it wrong that my first thought upon hearing the news was, "Pffft, they'll Raise him as soon as they get back to town"?

... or that my second thought was, "Gary's dead!? I'm <rolls dice> ... overcome with grief!" (Double nerd score on that one.)

... or that my third thought was, "Who gets his stuff?"

The man was a legend, a giant among halflings. He was that special sort of nerd who looked at tabletop wargaming and actually thought, "We can make this nerdier."

The world is a poorer place.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

:siren:New strip is up:siren:

Whoever called Roy hanging with Gygax was dead on.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

team overhead smash posted:

Thank you Rich. Thank you Roy.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

team overhead smash posted:

I'm glad I was right, but dammit I'm getting all weepy over here. :unsmith:

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

rantmo posted:

I'm glad I was right, but dammit I'm getting all weepy over here. :unsmith:

I've felt that way since I found out. And for some reason I can't get Dan Fogelberg's 'Leader of the Band' out of my head.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Berlew's a pretty cool dude. A little sleepy and prone to illness, but cool nonetheless.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
What the gently caress server is OotS on, a tin can with some string to connect it to the routers?

Going through the archives is being made very loving difficult by the website's love of timing out 19 out of every 20 times I try to load any page.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

CapnAndy posted:

What the gently caress server is OotS on, a tin can with some string to connect it to the routers?

Going through the archives is being made very loving difficult by the website's love of timing out 19 out of every 20 times I try to load any page.

Burlew's cheap hosting is clearly a plot to get you to buy his books.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CapnAndy posted:

I'd imagine the Gygax strip is getting him far more hits than usual, and even under ordinary circumstances, the server gets hammered pretty hard when a new strip goes up.

Thinking about it, I wonder if that's part of the reason for his random update schedule.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
New strip:

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Hayley! Nooooo!

Oh, its just makeup. Nevermind.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Sefer posted:

New strip:

I really like this one for some reason. Maybe because it's a bit more subtle than some of the others - a joke about the players and about the game itself rather than a joke about the rules.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
Wow, Haley must be really dead! She's got asterisks in her eyes instead of X's!

(I'm almost expecting that to be the next joke)

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

DoctorTristan posted:

I really like this one for some reason. Maybe because it's a bit more subtle than some of the others - a joke about the players and about the game itself rather than a joke about the rules.

More than that, it is a joke regarding the way the game is being represented graphically in the strip, rather than the game itself (unless some handbook states that dead characters have "X" instead of eyes).

For some reason this kind of plot device annoys me to no end. Kinda like when cartoon characters get entagled in some tight situation and win because someone says "Wait! we are cartoon characters, so we can do anything we want!". It's okay when you are dealing with a purely gag-based project, á la Tex Avery; when the project is plot-based or relies heavily on a plot it seems cheap to me.

But that's just a pet peeve of mine. Rich still rules.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
I think he was referring to the dig about how the only solution for adventurers is to kill everyone.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Sick_Boy posted:

More than that, it is a joke regarding the way the game is being represented graphically in the strip, rather than the game itself (unless some handbook states that dead characters have "X" instead of eyes).

For some reason this kind of plot device annoys me to no end. Kinda like when cartoon characters get entagled in some tight situation and win because someone says "Wait! we are cartoon characters, so we can do anything we want!". It's okay when you are dealing with a purely gag-based project, á la Tex Avery; when the project is plot-based or relies heavily on a plot it seems cheap to me.

But that's just a pet peeve of mine. Rich still rules.

I'd say it's more them feigning death through the disguise skill (which is what the strip title alludes to) and then just making a gag about the visual representation of death in the strip through that. The plot is that they'll be feigning death, the gag is that being dead in the strip just means you have Xs for eyes. Their plan doesn't break the fourth wall but the gag kind of does.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
:siren:New strip for your viewing pleasure:siren:

(sorry about the format swipe team overhead smash)

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Rehosted just in case anyone can't get it to load.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

KOraithER posted:

I think he was referring to the dig about how the only solution for adventurers is to kill everyone.

Yes, after rereading his post, he probably was. My tangential rant stil stands :colbert:

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Man, I love this most recent update.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I think it's funny that the second to last comic made the joke that the dnd solution to just about everything is "kill it" while in this latest one Belkar solves a sticky situation by stabbing a foe in the face.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
How did Belkar kill an un-undead? Is the mark of justice gone?

\/\/\/Forgot about that part.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 12, 2008

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Soonmot posted:

How did Belkar kill an un-undead? Is the mark of justice gone?
Outside city walls.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
:siren:New strip is up:siren:. Symmetry is a grand thing.

3s Box
Oct 1, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Gyges posted:

:siren:New strip is up:siren:. Symmetry is a grand thing.

This is his funniest strip since the epic cleric fight from the seige.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

3s Box posted:

This is his funniest strip since the epic cleric fight from the seige.

I agree.

'You get that [spell]?'
"Law domain."
'Nice. And made my save.'

Finding out that Redcloak lied about the save DC makes that whole scene even better.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Finding out that Redcloak lied about the save DC makes that whole scene even better.

He didn't lie; the priest miscalculated his total roll.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I like how the gnome has a red pointed hat like the classic portrayal.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0540.html

I'm laughing pretty hard at this recent set of strips.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
That's glorious. "With my luck the next gnome I kill won't even HAVE any candy."

It's been pure gold since they got out of azure city and is now making me mad that we were there for so long in the first place.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm loving the Adventures of Belkar, Haley, and someannoyingbitchwithwings.

I really am.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Well, unfortunately, new update means it's time for a SCENE SHIFT!

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

LightWarden posted:

Well, unfortunately, new update means it's time for a SCENE SHIFT!

Oh noes! It's O-Chul!

I mean, it's Mr. Stiffly!

Choppable
Mar 18, 2004

Good to see the bad guys again. Is the "any old hack write a sourcebook"-part a reference to someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
There was a sourcebook released about a year ago about making deadly dungeons and in it was stats for acid sharks. I don't know who wrote it but I really hope he was just calling the writer a hack and it's not some self effacing remark.