Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
So I was watching about the new stuff coming to iPhone.. So do us iPod touch users get any access to this? AIM and games on my touch would be sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Dubling
Jun 19, 2006

I really do love to fart
What is the best FM tuner to use with a ipod touch? and how do I control the ipod while driving? Is there a app that makes extremely large buttons for volume and next song and pause?

Optimus Fish
Apr 16, 2003

g-c posted:

So I was watching about the new stuff coming to iPhone.. So do us iPod touch users get any access to this? AIM and games on my touch would be sweet.

Just like the latest app update, they're going to make us Touch users pay extra for them.

GroceryBagHead
Nov 28, 2000

Question: I purchased 20 dollar (stupid tax) of useless software that I never use on my Touch. Then Ipod shat itself for the second time and I got a replacement. Replacement came with 1.1.2 and with none of those apps of course. I can't for the life of me figure out how I can put that poo poo back. Not that I really need it, but I paid for it dammit.

Optimus Fish
Apr 16, 2003

GroceryBagHead posted:

Question: I purchased 20 dollar (stupid tax) of useless software that I never use on my Touch. Then Ipod shat itself for the second time and I got a replacement. Replacement came with 1.1.2 and with none of those apps of course. I can't for the life of me figure out how I can put that poo poo back. Not that I really need it, but I paid for it dammit.

uhhhh, if you still have your account linked through itunes, just run the update to 1.1.4 and I think it should still have you down as having bought it so it would put those applications back on there after the update.... because 1.1.2 didn't feature them, it was 1.1.3

GroceryBagHead
Nov 28, 2000

NUDE GENTLEMAN posted:

uhhhh, if you still have your account linked through itunes, just run the update to 1.1.4 and I think it should still have you down as having bought it so it would put those applications back on there after the update.... because 1.1.2 didn't feature them, it was 1.1.3

I did run update. Now I'm at 1.1.4. When ipod is connected I get 'Oh, buy our lovely apps for 20bux' screen. I go to "purchase" thinking maybe it will re-download the drat thing but then I get "Oh, seems you already bought the stupid update, congrats" message. Then I have no other option but to cancel. Yey! Syncing doesn't update software either.

WTF

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Ugh, this is so confusing. I had a Jailbroken 1.1.0/1?, and in a fit of stupidity brought on by not being allowed to install iphysics, updated to 1.4 and used Ziphone to re-jailbreak. All my apps from before the update still showed under the installer's "uninstall" menu but none of them were on the desktop. Figuring they needed to be reinstalled because of the update, I uninstalled and then reinstalled all of them but still, nothing shows up on my desktop other than the installer button and a link to the jerk who makes Ziphones blog. Is this the same problem that happens with FireFox extensions when a new version comes out and everybody's extensions stop working for a few days or am I missing something? I use Edict J-E E-J dictionaries several hours a day so I really need to get it working again. Oh, and I still can't install iphysics. I get the message "you must install BSD subsystem or Cydia first!" And I get the exact same message if I try to install either of those, wonderful.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
If I buy a touch today, do I get the 2.0 software for free or do I have to pay for that in June?

Shnikes
Mar 21, 2006

He really does hate you.

TeMpLaR posted:

If I buy a touch today, do I get the 2.0 software for free or do I have to pay for that in June?

Well you most likely no one will know until it comes out. If you need a touch get it now but if you don't it would probably be in your best interest to wait since it will be a a pretty decently big update since its changing X for the format of X.0.0 rather than a measly 1.1.X update.

Optimus Fish
Apr 16, 2003

False posted:

Ugh, this is so confusing. I had a Jailbroken 1.1.0/1?, and in a fit of stupidity brought on by not being allowed to install iphysics, updated to 1.4 and used Ziphone to re-jailbreak. All my apps from before the update still showed under the installer's "uninstall" menu but none of them were on the desktop. Figuring they needed to be reinstalled because of the update, I uninstalled and then reinstalled all of them but still, nothing shows up on my desktop other than the installer button and a link to the jerk who makes Ziphones blog. Is this the same problem that happens with FireFox extensions when a new version comes out and everybody's extensions stop working for a few days or am I missing something? I use Edict J-E E-J dictionaries several hours a day so I really need to get it working again. Oh, and I still can't install iphysics. I get the message "you must install BSD subsystem or Cydia first!" And I get the exact same message if I try to install either of those, wonderful.

All in all... you've hosed yourself royally. You can't just upgrade and then re-run the jailbreak. The only way to recover things is to start from scratch and jailbreak properly. This means doing a total restore to 1.1.4 and then running Ziphone, or doing it the old school way with the offical dev team's method which I posted a link to on the previous page.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001

False posted:

a link to the jerk who makes Ziphones blog.

don't call him a jerk.

look, all you have to do is restore your touch to factory settings, upgrade to 1.14, set it as new. make sure you set it as NEW.

then run the latest ziphone, and ONLY click jailbreak.

1 minute later, you'll see installer and his link.

go to installer refresh sources, install bsd subsystem. then start using your jailbroken touch. i'd also recommend going to sources and installing community sources.

now, to get the wiggle apps, just find them on installer, usually saying something like 1.13 apps.

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
Oh no. I dropped my touch.

I'm not too worried because everything still works. I dropped it from about 18" onto a hard floor. It fell flat, and did not scratch the screen or even leave a mark.

However, the LCD panel appears to have detached from the glass and is now sunk slightly into the device. There's a small gap, maybe 1/8" all the way around the screen that looks like the typical greyish beige of the touch while it's off. Everything works, it's mainly cosmetic. The digitizer is off, but it's such a tiny amount it's barely noticeable.

Has this happened to anyone, and is it fixable? The front bezel looks to be glued to the other side, and it looks like a major pain to get apart and then get together. Looking at some disassembly videos, maybe it's not glued, but it still looks like a pain in the rear end.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cush Bowl
Jul 25, 2007

V-Dubling posted:

What is the best FM tuner to use with a ipod touch? and how do I control the ipod while driving? Is there a app that makes extremely large buttons for volume and next song and pause?

I just ordered one of these today. http://www.carplayer.com/

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working

stoops posted:

don't call him a jerk.

look, all you have to do is restore your touch to factory settings, upgrade to 1.14, set it as new. make sure you set it as NEW.

then run the latest ziphone, and ONLY click jailbreak.

1 minute later, you'll see installer and his link.

go to installer refresh sources, install bsd subsystem. then start using your jailbroken touch. i'd also recommend going to sources and installing community sources.

now, to get the wiggle apps, just find them on installer, usually saying something like 1.13 apps.
Sorry about the Jerk thing, I was just really aggravated.
The general consensus that seemed to be emerging from the ipodtouchfans forums is that Ziphone only works consistently with 8gig ipods though this could be wrong. It can work on larger capacity ipods but it may take you a few hours of trying over and over again while praying to various gods and slaughtering chickens. There are two different versions of Ziphone and the seem equally random and ineffective.

I finally got installer onto my restored ipod but I am still having the same problem as before. I cant install any applications (dictionary, games BSD SUBSYSTEMS) without installing BSD Subsystems. Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind, I added more sources and its fine now. Apparently the stock repositories are out of date or something.

False fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 8, 2008

DJ_Flipped
Nov 1, 2003

Seven Minutes to Midnight...

False posted:

Edit: Nevermind, I added more sources and its fine now. Apparently the stock repositories are out of date or something.

Does anyone have any recommendations for sources to add if the stock ones are a bit old? (it's been 4 months since I last jailbroke my ipod.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Does anyone even know if the upgrade fees stack? I'm still at 1.1.1, if I were to upgrade to 2.0.0 for its fee, would the other five apps come with it?

Mike83
Jan 16, 2007

Charlie is genius, right, he's made from a million old pieces of bubble gum
Managed to jailbreak my 32GB touch, and installed a snazzy Invisible Skin on it yesterday, looks pretty good today :)

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Just a heads up for jailbreakers out there. The iBlackjack game has been disabled by its author in preparation of an official $ based release through the SDK and iTunes. Apparently the folks on the game's web page were not too happy to learn the game was crippled without warning. One theorized Apple cut a deal with the author because the game really is that drat good. Force people to pay for it. I'll say this it was pretty good and made good use of the touch screen, but I'm not thrilled he killed all copies without telling us this was trial software.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I don't know if this has been discussed before but if you are using the lock function on your touch and you're listening to music and you want to forward a track without hitting the home button and sliding to unlock if you just hit the home button twice it will come up with the functions to go forward or backward and volume control.

DJ_Flipped
Nov 1, 2003

Seven Minutes to Midnight...

OptimusMatrix posted:

I don't know if this has been discussed before but if you are using the lock function on your touch and you're listening to music and you want to forward a track without hitting the home button and sliding to unlock if you just hit the home button twice it will come up with the functions to go forward or backward and volume control.

I read about that earlier in the thread, but it deserves to be reiterated. This is a really neat feature.

Also, if you hate pressing the symbol key to get to a . or a , just hold it down and slide your finger over to the character you want. When you let go it goes back to ABC mode.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Whatever happened to they keyboard's caps lock in 1.1.3? Now I can hold the shift key in like a normal keyboard, but removing caps lock by double-tapping it seems a bit retarded.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

Vyze posted:

Whatever happened to they keyboard's caps lock in 1.1.3? Now I can hold the shift key in like a normal keyboard, but removing caps lock by double-tapping it seems a bit retarded.

You can turn it back on in the options menu. At least on the iPhone, but I'm assuming it's the same.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

trigger9631 posted:

You can turn it back on in the options menu. At least on the iPhone, but I'm assuming it's the same.
Well I'll be damned. Thanks!

Syrup Sponge
Feb 16, 2006
Some say he's half man, half fish, others say it's a 40/60 split, either way, he's one fishy bastard.
I can NOT get my loving touch to upgrade to 1.1.4!

I've got the stupid "unknown error (1602)" error. I've done everything that people have said on a google search (reset it, turn automatic lock off etc) but I still cant get the loving thing to update.

I want to update it so I can jailbreak it.

GRRRRRRR

InfiniteDonkey
Jul 27, 2007

I think I need a hug.
I just jailbreaked my 1.1.4 touch and without better knowledge changed the root password. Now my touch keeps crashing back to "edit home screen". Any way i can fix this or am i now stuck with a brick iPod?

Edit : Oh, i figured the restore myself. I was pressing the buttons the wrong way and now iTunes is restoring the software.

InfiniteDonkey fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 15, 2008

Optimus Fish
Apr 16, 2003

Syrup Sponge posted:

I can NOT get my loving touch to upgrade to 1.1.4!

I've got the stupid "unknown error (1602)" error. I've done everything that people have said on a google search (reset it, turn automatic lock off etc) but I still cant get the loving thing to update.

I want to update it so I can jailbreak it.

GRRRRRRR

1.1.4 basically doesn't have much of anything in terms of needing to upgrade. 1.1.3 is where mine is at and i'm leaving it until the SDK is released and hacked (which it already has been for the iphone).

If you want to jailbreak it, I still recommend the method linked... it's proven to work everytime if you can a.) read, and b.) comprehend

http://rupertgee.wordpress.com/2008/02/08/jailbreak-113-official-gui-3/

I still don't trust Ziphone with touch's, even my simple 8GB.

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
Is there anyway to transfer music into an ipod touch without itunes?

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?
I just jailbroke my iPod Touch using a new ZiPhone release that just came out specifically to enable iPod jailbreaking on all models. I was running a jailbroken 1.1.2 but I restored to 1.1.4 in iTunes and then ran ZiPhone, clicked the iPod Jailbreak button and about 45 seconds later it was done, no issues at all.

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
How many gigs is your ipod, tropical? I'm on a 16gb touch but I hear there are alot of problems with jailbreaking for it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tropical posted:

I just jailbroke my iPod Touch using a new ZiPhone release that just came out specifically to enable iPod jailbreaking on all models. I was running a jailbroken 1.1.2 but I restored to 1.1.4 in iTunes and then ran ZiPhone, clicked the iPod Jailbreak button and about 45 seconds later it was done, no issues at all.

I'm on 1.1.2 jailbroken as well, and I want to do the exact thing you just did. I've heard that ZiPhone has issues with the 16gb Touch, is this true? Could you link to the new ZiPhone release?

Optimus Fish
Apr 16, 2003
https://www.ziphone.org

He got a 32GB iPod Touch and found out the issue that was loving up the iPod's in the software, so apparently it's fixed with the latest release.

http://download.ziphone.org/

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

NUDE GENTLEMAN posted:

He got a 32GB iPod Touch and found out the issue that was loving up the iPod's in the software, so apparently it's fixed with the latest release.

So this is a better method then the one posted above? I got a 32gb touch coming in this week, so starting to read up on the jailbreaking methods.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

NUDE GENTLEMAN posted:

Just did this on my 16gb Touch, and it worked PERFECTLY. I restored to 1.1.4 in iTunes, downloaded and jailbroke with ZiPhone, and boom its done in 45 seconds. Thanks!!

Optimus Fish
Apr 16, 2003

oblomov posted:

So this is a better method then the one posted above? I got a 32gb touch coming in this week, so starting to read up on the jailbreaking methods.

In terms of ease, yes its a better method, plus it jailbreaks 1.1.4, which the official dev team release is only at 1.1.3 currently.

Also, since the guy actually finally got a 32GB Touch in, he found out that there was a piece of software that was inherently different from the iPhone's that was getting hosed up in the older releases of his software that was made for the iPhone. The new release has the code change in it so that it won't gently caress new Touch's up with this software change anymore. The reason most all of the old 8GB Touch's worked flawlessly is because they are stripped down iPhone's with iPhone coding still in the software. All new Touch revisions, including 8GB versions, have this new software JUST for the Touch's and so now that he's found all this poo poo out, ZiPhone is supposed to work flawlessly on all current Touch models.

As a side note, if this repo isn't in your sources, add it as it's a great one to have and is mentioned in the blog I posted earlier:

http://repo.ispazio.net/

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?

Shards of Fate posted:

How many gigs is your ipod, tropical? I'm on a 16gb touch but I hear there are alot of problems with jailbreaking for it.

Sorry, I forgot to include this.. I have a 16gb Touch. As mentioned above, the latest ZiPhone has a software fix which finally seems to allow working jailbreaks on the iPods.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I have a 16gb touch, jailbroken with the 1.1.2 firmware.

If I update to 1.1.4 in iTunes, can I use ziPhone to jailbreak it? Will I still have installer.app and my applications?

I could start from scratch, but if there's a faster way I'll definitely do that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LordOfThePants posted:

I have a 16gb touch, jailbroken with the 1.1.2 firmware.

If I update to 1.1.4 in iTunes, can I use ziPhone to jailbreak it? Will I still have installer.app and my applications?

I could start from scratch, but if there's a faster way I'll definitely do that.

I highly recommend you restore to 1.1.4 and then use the incredibly simple ZiPhone to jailbreak. It's just easier, and basically zero change of a problem. Just make a note of your favorite programs and FTP in to backup and themes or whatever, then install them again afterwards, it's pretty easy and fast.

Bob Vance
Aug 20, 2006

"Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration. Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration. Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration."
"So...what line of work you in, Bob?"
Does the iPod touch sync a lot slower than past iPods?

My 32gb touch took 2 hours to sync 600 songs (with about 30 videos in there).

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Bob Vance posted:

That's kinda ridiculous. My roommate's 16GB syncs at about the same speed as my 1Gen 2GB Nano but he only has music on there. How big are the videos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Bob Vance posted:

I finally got my new 32gb touch in this morning. So far I am not a happy camper. Transfer as you mention takes forever. It took me about 3 hours to transfer 25GB or so. Coupled with the fact that I'll have to spend time at least once a week transferring new music and videos, it's very disappointing.

Battery life is not great. I want to say it's quite a bit less then what a few of of my friends get with their iphones in airplane mode (2 8GB and 1 16GB). I would say I got between 4 to 5 hours of video playback on a fresh battery charge (wifi off) compared to around 6-7 for iphones. Maybe it's going to get better when it got a little use on it, but I somehow doubt that.

Also, screen is quite a bit worse then iphone. I did not expect that. I thought that issue was fixed. Considering the price of the 32GB, it's disappointing.
Oh, and the back of it is worse then iPhone as well. Keyboard in Safari was ok, but absolutely sucked for inputting passwords. It's almost unusable in portrait mode. I am thinking I just don't have enough practice here maybe. Lack of select/copy/paste is just as annoying as I thought it would be, especially with web browsing.

Sigh... I think Apple got too greedy here with the Touch. Considering the price, Steve could have just taken an iphone, left the cellular chipset off, added more space, but did not gut battery, bluetooth, screen, overall design (annoying aluminum back), and so on. I would have gladly traded the thinner profile to get the functionality which was taken out.

Well, back to the drawing board, I guess. Overall, I am not happy with this device. I think it's going to go back, and I'll get either the 80GB Classic (which has it's own issues with it's crappier wheel compared to 5.5G) or 32GB Zen. Zen, which also has SD expansion slot, is $200 cheaper. I am loath to lose couple chargers, cables, iTunes, car charger/rca in cable, and couple other accessories, so probably will just get the classic and wait for 32gb 3G iphone to come out.

• Locked thread