Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Wonder_Bread posted:

Anyone else listening to the Clipperton Atoll DXpedition? I'm picking up fairly strong CW signals on 7007khz in Eastern MA.
I've been listening/trying to listen to them for most of the day. Unfortunately:

1) My antenna sucks, so my reception of SSB isn't that great. There was someone on 7066 LSB around 0630-0700 UTC that I could hear decently, but he was down in the QRN pretty far and pretty unintelligible and I haven't figured out my FT-100 enough to try to pull him out.

2) I only got PSK31 and RTTY figured out (sort of, not really) yesterday for the first time, so trying to get a cap of them working RTTY pileups hasn't worked out so well so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
The whip antenna on my E5 snapped off! gently caress gently caress gently caress DOUBLE gently caress!

IonClash
Feb 27, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

The whip antenna on my E5 snapped off! gently caress gently caress gently caress DOUBLE gently caress!

Yeah, that sucks! Try some duct tape pronto!

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

So I've been thinking about picking up one of the Eton/Grundig models this weekend, either from a brick-and-mortar store, or off Amazon or some other site. Has anyone gotten their hands on a G6 yet? If so, does it offer anything better/worse than the G5?

Right now I guess I'm leaning towards a G5, just because that seems to be the best deal for the money and fairly easy to get into the whole thing with. If nobody has one of the G6s (which seem to be hard to get ahold of, since they seem to have only just begun selling them), I'll just run for the G5.

And then start trying to catch crazy numbers stations, instead of just listening to the CDs of the Conet Project.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Just bought an antenna tuner today to refine my listening experience. Bought an MJF-16010 tuner from Rimtai, a store in Taichung, central Taiwan. For anyone in Taiwan looking for SW or ham stuff, I can heartily recommend the place. Polo Huang (BV4BN), the boss, really knows his poo poo, is really friendly, and speaks pretty drat good English. Well worth the trip there.

The thing is, now that I've got the tuner, hooked it up and got it working, and I've heard twiddling it make a difference to signals in what little time I've played with it, but I don't understand how to use it effectively. It's got two dials, inductance and capacitance, but aside from just twisting them and mucking about, I don't know what's going on. Anyone either got some tips or able to point me in the direction of information on these things? Google's helping precisely poo poo on figuring this out....

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD

AstroZamboni posted:

Can you still pull the base out? Most whip antennas are held on by a screw so you can replace them.

SpazRobot
Dec 21, 2004
I am Nomad.

AstroZamboni posted:

There's actually a few E5 antennas floating around ebay... They're all under $10. Here's one- http://cgi.ebay.com/WHIP-ANTENNA-FO...7QQcmdZViewItem

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

TetsuoTW posted:

Just bought an antenna tuner today to refine my listening experience. Bought an MJF-16010 tuner from Rimtai, a store in Taichung, central Taiwan. For anyone in Taiwan looking for SW or ham stuff, I can heartily recommend the place. Polo Huang (BV4BN), the boss, really knows his poo poo, is really friendly, and speaks pretty drat good English. Well worth the trip there.

The thing is, now that I've got the tuner, hooked it up and got it working, and I've heard twiddling it make a difference to signals in what little time I've played with it, but I don't understand how to use it effectively. It's got two dials, inductance and capacitance, but aside from just twisting them and mucking about, I don't know what's going on. Anyone either got some tips or able to point me in the direction of information on these things? Google's helping precisely poo poo on figuring this out....

Antenna tuners are used by hams to basically match the impedence of their antenna to the impedence of their radio(usually 50ohms). It lowers the SWR between the radio and the tuner so that the radio can get more power out; however it doesn't change the impedence of the antenna itself. Either way I've gotta run; but that is the gist of it. I'm not sure how much a tuner will help reception; but I'm sure one of the other hams in this thread can chime in.

EDIT: Like nmfree said I'm not sure how much this will help you with reception; as I haven't gotten a chance to read too much about it.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 14, 2008

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

TetsuoTW posted:

First, and this goes for anyone buying anything from MFJ, open up the unit and check out the assembly quality inside; they don't say MFJ stands for "Mighty Fine Junk" for nothing. You're especially looking for bad solder joints.

Second, if you haven't found it already, here's the manual for your unit.

Last, after reading the manual, all I can say is that all you probably can do is fiddle with the knobs until it sounds the best. The 16010 is more meant to impedance match antennas to transmitters rather than preselect for receivers, so I don't know how successful you're going to ultimately be. (Unsolicited advice: I'd see if I can return it and get one of these instead.)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Thanks blugu64 and nmfree. I have had some luck using the 16010 to fine-tune reception, so it's not a total loss. Oh, and I did get the manual with it, but that manual doesn't really seem to be of any great help anyway.

I'll get in touch with Polo at Rimtai again and see if he can hook me up with a 1020C though. At the very least it can't hurt to have too much cool stuff to play with.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003
Add another $79.99 for an ebay G5

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Here's one for the more expert ears here. While out at one of my preferred out-of-town listening spots, I picked up a weird sound on 9565k, listening between 0937-0939z. I don't recall hearing this on the interference samples posted in the OP (IIRC), and I'm puzzled as to what it is. I've popped a recording up on Tindeck - the first 30s are in standard AM, then after that I flicked through LSB and USB for the rest. Does anyone have any ideas?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

And yet another question generated by my host nation's unique (read: loving retarded) situation:

I realize when sending out reception reports and requesting QSLs it's considered good form to include international reply coupons. As I discovered today while trying to mail a report to Voice of Mongolia, IRCs are, however, completely impossible to purchase in Taiwan, thanks to China consistently buttfucking every attempt to connect with the outside world Taiwan makes (Taiwan is neither a member of the UN nor of the Universal Postal Union). Would just throwing in a couple of US dollars and including in my letter an explanation of the situation generally be sufficient?

God I hate living in Taiwan sometimes.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

TetsuoTW posted:

And yet another question generated by my host nation's unique (read: loving retarded) situation:
"Greenstamps", as U.S. currency is sometimes called, is quite often accepted. Hell, many places prefer them to IRCs, since in many more backwater places IRCs are difficult/impossible to redeem. You shouldn't need to include any extra explanation.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Here's one for the more expert ears here. While out at one of my preferred out-of-town listening spots, I picked up a weird sound on 9565k, listening between 0937-0939z. I don't recall hearing this on the interference samples posted in the OP (IIRC), and I'm puzzled as to what it is. I've popped a recording up on Tindeck - the first 30s are in standard AM, then after that I flicked through LSB and USB for the rest. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sounds to me like a sound being distorted by helicopter blades

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

Sounds more like intentional jamming than anything else.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

nmfree - Yet again, thanks for the help. I'm planning on whipping up a page for the SA SW Wiki covering all this stuff I've asked/dug up regarding trying to indulge in this hobby in Taiwan, so that'll go right on the list.

international owl day/ValhallaSmith - Thanks to you two too. I kind of figured it could be jamming, but I'm still not sure. It's definitely not Firedrake, which seems to be China's primary method of jamming, I don't know if Japan or South Korea even jam stations, and North Korean jamming is generally much, much weaker than that. But who knows, maybe I just lucked into a strong jam from a different source.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

ValhallaSmith posted:

Sounds more like intentional jamming than anything else.

Aye, that sounds like very effective jamming - in the later modes I can hear a little bit of voice.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Is the IRC room dead, or did it never really take off (or is it more active at night, when more people are actually listening?)? I was kind of hoping I could ask people in it questions, to avoid making GBS threads up the thread here, but I have yet to see anyone in it over the last few days (granted, I work third shift for the next few months, so I may just be missing people).

I'm really torn; after finishing the thread and reading about all that shortwave listening has to offer, I really want to just grab a G5 and start up listening this weekend. However the G6 is (in theory) on the market right now, although I've yet to see anyone offering it up for actual sale and shipping and no reviews as to how it compares to the G5 are yet out. Plus I'm working third shift, which means I get two nights a week to listen (at least until I move out to Fort Collins in the summer, when I go back to a normal human schedule).

If anyone's heard anything about the G6/5 issue, and has any words of advice, I'd appreciate them.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

w_hat posted:

Add another $79.99 for an ebay G5

Added, natch.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I love getting my news via shortwave broadcasts!

I was listening to the U.S. station Radio Marti who broadcasts in Spanish and was running a story about how Cuba is evil because of the political prisoners that have been imprisoned there for five years ("Black Spring" they called it). I also enjoy their constant reminders that the Cuban people have the right to participate in their government.

Then, Radio Havana Cuba comes on and completely broadcasts OVER Radio Marti and runs such gems as:

"The U.S. is profiting from the conflict between Ecuador and Colombia."

"Everyone knows that the U.S. does not have the right to declare countries as harboring terrorists when their own government behaves VERY barbarically!"

Edit: all on frequency 6030 KHz

2nd edit: Actually, I'm listening to the Radio Havana broadcast on 6000 KHz. I thought that one station was broadcasting over the other. Not the case. Either way, Radio Havana = Awesome!

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 19, 2008

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Speaking of news, has anyone found any good sources reporting on the Tibet shitfight going on? China Radio International's a wash - obviously - and I would be surprised if Voice of Tibet's not having the poo poo jammed out of it in my neighborhood, if not further afield, so does anyone have any other ideas? I'm thinking of trying to make the most of my location and seeing if I can get anything out of Nepal, Bhutan, India, or Pakistan, but if anyone's had any luck already with these or anywhere else, I'd love to hear it.

E: If anyone's interested, Voice of Tibet keeps an archive of the past week's English-language news reports for listening as a stream or in MP3 format.

E2: False alarm. The site's in English, the summaries are in English, but the programmes are in Tibetan (or Mandarin). Bugger.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 19, 2008

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
Welp, I bought a Grundig G6 for $89.99. I hmm'd and haw'd about it for a few days before I broke down and ordered it. I look forward to playing with it!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Awesomonster posted:

Welp, I bought a Grundig G6 for $89.99. I hmm'd and haw'd about it for a few days before I broke down and ordered it. I look forward to playing with it!

I'll add this to the OP, and be sure to give us a DETAILED rundown when it arrives!

Where did you order it from, BTW?

TetsuoTW posted:

Speaking of news, has anyone found any good sources reporting on the Tibet shitfight going on? China Radio International's a wash - obviously - and I would be surprised if Voice of Tibet's not having the poo poo jammed out of it in my neighborhood, if not further afield, so does anyone have any other ideas? I'm thinking of trying to make the most of my location and seeing if I can get anything out of Nepal, Bhutan, India, or Pakistan, but if anyone's had any luck already with these or anywhere else, I'd love to hear it.

Radio free China might be a good source, since it is anti-communist and in opposition to pretty much avery drat thing the Chinese do.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Aw gently caress, disregard this loving post.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

AstroZamboni posted:

I'll add this to the OP, and be sure to give us a DETAILED rundown when it arrives!

Where did you order it from, BTW?

Radio free China might be a good source, since it is anti-communist and in opposition to pretty much avery drat thing the Chinese do.

I ordered it off of Amazon, from one of the sellers, since Amazon proper has none in stock.

I'm only just starting with shortwave radios, but I'll give as detailed of a rundown as I can as soon as it gets here!

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
So there's a Japanese news station that seems to be running a music show right now. It's kinda cool!

They're on 5961 KHz.

Right now they're playing a version of the song from Kill Bill. Sweet!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Awesomonster posted:

I ordered it off of Amazon, from one of the sellers, since Amazon proper has none in stock.

I'm only just starting with shortwave radios, but I'll give as detailed of a rundown as I can as soon as it gets here!

What is the estimated arrival date they gave you?

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

AstroZamboni posted:

What is the estimated arrival date they gave you?

Well, it should be shipped either today or tomorrow, and I usually get stuff pretty quickly after that, so I'm expecting it in the next few days, probably monday at the latest. I really hope to get it sooner than that, though!

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003
Okay just received my radio and passport and listened to radio Prague. Now all I need to know is why the hell there's an English radio Prague.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

w_hat posted:

Okay just received my radio and passport and listened to radio Prague. Now all I need to know is why the hell there's an English radio Prague.

Because there's an English language station, along with other languages, in every country.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

Illegal Clown posted:

Because there's an English language station, along with other languages, in every country.

And I think that's great! I just don't understand why the smaller countries bother.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

w_hat posted:

And I think that's great! I just don't understand why the smaller countries bother.

If I had to guess I would say it is because the smaller countries want us (meaning everyone) to care about them and share what's going on in their area. It just makes sense to broadcast in all the major languages to reach the most people possible. I, and probably everyone here, love to get the perspective of the world from other places, especially the propaganda type stations.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Yeah, English is quickly becoming the lingua franca of the world so it makes sense that most countries would broadcast in it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

w_hat posted:

They need to bother more than the big countries. How often do you hear anything about Slovakia or Mongolia in the news?

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Yeah, English is quickly becoming the lingua franca of the world
"Quickly becoming"? It's been the global lingua franca ever since France stopped being relevant.

O.G.
Aug 7, 2006

I guess you can add another $73.90 to the OP. This stuff has been fascinating the hell out of me, so I couldn't resist the need to buy a DE1103 from ebay. :sigh:

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
This is unbelievable! I can't shake this loving gospel station!!!! They broadcast anywhere from 3-9 MHz! They are every where. Right now, they broadcast OVER Radio Marti, Radio Habana, and basically anything else that's cool!

What's worse, this is all happening when I have my receiver set to the local setting and not the hyper sensitive DX setting. What can I do about this? How do I filter out a station that freaking broadcasts over everything?

What's strange is that I can't pin them down to a certain frequency. They come in nice and clear on the 3 and 6 MHz ranges. Depending on the time of day, they also come in very clear on the 2,3, and 9 MHz ranges.

This sucks. :(

O.G.
Aug 7, 2006

Would the 2005 edition of the Passport book be useful at all? I found one on a book sharing website I browse, so I could get it for free (sort of). How much does this stuff change over time?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

O.G. posted:

Would the 2005 edition of the Passport book be useful at all? I found one on a book sharing website I browse, so I could get it for free (sort of). How much does this stuff change over time?

Should still be useable, especially for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Holy poo poo graylining is fun as hell! Last night I managed to get back from work in time to hit up a good half-hour of solid grayline conditions, and while I didn't get too many stations, I was still hell of impressed with what I did get. I heard about 5 minutes of what I'm pretty sure what Radio Free Afghanistan on 19010k from 1017-1022, and a few minutes of what sounded like Arabic chanting coming across pretty clearly on 21495k between 1024 and 1027 (Radio Riyadh possibly?). Now that I see the possibilities, I'm definitely going to make more of an effort to see what I can find.

• Locked thread