Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DNE
Nov 24, 2007
I think Ogami will be just fine. Sumire and Kanna are understandably worrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
The idea of the two girls comparing notes falls on its face when you realize this would require them to discuss Ogami calmly and logically. This is difficult on the face of it, doubly so given the background level of "hijinx" the theatre generates.

He could probably say that to all the girls, not just the pilots, with the same lack of worry about being caught.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ZeeToo posted:

The idea of the two girls comparing notes falls on its face when you realize this would require them to think Ogami was important.

Fixed that for ya.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Glazius posted:

Fixed that for ya.
They think he's plenty important. He provides a great service of taking tickets and being a meat-shield (even though Kanna would probably be better at the taking damage part).

I also noticed Kanna's door had the traditional way of writing the hiragana right to left, as opposed to the modern left to right. I guess Sumire's is as well, it's just harder to see for some reason.

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."

Dash Magnum posted:

You know, strangely enough, Ogami's wishy-washy attitude towards all the girls is working surprisingly well. I mean you'd think by now the girls would have caught on and called him out on his bullshit.

Or is that where this is heading?

I used to read translated walkthroughs of these games somewhere and I believe there is a hilarious scene to this effect (coincidentally occurring in the bath).....not until game number 4, though. I think it was a bit more of a mass misunderstanding on the girls' part than Ogami being wishy-washy though.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.
Apologies for being so incredibly flaky lately. With any luck, I'll be able to get back to something resembling a reliable, regular update schedule by the end of the month. For now... well, we'll see.

Hopefully, the next update will be coming at the end of the week, if not earlier. That's moronically vague. Best case scenario: Thursday night. At latest: Saturday night.

In any case!

SeedyV posted:

All I can say is that I really hope you can keep this level of quality for the remainder of this game, much less the other four you claim to want to have a go at. :psyduck:

Thanks! I... uh, yeah, I hope so too. This is already turning into a contest of endurance, and I'm only on the first game. :pseudo:

On the plus side, the later games give a LOT of material to work with. For instance, Erica Fontaine, in all her awesomely vapid glory.

SeedyV posted:

I know voting is closed right now, but anyone but Kanna please. That distinct voice will forever be linked to Monkey D. Luffy for me, and the juxtaposition of that voice and the character in question is so hosed up I cannot even come close to sufficiently describe it.

She also voiced Krillin.

... I think I may have ruined Kanna for a number of other people now.

Classtoise posted:

Hell I think putting her in a steampunk Gundam is more for the enemies than herself. Also, I'm kind of impressed Sumire is alive.

$5 says that most of her injuries came from TRYING to hurt Kanna moreso than Kanna fighting back.

Yeah, I'm still horribly amused that it's been insinuated that MOST of the characters are able to take on Wakiji in one-on-one combat. At LEAST.

... and thanks to you, now I can kind of see Sumire trying to punch Kanna and failing miserably because her fist keeps bouncing off Kanna's huge muscles.

This WOULD explain how Sumire got her black eye. I don't think a punch from Kanna would result in anything as insignificant as a black eye.

Crono S. Magnum posted:

My copy of Super Robot Wars W just came and I'm probably gonna be spendin' the next few months power leveling GaoGaiGar to the high heavens.

I was planning on leveling Gaogaigar alongside the Arbalest and the Aestivalises, but then motherfucking VOLTRON just kind of stole their thunder just by existing as a playable character.

Dominic Hokage posted:

I'm surprised that with an outfit as... unrestrained as Sumire's, than when you step on her trailing robes, she doesn't just launch out the top when she trips.

Grunduggerer posted:

Sumire's costume looks a little more solid than her usual clothing. The corset-like piece around her midsection keeps it all in place.

Pretty much, yeah.

And compared to what other anime characters wear, Sumire's wardrobe isn't nearly as malfunction-prone as you'd think. I propose Forte Stollen from Galaxy Angel as an example. And maybe the lead from Grenadier, which is the most utterly unbelievable series in the existence of mankind. But I digress...

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Also the OVAs kick rear end. Thanks for getting me into this series.

Glad you like 'em!

I still maintain that Ogami looks like an utter moron in the OVAs, however.

Dash Magnum posted:

You know, strangely enough, Ogami's wishy-washy attitude towards all the girls is working surprisingly well. I mean you'd think by now the girls would have caught on and called him out on his bullshit.

Or is that where this is heading?

Fallen One posted:

I used to read translated walkthroughs of these games somewhere and I believe there is a hilarious scene to this effect (coincidentally occurring in the bath).....not until game number 4, though. I think it was a bit more of a mass misunderstanding on the girls' part than Ogami being wishy-washy though.

Pretty much, yeah.

Even though I tend to portray him as constantly living in fear of everything and everyone around him, it's kind of amazing what Ogami can get away with in this series.

Glazius posted:

Fixed that for ya.

That's harsh, man.

I mean, it's not as if his presence in battle is absolutely unnecessary, since all the girls are individually ten times stronger than he is, or that his simply being in the theater lowers everyone's efficiency and productivity by a very large amount!

:eng99:

CannonFodder posted:

They think he's plenty important. He provides a great service of taking tickets and being a meat-shield (even though Kanna would probably be better at the taking damage part).

Pretty much, yeah.

Ironically, Kanna's defense kind of blows under regular conditions; her entire character seems to be centered around beating the unholy poo poo out of enemies before they can so much as touch her. Not that you can usually TELL, if you can keep her happiness level at a decent level.

CannonFodder posted:

I also noticed Kanna's door had the traditional way of writing the hiragana right to left, as opposed to the modern left to right. I guess Sumire's is as well, it's just harder to see for some reason.

Yeah, they sneak this in pretty frequently; there's the Imperial Opretta Troupe sign in Yoneda's office, and the only other example that comes to mind is kind of a huge character-specific spoiler.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Spirit Armor posted:

Ironically, Kanna's defense kind of blows under regular conditions; her entire character seems to be centered around beating the unholy poo poo out of enemies before they can so much as touch her.

It's not her fault that they can't make robots sturdy enough for her to not rip apart from the inside out.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Spirit Armor posted:

Yeah, I'm still horribly amused that it's been insinuated that MOST of the characters are able to take on Wakiji in one-on-one combat. At LEAST.

... and thanks to you, now I can kind of see Sumire trying to punch Kanna and failing miserably because her fist keeps bouncing off Kanna's huge muscles.

This WOULD explain how Sumire got her black eye. I don't think a punch from Kanna would result in anything as insignificant as a black eye.

Of course, this brings up the question of why they even need the giant robots if they can all fight equally well on foot.

Besides the fact that robots are cool, of course. :colbert:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Wyvernil posted:

Of course, this brings up the question of why they even need the giant robots if they can all fight equally well on foot.

As far as the mecha genre is concerned, it's usually not worth it to pursue the question any further than that.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Wyvernil posted:

I think you sort of answered it.

I think they just need to justify their government grant by spending it on something. Plus, it helps as far as keeping Kanna amused.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

quote:

This sounds much more likely.

In fact I think Kanna's wounds are all self-inflicted. She doesn't want Sumire to feel bad.

See how sweet Kanna is? :3: Imagine what she's like when she actually likes you!

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!

Classtoise posted:

See how sweet Kanna is? :3: Imagine what she's like when she actually likes you!

Like Elmira from Tiny Toons? Only with the strength to crush cinderblocks with her bare hands? :gonk:

"I'm gonna hug 'im, and squeeze 'im, and love 'im, and..." :cry:

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

Check out the train station signs during the animations, too.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Dash Magnum posted:

Like Elmira from Tiny Toons? Only with the strength to crush cinderblocks with her bare hands? :gonk:

More like that big dog.

"I'm going to pump you up."

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mandoric posted:

Check out the train station signs during the animations, too.
Why, do they not have English right under the Japanese?

I guess it's all a nice reminder that this all is supposed to take place a good ways before WWII. I don't know why that means they would go to the US later on, but whatever. I doubt Yoneda would go with them (haven't played any of these games, I just don't know) because the US would be in the middle of Prohibition.

Dash Magnum posted:

Remember, Elmira had a little skull in her bow-hair-thing. I don't remember what her hair looked like, all I remember is the little skull.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

GruntyThrst posted:

More like that big dog.

"I'm going to pump you up."

:colbert: Kanna is cute shut up.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Classtoise posted:

:colbert: Kanna is cute shut up.

Cute like a steam powered locomotive. :v:

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

Cute like a steam powered locomotive. :v:

Steam-powered locomotives can totally be badass and manly like the Rolling Thunder cute, too.

... I think.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Spirit Armor posted:

Steam-powered locomotives can totally be badass and manly like the Rolling Thunder cute, too.

... I think.

Only if you have a train fetish. I'm not saying steam powered locomotives aren't loving awesome, but they are certainly not "cute."

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

Only if you have a train fetish. I'm not saying steam powered locomotives aren't loving awesome, but they are certainly not "cute."

After witnessing the rise of the OS-tan craze, after staring at the adorable Mecha Musume, and after reading the happy and heartful moe-anthropomorphised adventures of Afghanis-tan and her friends Pakis-tan, Uzbekis-tan, and Merikan from the 19th-century imperialist era up to the modern day, I stand in awe and horror at Japan's ability to make virtually anything cute (for a given value of "cute").

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006
a front row seat to the gun show

Kanna is cute. :colbert:

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Schadenfraulein posted:

Kanna is cute. :colbert:

Oh lord. What're you tryin to do here, give us diabeetus?! There's no way in hell I'm dealing with that Bradford fellow again dammit! :argh:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I'd take Kanna over some ditz that's doing her best to sound like Santa Claus when she laughs.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'd take Kanna over some ditz that's doing her best to sound like Santa Claus when she laughs.

Let us keep this civil, good sir. Do not force me to call the imperial gaurd upon thee. Their methods may be unorthidox, but their dedication to tracking "criminal scum" is great.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
Imperial Guard? Excuse me?
We all know there is only one with the power of Imperial Guard.
:commissar: Do I really need to say who?

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!
Guys, guys, guys! There'll be plenty of time for tearing each others' throats out once the voting restarts!

Besides, can't everybody see that all this infighting is only hurting the incompetent terrified hopeless innocent?

Before we tear this thread apart, let us remember the one thing we all enjoy: Ogami's eternal suffering

Won't someone think of the poor captain? :gbsmith:

(Edit: Apologies for the lovely scan. I work with what I gots.)

Dash Magnum fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 2, 2008

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Dash Magnum posted:

Ha ha! Silly captain fall down. :downsbravo:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Spirit Armor posted:

After witnessing the rise of the OS-tan craze, after staring at the adorable Mecha Musume, and after reading the happy and heartful moe-anthropomorphised adventures of Afghanis-tan and her friends Pakis-tan, Uzbekis-tan, and Merikan from the 19th-century imperialist era up to the modern day, I stand in awe and horror at Japan's ability to make virtually anything cute (for a given value of "cute").

Why do these things exist? Is there some explanation? CAN MATH OR SCIENCE EXPLAIN THE ANIME PERSONIFICATION OF OPERATING SYSTEMS?

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

GruntyThrst posted:

Why do these things exist? Is there some explanation? CAN MATH OR SCIENCE EXPLAIN THE ANIME PERSONIFICATION OF OPERATING SYSTEMS?

Because they were Ronery...

Fearsome Critter
Mar 2, 2008

PURPLE DRANK
ima grip and sip

Spirit Armor posted:

From the last one:

There is criticism that using the style of "moe" trivializes the situation. In particular, the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, an actual tragedy in which many died, were depicted as "an incident where a cat called Al-Qaeda bit America", a fact which was severely criticized in the secondary work, "Introduction to the Kashmir conflict (カシミール紛争入門, Introduction to the Kashmir conflict?)".

Oh, Japan! :neckbeard: :911:

Fearsome Critter fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 2, 2008

Fearsome Critter
Mar 2, 2008

PURPLE DRANK
ima grip and sip
Ignore: Quote does not equal edit.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

GruntyThrst posted:

It's easy to muster up seething tech-head rage when your image of the offending system is a malicious gremlin with the Microsoft logo stamped in the middle of its gigantic forehead.

It's hard to muster up seething tech-head rage when your image of the offending system is a clumsy maid.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Fearsome Critter posted:

From the last one:

There is criticism that using the style of "moe" trivializes the situation. In particular, the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, an actual tragedy in which many died, were depicted as "an incident where a cat called Al-Qaeda bit America", a fact which was severely criticized in the secondary work, "Introduction to the Kashmir conflict (カシミール紛争入門, Introduction to the Kashmir conflict?)".

Oh, Japan! :neckbeard: :911:

Since Ive got all of the comics I more or less had to post the one mentioned.

Here's another one just because.

(I hate when my copy suddenly refuses to be acknowledged and I notice it after posting.)

We now bring you back to your reguarly scheduled Sakura Taisen discussion.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 2, 2008

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Glazius posted:

It's easy to muster up seething tech-head rage when your image of the offending system is a malicious gremlin with the Microsoft logo stamped in the middle of its gigantic forehead.

It's hard to muster up seething tech-head rage when your image of the offending system is a clumsy maid.

Yeah, that sort of thing is easily explainable by the intersection of horrible tech nerds and horrible anime nerds yearning for an expression for their obsession.

Stuff like the countries and Nevada-tan are, in turn, easily explainable by the fact that Japan is completely loving misanthropic.

thatfeel
Jul 22, 2007

:cry: Oh god... Al Nyaida. This is really loving terrible.

But only because it's so cute too :smith:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Glazius posted:

It's easy to muster up seething tech-head rage when the image is the illegitimate child of Sakuya Izayoi and Dio Brando, but very difficult to voice it for fear of being crushed beneath a steamroller.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Solomonic posted:

It's easy to muster up seething tech-head rage when the image is the illegitimate child of Sakuya Izayoi and Dio Brando, but very difficult to voice it for fear of being crushed beneath a steamroller.
I don't think voicing it would make much difference. Sakuya hardly needs something so mundane as an excuse before she starts murdering people.

Grunduggerer
Jan 20, 2007

Spirit Armor posted:

Mecha Musume

Wow. Just... wow.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Grunduggerer posted:

Wow. Just... wow.

I hate to say it, but being an armchair WW2 historian, I thought it was kind of neat. Although I'm still confused why the hell they have to have animal parts too.

VVVVV- Yeah. Japan is all-or-nothing it seems. There is no middle ground in Japan.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

GruntyThrst posted:

I hate to say it, but being an armchair WW2 historian, I thought it was kind of neat. Although I'm still confused why the hell they have to have animal parts too.
If you're drawing one ridiculous fetish might as well throw in a second one while you're at it. :eng101:

• Locked thread