Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valgarv
Mar 2, 2005
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice regarding engine swaps? I've found a smallblock chevy v8 and a rebuilt sm 465 manual tranny. The engine has all the wiring, the computer, alternator. Jeep currently has a 4Cylinder 2.5L AMC, and an AX5 tranny. Am I missing anything or any advice before I buy it and start taking things apart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Valgarv posted:

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice regarding engine swaps? I've found a smallblock chevy v8 and a rebuilt sm 465 manual tranny. The engine has all the wiring, the computer, alternator. Jeep currently has a 4Cylinder 2.5L AMC, and an AX5 tranny. Am I missing anything or any advice before I buy it and start taking things apart?

Your going to probably want to trade out the whole drive train and beef up the suspension for this swap. What axles does it have?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
The SM465 is a real beast, isn't it?

Probably not going to be fun or cheap to mate it to a transfer case. Do you know which version you have?

Valgarv
Mar 2, 2005
As far as I know the axles are stock. I have a np231 transfer case which from what I've read should be able to take the sm 465.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Valgarv posted:

Not a popular swap but I am swapping out the 2.8l V6 for the 2.1l Renault Turbo Diesel

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Valgarv posted:

As far as I know the axles are stock. I have a np231 transfer case which from what I've read should be able to take the sm 465.

Depending on what year you are probably running a dana 30 up front and a dana 35 out back. If that is the case a v8 will trash those pretty easily. Use this to try and figure out what you have or take pictures and post them here.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
Do all Dana 44's have a recessed drain plug in the bottom? I had previously thought that drain plugs (as opposed to just popping off the plate) were a Toyota thing (where there is no plate, just a removeable third which is actually awesome, but too involved for just changing the fluid)?

I don't remember my friend's XJ with a d44 having a drain plug (we sure didn't use it) - but the early Dana 44's under the Willys MBs and Ford GPWs at work have drain plugs (which is loving awesome).

Valgarv
Mar 2, 2005

This is my rear axle, which looks like Dana 35, the front axle looks the same. So it looks like I need some new axles, any suggestions? I remember reading somewhere that Dana 44's were the way to go, this true?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Valgarv posted:

This is my rear axle, which looks like Dana 35, the front axle looks the same. So it looks like I need some new axles, any suggestions? I remember reading somewhere that Dana 44's were the way to go, this true?

Dana 44 or up depending on what tires and such you want to run.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

Valgarv posted:

Everyone says that, but IMO it is mostly true for when you are shopping for a Jeep. If I'm going to build an off-roader and will be swapping the axles (which if I were you I wouldn't do until those 35s let go, it could be a LONG time if you are careful with the skinny pedal - or it could be sooner) I'd go for Dana 60s or some other full-size truck axle. In my experience they are probably just as easy to find (there are a lot of 1 ton trucks in junkyards with perfectly fine axles), you will need to do some fabricating though - but you'll end up with an axle that can take huge tires + abuse and pretty much never break.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Disciple of Pain posted:

Everyone says that, but IMO it is mostly true for when you are shopping for a Jeep. If I'm going to build an off-roader and will be swapping the axles (which if I were you I wouldn't do until those 35s let go, it could be a LONG time if you are careful with the skinny pedal - or it could be sooner) I'd go for Dana 60s or some other full-size truck axle. In my experience they are probably just as easy to find (there are a lot of 1 ton trucks in junkyards with perfectly fine axles), you will need to do some fabricating though - but you'll end up with an axle that can take huge tires + abuse and pretty much never break.

It depends on what type of offroader he is trying to build. If he just wants something with 33" tires I wouldn't go over a dana 44 because you are just losing ground clearance. Not everything need to be overbuilt. If he does want to go big then more power to him.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

Atticus_1354 posted:

It depends on what type of offroader he is trying to build. If he just wants something with 33" tires I wouldn't go over a dana 44 because you are just losing ground clearance. Not everything need to be overbuilt. If he does want to go big then more power to him.

If you aren't going to go over 33" tires then I would definitely wait until the d35s break. Maybe when one goes do both, probably not though assuming the rear goes first.

Valgarv
Mar 2, 2005
Right now I have 33's on it, I'd like the option down the line to put bigger tires on, maybe after these wear out. How light do I need to be on the gas so I don't rip these things apart? if they do collapse what kind of damage will it cause?

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

Valgarv posted:

Right now I have 33's on it, I'd like the option down the line to put bigger tires on, maybe after these wear out. How light do I need to be on the gas so I don't rip these things apart? if they do collapse what kind of damage will it cause?

As far as I've ever seen (and I've seen some pretty trashed d44's coming in on WWII Jeeps), if the axle goes, the axle will need to be replaced. I can't see any reason anything else will be damaged (axle shafts might be, but you'd be replacing those with the new axle anyway).

I'm guessing they aren't full floated axles so if you really gently caress the axle bad you might have a tough time moving the truck out of where it happens. On a FF you can carry some non-locking front hub pieces and if you grenade the axle you can simply pull the axle shafts, install those pieces in their place (rear wheels are now free-spinning), and then drop the rear driveshaft off of the xfer case and tie it up and out of the way. Congrats you have a FWD Jeep to get you home. Process would be similar if you grenade the front, except you could just put it in 2WD instead of loving with the driveshaft and just unlock your front hubs if you have lockouts.
That said I'm 99% sure those axles are no full floating so it might be a lot more difficult.

Usually you'll have a warning sign before an axle go so bad you are STUCK where you are because it is so disabled.

Eotnak
Apr 26, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How hard is it to drop in that 4.3? I always thought behind the 4.0, the 4.3 would be the next runner up, due to good amount torque on the low end, but have the horse power when hauling tail down the interstate.

I was an awesome motor. I think it had about 215k on it when I sold it. Speaking for YJ's At the time, the options were limited. The best was getting an adapter for a 2WD sm465 transmission (chevy 4 speed) this one is nice because it has a PTO option for all kinds of fun stuff. At the time only Advance Adapters was making an adapter to mate to the NP231 transfer case. The second best option was to use the Jeep AX15 (5 spd came with 4.0L or 4.2L) with a special bellhousing that allowed you to bolt up to the Chevy 90º engines. Right after I got done they came out with the NV3500 to NP231 adapter. I don't know if they had PTO but they had that nice overdrive gear for the highway. There was also a TH350 to NP231 adapter for the automatics.

Back then it sounded a lot easier than it was especially when you threw in fuel injection. Nowadays there's at least 3 different companies making countless adapters and wiring harnesses, it just takes some research and general know-how.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Disciple of Pain posted:

Do all Dana 44's have a recessed drain plug in the bottom?

Bottom of the diff? Not that I've seen. Maybe it's a military-only thing. You can still suck the fluid out through the fill plug on the cover.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Well we had a good rain storm last night which means I had to go for a little drive. The area is all red clay and sand, so there was a lot of washed out ruts and mud puddles. I did get stuck leaving because I put it in 2wd and then hit a mud puddle at the bottom of a small hill that was hidden by grass. I have to say that driving through loose wet sand it more fun than I would imagine.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Bottom of the diff? Not that I've seen. Maybe it's a military-only thing. You can still suck the fluid out through the fill plug on the cover.

Meh. Sucking it out sucks. Yeah, bottom of the diff on the military ones (I don't know if a CJ2A axle would be the same, possibly) has a place for a 1/2" square drive (ie ratchet) to drain from the bottom. It is totally recessed/flush with the housing which is probably why I never noticed it in 3 years of loving with those old heaps.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Disciple of Pain posted:

Do all Dana 44's have a recessed drain plug in the bottom? I had previously thought that drain plugs (as opposed to just popping off the plate) were a Toyota thing (where there is no plate, just a removeable third which is actually awesome, but too involved for just changing the fluid)?

I don't remember my friend's XJ with a d44 having a drain plug (we sure didn't use it) - but the early Dana 44's under the Willys MBs and Ford GPWs at work have drain plugs (which is loving awesome).

MB's and GPW's didn't use D44's, which is why you're confused. D44's don't have drain plugs in the bottom. D44's showed up in Jeeps starting with the CJ-3A. You're probably referring to Spicer 23's if you're talking about MB and GPW Jeeps.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

murphle posted:

MB's and GPW's didn't use D44's, which is why you're confused. D44's don't have drain plugs in the bottom. D44's showed up in Jeeps starting with the CJ-3A. You're probably referring to Spicer 23's if you're talking about MB and GPW Jeeps.

Haha. Yeah, you're right. I had always looked at diagrams like those above and assumed they were 44s. They have covers that pretty much look like 44 covers. I just looked in the US Army manual and it is a Dana-Spicer 23-2 in the rear and a Dana 25 in the front. There you have it.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Fort Wayne you say?

I also happen to be a Fort Wayne Jeep owner.
Interesting, what area of town do you live in and what kind of Jeep do you drive?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tonedef131 posted:

Interesting, what area of town do you live in and what kind of Jeep do you drive?

I live right in the center of town, just past the Anthony and Crescent intersection. My trusty steed is a 99 Cherokee Sport. And of things go to plan I'll soon be the proud owner of a totally free 2008 Patriot. But no worries! Still keeping the Cherokee!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Just a friendly reminder to everyone to get and and exercise your transfer case.

I really love my cherokee. No I didn't go all the way over. To little ground clearance and to much rebar sticking out.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I just noticed a little bit of some kind of red liquid under my Jeep today. Hmm, what ever could it be?

Another thing to fix before I can get out on the trail. Ugh.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I just noticed a little bit of some kind of red liquid under my Jeep today. Hmm, what ever could it be?

Another thing to fix before I can get out on the trail. Ugh.

Power steering fluid?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Tranny or Tcase. It was under the center. On the plus side, I haven't noticed leaking gas as of late! :q:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Tranny or Tcase. It was under the center. On the plus side, I haven't noticed leaking gas as of late! :q:

My friend took off his trany/tcase skid plate on his old truck and all his tranny fluid had pooled on it. It dumped straight on his face. Good luck hunting down the leak.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
My Cherokee has been blowing oil out of the dipstick tube as of late and has been making a big mess. I've checked the PCV hoses and they're all clean, I don't know what it is :(

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
This is our friend's Jeep. Unfortunately this was taken from ours, which I can't seem to find any pictures of currently. I will update when I can. Onto the Jeep love:

Bonus points if you can guess the model from the pictures!

PS Its a CJ-8

Also, I'm terribly sad. My first car was a '98 TJ, but I have since been forced into an '02 KJ.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Blackmage Yapo posted:

PS Its a CJ-8

Someday I will have a cj8. I pulled up to a stop light a while back and a guy in a cj8 with 36" tires pulled up next to me. He challenge me to a street race and stomped all over my cherokee. Turns out that wonderful rumble his jeep was making was from a 401 he swapped in to it.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
Here's what I'm currently building at work: http://rubitrux.com/

RubiTrux, a crazy scheme made up by my boss to make modern day CJ8's. They don't seem to be selling very well.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Jack_Handey posted:

Here's what I'm currently building at work: http://rubitrux.com/

RubiTrux, a crazy scheme made up by my boss to make modern day CJ8's. They don't seem to be selling very well.

Sweet. I would love one of those if I had the money. It seems to be a better price point than the brute kit.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
That particular CJ-8 happens to have an I6 from an '06 TJ if I'm not terribly mistaken. He also managed to rig up a bike throttle to do cruise control/crawling with that works amazingly well for the application.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Atticus_1354 posted:

My friend took off his trany/tcase skid plate on his old truck and all his tranny fluid had pooled on it. It dumped straight on his face. Good luck hunting down the leak.

I'm hoping it's just the line to the cooler. It was leaking at the cooler earlier, so I should just replace the line anyway. I think I gotta rebuilt the tcase, too, so I hope somewhere in there the problem will get fixed.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Turns out that wonderful rumble his jeep was making was from a 401 he swapped in to it.

This is where all my 401s are going! :argh:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

This is where all my 401s are going! :argh:

There was a trashed old cherokee with a 401 on craigslist the other day and I almost bought it. The guy wanted $600 and the body was not to bad, but it lacked a drive train besides the engine. If only I had a place to put it.

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006
So, my Comanche has a set of Hankook radials on it currently, size 215/75 R15. What are some decent, fairly inexpensive all-terrain tires that would fit my rims? I would like to do some mild off roading this summer, and the tires on it now are definatly not going to cut it

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Atticus_1354 posted:

There was a trashed old cherokee with a 401 on craigslist the other day and I almost bought it. The guy wanted $600 and the body was not to bad, but it lacked a drive train besides the engine. If only I had a place to put it.

I saw a Cherokee a long time ago with a 401 for $1200. The body looked great, but the back window was stuck down so there was probably rust all in the cargo area. I haven't seen any 401s since.

I should have bought it. The rust wouldn't scare me away now.

Cherokees are so badass too.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I saw a Cherokee a long time ago with a 401 for $1200. The body looked great, but the back window was stuck down so there was probably rust all in the cargo area. I haven't seen any 401s since.

I should have bought it. The rust wouldn't scare me away now.

Cherokees are so badass too.

I would love to get a fsj and fix it up for camping and exploring. Probably wont be very many around when I am able to afford it.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

russ6570 posted:

So, my Comanche has a set of Hankook radials on it currently, size 215/75 R15. What are some decent, fairly inexpensive all-terrain tires that would fit my rims? I would like to do some mild off roading this summer, and the tires on it now are definatly not going to cut it

30"x9.50 will be the max depending on your current suspension.

Anything wider will rub on your control arms (need new rims), and anything taller will definitely rub your fenders.

Edit: 30's may still rub your suspension even from the factory. You're 100% safe with 235/75/r15 if your leafs aren't sagged. I'd still go with 30's though.

MrZig fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 20, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Atticus_1354 posted:

I would love to get a fsj and fix it up for camping and exploring. Probably wont be very many around when I am able to afford it.

They're not that expensive now. Just do it man.

But seriously, I don't think FSJs are going to get that much more expensive in the future. You can still get J trucks for pretty cheap now. I can see Cherokees and J trucks getting pricey, but there will always be Wagoneers around.