Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey wiz
Jun 18, 2005

Grrr. Can't read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derdewey
Dec 3, 2004
Oh snapz. I just needed to be patient after applying those indices. I guess that slowness is pretty much flat no matter the result size. So it only takes 5 minutes to dump 1.7million records in the square table format. Hawt.

derdewey fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 29, 2008

Stephen
Feb 6, 2004

Stoned
This may not be a small question, but I'll ask it anyways:

When is it a good idea to stop using MySQL? My company is interested in expanding a local site on a national level, and we're currently using PHP/MySQL. If the proposed plan is launched on a national level, the database will grow exponentially, and rather than fix a huge problem down the road when there are more clients and more data to manage, it would be good to know what/when the limits of MySQL are so that an investment into SQL Server or Oracle could be made.

Obviously this isn't a cut and dried question, but I have never used MySQL on a huge scale before.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Stephen posted:

Obviously this isn't a cut and dried question, but I have never used MySQL on a huge scale before.

What do you consider "huge"?

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

Stephen posted:

I worked on a PHP/MySQL site before that started small and got somewhat large. It now has about 20 million records or so in it and gets a lot of use.

The performance issues we ran into were nothing to do with MySQL though, it all had to do with lovely queries, missing indexes, and amateur PHP code, so even if it were an oracle backend we would have had the same troubles.

So yeah, you should be fine but plan on fixing some things and doing some tweaks here and there as well as troubleshooting/optimizing slow queries.

Stephen
Feb 6, 2004

Stoned
I think the main problem we've had so far that I couldn't find a way around in MySQL was indexing a datetime column. MySQL really seems to gently caress up whenever I try to do this and I've read a lot of the same complaints. There are features to the website that are tracking page views/week etc. so querying by date on a views table with millions of entries is really problematic.

Other than that, it's been working really well, I just don't want to find out 4 months down the road that MySQL is terrible at handling millions of records or something like that.

fez2
Jan 24, 2002

I'm working with SQL Server 2005. It's the backend for an ASP page. Can I create a temporary table for each session for certain pages? Is the overhead involved insane (I'm looking at 1000 concurrent users)?

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

Jethro posted:

code:
       AND planes.plane_id not in
          (SELECT plane_id
             FROM tags
            WHERE tag = 'Turbine')

this is exactly what I needed, thanks

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

fez2 posted:

I'm working with SQL Server 2005. It's the backend for an ASP page. Can I create a temporary table for each session for certain pages? Is the overhead involved insane (I'm looking at 1000 concurrent users)?

I'm curious about the background of your project, and what exactly would cause you to ask if juggling ~1000 temp tables is acceptable overhead.

Not saying it's not, maybe you have some crazy requirements.

Ardhanari
Mar 23, 2006

epswing posted:

I'm curious about the background of your project, and what exactly would cause you to ask if juggling ~1000 temp tables is acceptable overhead.

Not saying it's not, maybe you have some crazy requirements.

Yeah... but I don't see why fez couldn't just have one table, temp or not, keyed on session ID. What the hell is going on there?

fez2
Jan 24, 2002

Actually it's not that crazy. It's a website to support agile development.

Basically, we're modelling elements of that process. Each time an element is updated or inserted, we have to write it out to a history table. It's a piece of cake for the main table, but each element can have any number of references or relationships associated with it.

I'm looking for a way to have users open the references for an element, change them then commit only one save so that the history table doesn't get cluttered up with tons of atomic changes (it's supposed to be more of a version tracker).

They kind of threw me to the wolves on this one. I'm a new hire and I hadn't touch ASP before this. I've got about 2 weeks to go before this is deployed and this is the last major hurtle.

A table keyed on sessionID is a pretty good idea.

Casimirus
Mar 28, 2005
Yes.
Is there any way to access external databases dynamically from within a stored procedure?

I'm using MSSQL 2005, and I figured out that I can access external databases if I know their name ahead of time, like
code:
SELECT * from master.sys.databases
What I can't figure out is how to take a database name passed to the stored procedure and then access things like
code:
SELECT * from [@otherdatabase].atable
I know that it's not best practice or whatever, but this is for something to be run manually. I guess I could build my statement in a string and call that system stored procedure that executes SQL, but that would be a nightmare. If I do have to go that route though, will that gently caress up a transaction?

Ardhanari
Mar 23, 2006

Casimirus posted:

What I can't figure out is how to take a database name passed to the stored procedure and then access things like
code:
I know that it's not best practice or whatever, but this is for something to be run manually. I guess I could build my statement in a string and call that system stored procedure that executes SQL, but that would be a nightmare. If I do have to go that route though, will that gently caress up a transaction?

Yeah, it won't let you do that directly. For what you're doing, you might be able to get away with
code:
EXEC 'USE ' + @otherdatabase
to switch over and then execute the rest of your stuff normally, but if there's anything more than that you'll have to go with dynamic SQL through the whole thing. Erland Sommarskog has what I guess is kind of the bible for that.

chocojosh
Jun 9, 2007

D00D.

Casimirus posted:

Is there any way to access external databases dynamically from within a stored procedure?

I'm using MSSQL 2005, and I figured out that I can access external databases if I know their name ahead of time, like
code:
SELECT * from master.sys.databases
code:

I"ve done a lot of work with sp_executesql. sp_executesql is miles above EXEC (checks for sql injection AND can create/store an execution plan!) and is worth the extra hassles in using it.

I don't see why sp_executesql would gently caress up a transaction. I might suggest though that you don't do a transaction in it, but that you use @@ERROR (Sql server 2000) or TRY/CATCH (Sql server 2005) in the caller of the sp_executesql to handle your transaction.

code:
BEGIN TRY

BEGIN TRANS
  //BUILD SP_EXECUTE SQL string
   sp_executesql <string>,
       @param1 = @value1,
       @param2 = @value2,

COMMIT TRANS
END TRY

BEGIN CATCH
   ROLLBACK TRANS
END CATCH

Ardhanari
Mar 23, 2006

Ardhanari posted:

code:
EXEC 'USE ' + @otherdatabase

Or, poo poo, I thought of this this morning but didn't have time to post: is there anything keeping you from using sp_addlinkedserver?

Casimirus
Mar 28, 2005
Yes.
Cool thanks guys, I think I'll end up going with synonyms as suggested by that link, since this is being run manually anyways.

Casimirus fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 3, 2008

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

One thing I've always hated about the Jet engine: it has different SQL standards for local Access connections and for external ODBC/ADO/DAO connections.

For example, inside Access you can use the 'Nz([FieldName]) AS' function to replace NULL records with zeros or empty strings. However, if you are querying an Access DB externally, you can't use 'Nz' at all!

Also, Jet doesn't support 'COALESCE', or anything like it. So instead, I have to use 'IIF' instead to weed out NULLs or other undesireables.

Is there a better way to do this?

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
To begin with, I'm a beginner to SQL.
Is there a more elegant way to write this so that I can include PSOFT_RQMT_PAY in my WHERE clause afterwards?
This is in MS Access 2003, and it doesn't seem to want to let me use the alias in the WHERE.

code:
SELECT c.PRI            AS PAY_PRI, 
       w.NATIONAL_ID    AS PSOFT_PRI, 
       c.POSNO          AS PAY_POS, 
       p.JUSTICE_NBR    AS PSOFT_POS, 
       c.BRAMT          AS PAY_BONUS, 
       c.BILBO          AS PAY_BILBO, 
       c.APPSTAT        AS PAY_LANGSTAT, 
       (SELECT p1.LNG_RQMT_PSN 
        FROM   POS AS p1 
        WHERE  c.POSNO = p1.JUSTICE_NBR) AS [PSOFT_RQMT_PAY], 
       p.LNG_RQMT_PSN   AS ACTUAL_POS_LANGREQ, 
       w.OFF_LNG_STATUS AS EMP_LNG_STATUS 

FROM   (C2565 AS c 
        LEFT OUTER JOIN WTR AS w 
          ON c.PRI = w.NATIONAL_ID) 
       LEFT OUTER JOIN POS AS p 
         ON w.JUSTICE_NBR = p.JUSTICE_NBR 

WHERE  c.BILBO = 'Y' 
        OR p.LNG_RQMT_PSN = 1 
        [b]OR (SELECT p1.LNG_RQMT_PSN 
            FROM   POS AS p1 
            WHERE  c.POSNO = p1.JUSTICE_NBR) = 1[/b]  
If I wanted to filter PSOFT_RQMT_PAY in the WHERE, I have to copy the entire statement back in there and it significantly increases the time for the query to run.

I bolded the problematic part. In a perfect world, I would like to simplify this to:

code:
WHERE  c.BILBO = 'Y' 
        OR p.LNG_RQMT_PSN = 1 
        [b]OR PSOFT_RQMT_PAY = 1[/b]
But that doesn't work. Any ideas?
The tables are linking correctly and outputing the information I want, it's really just when filtering the results with the WHERE that I'm getting a snag. My original code works, but it's so slow.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
A quick one.

Performance wise, which is better - a stored procedure or a view with a where clause attached?

Case in point - I'm ripping a bunch of enormous queries out of a VB.NET DLL we use for gathering purchase order data, both for performance and for debugging purposes. These queries typically take a few parameters, and aren't terribly complicated [no need for dynamic sql, just need to plug the params in] but they are rather big.

Would it be better to put them into stored procedures with parameters, or into a view, filtering the view based on the params? As far as I knew stored procedures were always better due to their speed, and views weren't really any better performance wise.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
I'm not a fan of reinventing the wheel, and this problem seems of the kind that's been solved a hundred billion times before. Googling hasn't gotten me very far though.

The situation is this: I have a MySQL database with a single table, with around 20 columns. Employees from different departments will want to view data from this table for different purposes, so one might want just columns 1,5,9 and 13 while another only want's to see columns 2 and 9.

I need a simple web interface that basically says "Select the columns you want to see, the date range and press submit." I whipped together something similar to this in PHP but I'm not really happy with it, and I'm positive there's some kind of ready-made solution for this seemingly very common problem.

clone
Apr 19, 2002
I am making a fairly simple database at work importing data from the work system so i can create pretty formatted word lists. I can do the easy queries with access but the syntax is troubling me on more complicated ones.

I believe I need to do some sort of self referencing query, but i cannot figure it out.

This is my database (Access 2000)

What I want is a list of each person and their most recent location (TOP 1, determined by the link_location.date_created) while other.active is true.

So I will end up with something like.

Joe, Bloggs, 1/1/1990, 90, Bolobo Lane, Bum, NSW, 02/06/2008
Gerry, Ger, 4/5/1945, 1, Atle Street, Heffa, QLD, 03/06/2008

etc.

Where Joe Bloggs and Gerry Ger have many locations but their most current is as above.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

clone posted:

I am making a fairly simple database at work importing data from the work system so i can create pretty formatted word lists. I can do the easy queries with access but the syntax is troubling me on more complicated ones.

When I've had to do this in Access I usually create a query, called something like link_location_maxdate, to determine the max date_created for each person_id in link_location. Then insert link_location_maxdate into the one you have above between person and link_location.

You would join person.person_id to link_location_maxdate.person_id and then join link_location_maxdate.person_id to link_location.person_id and link_location_maxdate.max_date_created to link_location.date_created.

I'm sure there's a better way to write it if you're just doing SQL, but this is easy enough to understand and quick to create in Access.

Puddleboy
Feb 15, 2008

clone posted:

Some stuff

Give this a try:

code:
SELECT * FROM person a
LEFT JOIN (

SELECT b.person_id,
	(SELECT TOP 1 link_id
		FROM link_location c
		WHERE b.location_id = c.location_id
		ORDER BY date_created DESC) AS Newest_Link_ID
	FROM person b
	) d
ON a.person_id = d.person_id
LEFT JOIN location e
ON d.Newest_Link_ID = e.location
LEFT JOIN other f
ON a.person_id = f.person_id
WHERE f.active = 1

Puddleboy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 4, 2008

chocojosh
Jun 9, 2007

D00D.
At my work we have a C#/ASP.NET application that all use the same database on one development server.

When I go to use the profiler to see the parameters of a stored procedure that is called ("New Trace"), all the developers' stored procs are shown. It becomes annoying sometimes to figure out which

There's an NTUserName column that lists the user who is calling the database command. Is there any way to have it work through the application based on the user's windows login? I.e. If I'm logged in to windows as jk, run the C#/ASP.NET application off localhost and then call a stored procedure through a database connection, is there any way to specify the NTUserName column that will appear in the trace?

Alex007
Jul 8, 2004

chocojosh posted:

At my work we have a C#/ASP.NET application that all use the same database on one development server.

When I go to use the profiler to see the parameters of a stored procedure that is called ("New Trace"), all the developers' stored procs are shown. It becomes annoying sometimes to figure out which

There's an NTUserName column that lists the user who is calling the database command. Is there any way to have it work through the application based on the user's windows login? I.e. If I'm logged in to windows as jk, run the C#/ASP.NET application off localhost and then call a stored procedure through a database connection, is there any way to specify the NTUserName column that will appear in the trace?

On my servers, the NTUSername isn't always filled, but I prefer to filter by SPID anyway. run sp_who2 to list the connections, decide which one you want to trace (you can see usernames and machine names here) and enter that SPID in the trace filter.

chocojosh
Jun 9, 2007

D00D.

Alex007 posted:

On my servers, the NTUSername isn't always filled, but I prefer to filter by SPID anyway. run sp_who2 to list the connections, decide which one you want to trace (you can see usernames and machine names here) and enter that SPID in the trace filter.

sp_who2 returns *10* different results for my user. I think that it's making one different spid for each "New Query" tab I have opened in Sql server studio. Also, it seems that if I log out and log back into my application I have a different spid.

Is there a way to filter the results of sp_who2. Something similar to

SELECT * FROM "exec sp_who2" where
Login = mylogin
and hostname = myhostname

Also, I just realized something -- our web.configs are setup to use a standard username/password to access the database, even though they setup windows authentication for when I go into sql server 2005. Could this be a good reason why my ntusername isn't showing up? Then again, why can't it use the hostname field returned by sp_who2? :(

chocojosh fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 4, 2008

Alex007
Jul 8, 2004

chocojosh posted:

sp_who2 returns *10* different results for my user. I think that it's making one different spid for each "New Query" tab I have opened in Sql server studio. Also, it seems that if I log out and log back into my application I have a different spid.

Is there a way to filter the results of sp_who2. Something similar to

SELECT * FROM "exec sp_who2" where
Login = mylogin
and hostname = myhostname

sp_who2 takes a parameter, the login name, run it like this:

EXEC sp_who2 'MYDOMAIN\MyUserName' (if you're using NT Auth)

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Is this an efficient way to get specific rows from a database?

code:
SELECT *
FROM `articles`
WHERE `id`
IN ( 1, 42, 69, 3 )
LIMIT 4

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

drcru posted:

code:
SELECT *
FROM `articles`
WHERE `id`
IN ( 1, 42, 69, 3 )
LIMIT 4

Yes, but you don't need the limit on there, its redundant. The IN clause will only grab four records assuming that `id` is unique.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Thank you kindly.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

drcru posted:

code:
SELECT *
FROM `articles`
WHERE `id`
IN ( 1, 42, 69, 3 )
LIMIT 4

Be careful with the word 'efficient', that depends a lot more on how your tables are structured. Although the 'LIMIT' is useless in this case, I don't think that it adds any time/CPU cycles to the query.

For example, WHY do you need those specific rows?
If there is something that makes those rows different from the rest, perhaps you'd be better off with an indexed 'flag' field? (like a boolean or a single letter code)

This way you don't have to hard code the Row keys into the SQL statement.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
I'll ask my question in a simpler way without a bunch of code that has no impact.

Let's say I have in an Access 2003 query:
code:
SELECT c.ID, 
       (SELECT p.NAME 
        FROM   POSITIONS AS p
        WHERE c.ID = p.ID) AS V_NAME,
       c.SOMETHING
FROM EMPLOYEES AS c
WHERE
Is there a way to use the V_NAME alias in the WHERE clause without having to do the whole SELECT statement again?

I have to do this to be able to filter by V_NAME instead of just being able to refer to the alias
code:
SELECT c.ID, 
       (SELECT p.NAME 
        FROM   POSITIONS AS p
       c.SOMETHING
FROM EMPLOYEES AS c
WHERE  (SELECT p.NAME 
        FROM   POSITIONS AS p
        WHERE c.ID = p.ID) = 'JOEJOE'

instead of 

WHERE V_NAME = 'JOEJOE'
Is this making any sense at all anyway?

npe
Oct 15, 2004
Just make it an inline view...

code:
SELECT ID, V_NAME FROM
    (SELECT c.ID, 
           (SELECT p.NAME 
            FROM   POSITIONS AS p
           c.SOMETHING
    FROM EMPLOYEES AS c )
WHERE v_name = 'JOEJOE'

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Just a reminder, kids - remember your with (nolock)s. I was trying to figure out why a really dumb, simple select query was tanking performance in one of my web apps, and... yeah, nolocking it took it from taking up to a minute to execute down to under a second. :downs:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

Just a reminder, kids - remember your with (nolock)s. I was trying to figure out why a really dumb, simple select query was tanking performance in one of my web apps, and... yeah, nolocking it took it from taking up to a minute to execute down to under a second. :downs:

As long as you kids are aware of the data quality/sync issues for when you use NOLOCK.

John
May 9, 2003

mmmm... Apple
MySQL 5.0. I'm trying to select 3 rows plus whatever rows are flagged stickied. I have gotten as far as this:

code:
SELECT id, title, datePosted, stickied FROM table 
	WHERE id IN (SELECT id FROM table ORDER BY datePosted DESC ) OR 
	stickied = 1 ORDER BY datePosted DESC 
However, when I add LIMIT 3 to the subquery, MySQL belches back "This version of MySQL doesn't yet support 'LIMIT & IN/ALL/ANY/SOME subquery'". What's the best way to get around this?

npe
Oct 15, 2004

No Safe Word posted:

As long as you kids are aware of the data quality/sync issues for when you use NOLOCK.

This is why I take issue with Oracle's recent addition of asynchronous commits. Sure, it's faster, and sometimes you legitimately want to trade the reliability for the performance, but I have this vision of consultants everywhere showing up to "improve performance", turning on global deferred commits, collecting a fat bonus for speeding up the system in short order, and then blowing out before any problems appear. :(

Bruno_me
Dec 11, 2005

whoa
MySQL 5.0. I'm writing a php app for my roommate to run live trivia shows. It keeps track of teams, locations, questions, and all that sort of nonsense. One of the features he wants is for it to randomly pick 25 questions that haven't been asked in the past period/league (every 6 months generally). I wrote a query that does what I want it to, but I have to imagine there's a more efficient way of doing it using a join or two instead of subqueries. I tried to make one using joins, but I couldn't figure it out.

code:
INSERT INTO `event_questions`
SELECT id
FROM   questions q
WHERE  q.id NOT IN (SELECT question
          FROM   event_questions eq
          WHERE  eq.event NOT IN (SELECT id
                    FROM   events e
                    WHERE  e.period != 1 OR e.period != 2))
ORDER BY RAND()
LIMIT    0,25;
Here are the tables in question
code:
mysql> DESCRIBE `questions`;
+----------+----------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field    | Type                 | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
| id       | smallint(5) unsigned | NO   | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
|...       |                      |      |     |         |                |

mysql> DESCRIBE `event_questions`;
+----------+----------------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field    | Type                 | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| event    | smallint(5) unsigned | NO   | MUL | NULL    |       |
| question | smallint(5) unsigned | NO   | MUL | NULL    |       |

mysql> DESCRIBE `events`;
| Field    | Type                 | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
| id       | smallint(5) unsigned | NO   | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
|...       |                      |      |     |         |                |
| period   | smallint(5) unsigned | NO   | MUL | NULL    |                |
edit: I read the IN subquery optimization guide and now it's using indexes. I wouldn't call it pretty, but I bet it's faster.

Bruno_me fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 7, 2008

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Hello Everyone,

I'm creating an IT inventory application for our company, and i've decided to use mysql for the database side of it. I've created two tables, one for infrastructure with the primary key of asset tag, and Location, also asset tag as the PK. I wrote some table creation statment, and just wanted to see what everyone else thought of these:
code: