Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Thought I'd come here to point out the Zombies Ate My Neighbors LP by Clavius and Joats, because it's really quite funny. The videos are fairly short, the game is corny as hell, and the guys commenting on it clearly are enjoying themselves. There's only a handful of videos so far and the thread doesn't seem to get much attention, but this is a good short-but-sweet LP to watch when you want to kill 15 minutes or so with something entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke of the Bump
Mar 10, 2007

Herzog Null
Everyone should be watching "A Sega Saturn Retrospective All Platformer Event", by Robotnik DDS. If you don't recognize the name, it's the new identity of docfuture, the same goon who did the awesome Sonic 2: Special Edition LP (now featured at letsplayarchive.com.)

He's playing Tryrush Deppy and Super Tempo, two obscure Japan-only 2D platformers for the Saturn, which are interesting enough in their own right, but like with S2:SE, his commentary and editing are really second to none. Some of the things you can expect so far are commentary in the form of an epic Harlem Renaissance-era poem, director's commentary from George Lucas, and an oddly soothing commentary track from a woman speaking in German. Even when it's just plain old DocFuture, though, it's still great. Check it out, y'all.

Edit: Fixed link, thanks/sorry.

Duke of the Bump fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 24, 2008

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

I think your link is broken.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

I'm also going to recommend Jamesman's Chulip thread. He shows off a delightfully bizarre game with excellent commentary. Jamesman has both excellent timing and good taste in that he doesn't attempt to cram too many remarks into each clip and what he does say is a welcome addition. I will admit I've only watched a few of the videos. I wish I could watch more, but that's because this LP actually made me run out and buy the game for once and I don't want it spoiled.

Odexian
Jul 7, 2005
I'm not entirely sure if the Archive is allowed, but I wanted to nominate Daikatana by Proteus and Suspicious as it is the best LP i've ever seen so far. I'd always known had terrible it had turned out and how hyped it was but never played it. However with the absolutely hilarious commentary it keep me amused watching everything that was posted in regards to it.

Secondly I'd like to post AccountingNightmare's Devil May Cry threads. Her ability with the series is nothing short of masterful and the LPs are never short on amusing, informative, and witty commentary.
Devil May Cry 1
Devil May Cry 2

Ryuzaki
Oct 20, 2006
You may call me whatever you wish, but I'm taking your cake.
I'd like to nominate Evil Tim's Castlevania 64 LP, which now has its own thread. Even though I have no interest at all in the game, his commentary is so consistently hilarious that I've probably watched all the videos twice over. He barrels through each video rattling off witty quips and informative commentary in a delightful British accent. He knows the game well, edits out tedious parts, and always writes new stuff instead of leaning on catchphrases and stale jokes. It's just great all around.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ryuzaki posted:

I'd like to nominate Evil Tim's Castlevania 64 LP, which now has its own thread. Even though I have no interest at all in the game, his commentary is so consistently hilarious that I've probably watched all the videos twice over. He barrels through each video rattling off witty quips and informative commentary in a delightful British accent. He knows the game well, edits out tedious parts, and always writes new stuff instead of leaning on catchphrases and stale jokes. It's just great all around.

I was going to jump in this thread to say the exact same thing. He talks fast and keeps the humor witty, while taking detail to cut things that don't add anything to the videos. I guess it helps that I was one of the few that liked Castlevania 64 when I was a kid despite all it's flaws.

I hurt myself laughing during the first Legacy of Darkness video when he asked if he wanted the game to be remotely playable, then rolls right into the quip about the woman in the intro cutscene as being chased by a POV shot.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Everyone should go an check out the Chulip LP
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2808968

It is probably one of my favorite LP on the boards right now.
The game is very weird and very Japanese and involves playing as a little boy who spends all of his time either finding poo poo in garbage cans or kissing old men.
Jamesman does a great job of narrating the thread and explaining the game.

Syvalion
Mar 19, 2005

You're all so precious :3:
Ecco the Dolphin by Mecheon

I've been waiting for someone to do this game for a while (in a way that wasn't meant to be bizarre meta-humor), and thankfully, Mecheon's doing it justice. He's playing the Mega CD version, which has extra levels and new music, so even those who played the Genesis/MD version to death will be seeing and hearing some new stuff. He's also doing a fine job of showing just how difficult and messed-up the game gets at points. And he's got a cute Aussie accent. :3: Solid LP all-around!

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
I want to point out two threads I think are kinda unappreciated.

Guitaroo Man by Brass Monkey is very well done and I don't just say this because I have tentative plans of doing Parappa very similarly and the game is a lot of fun to watch. The commentary is informative and obviously in subtitles, and it just ends up being very unobtrusive, which is good in a game like this. While I'm not a huge fan of the music, the game is fun enough to watch someone who's good play that I don't even really mind it.

The other one is Castlevania 64 by Evil Tim. Normally I can't stand rambling LPs, but there's something about the way that Evil Tim does it that manages to be consistently funny. It might be that he points out every single flaw in a game that has plenty or is just making fun of the stupidity of it, it's definitely worth watching.

Now I have to go flame some people to make up for this douchebag happiness. :v:

yarrrjun
Jun 19, 2007
my dream is to drive a Hummer for a day
can we sticky this thread?

Next Tangent
May 1, 2004
Im dyslexis put taht in your pip and smok it
If you're not watching Armed and Dangerous by Stabbey the Clown, you are seriously missing out.

The game itself is very funny, full of references to other fantasy settings, as well as having good voice acting and well written cutscenes.

Stabbey does a great job showing off the game, he pretty much knows the game inside out, and when he does forget something he will usually edit it into the video as he talks about it.

He also does subtitled commentary so thereis no chance of you not liking his voice, as well as liberal editing so that you get to see the game without any tedious backtracking or following of the same section repeatedly.

He also has a good updating schedule, one video a day, and so it's easy to keep up with there will be no checking endlessly, in case you miss an update.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

yarrrjun posted:

can we sticky this thread?

We've already got 4 stickied threads in LP. (How did we get so many?) I like this thread, but I'm not sure how necessary it is to be always on the front page.

Hey, though, I might be in the minority here.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

slowbeef posted:

We've already got 4 stickied threads in LP. (How did we get so many?) I like this thread, but I'm not sure how necessary it is to be always on the front page.

Hey, though, I might be in the minority here.
I think it would be more useful as a stickied thread. After all, this one is designed to point out others which sink off the first page; if it, too, sinks, then it isn't really doing much good.

If anything, How to Make a LP and the Sandcastle should be merged, putting the former into the latter's OP.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Why, oh why, is matryx's Dominions 3 LP not in this thread yet? Playing a fifteen-way multiplayer email game as the Lovecraft-based R'lyeh, matryx deftly explains the ruleset for a ludicrously complex game very, very simply, and shows how a experienced player sets research/item/territory goals, while matching wits with other goons in-game. Every so often, Lonjon appears every few updates to provide parallel progress reports for a neighboring Sauromatia (archers, with nature magic and a touch of virgin sacrifice for seasoning), so you can see what life is like for a land-based faction as well.

The updates are massively detailed, but never dull. Sales of Dominions 3 have probably increased 60% because of that thread alone, and updates are near-nightly. A highly recommended read.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 7, 2008

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.

Waffnuffly posted:

If anything, How to Make a LP and the Sandcastle should be merged, putting the former into the latter's OP.

I like the idea, but it sounded to me like it might be a hassle, until it occurred to me that I could just do something like this. Those links just go back to the thread currently, and it's just something that I threw together, but what do you think?

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

I think it's looking pretty good.

Also, I'm with those who feel this thread should be stickied. It's an important thread that people should be encouraged to read, but also one that doesn't have new content often enough to keep it visible as-is.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
I'd honestly like it to be stickied, myself. I have gently caress-all time for LPs these days and the patience to read more than one update is rare, if it doesn't grab me immediately. I'm more willing to giving things that crop up here a second chance, even if it is rarely posted in.

macklikethetruck
Jul 22, 2007

Party
Party
Party
:hfive:

The Dark Id posted:

I'd honestly like it to be stickied, myself. I have gently caress-all time for LPs these days and the patience to read more than one update is rare, if it doesn't grab me immediately. I'm more willing to giving things that crop up here a second chance, even if it is rarely posted in.

agree. Also it would be nice to take it off my bookmarks and just see it on the front page.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If this thread is to be stickied, it would probably be better for someone to start a new thread with a better thread title and OP first.

Then again, how useful would this be as a sticky? Every LP has its rabid fans, even the terrible ones, and if this thread had a wider audience, eventually every LP in the forum would get mentioned here and there'd be no distinction between the really good and the not-so-good ones. The new harsh crit thread probably deserves to be stickied more than this thread.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Although I realize most people aren't sticking to it, my understanding was this thread is for plugging LPs that are underappreciated. That means gold-rated threads or those with hundreds of thousands of views are supposed to be excluded.

On the matter of people promoting bad threads, we're intended to be giving concrete reasons why an LP is good in here. So if you can enunciate the reasons we should watch an LP, even if most people think it's a bad one, I don't see any problem with that. Who knows? We might change our minds once we hear your argument.

Egomaniac fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 8, 2008

Lainlike
May 12, 2005
yay
I'm going to recommend AccountingNightmare's Devil May Cry 1 & 2 LPs. Not only does she know the games very well and is extremely thorough through the entire playthrough, she also describes what strategies to use against certain enemies, whether they're by themselves or if they're in groups. She also gives detailed explanations on the game mechanics, the weapons, the items and various moves (both obvious and hidden) in the game; as if you might want to pick up the game and try it yourself one day. In addition, both of them are done on the hardest difficulty which means the strategies she describes would obviously work even if you picked it up and played it for the first time on a lower difficulty.

Unlike the original, Devil May Cry 2 isn't the most well-designed game, and many (including myself) just lost interest in it when we got the game ourselves and traded it in for something else. Watching her play it instead is much easier than having to deal with the shortcomings and frustrations of it yourself, and she still manages to keep it entertaining.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Every LP has its rabid fans, even the terrible ones, and if this thread had a wider audience, eventually every LP in the forum would get mentioned here and there'd be no distinction between the really good and the not-so-good ones.

You're assuming that every person who pops up to write some trite catchphrase in a lovely LP is going to be equally motivated to come in here and write up a review for that person's thread. I don't see it happening.

helloitsdan
Aug 29, 2006

Proteus4994 posted:

You're assuming that every person who pops up to write some trite catchphrase in a lovely LP is going to be equally motivated to come in here and write up a review for that person's thread. I don't see it happening.

I don't know, I kinda think he's got a point; several really really terrible LPs have been mentioned in this thread already (nevermind on this page)

Unfortunately due to the nature of opinions and that people are never going to quite agree all of the time on which LPs are actually worth the time, but if people would try and justify their choices a little more than "ummm well he's pretty good at the game guys" or "i like he voice and face i would kiss him" I reckon we could get somewhere

Funnily though naff justifications for reading a thread and naff threads themselves seem to go hand in hand.

Brass Monkey
Sep 27, 2005

This Compsognathus model at the Oxford University Museum of Natural History shows the animal's narrow skull and long, tapered snout.

Proteus4994 posted:

Guitaroo Man by Brass Monkey is very well done and I don't just say this because I have tentative plans of doing Parappa very similarly and the game is a lot of fun to watch. The commentary is informative and obviously in subtitles, and it just ends up being very unobtrusive, which is good in a game like this. While I'm not a huge fan of the music, the game is fun enough to watch someone who's good play that I don't even really mind it.

Now I have to go flame some people to make up for this douchebag happiness. :v:

Thank you very much! I didn't expect it to become this successful, but obviously a lot of people like music games. As you said you have to think ahead about the commentary but it wasn't hard at all once you get started. I wish you the best of luck with your plans. I'd love to watch it.

I know it's been said before, but The Sims 2 thread by Major McCheese, despite being somewhat unstructured, had me laughing so hard at some of the screenshots that I had trouble breathing. You only get that sort of messed up situations in a game with horribly flawed AI that tries it's best to act human. Even if you think The Sims is a boring game, you'll enjoy every update of his.

I'd also like to give a shout out to AccountingNightmare. While I don't think her current DMC2 thread really hit the spot in terms of making me care about the game, she did an excellent job with the first game and her calm style is just great to watch.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

doctor masaki posted:

Funnily though naff justifications for reading a thread and naff threads themselves seem to go hand in hand.

Well, I figure this thread will end up "policing" itself in that regard, in that if someone recommends a thread with little to no justification, I wouldn't expect very many people to check it out. I know I'm certainly not going to read a thread if someone simply goes "He's the lulz!!!!" In fact, that'd make me actively avoid it.

Edit: Along those lines, I want to encourage everyone to police this thread. If someone makes a recommendation that sucks, tell them. Not necessarily in a "your post sucks" comment, but ask them to clarify or expand on certain points. This includes my posts or anyone else's. The only way we're going to get quality recommendations is if everyone contributes. On the flip side, though, try to do it fairly politely so this thread doesn't become a flame war.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 8, 2008

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.
I'm not sure how easy it would be to maintain the How To thread as a webpage, but doing it the first time would be pretty easy. Anyway, it's just an option.

As for this thread, I'm not sure whether it would be better as a sticky, but I do know that

Ryuzaki posted:

I'd like to nominate Evil Tim's Castlevania 64 LP,

DeathSandwich posted:

I was going to jump in this thread to say the exact same thing.

Proteus4994 posted:

The other one is Castlevania 64 by Evil Tim.

That guy could probably use plat or an avatar cert or something.

b00n
May 8, 2007

Schizoguy posted:

I'm not sure how easy it would be to maintain the How To thread as a webpage, but doing it the first time would be pretty easy. Anyway, it's just an option.

What about using a wiki for the guides? Then again, someone might think it'd be HILARIOUS to vandalise it, so maybe it's not such a good idea...

And I'd say Evil Tim should get plat if he doesn't have it already.

Zeryn
Jan 22, 2008
Amateur Lurker
I realize this thread got a bit buried (page 7 is 'a bit') and I'm going to recommend an LP already on this page, but I'm doing it anyway because I like this thread.

Matryx's Dominions 3 thread is really just that good if you have any interest in turn based strategy games or SSLPs in general. He's playing a 16 player multiplayer campaign of what is an inordinately complicated game and explains not only what he's doing in every turn but why he's doing it. The LP is a week or two behind the actual game and the other players pop in from time to time to post their own versions of what happened.

Not only is the thread entertaining, the update schedule is frequent and pretty consistent, and though the most recent posts are shorter than the original ones to avoid burn-out and repetition, they're still pretty in-depth considering the scope of the game and the pace. Finally, if you're interested, the battles (run automatically by the computer between turns) are frequently posted as videos as a bit of extra content.

This thread is pretty high on my list of daily reads, and it's somehow refreshing to have one SSLP thread I check each update that sticks purely to mechanics and gameplay decisions and not into narrative, something it can do since it's a multiplayer strategy game and not something that you could just write a walkthrough for. I recommend anyone who likes this genre check the thread out.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
When I first saw the title "I have a fever and the only prescription is more Ripper," I began to wonder what I should change that catchphrase in the title to. However, this thread contains:

- Christopher Walken
- "Don't Fear the Reaper"

Both of which combined make the joke actually appropriate. It also contains:

- Hilarious Full Motion Video Acting
- Paul Giamatti

So, I gotta highly recommend the Ripper thread.

Just Meat
Aug 28, 2004

Any recommendations for VLPs akin to the Grim Fandango thread that I can download and watch on my ipod and isn't buried in Archives which I can't access? Horror games a plus.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Just Meat posted:

Any recommendations for VLPs akin to the Grim Fandango thread that I can download and watch on my ipod and isn't buried in Archives which I can't access? Horror games a plus.

As a matter of fact, there's Ripper. It's done in the same straight, movie-style, commentaryless format Grim Fandango was.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

slowbeef posted:

When I first saw the title "I have a fever and the only prescription is more Ripper," I began to wonder what I should change that catchphrase in the title to. However, this thread contains:

- Christopher Walken
- "Don't Fear the Reaper"

Both of which combined make the joke actually appropriate. It also contains:

- Hilarious Full Motion Video Acting
- Paul Giamatti

So, I gotta highly recommend the Ripper thread.

I also want to recommend this thread. It is absolutely wonderfully done, with all of the bullshit cut out and just an all-around good editing job.

Ripper is like the Phantasmagoria thread from way back, but done in the style that Vexation did Grim Fandango. Very highly enjoyable.

Edit: I also agree that the thread title is appropriate once you understand the context, but I held off on clicking on the thread for at least a week because of it.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 2, 2008

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I still think five stickied threads is a lot for LP, but I think it could be helpful, so I've stickied this for 3 days to see how it goes.

Proteus, if you'd prefer me not to do this for whatever reason, I can undo it.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!
baldurk's Destroy All Humans! thread is worth checking out. The game's writing is hilarious, with plenty of references to science fiction and other subcultures. The gameplay gets a little repetitive, but baldurk's informative commentary keeps it interesting. Best of all, there's plenty of wanton destruction. Who doesn't want to see a snarky little alien telekinetically throw a tank into a Havok-physics-managed cluster of government agents?

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
I'm going to nth the recommendation for Ripper. I like the way it's being done, it watches more like a terrible movie than a terrible game.

Another LP I'd recommend is ChuckMaster's Moment of Silence LP. It won me over when the Animal Corps (an enjoyable addition made by ChuckMaster) blew up a ridiculous puzzle. More puzzle explosions, please!

I'd also like to suggest Outlaws, by my buddy Sylpher. Outlaws is a great game with some gorgeous cutscenes, and he has a lot of interesting information to share about it. Definitely worth checking out.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Phiggle's Earthworm Jim 2 thread is pretty rad.

It's an awesome game, and Phiggle does a really good job complimenting the humor in the game. I really like the editing that has gone into it so far. Recommended.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

Roar posted:

It's an awesome game, and Phiggle does a really good job complimenting the humor in the game. I really like the editing that has gone into it so far. Recommended.

I'm not a big fan of cutaways and the like but the editing is otherwise good, and yes he has put a lot of effort into the LP itself. I'm also a sucker for his idea of group participation with the cow scenario that he has up for download. :)

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

slowbeef posted:

I still think five stickied threads is a lot for LP, but I think it could be helpful, so I've stickied this for 3 days to see how it goes.

Proteus, if you'd prefer me not to do this for whatever reason, I can undo it.

I don't mind, but I really need to revamp the OP, since I'd like to turn it into a thread where people can ask for suggestions too, such as "I liked so-and-so's LP because of this, what else would I like?"

Speaking of which, feel free to use it for that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Roar posted:

I'm seconding this one. The commentary's decent, the editing's airtight, the playing is sufficiently skillful, and the game is interesting to watch. It's everything good about an LP in bite-sized, five minute chunks.

• Locked thread