Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Packed Tightly
Mar 3, 2007

Packed Tightly posted:

This is my second finished drum and bass tune, and I'd love to get some real constructive criticism - mostly in the EQ/mix down department. If I could get some suggestions/criticisms about the tune/flow of the tune as a whole as well, that'd really help me out.

Thanks!

Anybody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

RationalAppeal posted:

Does anyone know how to change the location that Reason searches for the default sound banks in? I tried to move them to my external drive because my macbook has a puny little hard drive but when I launch Reason after doing that, it tells me to install the Reason 4 disc, presumably to install the "missing" sound banks.

I don't think you can...I've always just left a copy in the program folder and put another copy, along with my other refills, on my sample drive.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
So I want to cut vocals live in ableton like Telefon Tele Aviv. Check out the youtube if need to know what I am talking about. Basically I want to move warp points at 0.0.1 increments with knobs. I can bind it to my controller, but the points move at crazy intervals. I can't control the ratio applied to the knobs.

Anyone?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Rkelly posted:

So I want to cut vocals live in ableton like Telefon Tele Aviv. Check out the youtube if need to know what I am talking about. Basically I want to move warp points at 0.0.1 increments with knobs. I can bind it to my controller, but the points move at crazy intervals. I can't control the ratio applied to the knobs.

Anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2McDeSKiOU

Moldover has an awesome live setup that allows him to do all kinds of things like that, and this video shows how he incorporates other software to expand live's capabilities. I haven't checked out Tele Aviv yet, but this may be what you're after.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

IanTheM posted:

Moldover has an awesome live setup that allows him to do all kinds of things like that, and this video shows how he incorporates other software to expand live's capabilities. I haven't checked out Tele Aviv yet, but this may be what you're after.

That setup is amazing.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Packed Tightly posted:

Anybody?

the bass is lifeless you gotta get on the pitchwheel to make good dnb, but i also think it needs some filtering and more resonance...also while drum and bass'y i would almost call this a breaks track because the drums are not super prominent like they should be in dnb

i really like how youve edited the drums, best part imo

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

IanTheM posted:

He uses a VST to do what I want to do in Live directly. I might have to email ableton. That Beat Detection program is going to be mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpeVc0rG5v4
Thats Telefon tel aviv video. I just want to bind the loop lengths and location to a couple knobs. I guess they just use the touchpad.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
Just finished a remix I've been working on for a while:

I was addicted to that Crookers remix of Protect and Entertain so I tried to create that tone, anyways its weird and has moroccas. Feedback?

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

squidgee posted:

Well, I certainly think it's awesome. You had better finish this one mister. :colbert:

I did, actually.

http://www.radiumclub.net/flower/310508.mp3

The mix is still completely tits (beats too loud etc.) but not like I can do anything more before I park my rear end in front of better monitors. The song structure's finalized, though.

Dunno why my cello sounds like a sax but it's fine with me.

Sevyplates
Jan 7, 2006

Man, I hate to be this guy... But does anyone have a clue on how to get this slingy bass wave sound?

http://www.circlebar.org/hipster15/Nightdrive%20With%20You%20%28GRUM%27s%20New%20Wave%20Remix%29.mp3
It starts at 0:02

I was thinking I could recreate it in Native's Massive or Reason's Thor but every time I think i'm getting closer it end up being completely off :(

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Sevyplates posted:

Man, I hate to be this guy... But does anyone have a clue on how to get this slingy bass wave sound?

http://www.circlebar.org/hipster15/Nightdrive%20With%20You%20%28GRUM%27s%20New%20Wave%20Remix%29.mp3
It starts at 0:02

I was thinking I could recreate it in Native's Massive or Reason's Thor but every time I think i'm getting closer it end up being completely off :(

Either you have to play with the envelope filters, or there's an option for how the note de-tunes itself over the its course. It's a very common pre-set in many programs I'm pretty sure. Though I'm sure you probably know most of what I've said. :/

I'd also like to take this, how the opportunity to ask how the hell Justice managed to create that epic whooshing noise in Genesis that comes in at 1:12, and is the basis for the entire Chewey Chocolate Cookies remix?

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

I cant tonight, babe. Im going online.

BubbleBobDole posted:

I did, actually.

http://www.radiumclub.net/flower/310508.mp3

The mix is still completely tits (beats too loud etc.) but not like I can do anything more before I park my rear end in front of better monitors. The song structure's finalized, though.

Dunno why my cello sounds like a sax but it's fine with me.

Wait, so you're saying you KNOW the beats are too loud but there's "nothing you can do" until you sit behind "better monitors"? Dude, bullshit. Your equipment has nothing to do with it. Learn your equipment and put more hours into it until it sounds the way you want it. Monitors have nothing to do with it.

I Dig Gardening fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 9, 2008

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

I Dig Gardening posted:

Wait, so you're saying you KNOW the beats are too loud but there's "nothing you can do" until you sit behind "better monitors"? Dude, bullshit. Your equipment has nothing to do with it. Learn your equipment and put more hours into it until it sounds the way you want it. Monitors have nothing to do with it.

Sit down and take a chill pill.

The whole track is recorded live (as in I play it and gently caress with outboard FX while doing so), and since the instrument levels are dependent not only on Live's channel volumes, but the channel volumes of the mixer I use to route the sound from Live, an external loop pedal and a bunch of others set in a feedback loop, I'm not going to set up the whole hassle just for repeated takes of one song, but would rather wait until I have more tracks (which will be done with the same setup), and then go and record them all in one or two days with better monitoring equipment than I have at present. I guess you could take what I said as "let's blame the equipment", but I'm way too old to pull that excuse.

If it was as easy as just adjusting some channel faders and whatnot in a DAW and clicking "render project as wav", I would've done so already.

Sevyplates
Jan 7, 2006

IanTheM posted:

Either you have to play with the envelope filters, or there's an option for how the note de-tunes itself over the its course. It's a very common pre-set in many programs I'm pretty sure. Though I'm sure you probably know most of what I've said. :/

I'd also like to take this, how the opportunity to ask how the hell Justice managed to create that epic whooshing noise in Genesis that comes in at 1:12, and is the basis for the entire Chewey Chocolate Cookies remix?

Yeah the env fiters were my first guess (and I probably will achieve it if I play with it enough) but I couldn't get that sling to it. I guess it's back to the drawing board, thank you though :)

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

I cant tonight, babe. Im going online.

IanTheM posted:

I know what sound you're talking about and I absolutely adore it. I can't offer much insight to any sound creation advice because I suck at programming synths.. but I did read in an interview that Genesis was done with 100% soft synths.. then after the song was finished they loaded up tons of microsamples from their MP3 library and they replaced each note individually until the entire song was redone with nothing but samples. Pretty neat.

GOAT, CARRY ME
Feb 6, 2005

I don't know my way home.
I wonder why so many people in ML seem to shy away from Logic? For my money (and with a student ID, it was only $150) it's the best production-level program shy of ProTools for not only electronic music, but any style really. That said, I flip back and forth between it and Ableton Live LE (again, only $150) and can do just about anything I can imagine.

Is it just because most people here are PC users? Or is Logic kind of daunting for the uninitiated?

It seems to me that the routing and flexibility make things that users of other DAWs have to do backflips through hoops to do (i.e. sidechaining)- easy. After learning how to use it (and I'm still far from a master) I can't imagine producing electronic music in any other environment (although I sometimes write in Ableton).

i'm not trying to start a "my DAW is better than yours" fight, it's legitimate curiosity. And I'm only bringing it up because after learning how to use it and slowly learning how to make electronic music, I came here hoping to find some tips aimed towards Logic to find barely a mention.

GOAT, CARRY ME fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 10, 2008

GOAT, CARRY ME
Feb 6, 2005

and to actually contribute something to this thread (I don't think this has been posted yet?) CM has some great tutorials online here: http://www.computermusic.co.uk/page/computermusic?entry=cm_tutorial_pdfs

The electro-house and trance ones in particular are good diving in points for beginners who at least know their way around their DAWs.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

GOAT, CARRY ME posted:

I wonder why so many people in ML seem to shy away from Logic?
For the folks in Yurp - because Apples are expensive.

Macbook US: $1099 or 700 euros
Macbook NL: 999 euros or $1560

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one of those things running Logic, but I built my own system for less and it's got more oomph, and I'm running Ableton Live mainly anyways.

To contribute with another bit; here's something I've found out that I think was a technique in the 90's. With software synthesizers and sample libraries and all that it's easy to forget one of the biggest studio workhorses in the early-mid-90's studio - the sampler. Even if it only has the memory of a goldfish, it's still usable, since here's what you can do:

- pick a sample with a lot of complex noise. I've used a cymbal from the E-mu Drumulator - nice and lo-fi.
- select a part of the sample to loop. Volume has to be somewhat equal over the entire range (but with insanely compressed drums for older drumkits, that's not hard).
- the part you loop should be small enough to have a semblance of actual pitch - so you're not just looping noise, but it should be big enough so you're not just left with a basic waveform.
- pitch it up so it's usable; the length defines the usable range
- take a decent sampler (Ableton's Simpler or Vember Audio Short Circuit - the latter has a set of amazing filters)
- throw a lowpass over it and some effects
- Ta-daa! The sound is much easier to achieve than all kinds of complex distortion chains on subtractive synths, easier to get than programming an FM synth, and it sounds good.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 10, 2008

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

GOAT, CARRY ME posted:

Is it just because most people here are PC users?
I think it's mostly that. Mac have a market share of what, 4%? It was a pretty dumb decision to make Logic Mac only.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

wayfinder posted:

I think it's mostly that. Mac have a market share of what, 4%? It was a pretty dumb decision to make Logic Mac only.

Not really. As has been said before, Apple are primarily a hardware vendor...it makes more sense for them to sell Logic as OS X only, to motivate people to buy Mac hardware. If Apple were really interested in making mad profit from Logic, they wouldn't have slashed the price for Logic 8 so drastically....i mean, come on, it's ridiculously cheap for what you get (especially compared to Cubase).

I'd say it's a very shrewd business decision.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

moron posted:

Not really. As has been said before, Apple are primarily a hardware vendor...it makes more sense for them to sell Logic as OS X only, to motivate people to buy Mac hardware. If Apple were really interested in making mad profit from Logic, they wouldn't have slashed the price for Logic 8 so drastically....i mean, come on, it's ridiculously cheap for what you get (especially compared to Cubase).

I'd say it's a very shrewd business decision.

Well, from Logic's point of view it was stupid. Sold under value, target market shrunk by over 90%, image loss (corporate pawn product/giveaway with uncertain future, moving toward a toy image a la garageband, iMusic, what have you), fewer people are going to learn on Logic -> fewer paying users. You said it yourself, Apple doesn't care about Logic as a product, only as leverage. That's not a good omen.

From Apple's perspective, mh mh mh... it certainly reinforces their arrogant image, which I guess is a huge draw for current Mac users, but I'm not so sure about new people. With me personally, Apple has lost a lot of goodwill making Logic Mac-only, cause frankly it was a dick move.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

GOAT, CARRY ME posted:

I wonder why so many people in ML seem to shy away from Logic? For my money (and with a student ID, it was only $150) it's the best production-level program shy of ProTools for not only electronic music, but any style really. That said, I flip back and forth between it and Ableton Live LE (again, only $150) and can do just about anything I can imagine.

Is it just because most people here are PC users? Or is Logic kind of daunting for the uninitiated?

It seems to me that the routing and flexibility make things that users of other DAWs have to do backflips through hoops to do (i.e. sidechaining)- easy. After learning how to use it (and I'm still far from a master) I can't imagine producing electronic music in any other environment (although I sometimes write in Ableton).

i'm not trying to start a "my DAW is better than yours" fight, it's legitimate curiosity. And I'm only bringing it up because after learning how to use it and slowly learning how to make electronic music, I came here hoping to find some tips aimed towards Logic to find barely a mention.

Actually oddly enough, I moved away from Logic onto Reaper. The course I'm doing teaches Logic on Logic 6 and offers free macbooks with Logic 8 on them. Logic is nice, and the fact it comes with some decent synths is awesome, but I dont like some of the things it does. Also I really dont like the changes they made in logic 8, I'm more used to 5 and 6 and prefer them to 8. It feels like they're dumbing it down and making it more garage band-esque. I like how Reaper works, its got a nicer work flow for me, and some of the bundled plug ins are awesome. The fact its so cheap and runs on both mac and pc (I use both daily) and can be run from a usb stick just seals the deal.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

wayfinder posted:

Well, from Logic's point of view it was stupid. Sold under value, target market shrunk by over 90%, image loss (corporate pawn product/giveaway with uncertain future, moving toward a toy image a la garageband, iMusic, what have you), fewer people are going to learn on Logic -> fewer paying users. You said it yourself, Apple doesn't care about Logic as a product, only as leverage. That's not a good omen.

From Apple's perspective, mh mh mh... it certainly reinforces their arrogant image, which I guess is a huge draw for current Mac users, but I'm not so sure about new people. With me personally, Apple has lost a lot of goodwill making Logic Mac-only, cause frankly it was a dick move.

I'm just surprised at your reaction--you act like you've never heard of this before. Company buys developer, developer works on their platform. What's so new about this?

I guess you could say the same thing about oh, Windows-only software. I guess that makes Image-Line and Cakewalk pretty "arrogant" then.

wayfinder posted:

It's something like 8%, although a lot higher in professional studios. And no, from a business perspective, it makes perfect sense. You want Logic? You get a Mac. Might as well tell Microsoft to make the Halo franchise for the PS3 because they'd be "losing out" on software sales otherwise.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 10, 2008

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
I moved from Pro Tools to Ableton Live about four months ago and bought Logic Studio about two months ago. Right now I use Logic Pro with Ableton Rewired into it and I really don't think I could ask for a better DAW setup. Honestly, I'm glad that Logic is only for Mac. Not in the elitist sense, but because then they can optimize the system around Apple hardware, which I obviously use. I don't care if a DAW can work on any system or not, I care if it works for my system.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Ben and Stew posted:

Not in the elitist sense, but because then they can optimize the system around Apple hardware, which I obviously use.
:ssh: I hope you know that apart from a PPC G4/G5 and that's even debatable there's no such thing as "Apple hardware", right?

GOAT, CARRY ME
Feb 6, 2005

Yoozer posted:

:ssh: I hope you know that apart from a PPC G4/G5 and that's even debatable there's no such thing as "Apple hardware", right?

the point is that apples use uniform hardware across the board so the number of variables that need to be taken into consideration are significantly lower than with PCs. but you probably knew that..

the market share among professional musicians/producers/filmmakers/artists is much higher than "overall" market share.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

GOAT, CARRY ME posted:

the point is that apples use uniform hardware across the board so the number of variables that need to be taken into consideration are significantly lower than with PCs. but you probably knew that..
Okay, explain me in which way a multi-platform sequencer like Ableton or Cubase has to take the large variety of motherboards in account (edit: yes, there's SSE and stuff like that which AMDs don't support, there's also AltiVec which Core 2 Duo's don't support. Both are checkboxes in the compiler).

quote:

the market share among professional musicians/producers/filmmakers/artists is much higher than "overall" market share.
That I can't deny. As for making Logic Mac-only, this was only a dick move towards everyone running Logic on the PC. One of the reasons the beancounters can't dump it if it makes a loss is because the Mac will lose a good part of its artistic halo.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Kai was taken posted:

I guess you could say the same thing about oh, Windows-only software. I guess that makes Image-Line and Cakewalk pretty "arrogant" then.
Not that FLoops or Cakewalk styled themselves as elite, but if they had had a Mac version at one point, and Macs had a 90+% market share, and they'd abandoned their Mac userbase because they got bought by, uhm.. Dell? Yeah, they'd be arrogant.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Sup everyone; I've just recently got into making some tracks based on samples and here's a track I've been working on for a few days as I'm learning and working with that. Any comments or criticism would be much appreciated!

Samples are from Brothers Johnson, Kool & The Gang and Stewart Copeland so far, if anyone's interested.

Edit: Obviously the ending is a bit sudden cos it's not finished. It was all done in Reason.

Blinn fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 15, 2008

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
that's really dope. I like funky poo poo like that so much more than the glitchy hyper-produced poo poo. seriously I'm feeling this track.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
Yeah that's some really good sampling.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I'd like to hear the finished/longer version of this. Solid.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

GOAT, CARRY ME posted:

Intel cpus are pretty much the only "uniform" hardware in a mac. And even then they use the whole product range including even server cpus.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
I stumbled across this thread just after pretty much finishing my latest track, it's a cool breakbeat/housey type thing. Opinions welcome.

gorilla warfare

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

Blinn posted:

Sup everyone; I've just recently got into making some tracks based on samples and here's a track I've been working on for a few days as I'm learning and working with that. Any comments or criticism would be much appreciated!
Holy poo poo this is amazing. Finish this and then make more. And post it here.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

seiken posted:

I stumbled across this thread just after pretty much finishing my latest track, it's a cool breakbeat/housey type thing. Opinions welcome.

gorilla warfare

Though I'm not much into the style, I can comment on the arrangement. The drums kick in way way too late in the song, so getting into a groove is a bit hard for a while. Make them come in earlier, remember that in house the beat is very, very important. Also, perhaps you can make the track have a little less reverb, because it seems a bit too full and drowns out the initial attack of the transitions and notes. Pretty well rounded track though.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
I guess I can try adding some drums earlier but I think it's fine like that to be honest, call it "progressive electronica" or something if you need "house" to have a beat 24/7. I'm not really worried about conforming to the standards of any one genre. Will have a look at the reverb though.

seiken fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 16, 2008

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page
This may have been answered before, but I've looked through most of the thread and couldn't really find a solid answer.

I currently have Fruity Loops and a small E-Mu midi keyboard and I'm looking to expand to Ableton and possibly some time after that purchase a Mac or a Windows laptop (I currently have a Windows Desktop). What should I do for a soundcard? Is it better to get an external one (my current internal one is junk) or would an onboard Mac soundcard be decent enough?

Also, if I wanted to record guitar as well are there any soundcard/audio interfaces that rock at both? Hell, I'm not even sure what a good soundcard specs are.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The choice in audio interface (the name soundcard is used for the other stuff) depends on your budget, your needs for inputs/outputs, and what your computer offers in terms of connectivity (e.g USB or Firewire). Some audio interfaces have so-called Hi-Z inputs for guitar. As for good specs - it's more of a brand thing (which mfg offers solid drivers and good support), and, if you're into that, the A/D converters.

The advantage of an external interface is that you can use it on your desktop now and on your laptop later if that becomes your primary machine. Otherwise, I'd just get a cheap PCI card without too many frills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pharmacist
May 20, 2008
In Fruity Loops, how do I get it to let me make really precise changes in Fruity Slicer (like the bar starts right on the pixel you click on) rather than just going from the start of each box? I know it used to do this but I opened it up again today and I can't make those precise placements anymore.

• Locked thread