Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demented Footstool
Jan 3, 2007

Do Not Summon The Fire

jackpot posted:

I'm new to Macs and don't even know where my profile is saved, can someone just reply when a new version comes out so I can reinstall and get rid of this damned error message that pops up with every page?

It's stored under ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/[something].default/ , where ~ is your home folder.

That might help it's worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?
I'm getting a weird bug where if I try to go to the next page in the thread, for some reason it always loads about halfway down the page so I have to scroll back up to the top to begin reading. I don't know whether it's SALR, Firefox or the forums that is doing this. I'm on SALR v 1.99.080518 and FF 2.0.0.14, but it also seems to happen with my other machine with FF3 RC1.

Anyone have any ideas?

grrowl
Jan 17, 2007

I LOVE 4CHAN YIFF YIFF YIFF

Mr Crucial posted:

I'm getting a weird bug where if I try to go to the next page in the thread, for some reason it always loads about halfway down the page so I have to scroll back up to the top to begin reading. I don't know whether it's SALR, Firefox or the forums that is doing this. I'm on SALR v 1.99.080518 and FF 2.0.0.14, but it also seems to happen with my other machine with FF3 RC1.

Anyone have any ideas?

Demented Footstool posted:

It seems with the new forum version, the "new post" link now goes to a url like ?noseen=0&threadid=2571027&pagenumber=33#pti30 , which messes up the paginator. Clicking on the arrow to go to the next page, it passes the anchor along, resulting in Firefox jumping to the location rather than the top of the next page.

I'm using SALR version 080518 with Firefox 2.

duz posted:

Yeah, the paginator just copies the url, it needs to be changed to remove the anchor.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Couldn't find anything on this, so..

In Firefox 2, hitting Alt-A when Find is open [un]checks "Highlight all" and overrides SALR's dropdown menu shortcut key. Is there a way to change it so SALR has precedence or that highlight all doesn't have Alt-A as a shortcut key?

Demented Footstool
Jan 3, 2007

Do Not Summon The Fire

maketakunai posted:

Couldn't find anything on this, so..

In Firefox 2, hitting Alt-A when Find is open [un]checks "Highlight all" and overrides SALR's dropdown menu shortcut key. Is there a way to change it so SALR has precedence or that highlight all doesn't have Alt-A as a shortcut key?

Edit: I read it wrong... I'm not sure what you're having an issue with.

As a bonus tip, alt+s submits in the SALR pop-up window. I found that out when hitting different combinations to try to reproduce the above issue.

Demented Footstool fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 10, 2008

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Demented Footstool posted:

Edit: I read it wrong... I'm not sure what you're having an issue with.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough :shobon:

The red shortcut key ('highlight all') overrides the blue ('SA'). I would like it the other way around, or even simply removing the red shortcut key would be fine.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 10, 2008

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.
Try hitting alt, and then hitting 'a'. Rather than holding alt while pressing 'a'.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

All right, I've read through the last couple of pages, and didn't see anything about this. If I missed it, please feel free to flame the poo poo out of me.

Every time I look at a single post since the new forum update, I get the following error message (click for larger):

The page seems to load fine, but SALR doesn't load for that page. So, it's more of a nuisance than anything, but I still wonder why.

EDIT: Also, a question. I really like the "down arrow" feature on the page navigator that jumps to the newest reply - it's useful when you're at the end of a thread and want to check for new answers. Is there any reason that can't be added into the mouse gestures as well?

ClydeUmney fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 11, 2008

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ClydeUmney posted:

All right, I've read through the last couple of pages, and didn't see anything about this. If I missed it, please feel free to flame the poo poo out of me.

Every time I look at a single post since the new forum update, I get the following error message (click for larger):

The page seems to load fine, but SALR doesn't load for that page. So, it's more of a nuisance than anything, but I still wonder why.

The fix will be in the next nightly. See: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=343865802&forumid=22

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

:doh: Thanks. I feel kind of dumb now, but I appreciate the info.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Which is out now! Thanks to astral a bunch of things got fixed, maybe I can get that super ignore feature finished now.

Fixed:
Context menu working properly
Color picker works in FF3
Quick Post post icons
Errors in single post view mode
Quick Post smilies

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

duz posted:

Which is out now!

I just now figured out how you name the new versions since you didn't post a link to it and I went tools -> add-ons -> find updates and saw the two numbers (DATES) side by side.

testing:

heiden posted:

[url =https://wi.somethingawful.com/ab/ab3b96a5b674c118f82b72647abb42778354366a.png]when accessing the fyad index[/url]

[url =https://wi.somethingawful.com/35/35bd5b1c2ceab88e28fcfcd68b519edecce6ecbf.png]when accessing a fyad thread[/url]

duz, the above quote (when links aren't broken) still gives me the error in this post:

pik_d posted:

I'm getting this in this thread. I think it only started after your last post duz, though I'm not 100% certain on that, also I tried a few other random pages and it didn't happen. The FYAD thing happens to me too, did genericadmin just change something that broke stuff?

EDIT: Well after uninstalling and deleting some stuff in my Firefox profile it seems to have gone away. Seems like a crappy work around though.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 11, 2008

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Where is the link to the newest release? Not one works for me right now, thanks.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Nolgthorn posted:

Where is the link to the newest release? Not one works for me right now, thanks.

First post, same as always. http://svn.bountysource.com/salr/trunk/salastread.xpi

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

Nolgthorn posted:

This one worked fine for me earlier today.

https://salr.bountysource.com/

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

pik_d posted:

tools -> add-ons -> find updates

This works too.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

pik_d posted:

EDIT: Well after uninstalling and deleting some stuff in my Firefox profile it seems to have gone away. Seems like a crappy work around though.
Yeah, same here. I didn't like doing it (wish I'd known which file kept my saved passwords - bye bye!) but it worked. This is a small point that mac users probably already know, but don't delete the folder, just delete the files. Deleting the whole folder kept Firefox from opening because it thought it was already open. Somehow.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Edit: gently caress! Just got it again. Most pages are fine, though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

jackpot posted:

Yeah, same here. I didn't like doing it (wish I'd known which file kept my saved passwords - bye bye!) but it worked. This is a small point that mac users probably already know, but don't delete the folder, just delete the files. Deleting the whole folder kept Firefox from opening because it thought it was already open. Somehow.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_settings_to_a_new_profile

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Hey, sorry I haven't been around to work on this recently but I'm diving back in soon.

Someone mentioned just wanting the SA menu but not being able to disable all the other options: go to about :config and set extensions.salastread.disabled to true. The menu will still load, but the script will bail before it does any page parsing, so there shouldn't be any delays or unwanted links. (This is also a quick way to tell if something it our fault or the forums.) I'll have to look at the code again to remember but it may also bail before it tries to update the menu, so you may want to toggle everything back on every once and a while to get the menu to refresh with new forum names or whatever. Hopefully later we will have a more elegant solution.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
"Hide Avatar" doesn't seem to work in Firefox 3.

Firefox 3 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0), latest release version of SALR.

Edit: Wait, it's working now. :wtf:

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.
Just a tiny gripe, more of an aside than a bug. I have "Don't perform color highlight on thread lists" checked, and when I updated SALR, it over-wrote that to being unchecked again.

This is probably the most minor complaint I've heard of, but there you go :)

grrowl
Jan 17, 2007

I LOVE 4CHAN YIFF YIFF YIFF
I don't have PMs and I wasn't sure if you wanted the patch posted in this thread, so I left a message on IRC with a link to a .diff while you were all away.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Just started using SALR as I switched from Opera to Firefox 3 recently. The developers have done a great job and I'd like to thank them for it. :)

However, there are a couple of things I'd like to ask. First of all, is it normal that it takes a noticable amount of time for SALR to run after a page has loaded? I'm having to wait for aaaall the images in the thread to load for it to do all the work on the DOM, this is especially bothersome in image threads. Second is kind of a minor problem, I've added the "Starred Threads" item to the pinned list in the SA menu, and the submenu shows up empty (says No have no threads starred [sic] :confused: ).

Enlighten me?

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
tiny plastic novelty palm trees are all I need
Hijacking this thread over Opera SALR again: it's stopped working for me unexpectedly on Opera 9.27. Nothing really caused it, it just quit doing anything at all - it's like I never installed it. I reinstalled the daemon.rb file and now the daemon won't even load anymore - daemon.log says this:
code:
daemon.rb:5:in `require': no such file to load -- base64 (LoadError)
	from daemon.rb:5:in `<main>'
Reinstalling Ruby 1.9.0 also didn't help. I vaguely remember having to change something in daemon.rb to get it to work when I first installed it, but the original thread is long archived and I don't have archives access. Anyone know what to do?

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

GobyWan posted:

Hijacking this thread over Opera SALR again: it's stopped working for me unexpectedly on Opera 9.27.

Go back to 9.2x, 9.5's new security policies do not permit running Opera SALR the way it ran before.

PS: See the Opera 9.5 Beta thread for further info on why it's breaking.

/\/\/\ ignore me
\/\/\/

crab avatar fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 16, 2008

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

jegHegy posted:

Go back to 9.2x, 9.5's new security policies do not permit running Opera SALR the way it ran before.

PS: See the Opera 9.5 Beta thread for further info on why it's breaking.

Yes, but he is using 9.27 :confused:

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

jegHegy posted:

I've added the "Starred Threads" item to the pinned list in the SA menu, and the submenu shows up empty (says No have no threads starred [sic] :confused: ).

Enlighten me?

Sorry about the typo, but if you are wondering why you have no threads listed, it doesn't use your SA accounts bookmarks, it uses an internal list of threads that have been marked with the "Star This Thread" option in the context menu. I personally don't use it or like it but apparently some people do so it's still around. I prefer SA's internal bookmarks which carryover from computer to computer. Its only real use in my eyes is marking archived threads, since the internal bookmark system won't let you do that.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The Star Thread feature of SALR is slowly working its way out of the code. I'm going to just rewrite it to work differently.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

RedKazan posted:

Sorry about the typo, but if you are wondering why you have no threads listed, it doesn't use your SA accounts bookmarks, it uses an internal list of threads that have been marked with the "Star This Thread" option in the context menu.

Ah, that clears it up, thanks. It'd be nice if it picked up my bookmarks from the forums, but I can live with it. v:)v Any thoughts on the performance issue? Is it a known problem?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is there a way to clear stored SALR settings? No matter what I do the extension gives me a huge JS error whenever I load a page.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

jegHegy posted:

Any thoughts on the performance issue? Is it a known problem?

Yep, the showthread handler needs to be rewritten to be more like the forumdisplay one. It'll all get done eventually.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

duz posted:

Yep, the showthread handler needs to be rewritten to be more like the forumdisplay one. It'll all get done eventually.

Great. :) Keep up the good work, people.

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Bucket Joneses posted:

Is there a way to clear stored SALR settings? No matter what I do the extension gives me a huge JS error whenever I load a page.

Delete all extensions.salastread.* entries in about :config, then delete salastread.sqlite and saforumlist.xml from the root of your Firefox profile.

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Alright I've found the old Opera thread for those that have archives, and for those that don't I will include as much relative data as I can.

Judging by the timestamps, this zip overwritten with this file is the latest installation. (And this is where the rest of the other, potentially older, files are.)

These are the notes from the first post, updated as of Jun 14, 2007 around 06:12:

moho/Operaman/Dr Videogames whatever/Dastardly Repressed posted:

What is it?
It's just like the Firefox SALR, but for Opera. Opera doesn't have extensions like Firefox, but using Opera's UserJS and a small webserver-like daemon, we can get something close. The original Opera SALR was written by ctz, but that version doesn't work any more so you're stuck with my new one.

[pictures and crap omitted]

FOR NEW USERS - Step-by-step install process!

1. You must be using Opera 9. I've been using the latest weekly build, but any build should work as long as it's v9. If you're upgrading from Opera 8, make sure to either install Opera 9 in a new folder, or backup your Opera 8 folder beforehand. These are betas/weeklies, after all.

2. Extract the entire contents of the zip to a folder somewhere (specifically your UserJS folder). If you don't have a UserJS folder set up, just make a folder somewhere and extract the zip to it. Then tell Opera to look in that folder. Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced tab -> Content tab -> JavaScript options... -> User JavaScript files -> Choose... (pick the folder). Obviously do not try to run both new and old versions of SALR at the same time, make a new folder for Opera 9.

3. Next, start the daemon. There are two versions packaged, 'background' is just like the old one and will run invisibly until you manually end its process. Just run that one unless you're having problems and need to see error messages, etc.

4. Open salr2_main.js in a text editor. At the top of the file you'll see a couple of lines like:
code:
this.saName = 'moho';
    this.postsPerPage = '40';
Change those variables to match your username (which is case-sensitive) and posts-per-page count. Save and close the file.

5. Restart Opera. Now everything should work. You may want to create a shortcut to the background daemon in your "Startup" folder in the Start menu, so that the daemon automatically starts with Windows. Otherwise you'll have to manually start it each reboot.

FOR UPGRADING USERS - How do I upgrade SALR?

Always shut down the daemon using Task Manager before upgrading, even if the daemon version isn't changing. Next, extract all the files from the new archive, overwriting the old ones. BUT--DO NOT OVERWRITE __salr_hash.js! If you do that you'll lose all your saved thread data. Don't ignore the /img folder either, it contains important, often-updated files. Remember to open salr2_main.js afterwards and edit your username and options at the top of the file. Finally, once all the new files are in place, restart the daemon.

If you notice weird appearance/behavior after upgrading, you may need to clear Opera's cache so that it reloads the CSS and image files SALR uses. Opera caches certain things very aggressively, and just hitting F5 often isn't enough.

If you edit files other than salr2_main.js during the course of your install, remember that upgrading will overwrite them too, so be careful. Obviously I don't know what images/files you've changed and shouldn't overwrite, so keeping track of that is up to you.

I use Linux or MacOS or something. Help?http://mars.illtel.denver.co.us/~abelits/sa/software/salrd2/salr2r4-unix-1.1.tar.gz

The UserJS part of SALR should work fine on any OS. The daemon is written in D (Windows version compiled in dmd), and will have to be compiled for your OS. teapot has graciously provided ports of the latest daemon for Linux:

source
Linux binary

Users of MacOS or other operating systems may be able to compile using GDC. Be sure to let us know if this works for you.

Alternatively, see the following section.

The daemon keeps crashing, is there an alternative?
There is now an alternative and much more stable version of the daemon, written in ruby. For details on how to convert your thread data and install this version, see my post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...6#post324896626 [see below if you don't have archives]. Also users of other operating systems that can't run the regular daemon should be able to run this one, provided ruby is available.

I just installed this but it doesn't work properly or even at all...!
The forum template is updated often these days, meaning SALR must be patched every so often, and each patch does not get a full release package. I suggest reading the thread backwards from the last post in order to find links the most recent update (which usually consists of updated replacement versions of 1 or 2 files).

That post he links near the end, updated as of Mar 25, 2007 around 11:07:

moho/Operaman/Dr Videogames whatever/Dastardly Repressed posted:

EXPERIMENTAL ALTERNATIVE DAEMON FOR PEOPLE EXPERIENCING CRASHES

Sup guys, okay, first of all if you are not experiencing daemon crashes you don't need to try this new daemon at all. Personally my crashes are getting so bad they're happening about 10 times a day so in my case it's worth it.

What I've done here is a basic port of the daemon to ruby, with some changes that hopefully make it more stable. Therefore to run the experimental new daemon you need to have ruby installed. I see no reason why this shouldn't work on any platform ruby exists for, meaning MacOS dudes may be able to run this now too.

Here's a step-by-step breakdown of what you need to do to run the experimental ruby daemon. Be very careful to read and follow every step:

1. Install ruby. I use Windows to I just went over to http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/ grabbed the 1.9.0 binary and installed it somewhere, it's only about 10mb and doesn't pollute your PC or anything since it's just a zip.
2. Make sure ruby works. Just go to the command line and type like "D:\ruby-1.9.0\bin\ruby.exe -v" (obviously use your own install path) and make sure you get some output.
3. End the process of the current SALR daemon (salrd_background.exe) if you're running it.
4. Go to your SALR directory and back up __salr_hash.js, because it will be changed.
5. IMPORTANT NOTE: The daemon looks for its files in the current working directory, so make sure you cd to your SALR folder in the command line and just specify the full path to ruby.exe when you need to run it. So for example your command line should look like: "C:\Program Files\Opera 9\salr>D:\ruby-1.9.0\bin\ruby.exe blah.rb" if you were to run a file called blah.rb which is located in your SALR folder.
6. Download convert_drb.rb and put it in your SALR folder.
7. Run convert_drb.rb using ruby, for example like: "C:\Program Files\Opera 9\salr>D:\ruby-1.9.0\bin\ruby.exe convert_drb.rb"
8. It should only take about half a second to run and won't print anything, but you should probably notice the filesize of __salr_hash.js change a little as the convert script makes some minor adjustments. You only ever need to do this step once, it's just some preparation for the slightly different ruby daemon.
9. Download daemon.rb and put it in your SALR folder.
10. Run daemon.rb using ruby, for example like: "C:\Program Files\Opera 9\salr>D:\ruby-1.9.0\bin\ruby.exe daemon.rb"
11. Okay, the daemon should now be running and spamming your console whenever it saves thread info etc.

If you feel all advanced and want to run it in the background in Windows (no console window) then you need to do just 2 things. First, open daemon.rb in a text editor and uncomment the first line by removing the # character in front of it. Then, when you run the script use rubyw.exe instead of ruby.exe. The daemon should create a log file in this case.

If anyone actually bothers to do all this, let me know if it works or doesn't or whatever.

Edit: One of the changes in the current daemon is that it'll only ever write its data file once every 3 seconds at most. Now, I *think* this is going to be fine in 99.99% of cases, however if you notice weird behavior where things don't seem to update fast enough or in the right order or something, let me know because there might be some situations I didn't think of.

Edit 2: Also a new salr2_main with some minor updates on mod handling and other stuff is in the works, however one thing at a time for now.

More stuff posted on Apr 18, 2007 21:31:

quote:

Regarding daemon instability, if you're experiencing this to the point that it annoys you, make sure to read the last page or whatever it is where I posted the ruby daemon. Admittedly it's a little harder to use but it's also 100x more stable, seeing as I've never had a crash with it yet (and I was having a lot of crashes with the D version).

Also about the post-favourites idea, its an interesting concept (I'd probably use it myself if it worked well enough) and probably doable with the daemon, but it'd also be a pretty big project most likely and is generally outside of the scope of what I'm doing with SALR right now.

Regarding suppressing image loading in the reply view, this is probably pretty easy actually but I haven't looked into it yet. I added it to the to-do (aka to-try) list anyway.

There is actually a new WIP version up but literally the only change is that I added link rels to the forum view so doing a forward gesture/fastforward will generally take you to the next page now. Back is a bit iffy though cos there's some weird Opera "rewind" behavior unless you explicitly use the rel links via Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right or the Navigation Bar's buttons. If you don't care about this there's no reason to upgrade.

Furthermore I uploaded some miscellaneous SA-related UserJS files I wrote at various times for anyone interested, they're located here: http://junk.ionmine.com/salr2/misc_userjs/

Breifly:
- casaoswap makes the bottom page ad appear below the page links rather than above them.
- letsplaylink adds a link to Let's Play as a Games subforum
- leper turns the Leper's Colony into a rainbow of colour coded probation durations and mod/admin names and such.
- forumpin lets you define a list of forums/subforums to appear above GBS at the top of the main forum index (so you don't have to scroll around to find the forums you usually visit). You kinda need to be able to figure out how to edit a Javascript data structure to use this since that's how it's laid out at the top of the file.
Again, I don't use the Opera SALR so I don't know how much of this information is still relevant or if any of these old files still work, I'm just getting the information out there for those that can't find it.

Dastardly Repressed
May 8, 2004

by WORST ADMIN EVER

GobyWan posted:

Hijacking this thread over Opera SALR again: it's stopped working for me unexpectedly on Opera 9.27. Nothing really caused it, it just quit doing anything at all - it's like I never installed it. I reinstalled the daemon.rb file and now the daemon won't even load anymore - daemon.log says this:
code:
daemon.rb:5:in `require': no such file to load -- base64 (LoadError)
	from daemon.rb:5:in `<main>'
Reinstalling Ruby 1.9.0 also didn't help. I vaguely remember having to change something in daemon.rb to get it to work when I first installed it, but the original thread is long archived and I don't have archives access. Anyone know what to do?

For starters I think various changes in 1.9.0 (final) have made the daemon incompatible, for one thing "base64" is no longer part of the standard library. My recommendation is to just run it with 1.8.6, 1.8.7 may also work but this is untested.

Assuming you get the daemon running and still nothing works in 9.27, first thing to try is load up a thread and type "java script:alert(window.SALR);" (remove the space) in the address bar and see if it shows you a huge rear end bunch of code. If you see code it means at least SALR is loaded, otherwise not. If you see code, next thing to check is is the daemon is running right by loading up http://localhost:55055/page.css or similar. Also checking the Opera error log is probably a good idea, as is seeing if any page changes are made before it stops working (e.g. addition of "1" and ">" links in the sidebar).

RedKazan posted:

And yeah everything RedKazan posted is correct. As is the fact that 9.5 completely breaks Opera SALR in a way that's basically unfixable short of everyone hosting their own external proxy or some horrible bullshit like that. At this point pretty much the only ways forward are for Opera to add a bypass switch for the security feature that breaks SALR, or for functionality to be added to Opera itself that obsoletes the need to use the daemon.

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
tiny plastic novelty palm trees are all I need

Dastardly Repressed posted:

For starters I think various changes in 1.9.0 (final) have made the daemon incompatible, for one thing "base64" is no longer part of the standard library. My recommendation is to just run it with 1.8.6, 1.8.7 may also work but this is untested.

Assuming you get the daemon running and still nothing works in 9.27, first thing to try is load up a thread and type "java script:alert(window.SALR);" (remove the space) in the address bar and see if it shows you a huge rear end bunch of code. If you see code it means at least SALR is loaded, otherwise not. If you see code, next thing to check is is the daemon is running right by loading up http://localhost:55055/page.css or similar. Also checking the Opera error log is probably a good idea, as is seeing if any page changes are made before it stops working (e.g. addition of "1" and ">" links in the sidebar).

And yeah everything RedKazan posted is correct. As is the fact that 9.5 completely breaks Opera SALR in a way that's basically unfixable short of everyone hosting their own external proxy or some horrible bullshit like that. At this point pretty much the only ways forward are for Opera to add a bypass switch for the security feature that breaks SALR, or for functionality to be added to Opera itself that obsoletes the need to use the daemon.

Thanks for the help once again, the error console showed me what was wrong - apparently some thread or another decided that instead of an entry in the hash file, it was going to insert a few hundred null characters, which stopped everything from working until I deleted it.

It really sucks that 9.5 prevents SALR from working properly, I want to eventually upgrade but I really rely on SALR and I don't want to switch to Firefox. Hopefully there's some way around that, but I really don't know where the priorities of the Opera dev team are (removing shell context menus from the transfers window? Really?) so I'm not sure they'll be in a hurry to change things for the sake of one addon.

Edit: Ok, the entry keeps re-creating itself. It's for threadid 2367168, which is old and archived, so I have no idea where it's coming from.

Edit edit: Ok, stopping the daemon before I edit the hash file and then starting it again seems to have killed the problem, finally.

GobyWan fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 17, 2008

Dastardly Repressed
May 8, 2004

by WORST ADMIN EVER

GobyWan posted:

It really sucks that 9.5 prevents SALR from working properly, I want to eventually upgrade but I really rely on SALR and I don't want to switch to Firefox. Hopefully there's some way around that, but I really don't know where the priorities of the Opera dev team are (removing shell context menus from the transfers window? Really?) so I'm not sure they'll be in a hurry to change things for the sake of one addon.

Edit edit: Ok, stopping the daemon before I edit the hash file and then starting it again seems to have killed the problem, finally.

Yeah, the only thing really in my favour here is that the change also breaks some intranet-type applications and development environments where content is served from a mix of internet and LAN IPs. So I'm not strictly the only person complaining about this, hopefully they'll hear one of us.

And yeah you gotta shut down the daemon before editing the hash file manually since it's stored in memory, and if there's bad data in there, the daemon will just rewrite it to disk next time it receives a change. No idea how that crap could have got in there, but at least you found the problem.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I've got a question for those of you who have been using Firefox3 beta/RC's, since I just got it today. With Firefox2 I would wait for the page to load, SA would make it jump to the first unread post, then SALR would resize some images causing it to not be at the first unread post. I would then click the green "enter" arrow to the right of the address bar which would make the page jump to the first unread post without reloading the page. With Firefox3, there's no green arrow, so how do you guys deal with this short of just scrolling to the post you want to be at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

pik_d posted:

I've got a question for those of you who have been using Firefox3 beta/RC's, since I just got it today. With Firefox2 I would wait for the page to load, SA would make it jump to the first unread post, then SALR would resize some images causing it to not be at the first unread post. I would then click the green "enter" arrow to the right of the address bar which would make the page jump to the first unread post without reloading the page. With Firefox3, there's no green arrow, so how do you guys deal with this short of just scrolling to the post you want to be at?

By clicking the address bar, and hitting enter? :confused:

• Locked thread