Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah Belkar's not feeling very good. Looks like he's going crazy from the pain aswell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

pseudosavior posted:

Yay for a fast grab on the mirror!

But I noticed that in the mirrored version, they're the Boots of Spped.

I thought that was why they were lime green? :3:

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Mylan posted:

Greysky city... that's where Haley worked as a thieve's guild member in On the Origin of PCs, right? Guessing Haley's gonna have a showdown with the goth assassin finally.

It's also the city sending supplies into Formerly Azure City, so Evil-Subplot Central basically

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
I'm super pumped to see how returning to Greysky will affect the plotline, and am antsy and spoiled by last weeks rapid fire strips. Save me Burlew!

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
New Strip!

Click here for the full 691x935 image.

Welcome to Greysky City.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

I'm sure it's been an ongoing slow buildup to this, but today's comic marks the first time I ever really noticed that Celia had crossed from "naïve about mortalkind" to "functionally retarded."

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

It is also the first time I really get annoyed about that joke being dragging out over the entire strip instead of being done with after three panels, followed by some more plot movement. :geno:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

A Big Dark Yak posted:

I'm sure it's been an ongoing slow buildup to this, but today's comic marks the first time I ever really noticed that Celia had crossed from "naïve about mortalkind" to "functionally retarded."

She's from the Monster Manual. Over in those parts, they probably have an Adventurers Manual which doesn't tell you much about any given adventuring race, other than their rough stat block, a paragraph or two about where they're found, and a half-page illustration of them in a menacing pose.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Apparently, according to the front page they've had some sort of server issue that necessitated a new move, and also resulted in him being unable to post comics for some time (ending the 13th). I don't know when it started, but at least there's something of an excuse.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dominic White posted:

She's from the Monster Manual. Over in those parts, they probably have an Adventurers Manual which doesn't tell you much about any given adventuring race, other than their rough stat block, a paragraph or two about where they're found, and a half-page illustration of them in a menacing pose.
And a little chart that lets you make a Knowledge (local) roll to figure out that people are afraid of giant monsters and eat a strange substance called "bread."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

In 4th Edition, it's a DC15 check to know that bears live in forests and caves.

That means your average commoner only has a 25% chance of knowing that.

This proves that not only does the average D&D peasant not know if a bear shits in the woods, he probably doesn't even understand the question.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Medieval peasant used to think that frogs were spontaneously created out of mud, so I have no problem with that.

That said, peasants in my game that live near woods know what lives in them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It's not exactly pushing the realms of believability to give peasants some ranks in Knowledge (local dangerous wildlife).

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Dominic White posted:

Which was fine for me when she was dumb/egotistical enough to assume that all creatures must have some kind of spell-like powers ("Not even lightning?"), because that's what she's used to. It's not drooling, blithering idiocy on her part.

In this comic, however, she's beyond stupid. She's Elan.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Which was fine for me when she was dumb/egotistical enough to assume that all creatures must have some kind of spell-like powers ("Not even lightning?"), because that's what she's used to. It's not drooling, blithering idiocy on her part.

In this comic, however, she's beyond stupid. She's Elan.
Hell, Elan would at least be genre savvy enough to know what he was walking into when he saw Greysky from a distance. She's assuming an entire town of always Lawful Good just because she is; not even Elan's that dumb.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
I thought she was studying to be a lawyer, and had previously been far more savvy than she is now.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

To be fair, we've only seen her previous in very limited doses. Also, to be fair, she is a celestial being made purely of lawfulness and goodness from a plane of existence where everyone is exactly the same. If something that was made out of sunshine, order, and lollipops was anything but naive to an absolute fault, I'd be wondering what the hell is up.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I dunno, being from a plane of ultimate law/goodness would imply an acceptance of similar planes of ultimate chaos/evil and a corresponding realisation that the material plane is a balance of all of them.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Shyrka posted:

I dunno, being from a plane of ultimate law/goodness would imply an acceptance of similar planes of ultimate chaos/evil and a corresponding realisation that the material plane is a balance of all of them.

I have met people who believe they are from a plane of ultimate law and goodness. They usually have no acceptance of other ideas, and no concept of "balance". Then again, they also tend to believe that everyone else is Satan incarnate, which is kind of the opposite of this.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Also, to be fair, she is a celestial being made purely of lawfulness and goodness from a plane of existence where everyone is exactly the same. If something that was made out of sunshine, order, and lollipops was anything but naive to an absolute fault, I'd be wondering what the hell is up.
I dunno . . . if all creatures made of pure lawful goodness (and who come from a plane of the same) are supposed to be "naïve to an absolute fault," I wouldn't expect to see them project auras of menace, emanate magic circles against evil, and pack enchanted greatswords in their interplanar luggage.

Lawful good outsiders know all about evil. Celia's just being retarded.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Wasn't Celia one of the defenders of the original Gate, too? It's not like this is her first time on the plane.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Wait, where are you guys getting this "being of lawful goodness" from? I thought she was a sylph, albeit a homebrew, medium sized one.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, there's a difference between being unknowledgable about humanoids and having no reading comprehension whatsoever. The drat character's a loving lawyer.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
New strip

Click here for the full 721x935 image.

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.
So close to what I was thinking was going to happen, but Bone Golem is just as good as a Zombie Roy.

Edit: Undead Zombie seems a little redundant. Also, Belkar hallucinating because of the vomiting is quite hilarious. Perfect background gag for the strip.

Iggy Johnson fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 16, 2008

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Celia = still a loving moron.

Cursed Belkar = still funny.

"I'm a centaur!"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Celia = still a loving moron.
At least she had some glimmerings of intelligence this time. Given her current rate and the approximate update schedule, in two or three months she might be able to outthink an average 8 year old.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

At least she had some glimmerings of intelligence this time. Given her current rate and the approximate update schedule, in two or three months she might be able to outthink an average 8 year old.
So then in about a month she should be past Elan. :v:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I like how "Giro" is just a scrambling of the letters for "Igor."

edit: Ha! I love that they have an umber hulk skeleton in the backround. Aren't those things insects? Would they even have bones?

double edit: "I'm totally using sense motive on you!" loving awesome. We have all assuredly said something like this at least once in a game.

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 16, 2008

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SlimGoodbody posted:

edit: Ha! I love that they have an umber hulk skeleton in the backround. Aren't those things insects? Would they even have bones?

I'm quite certain there was an adventure I saw that had an illustration that included an undead Umber Hulk (exo)skeleton.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
:frogsiren: New Strip

Click here for the full 723x935 image.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
So, what are the rules for resurrection after your living vessel has been converted into a bone golem?

I kind of wish Roy had been watching all this and making commentary, but I guess it would have made the comic too complicated.

Edit: For some reason I'm now imagining a video series in the vein of Will It Blend titled "Will It Resurrect". For this challenge, we've fed a peasant's body through a wood chipper, then mixed the pieces into a giant-sized hamburger and fed it to a tarrasque! We've got one of the tarrasque droppings here, and it's time for . . . WILL IT RESURRECT?

Yes, amazingly, the Resurrtec Total Resurrector has resurrected our peasant none the worse for wear! Don't try this at home, kids! Next week: acid submersion!

ZorbaTHut fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 18, 2008

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Raise Dead's long out of the question on the basis of time, so the main option here is Resurrection. The requirements for that are simply this:

quote:

So long as some small portion of the creature’s body still exists, it can be resurrected, but the portion receiving the spell must have been part of the creature’s body at the time of death.

Seeing as the base component of the golem is still Roy's skeleton, and it's still intact (albeit with an earth elemental duct-taped to it), it's still viable for resurrection.

Really, logically speaking, having your body made into a bone golem makes it a lot easier to move around and bring to a priest capable of resurrection-- plus, it can defend itself from being stolen or destroyed. It's a win-win situation!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Really, logically speaking, having your body made into a bone golem makes it a lot easier to move around and bring to a priest capable of resurrection-- plus, it can defend itself from being stolen or destroyed. It's a win-win situation!

Are bone golems considered 'evil'? Are they going to have a hard time finding a good-aligned priest who'll believe they're good guys if they'll being followed around by a bone golem?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In AD&D at least, Bone Golems were Neutral.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Golems in 3.5E are mindless constucts driven by "a spirit from the Elemental Plane of Earth" and are all neutrally-aligned.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just out of curiosity, if Roy were resurrected, what would happen to the Elemental Spirit bound to the skeleton?

Also, I can't explain why I find panel 2 so hilarious. I think it's the way she doesn't even look up.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 18, 2008

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
More importantly... NEW BOOK

Order Here

288 pages! That's a lot of book.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I seem to be recall there being a spell like True Resurrection or something that didn't even need a physical component. I remember 2ed having a 'Reincarnation' spell that would basically bring you back from anything, with a decent chance that you would remanifest as a badger or a fox or a nubile young woman or whatever. I have no idea if that stuck around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Resurrection, True Resurrection and Reincarnate.