Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, the odds of Roy needing a True Ressurection just went up considerably, I'd say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, the odds of Roy needing a True Resurrection just went up considerably, I'd say.

If Resurrection can't get Roy back up, none of them can. They all have this qualifier: Constructs, elementals, outsiders, and undead creatures can’t be resurrected (except for True Res, which lets you res everything but Constructs or Undead). So if Burlew decides that means you can't resurrect something turned into a construct, he's SoL, if it means you can't resurrect the construct but can still res the person, he's in the same place as before.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dr. Ron Paul posted:

If Resurrection can't get Roy back up, none of them can. They all have this qualifier: Constructs, elementals, outsiders, and undead creatures can’t be resurrected (except for True Res, which lets you res everything but Constructs or Undead). So if Burlew decides that means you can't resurrect something turned into a construct, he's SoL, if it means you can't resurrect the construct but can still res the person, he's in the same place as before.

True res can resurrect undead, you just have to kill the undead first.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Well, surely, they saved some of his hair or something. Oh wait, he shaved his head. What if they just break off a piece of him from the construct?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dr. Ron Paul posted:

No way does that fly, though. Roy's not a construct. The fact that his bones have been used as material for a construct is immaterial.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
While Raise Dead doesn't work on things that have been turned into the undead (and by extension, other forms of dinking with a corpse), Resurrection does (as long as it's presently non-functioning). So if they can beat down the golem enough to get a piece or two, they should be able to Resurrect him (which admittedly was their goal anyways since he's way beyond Raise Dead).

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Keep in mind that the caveat that you can't ressurect undead most likely stems from the fact that the souls is still bound to the corpse, rather than resting on the outer planes. As long as we're talking intelligent undead, anyway. As a DM that's how I'd interpret it, personally. Roy could be Ressurected in this case due to his soul still being free, pending they could tear an arm off of the golem for the focus. True Ressurection would bypass this entirely.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
On the other hand, Roy is a skeleton. If they can get his spirit back into it, he can masquerade as Xykon.

Also, Herman Munster should lay off the cart fairies.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vicissitude posted:

On the other hand, Roy is a skeleton. If they can get his spirit back into it, he can masquerade as Xykon.

That is a great idea.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

But he's got GREEN eyes!

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Redcloak is the only one who might, just might, mind you, notice. Regular Hobgobbos won't and the Creature in the Dark is too dim to notice.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Vicissitude posted:

Redcloak is the only one who might, just might, mind you, notice. Regular Hobgobbos won't and the Creature in the Dark is too dim to notice.

More important is who in the Order of the Stick would notice? Not sure if a Disintegrate spell from V would leave enough of a body to be resurrected without True Resurrection.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Manyorcas posted:

More important is who in the Order of the Stick would notice? Not sure if a Disintegrate spell from V would leave enough of a body to be resurrected without True Resurrection.

Resurrection specifically says dust from a disintegrate spell is enough.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

terminal mehmet posted:

Resurrection specifically says dust from a disintegrate spell is enough.

Bah, and it was linked right on this page too. I thought there was some sort of specific thing from disintegrate but you just can't use raise dead then.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

No way does that fly, though. Roy's not a construct. The fact that his bones have been used as material for a construct is immaterial.

Well, in that case, he doesn't even need tru res. Resurrection is more than enough.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
New strip:

Click here for the full 710x935 image.

Enderwastaken
Oct 11, 2007

by angerbot
So they are leaving without Roy's body, Belkar, or Mr Scruffy? Because the implication is that she stole something, and that is in the sack, not the rest of their party.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Enderwastaken posted:

So they are leaving without Roy's body, Belkar, or Mr Scruffy? Because the implication is that she stole something, and that is in the sack, not the rest of their party.

They're probably just in the other room on the way to the door.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

"I stuffed my hump to get this job!"

It's the little things that make 'Stick' worth reading.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Enderwastaken posted:

I think she's just implying that she stole a bunch of poo poo on her way to the castle. I'm sure they'll grab the rest of the party, such as it is, on their way out.

Enderwastaken
Oct 11, 2007

by angerbot
Question: Is there any rogue skill Haley would have that she could apply to "hack" the pin code and make the golem obey, or is that something that only the magician creating the golem can do?

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Enderwastaken posted:

Question: Is there any rogue skill Haley would have that she could apply to "hack" the pin code and make the golem obey, or is that something that only the magician creating the golem can do?

Use Magic Item or Disable Device maybe?

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
According to the rules, Use Magic Device can do no better than emulating alignment and has no epic usage, but if it was up to me, an epic UMD check would allow a rogue to pretend to be a specific person, in this case the golem's creator.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useMagicDevice.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#useMagicDevice

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Spazmo posted:

According to the rules, Use Magic Device can do no better than emulating alignment and has no epic usage, but if it was up to me, an epic UMD check would allow a rogue to pretend to be a specific person, in this case the golem's creator.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useMagicDevice.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#useMagicDevice

Activate Blindly

Some magic items are activated by special words, thoughts, or actions. You can activate such an item as if you were using the activation word, thought, or action, even when you’re not and even if you don’t know it. You do have to perform some equivalent activity in order to make the check. That is, you must speak, wave the item around, or otherwise attempt to get it to activate. You get a special +2 bonus on your Use Magic Device check if you’ve activated the item in question at least once before. If you fail by 9 or less, you can’t activate the device. If you fail by 10 or more, you suffer a mishap. A mishap means that magical energy gets released but it doesn’t do what you wanted it to do. The default mishaps are that the item affects the wrong target or that uncontrolled magical energy is released, dealing 2d6 points of damage to you. This mishap is in addition to the chance for a mishap that you normally run when you cast a spell from a scroll that you could not otherwise cast yourself.

Sounds pretty much like hacking the activation code.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
I think he was waiting for payment to set the PIN so it's probably 0000 or 1234 by default

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
New comic is up.

And a mirrored version.

Click here for the full 722x1815 image.

Belkar is still the best thing about this arc.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Hey, double strip!

Looks like we're not going to see Roy back for a while, unless maybe that was a bone that Belkar shook out of the boot.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

DoctorTristan posted:

Looks like we're not going to see Roy back for a while, unless maybe that was a bone that Belkar shook out of the boot.

I think the rattle was exactly that. Still, for people who haven't been obsessively reading the rules about golems like we have it could be a nasty surprise.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I love the baseball golem near the end. I wonder if it was intended to look like Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz, or if he just though it woould be funny to have a baseball golem.

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"

NutShellBill posted:

I love the baseball golem near the end. I wonder if it was intended to look like Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz, or if he just though it woould be funny to have a baseball golem.

Dude, that's Mr. Met. It's the Mets' mascot.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
While I'm glad we're progressing the storyline again after Elan's Wacky Adventures, I have to say that Belkar's quickly getting a little too "cheese monkey random" for me.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
As much as I generally don't mind the art, the whole "sliding" sequence is absolutely :psyduck: for me. On the first panel of the sliding sequence she slips, okay, cool. Second panel there's speed lines, so I guess she's still got some momentum, but somehow she's still on the edge of the "slick". That's confusing. Not only that, but the end of the slick is about ten feet in front of her. Third panel there's still speed lines and she's still on the very edge of the slick. Fourth panel she hasn't moved at all but the slick is twice as long as it used to be. And there's monsters behind her! Oh no! Either she's moving away quickly or she's not, it's very hard to tell! Sixth panel she's still on the edge of the drat slick and there's still speed lines, and yet apparently by the seventh panel she's moved, the monsters are shambling along behind her at exactly the same rate as her speed-line'd bag o' jewels that's capable of traveling about five feet in the course of a medium-long conversation.

And then THOOM she gets launched out of the door at high velocity, on a trajectory that's obviously overshooting the cart by quite a lot (unless there's an invisible ramp in the doorway), with Belkar much higher than Haley, and then lands inside the cart with Belkar behind Haley.

Finally, the cart turns around and Belkar/Haley don't turn with it. I guess in theory they switched places, but after that giant pile of awful, it stands out as yet another flaw.

The whole shebang gets even more confusing if you pay attention to the arches in the background. Not exactly the best art I've seen. :(

ZorbaTHut fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 26, 2008

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

pseudosavior posted:

While I'm glad we're progressing the storyline again after Elan's Wacky Adventures, I have to say that Belkar's quickly getting a little too "cheese monkey random" for me.

He's delirious, but I admit it's rapidly getting old.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

ZorbaTHut posted:

As much as I generally don't mind the art, the whole "sliding" sequence is absolutely :psyduck: for me. On the first panel of the sliding sequence she slips, okay, cool. Second panel there's speed lines, so I guess she's still got some momentum, but somehow she's still on the edge of the "slick". That's confusing. Not only that, but the end of the slick is about ten feet in front of her. Third panel there's still speed lines and she's still on the very edge of the slick. Fourth panel she hasn't moved at all but the slick is twice as long as it used to be. And there's monsters behind her! Oh no! Either she's moving away quickly or she's not, it's very hard to tell! Sixth panel she's still on the edge of the drat slick and there's still speed lines, and yet apparently by the seventh panel she's moved, the monsters are shambling along behind her at exactly the same rate as her speed-line'd bag o' jewels that's capable of traveling about five feet in the course of a medium-long conversation.

And then THOOM she gets launched out of the door at high velocity, on a trajectory that's obviously overshooting the cart by quite a lot (unless there's an invisible ramp in the doorway), with Belkar much higher than Haley, and then lands inside the cart with Belkar behind Haley.

Finally, the cart turns around and Belkar/Haley don't turn with it. I guess in theory they switched places, but after that giant pile of awful, it stands out as yet another flaw.

The whole shebang gets even more confusing if you pay attention to the arches in the background. Not exactly the best art I've seen. :(

Time to play the bad art apologist. Okay, how about this? The friction of the bag plus adventurers is causing the slick to stick and evaporate behind them, like a giant paper towel. Hence the wet spot on the bottom of the bag. As for the size of the puddle, there was actually two, with the second one just off panel and as the flow was pushed in front of the sliding bag, it covered the gap between the two all the way to the door. This is evident by the splash seen thrown up in front of the bag. The monsters are able to keep up because they are shuffling very quickly. Celia even commented on them moving faster and Belkar pointed out that they were getting closer. As for the trajectory, Haley and gold are clearly aimed for the cart. Belkar, who was on the same bag, in his delusion leaped up and back towards the castle from the bag. Thus his position in the panel and his ability to land back in the cart. Haley's change of position afterwards is obviously her just climbing forward off panel to take the reins. This is clear since the bag of gold is in the correct spot after the cart has been turned around.

As for how a bag of gold small enough for Haley to carry over her shoulder grew large enough for her and Belkar both to ride upon... I got nothin'.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Geshtal posted:

As for how a bag of gold small enough for Haley to carry over her shoulder grew large enough for her and Belkar both to ride upon... I got nothin'.

Inflation! :haw:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

I hope Roy does get rezzed from a bone sliver and has to fight his own remains. That'd be great.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vicissitude posted:

I hope Roy does get rezzed from a bone sliver and has to fight his own remains. That'd be great.

He'd go into the battle thinking his undead slaying sword would do all the work. Boy will he be surprised!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

pseudosavior posted:

Yeah, Belkar is now essentially Elan. They're so wacky and crazy, who knows what those two will do next!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

To be fair, one is suffering from divine wrath brought forth by incredibly powerful magic as interpreted by a very odd old man-- the other is just Elan. One of these two might have enough justification to be nothing but nonsequitors and random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Cabbit posted:

To be fair, one is suffering from divine wrath brought forth by incredibly powerful magic as interpreted by a very odd old man-- the other is just Elan. One of these two might have enough justification to be nothing but nonsequitors and random.

Nonsense! The cartoonist should inject pathos and drama into every syllable of the comic, every character must be as deep as the oceans at any given moment. Humor be damned, we read this stick figure cartoon for drama!

Can we seriously stop whining about Burlew writing Belkar and Elan as goofballs? That's why they are THERE!