Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
It was ridiculous, but this time you really can say A Wizard Witch Did It. The ordinary rules of TV amnesia go out the window, and you can just go with whatever makes for a good show, and they surely did.

Alex :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

SecretFire posted:

What ep was that? I recall thinking that it was some crazy poo poo at the time. "I was a weapon for the US government" just comes out of nowhere.

I only remember it because it was the episode directly after Cordy dying and she wasn't mentioned at all.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Drei posted:

I think it's in Angel S3 (the first episode maybe) where Angel stands awkwardly outside Fred's room in the Hyperion waiting for an invite. Maybe it doesn't count as a hotel, though.

I think at that point, they had technically become apartments. Who knows.

Kash
Jul 17, 2003

It's ironic. I finally have love in my heart but, alas, there is blood in my urine.
I always assumed Jenny's uncle was in a hotel room as well, not that I put all that much thought into it.

Having watched again recently though I couldn't remember that Angel had even been invited into Giles' place, and if not how did he set up the whole Jenny thing as Angelus? I could have just forgot when he had been though.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Kash posted:

Having watched again recently though I couldn't remember that Angel had even been invited into Giles' place, and if not how did he set up the whole Jenny thing as Angelus? I could have just forgot when he had been though.

I think it's a plot hole because I just saw Amends from season 3 and Angel needs Giles' invitation to come in. That is unless Giles did the vampire repellent ritual thing in-between, off-screen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've only really watched Angel because Buffy just didn't interest me but did it ever get explained as to how exactly a vampire can have sex if their bodies don't do other things like breathe? Or is that a "just don't think about it" plot point.

I also don't understand why exactly the instant someone becomes a vampire they become evil. I know that they lose their soul when it happens but it doesn't just make them lose their morals they become actively evil.

Oxygen Frog
May 11, 2005

A specter is haunting Europa

muscles like this? posted:

I've only really watched Angel because Buffy just didn't interest me but did it ever get explained as to how exactly a vampire can have sex if their bodies don't do other things like breathe? Or is that a "just don't think about it" plot point.

I also don't understand why exactly the instant someone becomes a vampire they become evil. I know that they lose their soul when it happens but it doesn't just make them lose their morals they become actively evil.

They don't just lose their soul, their soul gets replaced by a demon. They usually have similar personalities and they keep the memories, but it's a completely different "person" inside.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Vampire = human stripped of soul, and dead, replaced with demon.

Demon = evil!

Thus, vampire = evil.

That said, the personality of the person remains and influences the vampire, making him/her more or less cruel, more or less sadistic, etc, though all with a baseline of evil.

But I suppose the demon = evil formula is not completely true. See, Lorne.

Speaking of Lorne, anyone else suspicious of him? He plays key roles in all the big storylines in Angel, and they all tend to lead towards the ends of Jasmine. He is a demon, after all...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hahaha, yeah actually for a long time when watching the episodes where he is first introduced I kept expecting him to be working as a head bad guy behind the scenes.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

redshirt posted:

Vampire = human stripped of soul, and dead, replaced with demon.

Demon = evil!

Thus, vampire = evil.

That said, the personality of the person remains and influences the vampire, making him/her more or less cruel, more or less sadistic, etc, though all with a baseline of evil.

But I suppose the demon = evil formula is not completely true. See, Lorne.

Speaking of Lorne, anyone else suspicious of him? He plays key roles in all the big storylines in Angel, and they all tend to lead towards the ends of Jasmine. He is a demon, after all...
Yeah, but you know, I've always doubted that - especially with Spike. He loved Buffy before he got his soul back - genuinely loved her, although his way of expressing it could be twisted. I mean, the sacrifices he went through (like with Glory) because he loved her - I don't think you can love a person without a soul.

Which, frankly, is why I've always preferred Spike to Angel.

By the way - does Dr Horrible remind anyone else of the song "Skullcrusher Mountain"?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The way I've interpreted it is that when a human becomes a vampire, they turn into a demon. The human being doesn't get shunted out by one. When Liam is turned, a new being, Angelus, who is Liam the evil demon is created. Does that make sense? It's like in Conversations with Dead People, when Buffy is psycho-analyzed by the vampire guy. He's the old him, but he's instinctively evil. And instincts don't rule a person, they just influence them.

Re: The comic con season eight news that Jane Espenson will be writing an arc after the Fray crossover that will feature the world at large becoming aware of vampires and slayers, I think this is a terrible idea. It's basically going to turn the Buffyverse into another superhero universe. With both Buffy and Angel, I wish they would stop expanding the scale of the stories and just reel it back a little. Also, did Angel and company just die or something in the season 8 Buffyverse? Post-Apocalyptic L.A. is really stretching the believability here.

Ain Paradisum
Nov 20, 2005

by Ozma

DrBouvenstein posted:

Really? I don't recall ever seeing anything that implied/said it was a hotel room. I'm not saying it wasn't, I just don't recall.

Of course, if we try hard enough, we might even be able to think of a circumstance where a vampire couldn't enter a hotel room anyway.

I'm looking at it now (Innocence, 32 minutes in), and it's unequivocally a hotel room. Plus Jenny asks her uncle why he came to Sunnydale, so naturally he'd be in a hotel room.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I believe the official rule is: anywhere somebody lives as their "home" brings the need for an invitation.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

Woodtopian posted:

The way I've interpreted it is that when a human becomes a vampire, they turn into a demon. The human being doesn't get shunted out by one. When Liam is turned, a new being, Angelus, who is Liam the evil demon is created. Does that make sense? It's like in Conversations with Dead People, when Buffy is psycho-analyzed by the vampire guy. He's the old him, but he's instinctively evil. And instincts don't rule a person, they just influence them.

Re: The comic con season eight news that Jane Espenson will be writing an arc after the Fray crossover that will feature the world at large becoming aware of vampires and slayers, I think this is a terrible idea. It's basically going to turn the Buffyverse into another superhero universe. With both Buffy and Angel, I wish they would stop expanding the scale of the stories and just reel it back a little. Also, did Angel and company just die or something in the season 8 Buffyverse? Post-Apocalyptic L.A. is really stretching the believability here.

Season eight of Buffy runs alongside season five of Angel. Angel was basically disowned by Buffy and the others in the episode where Angel and Andrew track down the insane slayer, but post-apocalyptic L.A. hasn't happened yet. Even so, the last issue of After The Fall showed that psychic fish thing calling out to people outside of L.A., but to all appearances, L.A. is fine.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

IndieRockLance posted:

Season eight of Buffy runs alongside season five of Angel.

I thought season 8 took place a year after that? It took a year for Buffy, Xander, et al to find the slayers, get funding, secure a castle, etc...Basically, there was a season 7.5 that we only saw a few glimpses of, generally in the form of Andrew.

fenderrob
Jan 6, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

I thought season 8 took place a year after that? It took a year for Buffy, Xander, et al to find the slayers, get funding, secure a castle, etc...Basically, there was a season 7.5 that we only saw a few glimpses of, generally in the form of Andrew.

This is more correct, Season 8 takes place in a nebulous time period that is not quite present-day but is a couple years after the end of the show.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Oxygen Frog posted:

They don't just lose their soul, their soul gets replaced by a demon. They usually have similar personalities and they keep the memories, but it's a completely different "person" inside.

But that's problematic when considering Angel's quest for redemption. If when you lose your soul, your body becomes a demon's vessel, then why would re-ensouled Angel feel the need to redeem for the things the demon did? Unless Angel is the demon, but with a soul, but that goes against the whole lose your soul, get a demon thing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Drei posted:

But that's problematic when considering Angel's quest for redemption. If when you lose your soul, your body becomes a demon's vessel, then why would re-ensouled Angel feel the need to redeem for the things the demon did? Unless Angel is the demon, but with a soul, but that goes against the whole lose your soul, get a demon thing.

Part of the gypsy's curse, and not as a "natural" result of getting rensouled.

Which prompts me to ask: Hello, Willow? How's about removing the curse from Angel, and letting him sleep around without fear of becoming Angelus? Buffy might have appreciated it, maybe.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

redshirt posted:

Part of the gypsy's curse, and not as a "natural" result of getting rensouled.

Which prompts me to ask: Hello, Willow? How's about removing the curse from Angel, and letting him sleep around without fear of becoming Angelus? Buffy might have appreciated it, maybe.
This never bothered me until now. Wow. I really wish they'd at least give us some kind of magic bollocks answer as to why this isn't possible.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
About Angelus getting into Giles' place to kill Jenny, Buffy was in the middle of 'no you're not invited anymore' spell when Angelus came to her place and there was some dialog about how they were going to Giles' place next.

I really think I remember the first invite and I know I remember the second on as Giles looked pissed that Angel was there.

As far as removing the curse, I always had the impression that the soul and the 'ultimate happiness' thing were completely tied together, Willow wasn't going to be able to do one without the other without creating a whole new spell.

She wasn't strong enough by the time Angel left, hell she most likely wasn't strong enough until after she became awesome Evil Willow and after that she and Angel were a bit distracted with Jasmine. After that Buffy wasn't speaking to him and Willow was off astral projecting in Brazil. I'm betting if he had gone to her she and Wes could have come up with something but at the same time so many thing could have gone wrong they may have just decided to leave it alone.

lewi
Sep 3, 2006
King
I've just burned through Firefly, and will get a copy of Serenity as soon as possible...

I guess there's no chance of any more Firefly coming on the air at all :( That really makes me upset, it's got so much potential.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Plato posted:

What da gently caress? He's working with Fox Again? I thought he swore them off after they raped everyone with firefly.
I was wondering about the same. Irony if it gets cancelled mid-season, again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason he went with Fox is the aforementioned fact that the people who were around when Firefly was cancelled are all gone AND they were the ones who came to him wanting a new show.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Combat Pretzel posted:

Well, I heard part of the reason he did FOX again was because they were so incredibly apologetic over the last buttfuck they bought nine episodes of Dollhouse sight completely loving unseen, which is an enormous expense to invest in something whose pilot they haven't tested yet.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

LividLiquid posted:

This never bothered me until now. Wow. I really wish they'd at least give us some kind of magic bollocks answer as to why this isn't possible.

Well, Willow was copying the exact same Gypsy (though I guess in today's PC age we should say Romani, yes?) curse, so it would have the same conditions.

Which reminds me of another point that no one seemed to catch on to our notice until Wesley in Season 5. Everyone was running around since Buffy season 2 saying "Angel can't bump any uglies or he'll lose his soul!" Umm....WRONG! It's perfect happiness that brings out Angelus, NOT sex. Didn't you notice that the first time Angel lost his should it wasn't mid-coitus, or even at climax, it was minutes or hours later, when Angel was sleeping next to Buffy.

Granted, I understand that they might not have caught on right then. But then in Angel season 2 he has sex with Darla hoping to bring out Angelus and failed. That should have proved right then and there to everyone that merely having sex doesn't being out Angelus.

It's not until Season 7 when he and Eve go at it for a while because of Lorne's voodoo that they seem to catch on, and Wesley tells him there are millions of relationships out there where people are happy, but don't have perfect happiness.

And you're trying to tell me that in the 100+ years since the Gypsies (sorry, Romani) cursed him , he never once had sex? I know that for most of it he was brooding, but he DID shack back up with Darla a few years right after, and you KNOW they had sex. And at no point in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, or 60s he had sex? He didn't start living in sewers eating rats until the doughnut shop incident in the 70s.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
I'm gearing up to go through Angel a second time, and now that I already know the story beginning to end I'll be able to take my time and avoid essentially stopping my life to speed through it, but it's quite depressing knowing how everyone ends up, particularly Wesley and Lorne. The same goes for Buffy, but even moreso, seeing how the last two seasons are such downers all things considered.

I've been considering picking up the new hardback for After the Fall but the art just kills me. It's like deviantart level trash, complete with bad photoshop and an almost total lack of likeness for the actors. So tell me, does the writing make it worth it?

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

Red Pyramid posted:

I've been considering picking up the new hardback for After the Fall but the art just kills me. It's like deviantart level trash, complete with bad photoshop and an almost total lack of likeness for the actors. So tell me, does the writing make it worth it?

No. That book sucks through and through. The art changed after an issue or two, but it's still not great.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

IndieRockLance posted:

No. That book sucks through and through. The art changed after an issue or two, but it's still not great.

But someone just told me to get it and that it was pretty ok. :( I have to know what happens to angel and the gang.

quote:

Speaking of Lorne, anyone else suspicious of him?

Not lorney tunes :mad: I think he did his best to be a good being. His character depresses me the most though. Everyone treats him like poo poo, he raised conner practically by himself, then conner hated him. No one ever listens to him unless they want their futures read, and he's pretty much just crapped on for the entire show, yet he's always there, trying to make people feel better.

The end of Angel("goodnight folks"....jesus christ), and the scene with him at the bar telling the barkeep that he just 'tells people what they want to hear' is some of the most depressing poo poo ever.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I've bought every issue so far of both of the new Buffy and Angel seasons.

I have yet to be disappointed with Buffy. It truly keeps on delivering (except for a few dumb character changes, but nothing that can't be fixed).

Angel, on the other hand, has only really provided me with a single moment that I've thought was cool. The writing simply isn't that great and the art makes the book a chore to read. I mean, I appreciate that art isn't everything, but it's a big drat part, and when your book's ugly, it's an instant strike against it.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Brian Lynch has Angel's voice down pat, and the first arc was strong. I think the more Angel and Spike we get, the better it will be. The art doesn't faze me (I could barely look at the new Spike comic, though). It was spinning it's wheels for a couple of issues but I think it's about to pick up in a big way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Woodtopian posted:

Brian Lynch has Angel's voice down pat, and the first arc was strong. I think the more Angel and Spike we get, the better it will be. The art doesn't faze me (I could barely look at the new Spike comic, though). It was spinning it's wheels for a couple of issues but I think it's about to pick up in a big way.

But uh, Franco Urru draws Spike ATF and he was the original artist for Angel ATF.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AquaVita posted:

Not lorney tunes :mad: I think he did his best to be a good being. His character depresses me the most though. Everyone treats him like poo poo, he raised conner practically by himself, then conner hated him. No one ever listens to him unless they want their futures read, and he's pretty much just crapped on for the entire show, yet he's always there, trying to make people feel better.

The end of Angel("goodnight folks"....jesus christ), and the scene with him at the bar telling the barkeep that he just 'tells people what they want to hear' is some of the most depressing poo poo ever.

Yeah. Bummer. Don't forget his family and town seemed to hate him too.

But let us consider the facts:

Our first meeting of Lorne has him mysteriously sending Angel to mess up an otherwise good situation all so he can be judged by some mysterious court of ghostly beings. If he fails, he dies.

He sends Angel to the Swami out in the country who tries to kill him.

Later, he sends Angel to The Trials to try and win Darla's life back. He succeeds, but fails, and this is, supposedly, the true conception of Connor.

He comes up with the spell to send Angel to see The Powers that Be which Skip uses to persuade Cordy to be injected with Jasmine.

He casts the spell of youth, and then brings back everyone's memories, including Jasmine's.

I'm sure there's more examples, but you see where I'm going with this:

Lorne was a Jasmine plant. ;)

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?

redshirt posted:

Later, he sends Angel to The Trials to try and win Darla's life back. He succeeds, but fails, and this is, supposedly, the true conception of Connor.

True conception? I thought it was the night he didn't lose his soul.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

Bunnita posted:

True conception? I thought it was the night he didn't lose his soul.

What he means is that he successfully passed the trials to give Darla a second chance at life, but it was worthless to him because Darla couldn't use it as she was already resurrected by Wolfram & Hart and was already on her "second chance". So the "second life" presented itself in the form of Connor (when Angel and Darla got it on of course, because apparently even magic abides by human physiology.

TuxRacer69
May 6, 2007

by Fragmaster
Dr. Horrible is now on Hulu, albeit with commercials, in one episode with all 3 acts.

Here.

Paradol Ex
Nov 8, 2004

by Fragmaster
So does anyone else think that, unintentionally or not, both Buffy and Angel series' were about Angel and Spike's relationship?

TuxRacer69 posted:

Dr. Horrible is now on Hulu, albeit with commercials, in one episode with all 3 acts.

Here.
I hope this doesn't mean it wasn't selling well. :(

Malloci
Oct 9, 2006

by Ozma
I just finished Firefly and Serenity and prior to watching it i was uneasy about the synopsis "Sci-Fi Western". Though, I was very pleasantly surprised after finishing the season and film.

It sucks that it was prematurely canned, it seems that had it not of been it could have gone on to accomplish many seasons.

I still and very intrigued on who book really was.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Man, sometimes I get tired of seeing something in Angel that contradicts something earlier.

In the first episode of Season 5, Angel goes to "Spanky's" house and gets choked, to no effect because vampires don't breath. But...in Buffy season 2 Spike chokes Drusilla to stop her from fighting and leaves with her, because she passes out.

Dark Chicken
Dec 15, 2002

TuxRacer69 posted:

Here.

It's also on the front page of myspace, for myspacetv or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Man, sometimes I get tired of seeing something in Angel that contradicts something earlier.

In the first episode of Season 5, Angel goes to "Spanky's" house and gets choked, to no effect because vampires don't breath. But...in Buffy season 2 Spike chokes Drusilla to stop her from fighting and leaves with her, because she passes out.

Or Spike getting drowned by the Ubervamp in Season 7.

What are you gonna do? It's all magic.

Vampire physiology makes no sense, without magic.

• Locked thread