Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
A three-legged woman is better than a headless man.
I'm trying to remember all my HTML training from way back when. I think perhaps it may be possible to do the same sort of thing with an image map. I can draw up a room no problem, but after that I'm slightly lost. I think I'll play with it a bit and see what I can do though. If we could post that on the team site and then point a banner ad towards it I think it could work to draw in some business, especially around the holidays.

Seriously, those scents smell amazing! I'll be ordering them for sure. I bet you'll do awesome at a craft fair. Everyone needs soap and since it's so close to Christmas it would be a great gift idea. You could even do up a couple of sample baskets for display to show people how to gift them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Well I had an idea with my switch plates for the holiday's would be holiday themed switch plates. I figure this would be really only good for christmas/thanksgiving. They would make great decorations.

The only problem is, I have no idea how much I should do that are holiday themed. Most people never think to switch out a switch plate, let alone put one up just for the holiday's I would think.

I think I've gotten about half dozen different holiday fabrics (one or two I think are currently listed right now).

My mother in law also said she wants to be more involved in my etsy thing as a way to bond, so she is going to start sewing placemats that we will sell (all the left over scraps I get for switch plate use hehe).

So I figure we might try a to do something like a free matching switch plate with purchase of four placemats..but also even though chistmas is like 5 months away, we have so many things going on with buying a new home, that I'm sure we only would be able to get 2-3 sets of placemats done.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Rathina, I think that's a great idea!

Anyone seen this? http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=5743625

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

I'm really not sure what that whole thing about thecropchick is about. I must have missed it or something. Just reading that thread alone though it seems like shes pretty retarded.

quote:

was bashed the other day in one of the 10 top websites in the Netherlands! really, it's a blog dedicated to bad design and one of the items from my other store appeared in it, the text following said it was tasteless and blamed me for coping it from a different product that don't even look like mine and who I've never seen before.

You know what - I don't mind, and this is why:

Any publicity is good publicity, if your name is out there, for better or worst, it's a good thing.
This site got me over 1,500 views.

I thought that was absoulutly hilarious. One because she is obviously lying about getting 1,500 views, as seen from the low view counts in her shop. The second, is that 'any publicity is good publicity' doesnt work if you don't have anything people want to buy. This counts as bashing too right guys? LOL

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

So you're not that special. Welcome to the human race!
Wow, I paid and joined SA years ago...with the sole purpose in mind of complaining when someone was spamming the Etsy forums years in the future. That's why I paid my $10.

Er, yeah.

:hurr:

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Rathina, you probably would have missed it had you just blinked. I made a comment one night that I was trying to read the forums but this chick just kept endlessly posting stupid comments. Everyone agreed, we were thankful for the mods around here that don't allow that bullshit and that was the end of it.
I'm quite enjoying watch her make a moron out of herself. In fact, I even considered buying her an SA membership so we could watch the stupidity, but since she'd be banned within 15 minutes, it would just be a huge waste.

Another super rainy day here and I have the day and tomorrow off work. I think I'll get started on the room thing and just see if I can do anything with it.

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

altazakin posted:

Uh, yeah, this is SA. We are immature, I thought that was the point?

If you want to tell me your camera I'm happy to search for you. But you can always try google too, it might help. Being handy with photo shop is usually enough.

I technically don't have photoshop, I have corel, and it has a nifty auto-balance tool. But it can cause colors to tend to the blue side, so I may auto-balance it and then hue-correct it so it's not so blue.

Altazakin, I have a digital rebel and I get a yellowish orange color and sometimes blue. Help.

Also egg nog soap, OMG hubby will just die.

Mrs. Orgasmo fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 4, 2008

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

Rathina posted:

(etsy names) feralgoat, elabela, cemetracie, awapplesauce

I will add them to the etsy team side.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

I'm doing this from memory --

You will have to be on a non-fully-auto setting (so not that green square setting). Put it on M. That's what I shoot on, that is full manual. The dial thingy on the top of the camera.

There should be a set of buttons on the right hand side with WB on the bottom. When you click that you will see options in the LCD screen. If you are inside with lightbulbs, try tungsten setting. Outside there are a couple settings (shade, etc).

Lemme know if that works for you!

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

altazakin posted:

I'm doing this from memory --

You will have to be on a non-fully-auto setting (so not that green square setting). Put it on M. That's what I shoot on, that is full manual. The dial thingy on the top of the camera.

There should be a set of buttons on the right hand side with WB on the bottom. When you click that you will see options in the LCD screen. If you are inside with lightbulbs, try tungsten setting. Outside there are a couple settings (shade, etc).

Lemme know if that works for you!

Thanks, will do!

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Canada Post is a pain in my rear end. I just shipped off a custom order that I received yesterday for two items weighing in at 2 pounds. I charged the regular $6 as the packages come in at around $5.63 plus tax. So I run it to the post office. It cost $26 to mail to the US. Seriously, I feel gouged. I ate the cost of course and off it went. Apparently I was 1" over what they consider small packet, which would be $6. A jump from $6 to $26 though, that's just ridiculous. At least now I know to keep all packages under 2" high. Bastards.

I am the milkman
Oct 25, 2005
my milk is delicious
Just put out some stuff today. http://morotsmos.etsy.com
I would appreciate critique on prices and such, but I don't really know if I'm going to make it a regular thing to sell stuff I make.
Guess I can have this one as a "practice" shop of sorts before I get the hang of it. I really feel I need to focus my product range and also get more quality stuff up.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

pixel, that's a total bummer. I've heard about Canada's infamous slot -- have to fit the packages through that, right?

milkman, your drawings look rad. If I may offer a critique, if you can swing it so that your pics are like, flat -- like scanned? I think they'd look even better, for things like the front page and treasuries.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Yeah, the letter slot. Or "the slot of doom" as others call it. I just figured this would go as a light package. I even bought a bubble mailer while there, hauled it all out of the box and tried again. It was $2 more, but since I'd paid $3 for the mailer I just told her to go ahead. Luckily it's always the same girl and we have a pretty good relationship up to this point so she moaned along with me. But yeah, nothing else is going out over 3" unless it's within Canada. *sigh*

milkman, I like your stuff! The scans are a good idea too.

My new pictures have made a world of difference by the way. My views on all the newly taken pictures are way up and I've had a bunch of convos for custom stuff. It was worth the 5 minutes of lightbox assembly time for sure. Since I was busy making new stuff I didn't get to do the room picture though. It's still on my radar.

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

pixel8ed posted:

Yeah, the letter slot. Or "the slot of doom" as others call it. I just figured this would go as a light package. I even bought a bubble mailer while there, hauled it all out of the box and tried again. It was $2 more, but since I'd paid $3 for the mailer I just told her to go ahead. Luckily it's always the same girl and we have a pretty good relationship up to this point so she moaned along with me. But yeah, nothing else is going out over 3" unless it's within Canada. *sigh*

milkman, I like your stuff! The scans are a good idea too.

My new pictures have made a world of difference by the way. My views on all the newly taken pictures are way up and I've had a bunch of convos for custom stuff. It was worth the 5 minutes of lightbox assembly time for sure. Since I was busy making new stuff I didn't get to do the room picture though. It's still on my radar.

So you all don't have flat rate envelopes and boxes?

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
So speaking of holidays, I haven't actually planned any holiday themed bags at all, do you all think thats a bad thing? I have been so behind I haven't even thought to go out and find seasonal print. I usually just go with the seasonal color themes. Thoughts?

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004

Mrs. Orgasmo posted:

So you all don't have flat rate envelopes and boxes?

Well, sort of. We have flat rate priority, which starts at about $30 to the US (that would be a flat envelope). But for regular mail we don't. Apparently priority would get there in about 3 days, but I'd have to see it to believe it. Regular air mail takes between 1 and 2 weeks.

Veila, I don't really think you need seasonal print bags. But it's good to have a bit of stock on hand so people can use it for gifts. So, I'd say just continue doing what you're doing!

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

pixel8ed posted:

Well, sort of. We have flat rate priority, which starts at about $30 to the US (that would be a flat envelope). But for regular mail we don't. Apparently priority would get there in about 3 days, but I'd have to see it to believe it. Regular air mail takes between 1 and 2 weeks.

Veila, I don't really think you need seasonal print bags. But it's good to have a bit of stock on hand so people can use it for gifts. So, I'd say just continue doing what you're doing!

That's crummy! Our international flat rate envelope to canada is like 9 something and everywhere else 11 something.

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

Veila posted:

So speaking of holidays, I haven't actually planned any holiday themed bags at all, do you all think thats a bad thing? I have been so behind I haven't even thought to go out and find seasonal print. I usually just go with the seasonal color themes. Thoughts?

No I don't think that's a bad thing. One thing sellers do is list holiday items and to me that's not good. Why? Well because people are looking for gifts no holiday themed items.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004

Mrs. Orgasmo posted:

That's crummy! Our international flat rate envelope to canada is like 9 something and everywhere else 11 something.

I'd love for them to have something like that. Really, $26 is just insane for a small package unless it's being carried on a velvet pillow and sitting in a first class seat. I really don't understand why our postal service is so expensive. Well, yeah I do. Government owned I suppose.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

I remember many posts in the etsy forums about how to unload all the holiday-themed items from stores in January. Be careful how much you make that can't sell after xmas!

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
The holiday stuff is tricky. I just make a few holidays themed things. If the cards don't sell by December 20th, I use them myself. Other holiday themed things I use as gifts for others. Last year I actually only ended up with 1 ornament left and this year I plan on doing cards by special order only. I'll upload a few designs and take orders for them. I don't sell online in large quantities anyway, so I'm not too worried about an influx of card orders, and I can always remove the option if I get too overwhelmed. Craft fairs are a different story though. I sell more holiday themed things there from October to December than anything else.

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

pixel8ed posted:

I'd love for them to have something like that. Really, $26 is just insane for a small package unless it's being carried on a velvet pillow and sitting in a first class seat. I really don't understand why our postal service is so expensive. Well, yeah I do. Government owned I suppose.

Ours is goverment owned too. Canadians get ripped off. Do you live close to the boarder? Some canadians go into the states and mail that way to save money.

FuzzyDunlop
Oct 7, 2003

in ur chest, meltin ur heart
Oh my gosh! I made the front page today in Treasury West! This seriously made my week.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004

Mrs. Orgasmo posted:

Ours is goverment owned too. Canadians get ripped off. Do you live close to the boarder? Some canadians go into the states and mail that way to save money.

I'm about a little over an hour from the border so with gas prices the way they are it just wouldn't make sense to drive all that way for the few sales I get every month. If I was selling in any large quantity though it would be totally worth it.

RepoRebo, that is awesome! Congrats!

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007

RepoRebo posted:

Oh my gosh! I made the front page today in Treasury West! This seriously made my week.

Congratulations! That's fantastic!

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!
Awesome!

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

altazakin posted:

It's the copycats that state in their announcement that they are the original, I've found. Blech. I think most shoppers know this.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5950484

My copier has decided to "phase out" her bars of soap and do whipped soap, conveniently just like I do!

"07/28 I decided to take a much needed vacation for the next 7 days or less. During that time I will be checking convo's, emails, sold orders and phasing out most of my soap bars when I return. Soap making is a hobby turned into a passion/part time income however I now have other commitments and no longer have the time for bars however I will be relaunching a new whipped luxury soap jar in a in mouth watering aromas and unscented as they require less time to make and as always my prices will also be very reasonable....All items will remain on sale for the next several days."

Even her packaging is copying me. She's just disgusting.

she listed her soaps again
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5950484

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

Hell yes! Look at that gorgeous yarn front page!!

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
Is there still interest in creating a new thread?

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

altazakin posted:

I think I'll be selling off some cold process soaps on my website to draw traffic to it. Since I'm just learning the technique they aren't spectacular yet, but I can't afford to practice and just throw them away. I think after they cure I'll list them there.

I absolutely *love* your soaps, please list them on etsy or even as samples. I'm still broke at the moment [:(] but I don't think I'll buy soaps from anywhere else again. Do you think you'll ever do lotions again?

Dr. Video Games 0097
Jan 13, 2006

Drop bombs on ya~

1up posted:

I absolutely *love* your soaps, please list them on etsy or even as samples. I'm still broke at the moment [:(] but I don't think I'll buy soaps from anywhere else again. Do you think you'll ever do lotions again?

I'm seconding that you should list a few of them, and maybe send some out with repeat customers as samples with a note stating that you'd like feedback on them, maybe? I could see that working.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

altazakin, I was wondering if you ever make any banana-scented soaps? I noticed your copier there has a banana whipped soap that looks delicious, but I'd much rather get it from you!

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

I did send out a couple bars to my cold-process-soap-friends (my soap guild members) and some repeat customers so that they can try them out. I'm being cautious with them and having the pros check them out. I think they're too squishy when they get wet. I'm nervous about listing anything that's not a good enough quality. But I am pretty sure I'll put them on my website for sale, with the caveat that these are newbie bars (and they'll have a lower price to acknowledge that).

For banana, it's been pretty hard to find a decent banana scent. I think I might have one though -- I had originally had a request for Bananas Foster so that started my banana hunt. I haven't actually used the one I found but the fragrance is promising -- I'll try it out in some soap and creme fraiche :)

I recently got guava and it's pretty amazing.

Anode
Dec 24, 2005

Nail me to my car and I'll tell you who you are
I put together a website to scrape your Etsy store/feed and give you a file you can upload to Google Base. It's at http://www.letsets.com if anybody's interested.

Also, if any goons want to run some ads for free for a while, feel free to PM me.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

altazakin posted:

For banana, it's been pretty hard to find a decent banana scent. I think I might have one though -- I had originally had a request for Bananas Foster so that started my banana hunt. I haven't actually used the one I found but the fragrance is promising -- I'll try it out in some soap and creme fraiche :)

I recently got guava and it's pretty amazing.

Great, I'll keep an eye on your store. Guava sounds great as well!

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

Nrapture posted:

Is there still interest in creating a new thread?

I know we need a new thread, I just am not sure where....This thread stays on top pretty well in this forum..but I'm wondering if we should branch out and create the new thread in GBS or something. Though if we keep it in DIY, probably should do a new thread too so we can keep the first post updated. I just have not really had time to sit down and write a "gbs worthy" thread. I think putting in GBS would bring a lot of traffic...but then also a lot of 'off topic' stuff I guess. I'm really not so sure.

My ideas so far would sort of like calling it the Etsy Mega Thread. The first post needs to have information about what Etsy is, and also a link to the website (which I've been able to keep uptodate very easily) and how to join/instructions for tagging, and anything else I might have forgotten.

As far as the webpage goes, I've been adding everyone who posts in here to both the side bar and the shops link. As for the posts for the main page on the goonsquad website, I mostly have just posted when there are treasuries, but if any one else has any ideas for posts, or would like posting abilitys I can create accounts for that too.

If you want to go ahead and do the new thread, thats fine, or if anyone has any other ideas or anything, lets discuss them!

Rathina fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 9, 2008

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

Anode posted:

I put together a website to scrape your Etsy store/feed and give you a file you can upload to Google Base. It's at http://www.letsets.com if anybody's interested.

Also, if any goons want to run some ads for free for a while, feel free to PM me.

Very Cool, I'm going to try this right now, and I'd like to run an ad too.

Also, how often would someone need to do this, once a month or so? or just when you upload lots of items?

If you create a small banner/image or something I can go ahead and put an ad up for you on the etsygoonsquad.com website, just let me know.

Anode
Dec 24, 2005

Nail me to my car and I'll tell you who you are

Rathina posted:

Also, how often would someone need to do this, once a month or so? or just when you upload lots of items?
Once I got my girlfriend's processed it said it would stay up for 30 days, but I'd imagine it depends on your turnover. I'm considering letting people select partial ranges so you can make another feed with just your relists/new stuff

quote:

If you create a small banner/image or something I can go ahead and put an ad up for you on the etsygoonsquad.com website, just let me know.
I actually meant I'd run ads for goon shops, but this sounds intriguing also! What size would you prefer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

Anode posted:

I actually meant I'd run ads for goon shops, but this sounds intriguing also! What size would you prefer?

Well this is all about goons helping goons :) The website is http://www.etsygoonsquad.com/ and I'm thinking a small image on the left side bar perhaps, something along the size of the "handmade pledge" button that is on their already. I'm actually thinking of doing away with the etsy mini on that left bar, as with so many of us, and no real way to be fair with what items show up on the side.

Also I am interested in having my shop ad on your site :)