Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, I FAQ-ed the poo poo out of Symphonia after I beat it and tried to do as many sidequests as possible at the end-game. So I got all of the Devil Arms, went to the supposed location, but oops! Not there. It's been a while since I pulled my save up so I guess it's possible I missed a Devil's Arm (I was sure I hadn't though...), or maybe I got it mixed up and checked the location first and then got the Arms or something stupid like that. If it's not a quest that is time-limited, then that's fine, I'll just do it properly in my next play through.
Well, try to equip everyone with a Devil Arm. Can you? If so, then ok, maybe you had already spoken with Abyssion and he's waiting for you in hte very bottom of the Shadow Temple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am anxiously looking forward to Knights of Ratatosk (gently caress this Dawn of a New World name) but I hope the whole monster tamer side of things isn't a huge maths and database tables drag.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Well, try to equip everyone with a Devil Arm. Can you? If so, then ok, maybe you had already spoken with Abyssion and he's waiting for you in hte very bottom of the Shadow Temple.

One thing to note is that Zelos has TWO devils arms. Even though Kratos and Zelos use the same weapons, there's one for each of them.

Also, I thought Abyssion was a really lovely optional boss. I know he's trying to sound all deep-voiced and EVIL, but he just sounds like he's mumbling and I can't understand a word he's saying.

hope you are ok
Apr 16, 2005

mune posted:

:words:

Personally, even if the rest of the game was really bad, I'd still enjoy it for the battle system and all the extra stuff you can do. It stays fun for the whole of the game because even the second time through you'll be figuring out new stuff, getting new AD skills and doing side-quests that might have been missed the first time. I just got Jade's forbidden fonic artes and Meteor Storm is awesome although I'd hate to have searched for them without a guide. Abyss is the only RPG I've ever played that took me longer the second time because of all the extra stuff I neglected first time through.

also one of the reasons I like Abyss much more than Symphonia is because of the awful dungeons and puzzles in the latter. Abyss is more straightforward and just lets you run around fighting things until you get to the end of the dungeon. I dread going through those sewers again if I ever want to replay Symphonia

hope you are ok fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 21, 2008

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!

Calaveron posted:

Bad advice. Abyss had this glitch, so I'm not sure if it was in Symphonia, but if you had one of the special weapons equipped, it wouldn't show up in your inventory, and thus you couldn't trigger certain events.

and RE: mune

I guess people are comparing Abyss' story to other RPGs? Because while I agree the story's no great shakes on its own, I think in the context of an RPG, it's kind of refreshing how it avoids certain cliches. The plot as a whole is as jumbled a mess as any other RPG, but unlike other RPGs, there were more plot segments where I could say, "Oh, hey, that was a pretty interesting," and tiny parts of the game that surprised me by avoiding a certain cliche fairly well.

IMO, Abyss didn't have a good story, but it was at least a decent first draft, which is more than I'm willing to say for most RPGs.

e: And I mostly play RPGs for the battle system, so the story could have been poo poo, and I'd still have enjoyed the hell out of Abyss.

WingsOfSteel fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 21, 2008

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Armitage posted:

What was wrong with the GBA port? I beat it and really liked it, despite it having possibly the most annoying random encounter monster in any jRPG to date(Magus. gently caress you Magus.)

I'm not sure if counting a random encounter near the end of one of these games counts as a spoiler, but I figured I'd spoiler it just to be safe.

The biggest problem I had with the GBA port is the fact that the translation was so terrible. Cless Alvein somehow became Cress Albane. Don't really care if that is what it was supposed to translate to because Cress is retarded name. Beyond that they some how translated ,"Ragnarok" to "Kangaroo". How they did this, I have no goddamn idea. They cut out the opening song for some reason and the voice acting is pretty terrible and voice acting normally never bothers me. I've played through the SNES and GBA versions and currently playing through the PSX version when I have the time. I think I like the SNES one the best just for the DeJap translation. DeJap seems to have gotten it right in the fact that they had to change the script occasionally so that it made sense to the people who were now going to be reading it. Besides, I bet Arche really does gently caress like a tiget!

Stow
Feb 14, 2004

Sub-Actuality posted:

I haven't seen Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology (PSP) mentioned here - can anyone recommend for or against it?

It barely has any plot going for it and there's a lot of grinding involved, but being able to make all-star teams of your favorite characters throughout the series (well, some of them) is fun for a while. The game revolves around missions, fetch this, find this, mine this, etc. Pretty unrewarding, but your best option for Tales on the go.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

WingsOfSteel posted:

Bad advice. Abyss had this glitch, so I'm not sure if it was in Symphonia, but if you had one of the special weapons equipped, it wouldn't show up in your inventory, and thus you couldn't trigger certain events.

and RE: mune

I guess people are comparing Abyss' story to other RPGs? Because while I agree the story's no great shakes on its own, I think in the context of an RPG, it's kind of refreshing how it avoids certain cliches. The plot as a whole is as jumbled a mess as any other RPG, but unlike other RPGs, there were more plot segments where I could say, "Oh, hey, that was a pretty interesting," and tiny parts of the game that surprised me by avoiding a certain cliche fairly well.

IMO, Abyss didn't have a good story, but it was at least a decent first draft, which is more than I'm willing to say for most RPGs.

e: And I mostly play RPGs for the battle system, so the story could have been poo poo, and I'd still have enjoyed the hell out of Abyss.

There's no glitch like that in Symphonia as far as I recall.
And yeah, taking into account there being a Sword and Dagger DA, there's a total of nine. After collecting them all talk to Abyssion in that snowy city, then meet him up in the very bottom of the temple where you fought Shade with plenty of Gels and Life Bottles.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's really a shame that Tales of Destiny 2 never came out in the US, because it has the best character in a Tales game yet, Harold.

Scholar, engineer, mad scientist, and on the absolute HEIGHT of fashion.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Cless Alvein posted:

The biggest problem I had with the GBA port is the fact that the translation was so terrible. Cless Alvein somehow became Cress Albane. Don't really care if that is what it was supposed to translate to because Cress is retarded name.

All the other Tales games call him Cress, too. I'm not sure if he makes a cameo in Destiny, but he's an optional boss fight in Eternia. I've only seen him as Cless in deJap's translation.

Cless Alvein posted:

Beyond that they some how translated ,"Ragnarok" to "Kangaroo". How they did this, I have no goddamn idea. They cut out the opening song for some reason and the voice acting is pretty terrible and voice acting normally never bothers me. I've played through the SNES and GBA versions and currently playing through the PSX version when I have the time. I think I like the SNES one the best just for the DeJap translation. DeJap seems to have gotten it right in the fact that they had to change the script occasionally so that it made sense to the people who were now going to be reading it. Besides, I bet Arche really does gently caress like a tiget!

The rest of this is spot-on, DeJap did a way better job with rephrasing things so it makes sense when needed. That last line could have been phrased differently, but I can ignore it. The rest is great.

also holy poo poo your username

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If the wikipedia entry is to be trusted, isn't the DeJap translation grossly incorrect as well? As in, supposedly the meanings of a lot of conversations are changed completely as well as containing a lot of unnecessary profanity? I know a lot of people played the DeJap version first and have some sort of attachment to it, but it seems like only the PSX translation is closest to the original while still made to sound as natural as possible to a native English speaker.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Armitage posted:

What was wrong with the GBA port?

Besides what has been mentioned, I was bothered a lot by the stuff they had to sacrifice to get the game to work on the GBA. The music is horrible and the poo poo they did with the colors looks like complete poo poo on anything except the original GBA.

Now granted, that last thing isn't necessarily Namco's fault since they had to work with what was in existence at the time, but it still irritates the poo poo out of me.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

If the wikipedia entry is to be trusted, isn't the DeJap translation grossly incorrect as well? As in, supposedly the meanings of a lot of conversations are changed completely as well as containing a lot of unnecessary profanity? I know a lot of people played the DeJap version first and have some sort of attachment to it, but it seems like only the PSX translation is closest to the original while still made to sound as natural as possible to a native English speaker.

There was only a little unnecessary profanity (I think twice?), but for the most part they did a really good job writing it. Overall better than the GBA version at least. I haven't played the PSX one, though.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I actually forgot to write about Radiant Mythology 2 in the OP. I even forgot that game existed :doh:

Rest assured I'll give it a place in the OP since it is another Tales game coming soon.

e: done.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 21, 2008

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Cless Alvein posted:

The biggest problem I had with the GBA port is the fact that the translation was so terrible. Cless Alvein somehow became Cress Albane. Don't really care if that is what it was supposed to translate to because Cress is retarded name. Beyond that they some how translated ,"Ragnarok" to "Kangaroo". How they did this, I have no goddamn idea. They cut out the opening song for some reason and the voice acting is pretty terrible and voice acting normally never bothers me. I've played through the SNES and GBA versions and currently playing through the PSX version when I have the time. I think I like the SNES one the best just for the DeJap translation. DeJap seems to have gotten it right in the fact that they had to change the script occasionally so that it made sense to the people who were now going to be reading it. Besides, I bet Arche really does gently caress like a tiget!

:psyduck:

I hope that answers your question.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Skychrono posted:

:psyduck:

I hope that answers your question.
Ha aha ha!

I just checked my version of Word (2007), it reports "ragnarok" as being misspelled, but doesn't offer any spelling suggestions.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ha aha ha!

I just checked my version of Word (2007), it reports "ragnarok" as being misspelled, but doesn't offer any spelling suggestions.

Maybe in the four years since Word 2003 they learned that Kangaroo is not an acceptable substitute for a mythological war.

...not that the war itself is in the word-bank.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Skychrono posted:

Maybe in the four years since Word 2003 they learned that Kangaroo is not an acceptable substitute for a mythological war.

...not that the war itself is in the word-bank.
Maybe Kangaroo was the original word that got corrupted into Ragnarok...

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I liked Symphonia, but had the same complaints (re: story) that everyone else does. Are the other games in the series mostly similar? If I want to play another game in the series, would it be best to go with Phantasia, Destiny, Abyss, or another one?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Kim Jong Il posted:

I liked Symphonia, but had the same complaints (re: story) that everyone else does. Are the other games in the series mostly similar? If I want to play another game in the series, would it be best to go with Phantasia, Destiny, Abyss, or another one?
I say Abyss, though it's certainly longer/more complex than the others. Phantasia and Destiny are missing the character skits that are the best part of the series these days. Though Destiny is a lot of fun and looks great.

hope you are ok
Apr 16, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

Definitely Abyss, it's basically more of the same but slightly improved. I'd only really recommend the other games if you've finished both of those and enjoyed them.

Cross
Mar 30, 2003

This was their new emblem.

Kim Jong Il posted:

If you want something similar to Symphonia, you should try Abyss (or if you've got a 360 and can wait a week, Vesperia). The same development team made those three games, and they're pretty much the best (at least of the games that have been released in English). Those three are the ones that use 3d battlefields like Symphonia; Abyss and Vesperia improve things by letting you hold a button to run freely.
As far as the other games go, the only way you'll really go wrong is with Phantasia (not a bad game, but really primitive compared to all the more recent entries in the series) or Legendia (just kind of mediocre in general). I didn't think Eternia was all that great, but a lot of people liked it. My favourite of the whole series is still Destiny, mostly because I thought it had a cool world/setting. It's only the second game though, so the combat system is still a bit rough compared to more recent games.

I think Symphonia is probably the worst in the series (at least in English) in terms of having a really cliched story. Not that the other games are highly original, or anything, but for the most part I only found that Symphonia seemed to progress the plot by going from trope to trope. Abyss is known for having a bit more of a serious tone, after the first few hours where it's all lighthearted, and from the early impressions floating around, Vesperia is going to be the same way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Lots of Tales games have racial discrimination at the heart of their stories, but being written by Japanese people in a country that is 99.999% Japanese, who pretty much only know about racial discrimination from movies and such, they hardly ever handle it well.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I just ordered the ToV OST off of Play-Asia. This may be one of the most embarassing/nerdiest purchases I have made yet but I don't care.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Spiffo posted:

All the other Tales games call him Cress, too. I'm not sure if he makes a cameo in Destiny, but he's an optional boss fight in Eternia. I've only seen him as Cless in deJap's translation.

He's got a Destiny cameo. He and Arche are in one of the towns and I think you can take some kind of quiz with them to get bonus items. I don't remember exactly, it's been almost 10 years since I played the game.

Also, complaining about Cress/Cless is about as high on the japanese purist faggotry ladder as you can go. It's a pretty awful name either way.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 21, 2008

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Spiffo posted:

also holy poo poo your username

I've been going by variations of this name since I first played it around 10 years ago. The PSX fan trans calls him Cless too. I'm not sure if the second fan project calls him that since I haven't actually look into it. I think the the anime might have been Cless too. Not sure since I've never actually seen it.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 22, 2008

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Haven't linked this yet so here it is; "throughhim413", who previously beat Phantasian Productions to the punch in translating Phantasia PS1, is now working on translating Tales of Innocence. Statuswise, all of the battle-specific text has been translated, menu text is about 50%, and skits and event scenes have not yet been started. Like the ToP patch it has the option for romanized or translated tech names, but unlike the ToP patch he will use most of Namco-Bandai's names for techs and items now. He also has another secret project which he should announced early September. I hope it's ToD 2 PSP.

http://zettaizero.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/tales-of-innocence-translation-announcement/

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Cless Alvein posted:

L/R quibbles and the kangaroo travesty aside, the DeJap translation is pretty notorious for pretty frequently having absolutely zero relation to the original text. While polishing the script so it's actually, you know, good is a fine and dandy thing to do, I'd like it to actually be a translation rather than people making poo poo up. Like the 'fucks like a tiger' line.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I've been playing the Vesperia demo and can't wait for the actual release, but I'm confused about a couple things. Does Overdrive just make you do more damage or are there other effects? I've seen videos that suggest it makes extended combos easier, but I can't figure out how that works. Also, is 'hi ougi' a kind of Arte or something else?

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Overlimit has various effects on it depending on what level the bar is when you activate it. I can't say I'm 100% sure on what all these effects are, but I know a few. The higher the bar is when you trigger it, the longer it lasts, and when activate you're unstaggerable, your attacks are stronger (as you know), the normal chain order can be ignored, so you can chain your artes in any order you like, and Burst Artes can be used. Use a Skill Change tech (for Yuri this would be either Cerberus Blast or Lone Wolf Storm) and hold the attack button to trigger one. If you're playing a spellcaster your spells' charge times are drastically shortened as well as all the other effects.

"hi ougi" aka Mystic Arte is basically a FF style Limit Break for everyone. You can't do these in the demo so don't worry too much about them.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.
I think the last one i enjoyed all the way through was Destiny 1. Eternia was okay for a bit. Then you play Symphonia and it's almost the exact same game. Then you play Legendia and it's a bore. Then you play Abyss and it's Symphonia again but with worse characters.

Vesperia looks the same.

Ohh welll :(((

JuSt
A
MaCaRoNi
SaLaD
LoViN'
MaN

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Symphonia is probably my favourite RPG ever (Although Rogue Galaxy, which obviously isn't a Tales game, is edging it out). It's the only RPG I've ever completed, and I went back and played a New Game+ with 10x EXP set and some other cool stuff.

My characters are all around level 190, each one has the best weapon available in the game (Love the Gaia Cleaver (I think that's its name?)), except for a couple who need to complete the Colosseum to get it. Collette isn't exactly fantastic to play solo. I've gotten all of the Devil Arms, but I didn't carry across my kills, so they're a little underpowered.

It's the furthest I've ever taken an RPG, and I never usually complete games, let alone do it twice.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
I dunno what I found so different about it, but I didn't play much of Abyss. I friggin adore Symphonia, all of it. I've played over the game countless times, getting every ending. Collected everything, collected nothing. Normal route, "hard" route. But I could never get into Abyss or any other Tales game no matter how hard I tried. Symphonia seems to be the only Tales game I truly enjoy and I am totally stoked for the sequel.

Anyone know why this may be?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lyrax posted:

I dunno what I found so different about it, but I didn't play much of Abyss. I friggin adore Symphonia, all of it. I've played over the game countless times, getting every ending. Collected everything, collected nothing. Normal route, "hard" route. But I could never get into Abyss or any other Tales game no matter how hard I tried. Symphonia seems to be the only Tales game I truly enjoy and I am totally stoked for the sequel.

Anyone know why this may be?

They say ToS2 is not very good, but I thought ToS was a great game and I'm really looking forward to it.
It's even better if you imagine the game IS a parody and the characters are about to burst out laughing every time they say one of their lines.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Calaveron posted:

It's even better if you imagine the game IS a parody and the characters are about to burst out laughing every time they say one of their lines.

I love how some of the dungeons gave you a quick jump option that lets you warp back to the entrance. There was some dungeon or area where you had to backtrack all the way through it again, and IIRC in a skit Lloyd said something like "Why couldn't they give us a quickjump?"

I'm torn between being amused that the designers/writers would break the fourth wall and make fun of themselves like that, and being terribly annoyed that they make you backtrack despite knowing how irritating it is :argh:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
It's been forever since I've played Symphonia, but didn't it not have non-random, non-re-spawning battles like Dragon Quarter? The lack of quickjump annoyed the living gently caress out of me in Final Fantasy II (the original, already-annoying NES version) for instance, but I don't remember minding in Symphonia.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

neongrey posted:

L/R quibbles and the kangaroo travesty aside, the DeJap translation is pretty notorious for pretty frequently having absolutely zero relation to the original text. While polishing the script so it's actually, you know, good is a fine and dandy thing to do, I'd like it to actually be a translation rather than people making poo poo up. Like the 'fucks like a tiger' line.

So what exactly is he supposed to be saying? I never played any version other than the Dejap one.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
The GBA version translates that line as "Mint and Arche, who else!? So, which one are you after? Mint... She's prim and proper. I like that in a girl. Arche on the other hand... She's a little firebrand. It's hard to turn your back on a girl like that!"

I can't say how much more accurate that is, but that line seems a lot more in keeping with the feel of the game and the other is just vulgarity and 'edginess' for the sake of it. The GBA version's problems lie more in lack of polish and proofreading than with actual errors. The 'fucks like a tiger' line strikes me as intended for/written by the 'wow, FF7 has SWEARS in it, all of these untranslated games must be dirty as hell!' set. Considering the dejap translation was done in 1999, the time is about right for that to still be the sentiment.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

It's been forever since I've played Symphonia, but didn't it not have non-random, non-re-spawning battles like Dragon Quarter? The lack of quickjump annoyed the living gently caress out of me in Final Fantasy II (the original, already-annoying NES version) for instance, but I don't remember minding in Symphonia.

Yeah, Symphonia lacked random battles. So did Abyss too. They weren't non-respawning though, except from a few cases iirc.

One thing I really like about this series is that EVERYONE in the party gains experience after battles, active or not, but they only learn most moves when actually active. This means there's a reason to switch out party members and train them up but you'll not be completely screwed if you decide to ignore someone and you're forced to use them. That and the Synopsis feature in the later games. More JRPGs need that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Double posting to keep everyone updated on the Tales of Innocence translation. Menu is about 80% done now and progress is smooth. September is nearing so he should be announcing his next, possibily Tales related project then.

http://zettaizero.wordpress.com/2008/08/24/schools-eve-update/