Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
CAs DVD remastering continues:

LOGH Episode 03(DVD)
LOGH Episode 04(DVD)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I've been playing Sins of a Solar Empire, and all of a sudden feel the urge to watch LOGH all over again. All 110 episodes. :argh: LOGH why must you be so good.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
So who would you guys say is your favorite Imperial Admiral? I've always been something of a Muller man myself but then again Oberstein is also very awesome.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Honest Ray posted:

So who would you guys say is your favorite Imperial Admiral? I've always been something of a Muller man myself but then again Oberstein is also very awesome.

J.C. PAUL VON OBERSTEIN~! was never an Admiral! :eng101:

Bittenfeld is my second favorite Imperial Admiral. All the others are tied. Even Mecklinger and his bitch haircut.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 29, 2008

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Honest Ray posted:

Reuntal was pretty much the best, even if he did let the Phezzan manipulations basically drat him. Plus Norio Wakamoto doing his voice :aaa:

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Definitely Fahrenheit no but really Reuental.

Kircheis second place, assuming he was an admiral at some point which I don't recall.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Reuental is the only real choice here.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Ruental is my favorite character, so who else can I say?

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Daryl Surat posted:

J.C. PAUL VON OBERSTEIN~! was never an Admiral! :eng101:

Bittenfeld is my second favorite Imperial Admiral. All the others are tied. Even Mecklinger and his bitch haircut.

Oberstein's rank was Fleet Admiral, right? I mean, I know he wasn't out there making miracles happen but he did his thing and that thing was badass.

On a side note, as I watched the show everytime someone went within range of Thor's Hammer I would end up swearing at my monitor. What is wrong with these people?

Honest Ray fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 29, 2008

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Honest Ray posted:

Oberstein's rank was Fleet Admiral, right? I mean, I know he wasn't out there making miracles happen but he did his thing and that thing was badass.

I know Wikipedia says he was a Fleet Admiral, but I'm pretty sure that's inaccurate. Vice Admiral is closer to what I remember his rank being before officially becoming the HR Director of the Neureich, but I also haven't rewatched this series in a very long time. Generally when someone thinks of "the Imperial Admirals" they think of someone that was in the Admiralty proper with a flagship in command of a fleet.

There is no love in the hood for August Samuel Wahlen. Let's all give Wahlen a hand, guys!

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I believe Oberstein was Reinhard's chief of staff, which probably meant that he was some kind of admiral.

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wahlen is bitchin'. Also Bittenfeld because he is not a nice person but has amazing characterization. Fahrenheit was the bishiest though :3:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I liked Mittermeyer the best. He's about the most stand-up, honorable man in the whole galaxy. Pretty sure he was the one who executed a couple of his own soldiers who raped a woman.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Wahlen was pretty badass. "I can't lose what I already lost." Also I did enjoy Bittenfeld just being a crazy sumbitch all the time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Reuenthal is the obvious choice, even though he had an end that should not have been.

Was Kesler technically an admiral? I know he was in charge of the Military Police, but I can't recall his actual rank. He won me over during the fire rescue.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
So I just started watching this, and drat me for taking this long. It really is a great show with an excellent cast.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Regarding Kesler and Oberstein, yes, they were both admirals. Oberstein was the Chief Minister of Military Affairs but had the military rank of Fleet Admiral, which put him on equal footing with Reuental/Mittermeyer. He didn't have any ships under his command, obviously, and was typically referred to by his ministerial title, but he was still a fleet admiral. A somewhat easy telling point is that he gets to wear a cape. In LOGH if you see an Imperial officer with a cape on, it means he is a fleet admiral (recall Muckenberger etc from early on in the show).

Kesler was a high admiral and also the head of the military police (as well as in charge of the defense of Odin at one point - he was a badass for being able to be in charge of so much poo poo at the same time). Recall the meeting that took place when Oberstein invited Lang - it was for High Admirals and up only. Reuental got megapissed that Lang was there and told him to get out, but Oberstein, Kesler, etc. were all OK.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My school's security software cuts off internet access if you run a BitTorrent client, does Central Anime have their subs on an IRC channel or something? I've seen the first few episodes before and now suddenly have an urge to watch the whole thing.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Just watched the first 2 episodes and I have to say, I'm hooked. Its interesting that its anime but by watching it you can tell that its not very anime at all. But I must know before advancing if this is going to turn into a Death Note/Code Geass with JUST AS PLANNED moments, because it seems that there is a Light v. L thing going on here with Golden Boy and Yang.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

bondster posted:

Just watched the first 2 episodes and I have to say, I'm hooked. Its interesting that its anime but by watching it you can tell that its not very anime at all. But I must know before advancing if this is going to turn into a Death Note/Code Geass with JUST AS PLANNED moments, because it seems that there is a Light v. L thing going on here with Golden Boy and Yang.

I don't know, I'd say the series is VERY "anime", and maybe you're just too used to shows from 2000+.

Glad you seem to enjoy it, though.

Ever Disappointing fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 3, 2008

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005

bondster posted:

Agreed Tir, it is very "anime", just that the story is alot stronger then normal since they are taking it directly from the (from what I've heard) very good novels. Which isn't usually the case. Also this is nothing like Death Note/Code Geass. Just relax bondster and enjoy the awesomeness you're about to witness.

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bondster posted:

It's a lot like that except they never yell JUST AS PLANNED at each other and their plans often go wrong and they rarely have counter-plans pre-made but instead make them up on the fly (except that battles take place over days), often taking heavy casualties while they try and rearrange their forces to make up for some critical error or unexpected event, and also lots of characters just flat out die for all kinds of reasons, sometimes even just dumb luck.

So actually it's nothing like that.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

bondster posted:

Just watched the first 2 episodes and I have to say, I'm hooked. Its interesting that its anime but by watching it you can tell that its not very anime at all.

By the definition of "anime" you are apparently using, that is a very good thing. They don't make shows like this anymore.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Stickying for a few days because, you know, what the hell. We can have two stickied threads telling people to watch LOGH. Sure, maybe it IS pushing something I like a bit too much but more people need to watch this poo poo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I approve! We should just make a new thread while we're at it. The first post, while informative, lacks images and such.

SaxPenguin posted:

My school's security software cuts off internet access if you run a BitTorrent client, does Central Anime have their subs on an IRC channel or something? I've seen the first few episodes before and now suddenly have an urge to watch the whole thing.
Pretty sure they don't, unfortunately.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hey, I've been meaning to ask, now that this thread is seeing a bit more activity again: has anyone in here seen Heroic Age? I really liked it. The space battles pretty blatantly take a lot of inspiration from LOGH. And while I think it's aimed at a slightly younger audience, the execution of thousands of starships blowing each other to hell is done with the benefit of modern animation techniques and it's just great.

It still has strategy and politics, but as I said it is a little simpler, and more sci-fi. It has aliens, telepathy, Godzilla/giant robot-type combat, and more of that side of things, so it's not a complete analog. But I recommend it, anyway. It's a 1-season show, the plot is good and ends satisfactorily.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Hey, I've been meaning to ask, now that this thread is seeing a bit more activity again: has anyone in here seen Heroic Age? I really liked it. The space battles pretty blatantly take a lot of inspiration from LOGH. And while I think it's aimed at a slightly younger audience, the execution of thousands of starships blowing each other to hell is done with the benefit of modern animation techniques and it's just great.

It still has strategy and politics, but as I said it is a little simpler, and more sci-fi. It has aliens, telepathy, Godzilla/giant robot-type combat, and more of that side of things, so it's not a complete analog. But I recommend it, anyway. It's a 1-season show, the plot is good and ends satisfactorily.

Heroic Age I thought was absolutely terrible. The artist is that guy who did SEED's art, where every character looks absolutely the same except with different hair (honestly, try covering their hair up or switching faces/ hair, they're the SAME CHARACTERS ad infinitum, regardless of gender), plus some of the retarded plot stuff (Glowing magical god dudes told us to commit genocide on every other species in the universe just because it's what we need to do. Well, let's hop to that then) along with being plain dull. I could only manage through like 6 episodes.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 3, 2008

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I should've known there's a reason I've never seen it talked about anywhere. :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So I'm guessing I'm not the only one in this thread looking forward to Tytania and praying to Odin that it doesn't suck. The spirit of LoGH had better live on in that project :argh:. At least the trailer looks totally excellent.

Also seconding the need for another thread, or at least for Zorak to totally hijack the OP and make it a bit better. The OP in no way prepares a new viewer for the sprawling prospect of watching LoGH.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I think the OP is pretty fair, and posting a new thread would be criminal, looking at how old this one is. If you think you can do a better job with the OP, post one in here and maybe I'll put it in it or something if it's good.

Also, I got around to adding a LOGH entry to the ADTRWiki, if you want to go and contribute.

Rommelous
Jun 28, 2008

FA-BU-LOUS

Nate RFB posted:

I approve! We should just make a new thread while we're at it. The first post, while informative, lacks images and such.
Pretty sure they don't, unfortunately.

They DO have a website, and I'm asking them if I can post DDL uploads of their subs for people who can't use torrents. I don't think anyone should miss this show (and I'm not even very far in).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

flamechocobo posted:

They DO have a website, and I'm asking them if I can post DDL uploads of their subs for people who can't use torrents. I don't think anyone should miss this show (and I'm not even very far in).
It's up to Zorak, but if you're willing to host them yourself that's mighty generous of you. But, how in the world would you have the bandwidth to host 110+ episodes?

Rommelous
Jun 28, 2008

FA-BU-LOUS

Nate RFB posted:

It's up to Zorak, but if you're willing to host them yourself that's mighty generous of you. But, how in the world would you have the bandwidth to host 110+ episodes?

Well, I was thinking of putting them up on Megaupload. They don't seem to particularly care too much (that's where I got Monster), and if they go down I can put them back up.

EDIT: There ARE some DDL websites that have LOGH up (the CA version), but they have some pretty questionable content on the rest of their websites, legally and otherwise.

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SpaceDrake posted:

So I'm guessing I'm not the only one in this thread looking forward to Tytania and praying to Odin that it doesn't suck. The spirit of LoGH had better live on in that project :argh:. At least the trailer looks totally excellent.

Some of the character designs bugged me a little, and the scenes with the ships didn't look as good as LOGH, but those are really just visual quibbles. I'm sure it'll be quite watchable at worst.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I managed to find a site with all 110 episodes on MegaUpload, but unfortunately they have a lot of series that are available on DVD here in America too, and I'd imagine Central Anime probably didn't approve of the uploads either. I could do a post with all the links to the episodes if the mods were fine with it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

SaxPenguin posted:

I managed to find a site with all 110 episodes on MegaUpload, but unfortunately they have a lot of series that are available on DVD here in America too, and I'd imagine Central Anime probably didn't approve of the uploads either. I could do a post with all the links to the episodes if the mods were fine with it.

Go ahead, if you can get the links together its fine.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Zorak posted:

Go ahead, if you can get the links together its fine.

The only problem is they have the URL to the site in the description box, which I just noticed. If it's still fine I'll edit it into this post sometime soon. EDIT: I'll just remove it if I get a no.

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9
Episode 10
Episode 11
Episode 12
Episode 13
Episode 14
Episode 15
Episode 16
Episode 17
Episode 18
Episode 19
Episode 20

To Be Continued once I'm done doing important stuff...

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 4, 2008

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

While this topic has everyone's attention, does anyone happen to remember what episode was it where they had a battle set to the entirety of Boléro? I think it was some action around Iserlohn.

That was absolutely beautiful, but I don't even have LOGH on my hard drive anymore, and I don't want to download a hundred episodes again just to look for it.

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Eiba posted:

While this topic has everyone's attention, does anyone happen to remember what episode was it where they had a battle set to the entirety of Boléro? I think it was some action around Iserlohn.

That was absolutely beautiful, but I don't even have LOGH on my hard drive anymore, and I don't want to download a hundred episodes again just to look for it.

Almost all of the LOGH battles are uploaded on Youtube. Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!

Zorak posted:

Stickying for a few days because, you know, what the hell. We can have two stickied threads telling people to watch LOGH. Sure, maybe it IS pushing something I like a bit too much but more people need to watch this poo poo.

Oh fine, I'll watch the drat thing :). Downlaoded it a while ago, watched the first ep, and got a bit overwhelmed, but I'll go ahead and jump back on, why not.

Just give me a day or so to recover from School Days, just finished it tonight...