Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

LividLiquid posted:

For what it's worth, I did. Several times. And that Wes would be back.

I heard something about a certain Werewolf showing up too, and instantly tripling the awesome.

Also, what the gently caress?

imdb.com posted:

In the movie Mallrats, the studio had prepared to replace Jason Mewes with Seth Green to play the character of Jay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yeah. Mewes had to audition to play himself. Seth was torn, wanting a big role but not wanting to step on any toes. He liked Clerks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stonefish posted:

Also, what the gently caress?

I can actually see that. It would obviously be different but Green can bring that kind of manic energy to a role.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aatrek posted:

I never heard that.

There were some basic points that Joss had laid out for Season 6. Fred and Illyria, Oz coming back to train Nina and Wes coming back. There was other stuff but I forget what else right now.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

So what do you all think is going to happen after Gunn impaled Angel with a sword and used that thing to make all his old wounds reappear? I seriously doubt Angel is going to survive that.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Two options.

A) Gunn bites Angel to vampire him again, saying something like, 'If I have to be a vampire, you do too'. The status quo is restored, at least as far as Angel goes. Maybe he'll have a soul permanently this time too, meaning that he can have sex with Buffy without losing his soul. Who knows.

B) Angel dies. The Senior Partners decide that Angel can't die, so they bring him back (or refuse to let him die). Alternately, Angel dies and goes to Hell, but since they're in Hell, it's no big whoop.

Honestly, Angel really needs to start picking up as a series. I mean, it's O.K., but I really need something stellar to justify continuing reading it.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Spaceboy posted:

B) Angel dies. The Senior Partners decide that Angel can't die, so they bring him back (or refuse to let him die). Alternately, Angel dies and goes to Hell, but since they're in Hell, it's no big whoop.

Where's he gonna go? Detroit?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Nope, just stay in L.A., because L.A. = Hell right now anyway. So he'll die, open his eyes and be right where he died.

Super duper bonus points to me if Holland Manners shows up to say something snarky.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

Spaceboy posted:

Nope, just stay in L.A., because L.A. = Hell right now anyway. So he'll die, open his eyes and be right where he died.

Super duper bonus points to me if Holland Manners shows up to say something snarky.

I think that Psimitry's post was a joke. :geno:

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Spaceboy posted:

Honestly, Angel really needs to start picking up as a series. I mean, it's O.K., but I really need something stellar to justify continuing reading it.

What would be interesting would be if Angel dies and the Senior Partners send him out of Hell and back to the real world as a result. It would be like double the torture because they have not only deprived him of any chance he might have to save L.A. from Hell, but it would deprive him of his son and his friends as well. Although I have no idea what direction they would go after that. Maybe have Angel team up with whoever that was that the fish sent the mental message to to uncover what is going on with the L.A. cover up as means of possibly getting back to the city? And by the way, who is that girl that the fish sent the message to? Have we seen her before? I asked if she might be the psycho slayer from season 5 in the rehab place, but I didn't get any speculation back on that.

As far as it picking up, I think the series is pretty good so far (save the artwork in some places, but I can forgive that since, hey, I'm getting more Angel), but there are several things that they need to get to addressing. Specifically, what Wolfram and Hart's grand plan is and what the deal is behind the cover up of L.A. going to Hell.

Malloci
Oct 9, 2006

by Ozma
I loved watching Angel, it still is one of my favorite shows that I could watch over and over. When it ended I was pretty upset at first, I wanted resolution or something more.

Personally, after reading the spoilers of what happens in the comics, that sounds gay as hell and I am more than fine with how the show ended. Because if they pulled that crap on TV I probably would have stopped watching.

I felt they reached into each and every character and showed us who they really were, to do the stuff they are doing in those comics as you say, just sounds like they are just pulling bullshit out of a hat just to have something to write about.

Snord
Mar 5, 2002

We hugged it out, but I was still a little angry.
In Dr. Horrible news, the soundtrack is now up on iTunes.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Snord posted:

In Dr. Horrible news, the soundtrack is now up on iTunes.

Also in Dr. Horrible news it is the best thing I have watched in forever and Oh how I would pay for more episodes. Also The end of act three made me so so so sad.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump
Hey, guys, not to interrupt the thread being dead, but the next Angel: After The Fall will be released in late October, so get comatose for 45-ish days. Talk about a loving cliffhanger.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Those bastards!

At least we have a Spike: After the Fall before then, right?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Alexandr posted:

Hey, guys, not to interrupt the thread being dead, but the next Angel: After The Fall will be released in late October, so get comatose for 45-ish days. Talk about a loving cliffhanger.

Oh hell. I just read it, wow. It almost felt like I was watching the show again, the dialogue and plotting was spot on. Too bad about the art... I think this was the first issue where it really bothered me, when one character made their first appearance, just so badly, badly drawn that it took me out and made me go, huhh?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

hope and vaseline posted:

Oh hell. I just read it, wow. It almost felt like I was watching the show again, the dialogue and plotting was spot on. Too bad about the art... I think this was the first issue where it really bothered me, when one character made their first appearance, just so badly, badly drawn that it took me out and made me go, huhh?

I keep hearing bad things about the art. Anyone got an example screenshot/scan they could post?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

hope and vaseline posted:

Okay that was awesome. Finally, we get some more details on Wolfram and Hart's plan for Angel, plans that were apparently created way back when they first signed up for the job in Season Five. And it was nice to see Cordy again, although I agree with whoever said it before, the deaths of several characters have kinda been negated by After the Fall. Personally I'm waiting for Doyle to show up.

As for the artwork, I agree that it was atrocious where we first see Cordelia, but I thought that at others times the artwork was great. They kind of do a hit and miss on the artwork, like every page is a 50/50 chance. Oh, and the artists doing the issues have changed a couple times, so asking for an example is kind of a loaded question. The look of the comic in Issue #1 is different from the look of Issue #12.

Gordon Shumway fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 6, 2008

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
In Buffy Season 8 news: nothing much happens this issue :argh:. Looking forward to the conclusion though, although it seems like they have a lot to get through in one issue. Here are a couple of ways they could take the story that might be interesting but that they probably won't do:
- Fray and/or Harth come back to the present
- Present Willow dies and is replaced in the present by Future Willow

And here's what I'm hoping they won't do, but they might:
- Buffy returns to the past without ever meeting or finding out about Future Willow. Hopefully the cover for the next issue indicates that this won't happen, and it drat well better not because it would be really unsatisfying.
- Fray dies. I'd rather she stay alive in the hopes of seeing more of her own series some day, because it was really good.

On a side note, what did Gunther say the "madwoman"'s name was just after we cut away in the last issue? Obviously it wasn't "Willow" since Buffy is still clueless about it. Maybe just "I don't know"?

Also, because I and other people apparently found this confusing/missed it:
The last panel featuring Gunther isn't just showing the vampires leaving from a weird perspective, it's some (other) vampires swimming up to ambush him from below.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 6, 2008

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

ShardPhoenix posted:

Also, because I and other people apparently found this confusing/missed it:
The last panel featuring Gunther isn't just showing the vampires leaving from a weird perspective, it's some (other) vampires swimming up to ambush him from below.

I liked the decorations he had on the wall. I don't think he's got a problem.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

Anyone else catch the Doyle coming soon tidbit on that one panel?

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
The loving what where?

Which comic?

finna udders
Jan 28, 2005

mu
This panel from After the Fall #12, presumably.

Even when it's a bit confusing, ugly and mediocre, I'm enjoying After The Fall more than Buffy S8 at this point because the latter feels too much like weird erotic fanfiction pulled off some livejournal community.

finna udders fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 7, 2008

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Rhyno posted:

There were some basic points that Joss had laid out for Season 6. Fred and Illyria, Oz coming back to train Nina and Wes coming back. There was other stuff but I forget what else right now.

Yeah but that was all pre-pre-pre-production spit balling. Not even to the level of Xander having Ben's role in season 5. Seth Green hadn't even been asked if was interested in doing it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Slightly off topic, but a full trailer is up for Repo: The Genetic Opera, a horror-sci-fi-musical starring Anthony Stewart Head (Giles from Buffy). It pretty much looks like "Hot Topic Musical," but any Buffy fans know Tony Head can really sing, and the trailer features him pretty prominently. I've actually been intrigued by this movie for a while, and it looks like it's finally coming out in November.

http://www.repo-opera.com (There is an option to stream the trailer once the site loads.)

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Giles in a main role? Cool.
Paris Hilton in a main role? Giles must be getting paid for this :)

That website is weird as gently caress. I'll skip the trailer.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
Well Paris getting the role was more of a "let's see if she'll take the role of a coked vapid whore who does nothing but spend her father's money and not see the irony." Giles isn't even the end of it though, it also has Ogre from Skinny Puppy, and for some unknown reason Sarah Paulson. As in Andrew Lloyd Weber's ex-wife, every female lead Weber ever wrote had me in mind, Sarah Paulson.

I want to like it since some of the songs do sound really good, but the writer/director is a giant self-inserting douche nozzle and the acting/singing from the guy who plays Paris and Ogre's brother is the first performance in a movie I've actively cringed at.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Gassire posted:

Well Paris getting the role was more of a "let's see if she'll take the role of a coked vapid whore who does nothing but spend her father's money and not see the irony." Giles isn't even the end of it though, it also has Ogre from Skinny Puppy, and for some unknown reason Sarah Paulson. As in Andrew Lloyd Weber's ex-wife, every female lead Weber ever wrote had me in mind, Sarah Paulson.

You mean Sarah Brightman. Sarah Paulson is an actress best known for playing Harriet Hayes on Studio 60 and Miss Isringhausen on Deadwood.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Yeah, that's who I meant. All these drat white people look alike to me.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Gassire, Sarah Paulson is the woman in your avatar. Sarah Brightman is the woman in Big Bad Voodoo Lou's avatar.

No need to thank me.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

rejutka posted:

Gassire, Sarah Paulson is the woman in your avatar. Sarah Brightman is the woman in Big Bad Voodoo Lou's avatar.

No need to thank me.
Irish humour is the worst humour

for a porkchop
Jan 10, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

You mean Sarah Brightman. Sarah Paulson is an actress best known for playing Harriet Hayes on Studio 60 and Miss Isringhausen on Deadwood.

Sarah Paulson is also the Hologram of Exposition in Serenity.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Soothing Vapors posted:

Irish humour is the worst humour

Don't make me use the word Randomities in a sentence! :colbert:

How's the Matlock thing going, by the way?

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Going through Buffy again, I forgot how awesome The Zeppo was. Just watching Xander walk off-screen with that big grin on his face at the end of the episode makes me feel all :c00l: inside.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

So I just saw that Joss is apparently none too happy with some of the things people were coming up with for Dollhouse:

TV.com posted:

Joss Whedon knows quality work when he sees it, and he should. As the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, and Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog, Whedon is revered as a god in some of the geekier circles.

So when Joss thinks its time to stop production on a show because he doesn't feel its going as well as it should, it's time to stop production. Whedon has put his anticipated new show Dollhouse on hold, believing that some of the scripts just aren't Whedon-worthy, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Joss has apparently been so busy in the director's chair, that he hasn't been able to work on the show's upcoming scripts. So when he finally had a chance to see upcoming scripts, he decided to slow things down a bit to do some rewrites. Production is due to start up again in late September, but since the drama is a midseason entry, Dollhouse is comfortably ahead of schedule.

I think it's great that he's determined to not let the show suffer any mediocrity. Apart from Lost, Battlestar Galactica, and Journeyman (which was sadly cancelled :argh: ), we seem to be getting a plethora of mediocre sci-fi lately.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
I like Buffy and Angel (haven't seen Firefly yet), but the whole concept of Dollhouse sounds kind of creepy/weird/unappealing to me. Plus, I don't like Eliza Dushku quite as much as some people. I'll still give it a chance though.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Gordon Shumway posted:

So I just saw that Joss is apparently none too happy with some of the things people were coming up with for Dollhouse:

Holy crap. I take this as both good and bad. Good that Whedon wants the show to measure up to his standards, but bad that things like this usually lead to bad press and in the case of Fox, early cancellation.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
So has it been clearly established yet whether Buffy or Faith is the "true" Slayer, or did the mass Slayerization spell throw all that out the window?

Also, I like to think The First Evil's plan all along was to get Willow to perform the mass Slayerization spell, which It allowed, by finding the Scythe. Pretty obvious aid to the good guys there, right? For further evidence, see: Caleb's sudden pussification; Ubervamps morph into retarded goblins, get slaughtered.

With all the remaining Potentials Slayerized, it's possible the Slayer line dies out with the last Slayer's death... one can assume such a spell might mess up the other spell, and end it.

The First has nothing but time, so why not wait a generation for the final victory? Whatever that is -- if one assumes this thing is really what it says it is, which is debatable. Regardless, it could easily be argued The First goaded the Scooby gang into acting rashly and activating all the Potentials. So, ha-ha Buffy!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redshirt posted:

So has it been clearly established yet whether Buffy or Faith is the "true" Slayer, or did the mass Slayerization spell throw all that out the window?

Also, I like to think The First Evil's plan all along was to get Willow to perform the mass Slayerization spell, which It allowed, by finding the Scythe. Pretty obvious aid to the good guys there, right? For further evidence, see: Caleb's sudden pussification; Ubervamps morph into retarded goblins, get slaughtered.

With all the remaining Potentials Slayerized, it's possible the Slayer line dies out with the last Slayer's death... one can assume such a spell might mess up the other spell, and end it.

The First has nothing but time, so why not wait a generation for the final victory? Whatever that is -- if one assumes this thing is really what it says it is, which is debatable. Regardless, it could easily be argued The First goaded the Scooby gang into acting rashly and activating all the Potentials. So, ha-ha Buffy!

What about Fray, then? Granted I haven't read it yet, but isn't it somewhat in canon, written by Whedon himself, and all about a Slayer in the future, armed with the same scythe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Fray is the first slayer called in 250 years. I suppose Willow tapped out all the magic and it took time to recover :)

• Locked thread