Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Whitefish posted:

So can you buy Peruvian plug adaptors out there or are they hard to come by?

I didn't look when I was down there, but there were Radio Shacks and department stores in every city, not to mention the numerous travel/tourism agencies, so I'd be willing to bet that they're not hard to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roflcopter thief
Nov 22, 2007
¿por que no te callas?
Any questions about Brazil? I am currently living in Fortaleza, Ceara. I have been to Manaus/Amazonas, Florianopolis, Curitiba, and Rio as well.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

roflcopter thief posted:

Any questions about Brazil? I am currently living in Fortaleza, Ceara. I have been to Manaus/Amazonas, Florianopolis, Curitiba, and Rio as well.

I am eagerly awaiting DustingDuvet's specific trip report from Salvador, but I would settle for general advice interacting with Brazilians as an American. What are some common social mistakes? I have some rudimentary Portuguese, so I definitely will attempt to speak. I also am Asian and people abroad always seemed stunned that I could be both. But of course Brazil is very diverse.

JohnnyGuadalupe
Apr 25, 2008

CatchrNdRy posted:

I am eagerly awaiting DustingDuvet's specific trip report from Salvador, but I would settle for general advice interacting with Brazilians as an American. What are some common social mistakes? I have some rudimentary Portuguese, so I definitely will attempt to speak. I also am Asian and people abroad always seemed stunned that I could be both. But of course Brazil is very diverse.

After going to Sao Paolo I learned that being Japanese and Brazilian at the same time is really common. The Japanese section of the town even has street signs, prices and menus in both languages.

Communicating with Brazilians should not be so tough. I traveled through there for about three months using Spanish to communicate. Everyone was able to understand if given enough time. Most people are not surprised by tourists and are actually really friendly to them. If you know a little bit they will help you a lot. My biggest problem was that Brazilian people would constantly start taking to us on the bus, metro or the beach and it seemed that the realization that I spoke no Portuguese did not dissuade them.

If anything learn to be direct when you ask a question, be specific and repeat yourself. Brazilians can take forever to give you an address, especially if they are a group of them and they start arguing, not realizing you are walking away looking for someone else to ask.

Insonix
Dec 5, 2007

DON'T BET ON ME.
Being a Paraguayan Goon, I must also ask what tourists finds interesting in Paraguay.

Paraguay is indeed a fun country, specially if you are American, because everything here is just insanely cheap for you guys. I believe Asuncion is the cheapest capital in the world. Google it if you don't believe it.

I traveled a lot in the past, went to Puerto Rico, Miami, Uruguay, USA, Brazil, and I just love my country. But to really enjoy Paraguay, you must know someone here, that shows you around. I just believe is a waste of time to come here alone and try to find something interesting to do by yourself.

Other countries like Argentina and Brazil are huge, I would start with one of those my travel, and end the travel with the other.

I must add, that every American that comes to Paraguay, with the right people to guide them, just LOVE it here, and I've seen people literally cry before getting on the plane to the states.

Insonix fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 25, 2008

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Paraguay is one of the most interesting places to visit, Asuncion is really nice and calm for a big city. The countryside is awesome and Ciudad Del Este it's a place from another planet.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Bachaao posted:

The first time I went to the Amazon was through USFQ to the Tiputini station. The second time, though I went to a pretty reputable ecolodge with a great guide, simply couldn't compare. If I ever go back, I'm definitely going to try to go to Tiputini... though I've heard that it's rather difficult and quite expensive if you aren't formally associated with USFQ. Out of curiosity, which home university do you go to?

I did it through USFQ as well. The whole thing was a study abroad program at Michigan State University. When did you go to USFQ, and what program were you in to go there?

Perturbed Owl
May 6, 2003

Eucibius posted:

I did it through USFQ as well. The whole thing was a study abroad program at Michigan State University. When did you go to USFQ, and what program were you in to go there?
I was at USFQ during the summer of 2006 with Georgetown's study abroad program. It was a solid program and if anyone has a chance to study abroad at USFQ, I recommend it... it's a pretty nice university and a beautiful campus. On another note, I'm in Lima until Thursday morning, so if any backpacker goons want to hang out, just shoot me a PM and perhaps we can meet up.

September
Sep 27, 2007
Leaving for Peru this Wednesday. I'm pumped!

I have read through the posts here and have an idea of things to do. Now I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on things to BUY. I have read that they have great Alpaca wool... great for sweating my balls off here in Texas. I've also heard they have good silver and cool hats (I think they might be bowler hats).

What are other quintessential (or cheap) Peruvian goods to watch for?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

September posted:

Leaving for Peru this Wednesday. I'm pumped!

I have read through the posts here and have an idea of things to do. Now I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on things to BUY. I have read that they have great Alpaca wool... great for sweating my balls off here in Texas. I've also heard they have good silver and cool hats (I think they might be bowler hats).

What are other quintessential (or cheap) Peruvian goods to watch for?

Pisco.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.
Two questions about transport in Peru:

1. We´re planning on taking the Andean Explorer train from Puno to Cuzco if possible. It says on the terms and conditions that there´s a 5kg baggage allowance in the carriage. Will we be able to check luggage though (we have two 15kg bags each)? We couldn´t find any mention of it on the website. Also, is it safe to do so?

2. After doing the Inca Trail we want to get back towards Lima. Ideally we want to go to Nazca. It looks like Cuzco-Lima busses all go via Abancay and Nazca, and also that Cuzco to Lima will take about 11 hours. Do you think it will be possible to buy a Lima-Nazca bus ticket? Also, is that route safe? We´ve heard bad things about night busses, but it looks like we´d need to take one on that route. Also, we´ve heard that the roads coming out of Cuzco are horrible and a lot of people get sick on them. So does taking this bus trip sound like an insane plan? Otherwise we´ll have to fly back to Lima and then bus down the coast to Ica/Nazca which will be less convenient and more expensive.

Perturbed Owl
May 6, 2003

I'm thinking about going to Brazil to work on my Portuguese over winter break, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on finding cheap flights to the country from the US (leaving from the DC area). I'm not tied down to any city in particular for my arrival, except for those that people think would be preferable for taking some classes/homestays/private lessons. I should have a decently elementary grasp of the language by then so bus travel wouldn't be a problem either... as long as it's not for, say, three days.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

CatchrNdRy posted:

I apologize for taking so much time to get back to you about Salvador. I just had a ton of fun my last weeks in Brazil and couldn't be bothered to spend any more time on the internet than needed.

On my flight from Rio to Salvador I met a few kind businessmen who wrote every possible tourist attraction in or around Salvador. They even drove me from the airport to my hostel which was far. I'll say it now; I encountered more friendly people in Salvador then the others places I visited (not many). But anyways, I still have the napkin though its all ripped and difficult to read. But everything I am going to tell you is from my experiences and from the napkin.

As a tourist, you will either want to stay in Barra (pronounced Baja) or Pelourinho. Baja is the wealthy area where most foreigners stay. Pelourinho is the historic center. I stayed in both areas. Barra was nice because its more relaxed and safe, well kept, has great restaurants, and some decent bars and clubs. Pelourinho was also nice because its so lively. One night I walked out of my hostel on a tuesday and did not return until much later because I found a free jazz concert, some strange yet entertaining live music in the center, and a samba band marching through the streets. Its a bit dodgy at night though.

The following are some areas of interest to visit.

-Pelourinho, Mercado Modelo (go down to the basement where they stored the slaves), Afro Brazilian museum, Folkloric ballet show at night
-Cidade Baixa (the Lower City)
-Barra & Farol da Barra
-Campo Grande
-Bonfin
-"Wet'n' Wild" Water Park

-Ribiero: Ribeira has a long stretch of beach and barracas (simple little bars and restaurants). Its perfect for a long walk around the neighborhood and a visit to one of the famous ice cream parlors with lots of unique flavors.

Outside of Salvador you have:

-Morro De Sao Paulo
-Parai do Forte
-Itaparica
-Chapada Diamintina
-Jacobina

One of my favorite days was when I walked away from Pelorinho towards the downtown area and just explored. It felt more "authentic" than any other area I visited in Salvador because normal people were going about their daily business. I got a far better feel for Salvador just walking around and getting lost than the other places.

For hostels, the only place I would absolutely reccomend you stay is
http://www.barraguesthouse.com/ The hostel has a small and friendly atmosphere with a helpful owner. You need to book in advance as its always full. I could tell you the other hostels I stayed but they were nothing special and I am sure you could find ones yourself that are just as good.

As for nightlife, either party in an expensive club (bring ID, shoes, long pants) or in Pelourinho.

P.S. That really good song you will hear on the radio all the time is called Mina Do Condominio by Seu Jorge...i have been listening to it non stop.

R2ICustomerSupport fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 9, 2008

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

Whitefish posted:

:words:

I've never been to Cuzco or Nazca, but I have spent a lot of time in Peru and the buses are not safe. Every single week there are a number of accidents, often times involving many dead. If you don't have any worries about the bus crashing, robberies are also somewhat common, though moreso it seems in the jungle/mountains than on the coast. The roads in Peru are pretty bad in spots, but they're doing a lot of work these days on getting them up to snuff.

I'd personally stick to air travel, it's really not that expensive if you buy your tickets in Peru. Round trip from Lima to Cuzco run between $115 - $130 through LAN, but you have to buy them at the LAN offices in Lima.

As for the train thing, you should be able to check bags, and it should be safe. If you can't you can always leave some of your luggage at your hotel in Cuzco.

billy cuts fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 14, 2008

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

Thanks for the advice on the busses but I´m going to ignore it. From what I´ve heard from fellow travellers here, there are a lot of crashes and robberies on busses, but these tend to be restricted to the cheaper bus lines. The top quality buslines (those tending to be used by tourists) very rarely have problems and are generally considered to be the best way to travel around the country. I´ve met uncountably many people here who have used decent busses and haven´t had any problems, and my guidebook also recommends using them.

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord
Even the high-class bus lines have problems. They are very, very bad about upkeep on their vehicles -- i.e. brake replacement and there is little to no governmental oversight. But yeah, you're right, they do crash less often, although I'm pretty sure they are robbed at about the same rate, at least in the upper Amazon.

I've spent a little over 9 months in Peru, however I don't do the tourist thing (doing research in the Amazon) so I don't have personal experience with any of the buses, just from what I've heard and read in newspapers there. When I do need to travel on the roads I usually just get a private car and driver, but that gets pretty expensive.

Anyway, good luck with your trip. If you have any other questions about Peru, ask away.

billy cuts fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 14, 2008

Reagan Youth
Jul 15, 2008

We are the sons of Reagan ...Heil!
Gonna kill us some pagans ...Heil!
I'm going to La paz, and eventually Villa Tunari, which is near Cochabamba, for about 4 months, but the schedule is also open to change. does anyone have any general recs/advice for Bolivia?

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Reagan Youth posted:

I'm going to La paz, and eventually Villa Tunari, which is near Cochabamba, for about 4 months, but the schedule is also open to change. does anyone have any general recs/advice for Bolivia?

I went back in 2005 and really enjoyed myself. I found Bolivia to be a really unique country and had the most "Andean feel" out of the other Andean countries. It's also so drat cheap there in comparison that you will feel like a king. You can visit the Amazon for cheap, go trekking in the Andes, etc.

Bolivia has a lot of unique food/drink and you should try it.

-Charque kan - llama jerky
-Silpancho - beef pounded to a thin, plate-sized patty, served on a bed of rice and potatoes, with a fried egg on top
-Anticucho - Beef hearts grilled on a skewer, served with potatoes and a spicy corn sauce
-Salchipapa - Thinly sliced sausage fried with potatoes
-Choripan - Chorizo (spicy sausage) sandwich, served with grilled onions and lots of sauce
-Salteña - A baked bun filled with meat and potatoes in a slightly sweet or spicy sauce
-llama/alpaca steak
-cuy- guinea pig
-chicha- traditional alcoholic drink
-mate de coca
-coca leaves

There is also lots to do and see in La Paz.

-Go to a Peña for some live traditional music

-See some chula wrestling/lucha libre

-See a live soccer match

-Bike down the death road from La Paz to Coroico

-Sagarnaga: the backpacker street with hostels, tour agencies, and crafts

-Witches' Market: It has become pretty touristy but you can find some interesting things like llama fetus's.

-Calle Jaen: Lots of beautiful colonial buildings ( also has the Museo de Instrumentos Musicales de Bolivia)

-Plaza Murillo- A plaza with all the government buildings

-Valle de La Luna- moon like scenery

-Visit El Alto for the humongous thursday/sunday market where you can find clothes worn 20 years ago, antiques, everyday goods, etc.

Coca Museum- This was pretty interesting as it explains the history of the coca leaf, which is really popular in the Andes

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

billy cuts posted:

Even the high-class bus lines have problems. They are very, very bad about upkeep on their vehicles -- i.e. brake replacement and there is little to no governmental oversight. But yeah, you're right, they do crash less often, although I'm pretty sure they are robbed at about the same rate, at least in the upper Amazon.

I've spent a little over 9 months in Peru, however I don't do the tourist thing (doing research in the Amazon) so I don't have personal experience with any of the buses, just from what I've heard and read in newspapers there. When I do need to travel on the roads I usually just get a private car and driver, but that gets pretty expensive.

Anyway, good luck with your trip. If you have any other questions about Peru, ask away.

I imagine busses are worse in the amazon and the roads less travelled. The gringo trail in the south seems well established and the better companies (e.g. Cruz Del Sur) rarely have problems from what I can ascertain. Our journey from Cusco to Nasca felt safe because the bus went extremely slowly around every bend (we were overtaken by all of the local busses which were going significantly faster). I admit I was concerned about robbery on the night journey but I´ve been told that Cruz Del Sur is rarely targeted anyway.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

I have been watching the Colombian news in English the past month and figured I would pass it on.

http://www.canalrcn.com/newsinenglish/

R2ICustomerSupport fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 3, 2008

Subotai
Jan 24, 2004

After reading a bunch of things about the crime in Brazil (especially Sao Paulo), it sounds like you will be robbed and kidnapped the moment you set foot in the city. Is the crime really that bad? Is it fairly safe for tourists or tour groups?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

DustingDuvet posted:

I apologize for taking so much time to get back to you about Salvador. I just had a ton of fun my last weeks in Brazil and couldn't be bothered to spend any more time on the internet than needed.

On my flight from Rio to Salvador I met a few kind businessmen who wrote every possible tourist attraction in or around Salvador. They even drove me from the airport to my hostel which was far. I'll say it now; I encountered more friendly people in Salvador then the others places I visited (not many). But anyways, I still have the napkin though its all ripped and difficult to read. But everything I am going to tell you is from my experiences and from the napkin.

As a tourist, you will either want to stay in Barra (pronounced Baja) or Pelourinho. Baja is the wealthy area where most foreigners stay. Pelourinho is the historic center. I stayed in both areas. Barra was nice because its more relaxed and safe, well kept, has great restaurants, and some decent bars and clubs. Pelourinho was also nice because its so lively. One night I walked out of my hostel on a tuesday and did not return until much later because I found a free jazz concert, some strange yet entertaining live music in the center, and a samba band marching through the streets. Its a bit dodgy at night though.

The following are some areas of interest to visit.

-Pelourinho, Mercado Modelo (go down to the basement where they stored the slaves), Afro Brazilian museum, Folkloric ballet show at night
-Cidade Baixa (the Lower City)
-Barra & Farol da Barra
-Campo Grande
-Bonfin
-"Wet'n' Wild" Water Park

-Ribiero: Ribeira has a long stretch of beach and barracas (simple little bars and restaurants). Its perfect for a long walk around the neighborhood and a visit to one of the famous ice cream parlors with lots of unique flavors.

Outside of Salvador you have:

-Morro De Sao Paulo
-Parai do Forte
-Itaparica
-Chapada Diamintina
-Jacobina

One of my favorite days was when I walked away from Pelorinho towards the downtown area and just explored. It felt more "authentic" than any other area I visited in Salvador because normal people were going about their daily business. I got a far better feel for Salvador just walking around and getting lost than the other places.

For hostels, the only place I would absolutely reccomend you stay is
http://www.barraguesthouse.com/ The hostel has a small and friendly atmosphere with a helpful owner. You need to book in advance as its always full. I could tell you the other hostels I stayed but they were nothing special and I am sure you could find ones yourself that are just as good.

As for nightlife, either party in an expensive club (bring ID, shoes, long pants) or in Pelourinho.

P.S. That really good song you will hear on the radio all the time is called Mina Do Condominio by Seu Jorge...i have been listening to it non stop.

Hey I just got back from a month of voluntourism in Salvador. Your pictures tell give a good synopsis of the feel of the city. Our house was in Graca which is right next to Farol da Barra area and Campo Grande. I was working at a school and orphanage quite far away from that area. The kids in school represent the area well, friendly as hell, emotional, respectful but unable to focus or seemingly be serious.

A lot of Afro-Brazilians (call them Negros not blacks, the offensiveness is backswards in South America) won't go to the Pelo or Mercardo Modelo due to the history of torture and punishment by the Portugusese. The basement of the Mercado Modelo just felt creepy and oppressive. They like to boast about how their is no racism, but go to any middle class or upper middle class restaurant or shop and its all light skinned Brazilians.

Most of the other volunteers were college age girls, so I hanging out I got to see the aggressive and unpleasant side of the Bahian men. Lots of hustlers out there and plenty of girls willing to fall for it. I'm Asian so I got a million queries about the Olympics and yelling "ARRIGATO!"

Morro is insane. I vomited on the catamaran ride back 5 times. The song that never stopped playing (besides Fergie) Rap De Armas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlJ2AZxIOiM
Its about having more guns than the police.

Other than Tuesday and the weekends the Pelourinho could get very sketchy. I can't describe it, you just get a vibe that things aren't quite right and not to walk down certain alleys. Lots of cracked out kids. And then 100s of police won't do anything outside their line of sight. DustingDuvet, what days were you there? I was in country Aug 2-Sep 2. I wonder if we possibly crossed paths one Tuesday. Where did you go in the Pelourinho?
Did you eat the acaraje?

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 5, 2008

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Subotai posted:

After reading a bunch of things about the crime in Brazil (especially Sao Paulo), it sounds like you will be robbed and kidnapped the moment you set foot in the city. Is the crime really that bad? Is it fairly safe for tourists or tour groups?

I missed my flight from Sao Paulo to Houston, so I had to spend the day in Sao Paulo. I was so excited, as I had been in the north the entire time. However, the hotel was near GRU airport seemingly in the middle of nowhere. I thought I would link up with some people I met at the lobby bar, but that didn't work out. I asked the clerk if anything was nearby and he said no, just the mall 20 minutes away. So I just sort of sat around from 10AM-5PM torturing myself wondering if I should venture out (out of money, only had an American Express which is nigh worthless in Brazil).

I probably should have worked something out with my credit card. I am totally kicking myself days later for just hanging out in the hotel.

Was venturing out to Sao Paulo with no knowledge of where to go, no cash, an early evening international flight, and the appearance of a tourist the wrong idea?

AAAAGGGH

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

CatchrNdRy posted:

Hey I just got back from a month of voluntourism in Salvador. Your pictures tell give a good synopsis of the feel of the city. Our house was in Graca which is right next to Farol da Barra area and Campo Grande. I was working at a school and orphanage quite far away from that area. The kids in school represent the area well, friendly as hell, emotional, respectful but unable to focus or seemingly be serious.

A lot of Afro-Brazilians (call them Negros not blacks, the offensiveness is backswards in South America) won't go to the Pelo or Mercardo Modelo due to the history of torture and punishment by the Portugusese. The basement of the Mercado Modelo just felt creepy and oppressive. They like to boast about how their is no racism, but go to any middle class or upper middle class restaurant or shop and its all light skinned Brazilians.

Most of the other volunteers were college age girls, so I hanging out I got to see the aggressive and unpleasant side of the Bahian men. Lots of hustlers out there and plenty of girls willing to fall for it. I'm Asian so I got a million queries about the Olympics and yelling "ARRIGATO!"

Morro is insane. I vomited on the catamaran ride back 5 times. The song that never stopped playing (besides Fergie) Rap De Armas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlJ2AZxIOiM
Its about having more guns than the police.

Other than Tuesday and the weekends the Pelourinho could get very sketchy. I can't describe it, you just get a vibe that things aren't quite right and not to walk down certain alleys. Lots of cracked out kids. And then 100s of police won't do anything outside their line of sight. DustingDuvet, what days were you there? I was in country Aug 2-Sep 2. I wonder if we possibly crossed paths one Tuesday. Where did you go in the Pelourinho?
Did you eat the acaraje?

It sounds like you had a really enjoyable experience in Salvador and got to know the people pretty well.

I would disagree and say that racism is just different in Brazil in general and really hard to explain. In Posto 9 in Ipanema you would only see white people. But in almost any club and during the day you would see a mix up white, black, and mixed friends and couples, much moreso than in the US or any other country I have visited. But then some black people talk about other black people negatively even though they are black themselves, but maybe with a bit lighter skin . Either way, its all really confusing.

I am glad to know I was not the only one who vomited on the way back from Morro De Sao Paulo. The way there was smooth sailing but I had just eaten one of those greasy cheese empanadas and the sea was the most violent I ever encountered on my limited sea experience. Those few hours were torture.

Pelourinho was great and I agree it was a bit sketchy. I remember in the afternoon I started walking downhill towards all of the hardware stores and a guy grabbed my arm to tell me that I ought not go that way since its really dangerous. But I think locals always tend to exaggerate a bit about danger. I mean, a day earlier I wandered down that same way and did not feel threatened. But the nights when the streets were empty I felt vulnerable and would stop myself from wandering to far away. So I basically wandered all around Pelourinho for a few days and also opposite the opposite direction of the elevator, all the way downtown.

I was in Brazil from July 29-August 4. I believe I did try the acaraje from that old woman in Morro De Sao Paulo but I did not find it to appetizing and the dendê is supposed to cause bad stomach aches.

You should have gone out in Sao Paulo as its a really nice city. I found their subway system efficient and safe to use, often coming back alone late at night. Its a neat city with a lot to see.

R2ICustomerSupport fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 7, 2008

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

DustingDuvet posted:

It sounds like you had a really enjoyable experience in Salvador and got to know the people pretty well.

I would disagree and say that racism is just different in Brazil in general and really hard to explain. In Posto 9 in Ipanema you would only see white people. But in almost any club and during the day you would see a mix up white, black, and mixed friends and couples, much moreso than in the US or any other country I have visited. But then some black people talk about other black people negatively even though they are black themselves, but maybe with a bit lighter skin . Either way, its all really confusing.

I am glad to know I was not the only one who vomited on the way back from Morro De Sao Paulo. The way there was smooth sailing but I had just eaten one of those greasy cheese empanadas and the sea was the most violent I ever encountered on my limited sea experience. Those few hours were torture.

Pelourinho was great and I agree it was a bit sketchy. I remember in the afternoon I started walking downhill towards all of the hardware stores and a guy grabbed my arm to tell me that I ought not go that way since its really dangerous. But I think locals always tend to exaggerate a bit about danger. I mean, a day earlier I wandered down that same way and did not feel threatened. But the nights when the streets were empty I felt vulnerable and would stop myself from wandering to far away. So I basically wandered all around Pelourinho for a few days and also opposite the opposite direction of the elevator, all the way downtown.

I was in Brazil from July 29-August 4. I believe I did try the acaraje from that old woman in Morro De Sao Paulo but I did not find it to appetizing and the dendê is supposed to cause bad stomach aches.

You should have gone out in Sao Paulo as its a really nice city. I found their subway system efficient and safe to use, often coming back alone late at night. Its a neat city with a lot to see.

AHHH I already feel so much remorse for not venturing out in Sao Paulo. The pain of regret is not lessening with time. I can't describe how excited I was to get a a 24 hr layover there, only then to discover how far away my hotel was from anything but GRU.

My other major regret was not seeing a local soccer match. The nearby stadium (the one by the nice park with the lake) had partially collapsed last year so the closest stadium was 1.5 to 4 hours away, depending on who you asked.

I don't regret not eat any Bahia-specific food. Other than street stands it was expensive and everyone who tried it had some issues with it. At our house we had a staff prepare a variety of fresh meals with only sometimes with dende oil. I'm glad you confirmed the lack of charm to the acaraje. We at least went to some churiscarias in Itapua.

I wasn't sick at all on the way to Morro. I guess that was probably the same for you. I laughed at everyone for taking Dramamine. However, having only a mild hangover was enough to start me yakking on the way back. I was hanging out in the aft of the ship trying to get fresh air at suggestion of the steward. There was a constant stream of people running to vomit over the side. I did see whales and flying fish while back there, so it was a plus.

I agree the racial dynamics are complicated and I can't begin to understand them. They probably involve some cultural component that we can't discern just yet, and isn't so "black and white".

hey DustingDuvet, whats your deal anyway? Are you just taking a year off and traveling all over South America? Too bad you didn't stay till the 5th for Tuesday night Pelo. We probably could have run into each other. You knew it was going to be a sketchy night when two crack kids try to grab girls hands with that crosseyed look. Where is the unsafest (crime wise) place you have been to in South America?

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 9, 2008

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
My boyfriend and I are going to Argentina! On a whim (an expensive one), we bought plane tickets to spend a month there. We've never been outside the United States, know little to no Spanish, and are basing our entire trip around the prospect of listening to "Requiem for Evita" as the plane descends.

Any pointers? I figured we'd just find a hostel, settle down for a few days, and then find more adept people our age and copy their itinerary.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

CatchrNdRy posted:

My other major regret was not seeing a local soccer match.

I am sure after you see the picture below it will make it an even bigger regret!

Yeah, the Maracana was rocking with 75,000+ people in attendance chanting, setting off flares, and jumping around the entire game!

CatchrNdRy posted:

I wasn't sick at all on the way to Morro. I guess that was probably the same for you. I laughed at everyone for taking Dramamine. However, having only a mild hangover was enough to start me yakking on the way back. I was hanging out in the aft of the ship trying to get fresh air at suggestion of the steward. There was a constant stream of people running to vomit over the side. I did see whales and flying fish while back there, so it was a plus.

Now you made me jealous about seeing whales. Almost worse than vomiting on the boat ride was afterwards when my the group I traveled with and I split up and I went on my own with my backpack and in sandals, up the elevator to find any hostel with room before it got dark. And it did get dark a few minutes before I finally found one.

CatchrNdRy posted:

hey DustingDuvet, whats your deal anyway? Are you just taking a year off and traveling all over South America? Too bad you didn't stay till the 5th for Tuesday night Pelo. We probably could have run into each other. You knew it was going to be a sketchy night when two crack kids try to grab girls hands with that crosseyed look. Where is the unsafest (crime wise) place you have been to in South America?

I am still in college and run a few businesses on the internet and love to travel (especially South America). I figured I ought to go now that I have the chance, money, and can continue working anywhere. So Last summer I traveled solo around Ecuador (Galapagos too) and Colombia for 3 1/2 months. And now I just finished my second summer in SA after traveling in Colombia (1 1/2 months), Peru (1 week), and Brazil (36 days). I am going to study abroad in either Colombia or Buenos Aires this spring semester and am sure I will travel afterwards all summer!

We'll have to meet up back in Pelourinho next year for a tuesday instead.

I'm not too sure which place has been the most dangerous. A lot of places can seem scary the first day or first few hours but then feel like normal places. I certainly felt at ease in Rio spending over 3 weeks there, and thats supposed to be a dangerous place. I even arranged and led 14 others to a favela funk party like in City of God!

I was attacked in Guayaquil Ecuador. It was my second week traveling solo ever and I pretty much deserved it walking alone in a bad area at midnight. So even then I can't say Guayaquil was that bad.

What about you?

ElroySmin
Oct 21, 2005
So, I read the last SA thread planning my trip, so I might as well contribute what I can to this one. I just got back from almost 4 months travelling from Buenos Aires to Bogota (skipping some bits in between for time :(, of course), and have only now gotten around to putting up a photo album!
Anyway, this is mostly for friends and family, so alas (for you guys.. anyway, sweet for people who love my face) you'll be stuck looking at my dopey mug every 1/3rd shot or so, but it'll give you a good idea of what to expect on the gringo trail!
be warned: there are 500. i like pictures, sue me.
I halfassed location tagged them too, but it was to about the nearest province, so don't get bent out of shape if i tagged the wrong mountain range.
I'm going to work on making captions, check back soon!
Most of them were taken with a d40, a few with my olympus P&S, some of them i lost the cd/accidentally deleted them so you have to deal with facebook sized.

Onto the photos, bishes.

Pusscat
Apr 1, 2005

What's new, Pusscat?

ElroySmin posted:

So, I read the last SA thread planning my trip, so I might as well contribute what I can to this one. I just got back from almost 4 months travelling from Buenos Aires to Bogota...

Fantastic. Great photos! What was your best/worst bit?

ElroySmin
Oct 21, 2005

Pusscat posted:

Fantastic. Great photos! What was your best/worst bit?

That's a really tough decision. I lucked out something fierce when I first arrived: the first person I met on my first day asked me if I wanted to head over to her spanish school with her because they were buying tickets for the Boca Jrs/River Plate game that was happening that weekend. Score, Argentine soccer fans know how to get rowdy, that's for sure, and it was absolutely insane.

Other highlights: Seeing the mines at Potosi, bolivia as well as the salkantay trek in and around Cuzco/Machu Picchu, Peru. Random colombians (who, far more often than not were absolutely drop dead gorgeous) coming up and asking for a photo with you and then starting a conversation.

Lowlight: getting stranded by strikes, landslides, horrible roads and general pisspoor Bolivian (and to a lesser extent, Peruvian) transportation. On the Salkantay trek I also absolutely battered my knees, to the point where I couldn't properly walk for over 3 weeks afterwards, which made Lima, Mancora, Montanita and Quito a total writeoff. I was pretty pissed about that, I also had tonsilitis during that time. Thanks health.

Herr R.
Apr 26, 2008
Is there a reason (apart from Chavez) Americans don't go to Venezuela?

I just came back and in two weeks I:
- went snorkeling in the Caribbean
- went paragliding in the Andes
- played with tarantulas and watched dolphins and anteaters in the Orinoco delta
- went to the highest waterfall on earth (Salto Angel) in the middle of the jungle
- went partying in Caracas

Seriously, the country is beautiful, if somewhat expensive at the moment. But I didn't meet a single American or Canadian backpacker. Lots of Europeans and some Asians, though.

ja raul
Mar 19, 2004
-ja raul
Im in the very early stages of planning a rough itenerary of 2 month trip of Peru & Brasil starting June 2009. Im looking for recommendations of small towns to visit either in Peru or Brazil. My rough itenerary sort of takes me around the 2 countries in an n/upside down J shape: Arrive in Lima - Ica - Ayacucho - Cusco - back to Lima - then up to Iquitos (this will take appx 3 weeks, looking for more smaller towns to visit in between). From Iquitos I plan to take a boat to Manaus as this would be the path of least resistance.

From Manaus Im not sure if I would be sick of travelling by boat enough to make flight arrangements to Fortaleza or Just stick it out to Belem. But pretty much once I reach the coast of Brazil Ill be travelling down to Sao Paulo while making a few stops at the must see cities like Recife, salvador, Porto Seguro, and Rio. If money/time permits then I should be able to make it to either Brasilia or Florianopolis. Again, im looking for recommendations of small towns to check out, whether it be for beautiful views or just something unique to that location that one would recommend a 'must see'.

I'll be travelling alone if it makes any difference - im aware some cities are especially romantic and suited towards a couple, im mainly going to relax on the beaches and get a tan and practice my spanish/portuguese, preferably without getting robbed.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

XiXious posted:

words

I think you are really underestimating the distance you are planning to cover. For instance, Belem to Sao Paulo is over 45 hours by bus. I would really limit it to fewer destinations in Brazil that are closer to each other because because bus travel is incredibly expensive in Brazil. In fact, it's often cheaper to fly rather than go by bus. But if you are set on seeing various places in Brazil I would really recommend you research a flight pass (at least $700) that allows you about 6 flights in 1 month. You need to purchase the flight pass before entering Brazil and with the flight and airline that will take you to Brazil.

I also wanted to mention that if you are American you need a visa, which requires you do certain things like showing proof of an entry/exit ticket and yellow fever vaccination certificate (since you are coming from Peru) before you can apply for the visa.

I am probably not the best to recommend places as I visited few in Peru and Brazil (Lima and Cusco, Rio, Sao Paulo, Salvador, Paraty, Morro De Sao Paulo).

But from what I heard from other travelers and my own reccomendations, Places to consider (not including places below Sao Paulo) are Rio of course, Salvador, Ouro Preto and Tiradentes, Ilha Grande (highly unrecommended by others, Paraty, Manaus, Belem, Jericoacoara, Olinda, etc.

Brasilia is supposed to be boring for tourists unless you are into city planning or something.

roflcopter thief
Nov 22, 2007
¿por que no te callas?

DustingDuvet posted:

I think you are really underestimating the distance you are planning to cover. For instance, Belem to Sao Paulo is over 45 hours by bus. I would really limit it to fewer destinations in Brazil that are closer to each other because because bus travel is incredibly expensive in Brazil. In fact, it's often cheaper to fly rather than go by bus. But if you are set on seeing various places in Brazil I would really recommend you research a flight pass (at least $700) that allows you about 6 flights in 1 month. You need to purchase the flight pass before entering Brazil and with the flight and airline that will take you to Brazil.

I also wanted to mention that if you are American you need a visa, which requires you do certain things like showing proof of an entry/exit ticket and yellow fever vaccination certificate (since you are coming from Peru) before you can apply for the visa.

I am probably not the best to recommend places as I visited few in Peru and Brazil (Lima and Cusco, Rio, Sao Paulo, Salvador, Paraty, Morro De Sao Paulo).

But from what I heard from other travelers and my own reccomendations, Places to consider (not including places below Sao Paulo) are Rio of course, Salvador, Ouro Preto and Tiradentes, Ilha Grande (highly unrecommended by others, Paraty, Manaus, Belem, Jericoacoara, Olinda, etc.

Brasilia is supposed to be boring for tourists unless you are into city planning or something.
Jericoacoara is about 6 hours by bus from Fortaleza. There exists another beach town which is called Canoa Quebrada, which has a crazy nightlife and is about 3 hours by bus from Fortaleza. I'm staying in Fortaleza until December (been here since June) and in December, I will be traveling to the south to see Florianopolis, Curitiba, Rio, and maybe a couple other cities. If someone comes through here, drop me a line.

pitchblende
Nov 17, 2003

I think I don't give a fuck about what u think. I think that without help anyone will suck in there. Also I think u need to beat it!
I'm thinking about taking a two week trip next year to Rio de Janiero, Buenos Aires and perhaps another city in between. I'd like to go during Carnival but I'm wondering if its really worth it. Looks like prices are jacked up insanely even for hostels during that time period. I'm also wondering if its realistic to go to the Sambadrome during this time.

This would be my first time to South America and I'm looking for any recommendations for things to do in two weeks time in these countries (Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay).

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

pitchblende posted:

I'm thinking about taking a two week trip next year to Rio de Janiero, Buenos Aires and perhaps another city in between. I'd like to go during Carnival but I'm wondering if its really worth it. Looks like prices are jacked up insanely even for hostels during that time period. I'm also wondering if its realistic to go to the Sambadrome during this time.

This would be my first time to South America and I'm looking for any recommendations for things to do in two weeks time in these countries (Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay).

Two weeks is not much so you will of course want to fly between cities with big distances like Rio De Janeiro and Buenos Aires. Doing so is pretty expensive, especially between different countries. But if you have a big budget, Rio and Buenos Aires are probably a good choice. If you decide on visiting Buenos Aires you can make a trip by to Uruguay which is not very far. You need a visa to visit Paraguay if you are American and it needs to be done in advance.

Rio De Janeiro definitely has enough to keep you there for a week doing different activities each day.

-Soccer at the Maracana
-Favela Tour
-Favela Funk Party
-Ipanema Beach, posto 9
-Sugar Loaf Mountain
-Christ the Redeemer
-hiking in Tijuca forest
-Santa Theresa
-market in Uruguaiana
-hangliding
-Capoeira show
-samba school practice
etc.

But if you are going during carnival time (have never been) than i imagine you ought to just stay in Rio the entire time with 1-2 possible side trips to Paraty, Ilha Grande, etc.

I have heard that Carnival is well worth it and is much different in each city. In Rio it is supposed to be more of a show, where you will watch elaborate shows, etc.
In other cities like Recife the carnival is more participatory. Tickets to Sambadrome are still available and there is no reason why you can not expect to go. Though a ticket is expensive ($150+).

If you do decide on Carnival you better start booking a hotel now since they fill up fast and become increasingly expensive. Rio is expensive to begin with so your vacation there will probably cost way more than you imagined.

I have never visited Argentina so another goon will have to give you advice on that.

pitchblende
Nov 17, 2003

I think I don't give a fuck about what u think. I think that without help anyone will suck in there. Also I think u need to beat it!

DustingDuvet posted:

Rio stuff

This is some good information. Do you have a hostel that you would recommend? I'm looking more for a party hostel and staying up late isn't a big deal. I figure if I drink enough I can pass out.

I've found El Misti which has a 7 day package for around $500. I realize that this time of year they are jacking up the prices because of Carnaval.

Also would you recommend staying in Salvador or Rio during Carnaval?

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

pitchblende posted:

This is some good information. Do you have a hostel that you would recommend? I'm looking more for a party hostel and staying up late isn't a big deal. I figure if I drink enough I can pass out.

I've found El Misti which has a 7 day package for around $500. I realize that this time of year they are jacking up the prices because of Carnaval.

Also would you recommend staying in Salvador or Rio during Carnaval?

The top 2 party hostels in Rio, pretty much agreed upon by everyone, are "Mellow Yellow" and "Stone Of A Beach". It's not really just my opinion, its pretty much a known fact.

http://www.mellowyellow.com.br/
http://www.stoneofabeach.com.br/

I stayed in Stone of a Beach for about 2 weeks. There is a rooftop bar with a hot tub which is usually pretty active. However, most people would form little cliques that would form at different tables with mostly groups of people already traveling together, the staff are not helpful, and overall I would recommend staying elsewhere.

I also drank at the Mellow Yellow bar one night and it seems like a pretty good hostel. The bar is huge and all of the tables are lined up together, sort of cafeteria style. The place was extremely lively and it seemed much easier to meet other travelers. However, the place is absolutely humongous, expensive, and they hostel has a bunch of really strict rules you need to follow.

Believe it or not, I also stayed at El Misti in Copacabana for a week and absolutely loved it. They have a bar out on the porch with 3 sofas sitting around a table. People staying here were more approachable and a lot more diverse (I met travelers from Brazil, Argentina, Peru, all over Europe, US, Australia, etc.) of all different ages. The staff was really friendly and I had a really great time and met a bunch of people. The only thing is that its a smaller hostel and so I couldn't not find people wanting to go out every night. But if you are there during Carnival I doubt that will be an issue.

I would personally choose to attend Carnival in this order.
1. Recife
2. Salvador
3. Rio

Rio is more of an elaborate show whereas the other 2 places you really get to participate much more. But thats just from what I have heard and read. You are better off asking someone who already went.

If you do choose the El Misti package, I would recommend calling the hostel now and trying to negotiate a lower price.

Another tip is to not book any of those tours (except the favela tour). You can easily do each yourself rather than paying double the price. For instance, it costs something like $65 reals for the favela funk party tour, which includes transportation and entrance.

You can do it independently if you gather a group of 4 to share the taxi and will only pay 30 reals at the most for transportation and entrance, per person. Or a soccer game at maracana will cost like 70 reals whereas you could take the subway and buy a ticket yourself, which will only cost about 20 reals in total. Those tours are big ripoffs.

R2ICustomerSupport fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 28, 2008

pitchblende
Nov 17, 2003

DustingDuvet posted:

The top 2 party hostels in Rio, pretty much agreed upon by everyone, are "Mellow Yellow" and "Stone Of A Beach". It's not really just my opinion, its pretty much a known fact.

http://www.mellowyellow.com.br/
http://www.stoneofabeach.com.br/

I stayed in Stone of a Beach for about 2 weeks. There is a rooftop bar with a hot tub which is usually pretty active. However, most people would form little cliques that would form at different tables with mostly groups of people already traveling together, the staff are not helpful, and overall I would recommend staying elsewhere.

I also drank at the Mellow Yellow bar one night and it seems like a pretty good hostel. The bar is huge and all of the tables are lined up together, sort of cafeteria style. The place was extremely lively and it seemed much easier to meet other travelers. However, the place is absolutely humongous, expensive, and they hostel has a bunch of really strict rules you need to follow.

Believe it or not, I also stayed at El Misti in Copacabana for a week and absolutely loved it. They have a bar out on the porch with 3 sofas sitting around a table. People staying here were more approachable and a lot more diverse (I met travelers from Brazil, Argentina, Peru, all over Europe, US, Australia, etc.) of all different ages. The staff was really friendly and I had a really great time and met a bunch of people. The only thing is that its a smaller hostel and so I couldn't not find people wanting to go out every night. But if you are there during Carnival I doubt that will be an issue.

I would personally choose to attend Carnival in this order.
1. Recife
2. Salvador
3. Rio

Rio is more of an elaborate show whereas the other 2 places you really get to participate much more. But thats just from what I have heard and read. You are better off asking someone who already went.

If you do choose the El Misti package, I would recommend calling the hostel now and trying to negotiate a lower price.

Another tip is to not book any of those tours (except the favela tour). You can easily do each yourself rather than paying double the price. For instance, it costs something like $65 reals for the favela funk party tour, which includes transportation and entrance.

You can do it independently if you gather a group of 4 to share the taxi and will only pay 30 reals at the most for transportation and entrance, per person. Or a soccer game at maracana will cost like 70 reals whereas you could take the subway and buy a ticket yourself, which will only cost about 20 reals in total. Those tours are big ripoffs.

Thanks for the information. I was planning on El Misti because it had higher ratings than the others and viewing the ratings on Hostelworld showed that it was fairly social. I like social hostels more so than party hostels, but I don't like it when they try to stop people from having a good time either.

I have a friend from Recife and I'd love to go there but he currently lives in Germany. If he's in town during that town I would definitely go there and maybe convince him to go to Rio as well or something.

As for El Misti, it seems like they offer Sambodromo tickets for $27 in sector 13. From looking elsewhere online, that looks like a decent deal. Am I mistaken?

http://www.elmistihostels.com/copacabana-hostels-prices.html

Anyhow I'm seeing if any friends want to go first before I execute. I've traveled a lot but I'm just not sure if I feel comfortable going there by myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

pitchblende posted:

I have a friend from Recife and I'd love to go there but he currently lives in Germany. If he's in town during that town I would definitely go there and maybe convince him to go to Rio as well or something.

As for El Misti, it seems like they offer Sambodromo tickets for $27 in sector 13. From looking elsewhere online, that looks like a decent deal. Am I mistaken?

http://www.elmistihostels.com/copacabana-hostels-prices.html

Anyhow I'm seeing if any friends want to go first before I execute. I've traveled a lot but I'm just not sure if I feel comfortable going there by myself.

El Misti is a good choice, especially if you are traveling alone. But I really would not let the fact that you may be traveling alone or with a friend dictate your travel plans. Brazil does have a reputation for being a bit dangerous...but it is certainly not a war zone and if you have any common sense than you will be fine. It's not like you will accidentally wander into a favela or anything. You may feel a bit uncomfortable traveling alone the first day in Brazil, but after that I swear you will feel just as safe as if you were home.

The Sambodromo tickets El Misti quoted you sounds like a decent price. Just make sure you avoid Sector 9, which is the tourist sector which charges higher prices than the other sectors. If you get a ticket in sector 9, you might feel quite isolated from the Brazilians and the "party". The best locations are around half-way and just a bit towards the end of the Avenue, sectors 5, 7, 9 and 11.