Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
While I can understand people wanting them back together, I don't understand the constant need to gripe about it. It'll happen when it happens, if you can't bear with that then take a few months off from reading the strip.

Sometimes you gotta cut a comic loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My only real problem with having the group split up so much is that the dynamic is really lost; each of the characters is really just an RP stereotype, and a lot of the good jokes and fun were them playing off each other. Elan isn't as funny without a good straight man, and Durkon is too bland to really make the sell. That's why people found him entertaining in the group and frustrating on his own - he's just part of a routine that doesn't fly well solo.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
Can't believe nobody's mentioned this yet, but OOTS is at strip 599 right now. We all know Burlew likes doing major things at important numbers. I think it's pretty clear what strip 600 is going to be, and it's not going to be good for V's alignment.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

ZorbaTHut posted:

Can't believe nobody's mentioned this yet, but OOTS is at strip 599 right now. We all know Burlew likes doing major things at important numbers. I think it's pretty clear what strip 600 is going to be, and it's not going to be good for V's alignment.

Yesss, you might say it won't be good at all... Or rather, it will be evil! Like V's new alignment! Which will also be evil!

Sorry.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

The Werle posted:

While I can understand people wanting them back together, I don't understand the constant need to gripe about it. It'll happen when it happens, if you can't bear with that then take a few months off from reading the strip.

Fair enough I guess, though I like having posts to read in this thread, even if they are complaints. Discussion tends to be slow enough as it is.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
We could discuss the possibility that "Disintegrate. Gust of Wind." to Kubota is V's four words to the right person at the right time for all the wrong reasons. Now seems like the time V's most desperate to get ultimate arcane power from some source (be it the imp or someone else)- and the way it happens would also fit with the format of Haley's prediction (not immediate results).

But... V's question was when she would get ultimate power (not just 'could', there's no possibility of him declining the imp and missing out). I don't see her getting ultimate power this early in the overarching plot (we still have lots of gates to do, V can't die yet!). I don't know how it could be 'complete and total' ultimate power if it was only temporary.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

NutShellBill posted:

Yesss, you might say it won't be good at all... Or rather, it will be evil! Like V's new alignment! Which will also be evil!

I thought of that joke and explicitly decided not to make it. You have brought shame upon this respected Internet forum. :mad:

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Kleedrac posted:

1) Why is everyone referring to "V" as a guy?

Because "he" is the appropiate English pronoun to use when talking about a person whose gender you don't know.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

ZorbaTHut posted:

I thought of that joke and explicitly decided not to make it. You have brought shame upon this respected Internet forum. :mad:

Requesting permission to perform the three cuts to restore my honour.

Edit: It will take 47 strips, and everyone will complain.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Sefer posted:

Because "he" is the appropiate English pronoun to use when talking about a person whose gender you don't know.

Let's use "It". It sounds so degradate-y.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Noonsaliwah posted:

We could discuss the possibility that "Disintegrate. Gust of Wind." to Kubota is V's four words to the right person at the right time for all the wrong reasons. Now seems like the time V's most desperate to get ultimate arcane power from some source (be it the imp or someone else)- and the way it happens would also fit with the format of Haley's prediction (not immediate results).

But... V's question was when she would get ultimate power (not just 'could', there's no possibility of him declining the imp and missing out). I don't see her getting ultimate power this early in the overarching plot (we still have lots of gates to do, V can't die yet!). I don't know how it could be 'complete and total' ultimate power if it was only temporary.

But wouldn't V making a pact with the imp be the wrong person at the wrong time for all the right reasons?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
"Ultimate Cosmic Power" could count posthumously. If V gets V's-self killed by the imp or its associates, V'll find Roy all that much quicker too.

Sefer posted:

V needs no puny pronouns!

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Neraren posted:

But wouldn't V making a pact with the imp be the wrong person at the wrong time for all the right reasons?

Yes, but the words were said to Kubato; The right person (to lead to V leaving, but not being persued) at the right time (when the imp was around) for all the wrong reasons (I think that's self explanatory).

It's just the first time we've had V say 4 right words for the wrong reasons so far. And I'd like to think this was all planned, and it's not just story-stalling.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
I suppose I'll toss into the fire of this discussion that Ultimate means both 'peak' and 'final'. V's Ultimate arcane power might not be as desirable as he imagined.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

shadysight posted:

I suppose I'll toss into the fire of this discussion that Ultimate means both 'peak' and 'final'. V's Ultimate arcane power might not be as desirable as he imagined.

That's a very good point. If V allies with the imp, becomes evil and very powerful, and then gets beaten down throughly by the Order, that'd be pretty "ultimate" right there, in a strictly literal sense of the word.

That said, hasn't Burlew mentioned that he's not planning on getting rid of any of the main characters, or turning them evil, or something along those lines? That's one reason I'm having a hard time believing this is going to be permanent - it just doesn't seem likely that V's turning into a villain forever.

Dead villain included.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The Werle posted:

I tried to hoe this road in the Dresden Codak thread; it only ends in frustration. When people want to hate on a comic, they'll hate on it in the face of all logic.

Custodes
Jan 3, 2003
Well, new strip is mostly up, and lord he really hates satisfying reader demand.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I demand that his site stay up better than a baby giraffe in an earthquake.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?
For those that can't get to the site:

Click here for the full 743x1818 image.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Custodes posted:

Well, new strip is mostly up, and lord he really hates satisfying reader demand.

Burlew to readers re: latest strip:

t:D

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Up to now, I've not been upset at the slow pace or the side plots. But here's a big gently caress you to the author for not only realizing that the comic is slowing down, but laughing about it.

This is seriously a dick move.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

A dick move, but a funny one. It's like he's trolling everyone. I'd think goons would appreciate that.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

terminal mehmet posted:

A dick move, but a funny one. It's like he's trolling everyone. I'd think goons would appreciate that.

I came here to post the exact same thing. This is a beautiful troll.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kleedrac posted:

Wow, first of all I should have learned by now that there is a thread for everything on SA. Now then, after skimming the first 130 odd pages I have a few questions;
1) Why is everyone referring to "V" as a guy?
2) Why do some of you want this story to end prematurely?

Beyond that it's good to have fellow fans to converse with :)
I'm sure a lot of people have their own perception of V's gender when they read the strip and either way it's easier than using ambiguous pronouns constantly.

Second, nobody wants the story to end prematurely, we just want the story to get back on track. We have been piddling around in really pointless sideplots for far too long now. Following the conclusion of the azure city arc, the main forces behind the plot were resurrecting Roy and reuniting the cast. Instead Burlew forces us further and further away from each of those goals. It's like following up The Empire Strikes Back with a movie about Luke going to live on Corellia and Leia becoming a prostitute on Bespin. He's intentionally frustrating all of these threads he's left dangling.

To make matters worse these side stories haven't even been good or constructive. Nobody's getting any character development except V who is just becoming more demented and amoral. The strip functuons best as an ensemble comedy with the Roy as the straight man and voice of reason. Without Roy we are now focused on Elan one of the two biggest one note jokes in strip and Haley who is straddled with the other one note, as well as a dead weight peripheral character.

The one somewhat interesting addition to the strip recently was killed off so Elan wouldn't have to mature. It's like Burlew is actively trying to destroy the readability of his strip. Even the laffer jokes he's thrown at us lately are prefaced by massive walls of text that Tim Buckley would find verbose. We're into Dragon Ball Z powering up in the afterlife level stupidity and boredom and I can't believe more people aren't frustrated with it.

So in short, none of us want the story to race to finish like, we want it to pick up some loose threads and stop sucking.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I'm not particularly frustrated with it. :)

Heck, I admit it. I laughed at this last one, despite (or perhaps because of) my anticipation of some big strip 600 reveal.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

MechaFrogzilla posted:

I'm not particularly frustrated with it. :)

Heck, I admit it. I laughed at this last one, despite (or perhaps because of) my anticipation of some big strip 600 reveal.

I completely agree

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

ConfusedUs posted:

Up to now, I've not been upset at the slow pace or the side plots. But here's a big gently caress you to the author for not only realizing that the comic is slowing down, but laughing about it.

This is seriously a dick move.

Let's all take a deep breath and forget our sense of entitlement regarding a comic we get for free.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I'd like to point out that Roy has spent over a quarter of the entire series so far dead. Thankfully, Roy getting his goodbyes and such out of the way would seem to indicate that he's gonna get ressed soon, from a narative point of view anyways. He was never my favorite character, but it's been made abundantly clear he was the only thing holding the party together and keeping them all in line. Hopefully he'll come back and whoop everyone into shape (though V's issues will be a challenge, even for him).

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I admit, once I started reading #600 and saw Roy making his goodbyes I thought "Holy crap, Roy's coming back!" but then we all got swerved with that ending.

And I laughed. Without a ridiculous number of speech bubbles in sight. Just a good ol' "ha ha" gag :)

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

Let's all take a deep breath and forget our sense of entitlement regarding a comic we get for free.

That doesn't make it beyond criticism, really. It's not very fair to excuse something from all (possibly useful) crit just because it's free.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Yes, it's not, but so far I've only seen pretty arbitrary criticism. People seem to be confusing "I don't like this, this sucks" with actual, legitimate criticism.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Cabbit posted:

Yes, it's not, but so far I've only seen pretty arbitrary criticism. People seem to be confusing "I don't like this, this sucks" with actual, legitimate criticism.

Which, quite frankly, has been popping up more and more. Some people need a break, I think.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I think that it's just a little bit tortuous for anyone who's actually been involved in a lagging D&D campaign to see the same thing happen to some funny characters. I been there, I know how boring as hell it can be. OoTS isn't boring even though it's not very epic right now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Cabbit posted:

"Abandoning every plot thread to dick around with newly invented C-plots that don't even lead to character development for 100 strips is a terrible idea" is neither actual nor legitimate criticism?

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
:frogsiren:New strizzip my BSSizzers. :frogsiren:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0601.html

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
Well, I guess it's time for all of us who keep hoping that he'll actually move the plot along soon to :suicide:

It seems not doing so is his new favorite joke.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

shadysight posted:

Well, I guess it's time for all of us who keep hoping that he'll actually move the plot along soon to :suicide:

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to disagree with you sir ... Roy's finishing up in the afterlife and V is heading towards what looks to me like more plot.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

shadysight posted:

At least we got "Neither do I, yet you keep showing up," out of it, which is a good line.

I'm okay with Burlew not moving the plot along if he can still give me funny. It's those strips in these past 100 when he's both done nothing and failed to tell any jokes that have sucked for me.

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Shank 'em if ya got 'em, fellas!

CapnAndy posted:

"Abandoning every plot thread to dick around with newly invented C-plots that don't even lead to character development for 100 strips is a terrible idea" is neither actual nor legitimate criticism?

Except Kubota was dicking around before the Azure City invasion and what Haley and Belkar are dealing with now is in the Origin of the PCs, so it's not exactly newly invented.

As for no character development, what do you call what's going on with Varsuvius? Or Belkar, for that matter. Someone who's as violent as he is is getting so sick that he can't fight at all, which is bound to affect him in some way. In addition to that, recent events could possibly make Elan mature a bit and become less annoying. And then there's everything Roy has been up to.

We've had subplots before, we're having subplots now, and we'll most likely have subplots in the future.

And with all of that said, it really has taken too long to get to this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm calling it, Haley and Celia are doing some kind of infiltration plan.

Edit: I had to reread the strip to make sure I still know Celia's name. Haven't seen her in the strip in so long.