Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Bugdrvr posted:

What do you guys think of this bike? http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/870760871.html

I've been realizing that I'm probably going to get killed sooner rather than later trying to ride my little 350 on the freeways around here.
People here are by far the most terrible terrible drivers I've ever encountered and very aggressive to boot. I need some evasion power and the little Honda is just about topped at 85 which is what most traffic seems to be flying by me at.

I don't know a thing about these older Suzukis beside the fact that I love the wonderful '80s look of it.

What? are you in San Diego now?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

aventari posted:

What? are you in San Diego now?!

Yep, just got here a week and a half ago. Seems like there aren't too many of us this far south.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Is there anything awful I should know about this bike? http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/871209310.html

By the sound of it, would it just need a new battery? I can't think of any other problem that would arise from sitting in a garage.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Bugdrvr posted:

What do you guys think of this bike? http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/870760871.html

I've been realizing that I'm probably going to get killed sooner rather than later trying to ride my little 350 on the freeways around here.
People here are by far the most terrible terrible drivers I've ever encountered and very aggressive to boot. I need some evasion power and the little Honda is just about topped at 85 which is what most traffic seems to be flying by me at.

I don't know a thing about these older Suzukis beside the fact that I love the wonderful '80s look of it.

Please tell us you've bought it. It's sexy. It runs. If there is rust on it, it's virtually none. It will be easy to work on, and there's a lot of good info on GSes.

AncientTV posted:

Is there anything awful I should know about this bike? http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/871209310.html

By the sound of it, would it just need a new battery? I can't think of any other problem that would arise from sitting in a garage.

The listing's been removed.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

kdc67 posted:

The listing's been removed.

gently caress me. I knew that would get snatched up :(

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Not sure whether to ask this in here or in the "motorcycle question thread." Figure I'll start here.

What do you guys think would be a good starting price for my bike?

2000 Honda CBR600f4. Silver/Red. About 20k miles.
Extra poo poo on it: Devil Bikes high-mount slip-on, K&N air filter, Zero Gravity Smoked Double Bubble windscreen, flush mount front turn signals, Clear Alternatives LED tail lamp (has the rear turn signals integrated into the brake light), Euro Bikes under tail kit, Woodcraft rear sets, Galfer stainless steel brake lines with Galfer pads, Dunlop Qualifiers with 85-90% tread left. Never been down, tracked, or stunted. The nose fairing and forward facing edges of the side fairings have a few small chips as a result of road debris. The oil and oil filter were changed and the air filter cleaned every 3,000-4,000 miles. Carbs just cleaned, spark plugs just replaced.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

NADA is saying average retail of $3808, KBB is saying $3865.

Would starting out at $4000 be a safe bet? I figure I'm going to get talked down a bit anyways, so starting a little high won't make too much a difference

iroc_dis fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 8, 2008

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

EDIT: poo poo I'm dumb. I thought you were buying it. Oops.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 8, 2008

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
F4is seem horribly overvalued. I would guess other F4is in your area are near 5k. Start yours at the going rate and see how it goes. Sort of a bad time of year to sell a bike.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

n8r posted:

F4is seem horribly overvalued. I would guess other F4is in your area are near 5k. Start yours at the going rate and see how it goes. Sort of a bad time of year to sell a bike.

Yea I figured that much. Ideally I'd like to sell it March of next year or so. Also, its not an F4i :smith:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

iroc_dis posted:

Yea I figured that much. Ideally I'd like to sell it March of next year or so. Also, its not an F4i :smith:

Oh well then that does make a difference. The F4 is pretty undervalued, I'd say 4k is probably a good starting point.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

n8r posted:

Oh well then that does make a difference. The F4 is pretty undervalued, I'd say 4k is probably a good starting point.

I'm tempted to just post it up on Craigslist every few weeks with the $4,000 price. I'm in South Carolina so it doesn't get that cold, and when it does its only for part of December and January. Can't hurt to try, and its free, so why not I suppose.

I'm unsure of what I'll want to get to replace it. A large part of me screams "get an RC51" but they're very hard to find in good condition in my area, and I dunno, maybe it would just be better and easier to get a newer 600rr/zx636/r6. The two aren't even remotely comparable so I'm having a good deal of trouble deciding which route I'd like to pursue

edit/ comedy option:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard (standard)
Excellent shape, dealer maintained.
Always garaged, covered and on a trickle charger.
Shift-Tech Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger
Pilot Power 2CT's in great shape.
Extra oil filter.
6,600 miles
Factory Warranty until 8/2009
NC Inspection Sept 08.
$10,500

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

iroc_dis fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 9, 2008

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

iroc_dis posted:

Not sure whether to ask this in here or in the "motorcycle question thread." Figure I'll start here.

What do you guys think would be a good starting price for my bike?

2000 Honda CBR600f4. Silver/Red. About 20k miles.
Extra poo poo on it: Devil Bik......

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

NADA is saying average retail of $3808, KBB is saying $3865.

Would starting out at $4000 be a safe bet? I figure I'm going to get talked down a bit anyways, so starting a little high won't make too much a difference

I wouldn't pay more than $3k for a bike with that many miles, even with the add-ons and fresh maintenance. Your market must be a helluva lot more expensive than mine (Iowa).

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Well I'm financially ready to buy a motorcycle.

89 Kawasaki Ninja

$1300.

Here's the craiglist
http://odessa.craigslist.org/mcy/835574617.html

Any thoughts?

The whole time I was negotiating I thought it was a Ninja 250. Turns out its a Ninja 600....is this okay?

???

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Captain Apollo posted:

Well I'm financially ready to buy a motorcycle.

89 Kawasaki Ninja

$1300.

Here's the craiglist
http://odessa.craigslist.org/mcy/835574617.html

Any thoughts?

The whole time I was negotiating I thought it was a Ninja 250. Turns out its a Ninja 600....is this okay?

???

If you have some self control, yes. If you don't...I'd stay away. It's over the top of the HP range by a bit, but you can keep it in the lower RPMs and it won't bite...depends more on you than the bike.

Bike looks ok...check the usuals, chain, sprocket, blah blah blah.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
First off, the ad is listing the bike for $1,500, and it's definitely not worth that. Nearly 34k means the rear shock is shot (assuming it hasn't been replaced) and the forks will need rebuilding. I'm getting quotes of the hp being in the 80s for that bike. If it's your first bike, then yes, it's too much. Not to mention all the plastic bits that can easily break and are expensive to replace.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I have a lot of control. I plan on bringing a motorcycle friend along to do the check up so I don't put cash down on a lemon.

Is there a list somewhere where I can see this bikes HP, cc, and other specs? I hate asking the forum if the HP is acceptable when I should be able to find it myself.

How's the price look?

edit:^^^^ somebody read my mind
edit2: I offered him 1000, he offered 1300.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 9, 2008

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
If that's the bike I think it is, 600R or even this then they're showing it as 85hp. Since it doesn't have any of the stickers, it's a definite possibility that it's been repainted. The question is, why? Was it down at some point or did he just want different colors? Fact of the matter is there are quite a few Ninjas of that year on ebay with fewer miles and in what look to be a lot better shape going for $1000 - $1300. It doesn't look bad in the blurry photos, but $1300 good... Meh.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That bike has alot going against it. Its high mileage, its been repainted, its got oddball 16 inch wheels, its got a horribly gaudy anime tank guard, which the owner thought was cool enough to include in the listing.

Dont pay over a grand for it.

Polynomial
Mar 23, 2005

Look, I'm a liberal guy, voting for Obama, yada yada.
Agreed about not paying more than a grand for it. My first bike is an '88 Ninja 600R, and it's pretty forgiving. Sometimes when I'm really leaned over, the rear wheel feels somewhat unstable, but that might have to do with my suspension or some other stuff.

I've gone full throttle a few times easily without any wheelies or other incidents.

Edit: Looks like the '89 has 10hp more than the '88.

waptang
Nov 30, 2003
My brother and I have been tossing the idea around of getting a dirt bike or two or something similar for screwing around during the winter. Dirt bikes, as well as two-strokes (these two seem to go hand-in-hand) are pretty foreign to me, so I'm just looking for a little guidance on what I should be looking for.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

waptang posted:

My brother and I have been tossing the idea around of getting a dirt bike or two or something similar for screwing around during the winter. Dirt bikes, as well as two-strokes (these two seem to go hand-in-hand) are pretty foreign to me, so I'm just looking for a little guidance on what I should be looking for.

You need to say a lot more about what you want to do with the bikes, you ability levels, and how much you want to spend.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

n8r posted:

You need to say a lot more about what you want to do with the bikes, you ability levels, and how much you want to spend.

I say two CR500s.

C'mon, I mean, it's old! And only a 500!

(Note: Do not actually do this. Please.)

waptang
Nov 30, 2003

n8r posted:

The idea right now is that it'd just be fun to have something to ride around nearby trails. Being street legal (stock or mods) would be a definite bonus. Our skill levels are pretty low. I just bought a bike a few months ago, so I have some experience with a street bike, but he has none with either street or dirt. As a result of our inexperience, something with a lowish displacement and inexpensive is preferable due to the inevitable hamfisted fuckup.

iwentdoodie posted:

I say two CR500s.

C'mon, I mean, it's old! And only a 500!

(Note: Do not actually do this. Please.)

Yeah, from what I've gathered, a two stroke is roughly as powerful as a four stroke with twice the displacement, so a CR500 is right out.

Just because I mentioned two strokes in my first post doesn't mean that is all I'm considering, it just means that's what I'm seeing as I browse around craigslist. If there's a four stroke that would be better for this, that's fine. If two strokes are the best bet, I'm fine with learning something new too.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Well, my last discovery was bought out from under me, so here's round two.

A 1977 CB750. The best HP quote I could find was 67, making it a bit high for a first, but still lower than 600s that some praise as beginner bikes.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/873093205.html

I've already asked for more details and some pictures, but he hasn't gotten back to me. Are Hondas really pull-your-hair caliber project bikes?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
^^ A secondhand project bike just seems to scream 'avoid at all costs' to me, but maybe that's just the cynic in me.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
That's what I was thinking too, just making sure I wasn't passing up on a good opportunity.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
I will say that if you haven't owned a well-known sportsbike, be prepared to be treated like an rear end in a top hat, when similar actions in a car would be accepted. Example:

I'm in the HOV lane behind a truck going 60 MPH, which also happens to be the speed limit. I'm cruising along, when a Merc from out of nowhere zips around us. I have awhile to go on the freeway, so I figure what the hell, I'll zip around too. The truck allowed the Merc to do so, shouldn't have a problem with me right?

The SECOND I move a lane to the right, I accelerate to get around the truck. Truck says gently caress that, and accelerates to the speed of the Merc, which was doing like 90. I say gently caress this, and I get behind the truck, who is going 90 so I'm happy. However truck then slows to 60 and turns on his windshield wiper fluid with wipers going for a good 45 seconds. :wtc:

I run in to this poo poo about once a week on my r6, never once ran into it on my 89 Kawasaki EX500.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Ironically I'm looking at the below r6 right now to fixup and upgrade too from my ex500. I've noticed the 500 is really middle ground where guys on hogs will still give me the motorcycle wave, and guys on sport bikes still ask if I can wheelie it and how fast it goes.

http://savannah.craigslist.org/mcy/869708562.html

My question is how much work goes into replacing all that says is needed in the add (new head because of bent valve)? I have the money for it and it has been on craigslist for awhile so I'm sure I could talk him down to about an even grand. I only have two concerns with it. One is that it is complete poo poo and I would end up reselling it after putting money into it and finding this out. The second is that I won't have the mechanical know how to fix it. I really don't know to much about mechanics but I learn quick and could figure it out if I found some sort of walk through. I could park it in my dorms parking spot with my 500 while fixing it.

TLDR; is the above bike trash or too much work for someone who isn't the master of mechanics.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
That just looks like the standard "selling for this cheap because X needs to be replaced," where X is usually something trivial like a starter or a battery. Just ask yourself - if you could sell your vehicle for $2500 instead of $1200 by having $500 in work done to it, why wouldn't you? Unless, of course, you know that there are other things that have failed, or are about to.

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

OH YEAH? I'M FROM DETROIT(s suburbs)!
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/871384949.html

How can I pass this up? Guy said it has a dent in the fuel tank, and needs a turn signal fixed. Other than that, what would stop me from picking this thing up?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Trintintin posted:

Ironically I'm looking at the below r6 right now to fixup and upgrade too from my ex500. I've noticed the 500 is really middle ground where guys on hogs will still give me the motorcycle wave, and guys on sport bikes still ask if I can wheelie it and how fast it goes.

http://savannah.craigslist.org/mcy/869708562.html

My question is how much work goes into replacing all that says is needed in the add (new head because of bent valve)? I have the money for it and it has been on craigslist for awhile so I'm sure I could talk him down to about an even grand. I only have two concerns with it. One is that it is complete poo poo and I would end up reselling it after putting money into it and finding this out. The second is that I won't have the mechanical know how to fix it. I really don't know to much about mechanics but I learn quick and could figure it out if I found some sort of walk through. I could park it in my dorms parking spot with my 500 while fixing it.

TLDR; is the above bike trash or too much work for someone who isn't the master of mechanics.

Buy it, if can find an engine (cheap), and replace the engine.

However, it's not worth it if it'll be over 800$.

Count on it to stack up like this:

800$ for an engine. 200$ in assorted fluids, gaskets, replacing odds and ends. Does it need tires? poo poo, another 300$. Chain/sprocket? 150$. Tax, title? 200$. Oh, he neglected the registration while it was sitting? Another 200$.

All of the sudden, you have a 2500$ motorcycle, that you've just dumped countless hours into, and if you had spent a few hundred more initially, you could have had a really nice, clean one that you don't have to dick around with to get running.

I only go for stuff like that if the plastics are in immaculate condition, and I know that I can profit off of the parts that I know will be saleable. If you buy a crashed bike with a busted engine, replace the engine and discover that something is wrong with it, you're left with a poo poo bike that you just dropped a bunch of money on. If you buy a bike that's in great shape but the engine is toast, at least you can sell the plastics for 800-1500$, and recoup your costs like that.

My 250 is a good example of that: I knew that buying it for 200$ I could turn a profit no matter what, and I did. If he had been asking 400$? No way.

NVaderJ posted:

How can I pass this up? Guy said it has a dent in the fuel tank, and needs a turn signal fixed. Other than that, what would stop me from picking this thing up?

If it doesn't run. Otherwise, buy it.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 10, 2008

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
That's quite a list he has on a bike that's only 7 years old. I don't know what he's done to it, but it sounds like it's been absolutely trashed. I noticed he didn't mention how many miles are in it. Let's put it this way. My '77 GS400 has fewer problems than that bike. It's current state is in a couple boxes, and it looked like this when I got it.

NVaderJ posted:

If it doesn't need work, absolutely nothing. Go take a look at it in person.

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

I just talked to him. His email shows he's a trusted seller on a few auto parts forums. Everything on the bike works fine, but the fuel tank has a nasty dent, and the headlight "cup" is dented. I assume replacing a fuel tank is sort of easy, based on what I'm reading here on the internet.

Click here for the full 640x479 image.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
I got some more details, 12000 miles and a salvage title, so I'm going to pass on it. I might take the chance if I wasn't a poor college student but he won't budge from the $1200 and I don't see it being worth anymore than a grand. With that many things replaced it was thrashed on. Thanks for the help though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Trintintin posted:

I got some more details, 12000 miles and a salvage title, so I'm going to pass on it. I might take the chance if I wasn't a poor college student but he won't budge from the $1200 and I don't see it being worth anymore than a grand. With that many things replaced it was thrashed on. Thanks for the help though.

That is a very good decision.

NVaderJ,

Bike looks good. Replacement tanks may be hard to come by, especially in good, stock condition, but just buy it and ride it. gently caress cosmetics ;)

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

Z3n posted:

Bike looks good. Replacement tanks may be hard to come by, especially in good, stock condition, but just buy it and ride it. gently caress cosmetics ;)

Yeah, I'm basically of the same opinion, although he will throw in a tank from a V45 that almost fits. Whatever that means.

He also said the rear tire is dry-rotted, which is to be expected on a bike thats 24 years old with under 2k miles. How much can I expect to pay for a set of new tires? Front Tire 100/90-16, Rear Tire 130/90-18.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NVaderJ posted:

Yeah, I'm basically of the same opinion, although he will throw in a tank from a V45 that almost fits. Whatever that means.

He also said the rear tire is dry-rotted, which is to be expected on a bike thats 24 years old with under 2k miles. How much can I expect to pay for a set of new tires? Front Tire 100/90-16, Rear Tire 130/90-18.

Probably, when it's all said and done, around 300$ or so, give or take 50$, depending on your dealership. It looks like you plan on replacing both, which is what you need to do. Do not ride it, if at all possible, until you get new tires on it. I'd run pirelli sport demons, personally.

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

Picked up the Magna today, for $50 less than what was advertised. The owner included a trickle charger, replacement gas tank, replacement radiator shield, replacement turn signal, unused front tire, and a refurbished front wheel, disc included. It will need a little work here and there, but it runs, and I'm geeked.

What have I gotten myself into now.

What I'd like to replace first is the front fork stabilizer. The OE part was a flimsy little piece of aluminum. It sits between the front shocks, and according to Honda wasn't a load-bearing device. Nonetheless, lots and lots of Magna owners find this part cracked, and therefore want it replaced. Supposedly I can make one myself, but where I would find 3/16" aluminum is beyond me. I don't plan on putting on any serious riding miles until spring.

Update edit: This thing is fantastic. I can't wait to fix it up and get it on the road. I drove it up and down my subdivision a few times, and it is really smooth and powerful. It blows away the bikes I had to endure at the MSF testing.

NVaderJ fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 12, 2008

Burnt Out Case
Oct 2, 2006

the revolution begins with two wheels
I have been looking for a bike for a little bit and am a bit confused. I am a larger guy 6'5 and 260, and all of the "starter" bikes I have tried seem really small. I am looking for a bike I can ride with a passenger (eventually) over longer distances. I am leaning toward the bigger Harleys (I know), but if I could find a smaller bike that fit good that I could ride for a year that was cheap to gain experience on, I may do that. I have ridden some in the past but not extensively, and will be taking a safety class before buying anything. Also I live in LA and commute on the 405 daily. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Burnt Out Case posted:

I have been looking for a bike for a little bit and am a bit confused. I am a larger guy 6'5 and 260, and all of the "starter" bikes I have tried seem really small. I am looking for a bike I can ride with a passenger (eventually) over longer distances. I am leaning toward the bigger Harleys (I know), but if I could find a smaller bike that fit good that I could ride for a year that was cheap to gain experience on, I may do that. I have ridden some in the past but not extensively, and will be taking a safety class before buying anything. Also I live in LA and commute on the 405 daily. Any suggestions?

Grab a bigger UJM. The 650-750 range of KZ/GS/CB bikes should be large enough to fit you without getting you in too much trouble.