Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

Endless Mike posted:

He should have done this, then he's show up again, and he'd cut him in half again. Then make a joke about how many times you can cut someone in half.

I think Mythbusters proved it to be seven, but only under certain conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

Your loyal assistant Dr. Meowgon is all over this one.

KOraithER posted:

I think Mythbusters proved it to be seven, but only under certain conditions.

I think the basis of that experiment was about how many times you could fold somebody in half. I'm not sure there exist many limitations on cutting people in half.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Save Russian Jews posted:

But then there would be two "1 pt Maul, 3 pt Robot" things running about.

...which just makes me imagine a cyborg which just uses Maul's legs. It's a funny image.

Sinister_Manskirt
May 9, 2008

Save Russian Jews posted:

But then there would be two "1 pt Maul, 3 pt Robot" things running about.
No, check it out: there would be two halves, but since each half houses a different brain hemisphere...

Obi-Wan manages to grab the left half of the cyborg Maul, while whoever Maul is with grabs the right half. Both the Jedi and Sith manage to stabilize each half of Maul, and even build/grow a new half using the Emperor's cloning poo poo and/or a combination of nearly unheard-of Force powers.

However, since the right half gives rise to feelings and emotions and the left side to reason and logic, each half is uniquely suited to learn each side of the Force, having already started in the optimal "natural state." A showdown will be inevitable, naturally...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sinister_Manskirt posted:

No, check it out: there would be two halves, but since each half houses a different brain hemisphere...

Obi-Wan manages to grab the left half of the cyborg Maul, while whoever Maul is with grabs the right half. Both the Jedi and Sith manage to stabilize each half of Maul, and even build/grow a new half using the Emperor's cloning poo poo and/or a combination of nearly unheard-of Force powers.

However, since the right half gives rise to feelings and emotions and the left side to reason and logic, each half is uniquely suited to learn each side of the Force, having already started in the optimal "natural state." A showdown will be inevitable, naturally...

I would read that like, 20 times.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Sinister_Manskirt posted:

What about motor control and sensory processing?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I hope hermanos doesn't probate me for derailing this star-wars thread.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vincent posted:

Oh god, his face in the 2nd panel. It's completely :iamafag:. I got the last issue of this arc, because of the EPIC Krypto cover. I need to buy the first 3 though.

EDIT:

ManiacClown posted:

What about motor control and sensory processing?

He'd be a magic force robot. Just go with it, man.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Vincent posted:

Gah, what is this referencing (assuming I'm not imagining things)? It's driving me crazy.

JohnThermos
Dec 8, 2005

I CAN HAS USB NOW?

morestuff posted:

Gah, what is this referencing (assuming I'm not imagining things)? It's driving me crazy.

Click here for the full 508x702 image.

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

Magoo said that the "bird's the word"
But the Fur Byrd Gang flip birds on curbs

Vincent posted:

Bless you, child.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

That is so awesome on Krypto. Gonna direct my brother to your post.
What's the original on that? Because I never noticed (this will sound idiotic) that it was photoshopped so that the dog was actually wearing his shoes. I always thought only text was added and that they weren't the mailman's shoes that were on the ground. Never even thought the dog was wearing them

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SpelledBackwards posted:

That is so awesome on Krypto. Gonna direct my brother to your post.

What's the original on that? Because I never noticed (this will sound idiotic) that it was photoshopped so that the dog was actually wearing his shoes. I always thought only text was added and that they weren't the mailman's shoes that were on the ground. Never even thought the dog was wearing them

This was an old, old, old photoshop thread. The thread poster got a flyer on his door from the postal service. He scanned it and much fun was had. The posted image was the star of the thread, though there were at least a dozen superb images posted.

I think it made the SA frontpage, I should go look for the article.

Edit: I knew I wasn't crazy. Here it is
Part 1: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/comedy-goldmine/safety-message-from.php
Part 2: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/comedy-goldmine/safety-message-from-2.php
The image that spawned it all: http://images.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/cg05252004/Djarum.jpg

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 28, 2008

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Thanks! I mean, I knew it was from a way old Goldmined thread (thought it was older, actually), but I don't think I'd seen the actual USPS-issue notice ever.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

ConfusedUs posted:

This was an old, old, old photoshop thread. The thread poster got a flyer on his door from the postal service. He scanned it and much fun was had. The posted image was the star of the thread, though there were at least a dozen superb images posted.

I think it made the SA frontpage, I should go look for the article.

Edit: I knew I wasn't crazy. Here it is
Part 1: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/comedy-goldmine/safety-message-from.php
Part 2: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/comedy-goldmine/safety-message-from-2.php
The image that spawned it all: http://images.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/cg05252004/Djarum.jpg

That was one of my favorite photoshop threads (and the "give them back you are a dog" was my favorite one of all) but GOD drat, I'd never realized how many submissions there were for that.

Vincent, you rock

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Click here for the full 819x545 image.

I was going to do something like "Grant Morrison died and Jeff Loeb's taking over Final Crisis" but I think Loeb jokes are probably :regd08: enough already

Originally from Miller's Red Son Elseworld

Iggles fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 18, 2008

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think this moment was already ruined by the poor art, but this is the first thing that came to my mind when I read it.

Click here for the full 832x1290 image.

From X-Men Legacy 217, here's the original

Click here for the full 832x1290 image.

And this is what the edit was inspired by

Funny how just one badly drawn facial expression can ruin what is supposed to be a dramatic cliffhanger.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

Jerusalem posted:

I think this moment was already ruined by the poor art, but this is the first thing that came to my mind when I read it.

Yay! Sobek!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Someone really ought to do something with Marvel Boy's entrance in Secret Invasion #7. Just saying.

Zodberg
May 22, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Spoilers for New Avengers 46

https://wi.somethingawful.com/2f/2fa2c2d04d599328d37fbac7fc720c4d0779c184.jpg

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That's pretty good, but I can't help but think the Burger King would be an even better choice at the end there.

Nonetheless, it got a chuckle out of me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really like this, I guess he really does love us!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Let's see... about 6'4", black and completely fictional? I think we have our man.

And if there's anyone out there who can't understand how someone could like somebody like Venom, please reread those first three panels.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If Venom was always written as a guy who people were always completely afraid of, yet was completely oblivious to it, and would often become violent over small things and kill or maim the people he just saved, I would read a Venom monthly series. Too bad that he was just written as an uninteresting douchebag during the lethal protector years.

Zodberg
May 22, 2008

by Fistgrrl
New Avengers 46

Final Crisis 4

https://wi.somethingawful.com/09/0957d5c322aa278e82058616f8de69b9f7905dae.jpg

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

No wonder he's face started to change!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gavok posted:

Let's see... about 6'4", black and completely fictional? I think we have our man.

And if there's anyone out there who can't understand how someone could like somebody like Venom, please reread those first three panels.

Awesome.

I work at a photo studio and we ran a halloween promotion. Most of the people who came in were kids, but we had one family come in and do a crazy family photo in their costumes.

The mother dressed up as the crazy lady who carved a B into her face. It was glorious.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

TheJoker138 posted:

If Venom was always written as a guy who people were always completely afraid of, yet was completely oblivious to it, and would often become violent over small things and kill or maim the people he just saved, I would read a Venom monthly series. Too bad that he was just written as an uninteresting douchebag during the lethal protector years.

I don't mind Thunderbolts Venom at all.

"You didn't have to say that...about me not being fed"

"You ate a guy's arm, Mac"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MJBuddy posted:

I don't mind Thunderbolts Venom at all.

"You didn't have to say that...about me not being fed"

"You ate a guy's arm, Mac"

Yeah, I'm talking about the Brock version. I really enjoy the over the top, taking the implied cannibalism of classic Venom to the next level, Mac Gargan Venom a lot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

If he's 6'4", she's like 4'6".

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

They never said she wasn't.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Gavok posted:

I don't want to derail, but why did Venom become good and how did they reconcile it with him going all crazy and evil again? It just confuses me more as time goes on, because Venom(the parasite) is pretty much an irredeemable, uncontrollable monster at this point, but at some point he was willingly helping Brock to save lives and everything. Basically how did they make him good, and then bad again?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ace Rockhawk posted:

I don't want to derail, but why did Venom become good and how did they reconcile it with him going all crazy and evil again? It just confuses me more as time goes on, because Venom(the parasite) is pretty much an irredeemable, uncontrollable monster at this point, but at some point he was willingly helping Brock to save lives and everything. Basically how did they make him good, and then bad again?

The idea was that Venom was always "good", other than an irrational hatred of Spider-Man. "Good" in the sense that he wanted to slaughter people he saw as evil. Even the symbiote was shown to be a saint compared to its race (it was branded a traitor because it didn't want to control its host but coexist instead), but hated Spider-Man for rejecting it. So they did a story where Venom realized that Spider-Man wasn't really all that bad, sent him to San Francisco and gave him his own series.

The short of why he turned evil again, storywise, is because he was forced to work for the government and they hosed him over. In reality, it was part of the post-Clone Saga feel that everything Spider-Man should be rubber-banded back to normal.

I've just started a series of articles about a Venom retrospective, covering from his hero days to the present. So far I have the Prologue and Part One up.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

Gavok posted:

The idea was that Venom was always "good", other than an irrational hatred of Spider-Man. "Good" in the sense that he wanted to slaughter people he saw as evil. Even the symbiote was shown to be a saint compared to its race (it was branded a traitor because it didn't want to control its host but coexist instead), but hated Spider-Man for rejecting it. So they did a story where Venom realized that Spider-Man wasn't really all that bad, sent him to San Francisco and gave him his own series.

The short of why he turned evil again, storywise, is because he was forced to work for the government and they hosed him over. In reality, it was part of the post-Clone Saga feel that everything Spider-Man should be rubber-banded back to normal.

I've just started a series of articles about a Venom retrospective, covering from his hero days to the present. So far I have the Prologue and Part One up.

Not to derail or anything, but those two articles are very, very good. Also, they mirror my own entry in the comic-book world, so there's that as well. Short story: a friend of mine was drawing something, back in '95. It looked awesome, I thought. I asked what the hell it was, and got a pretty straightforward answer: "Venom". I got to a now-long-gone comic book store and found a collected paperback entitled "El Origen de Venom". The rest is history. So yeah, that symbiote freak has a special place in my heart as well.
P.S: the next time my dad went out of the country I had him look up and down for Maximum Carnage. To my 12-year-old delight, he got it for me. So dad, thanks for going around comic-book stores in another country for me, even though you never read comics :)

CitizenKrang
Jan 2, 2005
this town needs an enema
After reading Rage of the Red Lanterns, I couldn't resist doing this. Apologies for the sloppiness.

Click here for the full 640x960 image.

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

Magoo said that the "bird's the word"
But the Fur Byrd Gang flip birds on curbs

CitizenKrang posted:

After reading Rage of the Red Lanterns, I couldn't resist doing this. Apologies for the sloppiness.

Click here for the full 640x960 image.

Ha, even the thumbnail made me laugh.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I'm given to wonder whether pukecat will turn out to hate Mondays.

JohnThermos
Dec 8, 2005

I CAN HAS USB NOW?

Doom Mathematic posted:

I'm given to wonder whether pukecat will turn out to hate Mondays.

It is likely that all of the Red Lanterns hate every weekday.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

JohnThermos posted:

It is likely that all of the Red Lanterns hate every weekday.

No, they're so hate-filled the only day they like is Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Sick_Boy posted:

It looked awesome, I thought. I asked what the hell it was, and got a pretty straightforward answer: "Venom". I got to a now-long-gone comic book store and found a collected paperback entitled "El Origen de Venom". The rest is history. So yeah, that symbiote freak has a special place in my heart as well.

Did you missread "Come-pecados" as "comepescados" like I did?

• Locked thread