Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ice Blue posted:

I've only played the demo so far. Is the OL bar shared by all the characters? I remember in Abyss it was per character. Also can only one character at a time go into Overlimit?

One single bar, four levels, shared by all characters.
Theoretically, all four characters in your party can go into overlimit. It's actually a new mechanic; when you equip a certain number of Skills on a character, they gain an extra skill during Overlimit (be it added strength, defense, mobility and I'm guessing magic). So you could have it so Yuri gains extra strength during overlimit and Estelle gets extra defense.
Now, when you go into overlimit, any other character that is Overlimiting will also gain the other character's skill, so you can have both Yuri and Estelle with extra strength and defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
That's true also although I never managed to get any one of those symbols other than Fleck (the attack one) and even then only at the very end of the game. It's kinda hard with the limited SP you get on your first playthrough.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
A few of my friends and I tried to play through Tales of the Abyss, and we could not believe how bad the dialogue was. I began to wonder if it was actually satire of JRPGs because no one can possibly think that using the word "fonstone" four times in a single dialogue box is good writing. God, what a terrible game. It reminded me why I don't play JRPGs.

bleedbackwards fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 11, 2008

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Was anyone interested in the Tales of Symphonia sequel? It looks kinda lame and Sanders said it didn't have as many skits or story parts as other Tales games and the monster collecting looks stupid so I was probably going to skip it.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I was interested until I found out that the monsters are your main party, and that the other characters are just temporary guests in your party. That, and there's no world map, it just seems like it was rushed out. I'll wait for impressions, though.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, it definitely reeks of half hearted 'testing the Wii waters'. I'll wait till we get more info about the other Tales Wii game. :colbert:

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I'm not really interested in it, unless the story is really good. The graphics are pretty bad and the gameplay doesn't sound compelling. Maybe I'll pick it up a year or two later when it price drops.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Xythar posted:

Considering that it lets you spam your artes with zero charge/cooldown time (and thus, link anything to anything), use burst artes and mystic artes, and gives you unlimited TP at level 3 and invincibility at level 4 - yes, it definitely is. Overlimit basically breaks the game with Rita.

Plus, Yuri gets skills to AUTOMATICALLY go into a free overlimit depending on how many hits in a combo he has, and it has no limit so if you keep a combo running, you just go back into Overlimit after the requisite number of hits again. Why, just today, since I was bored, I figured out a way to do a 250+ hit combo with him just by abusing Divine Wolf- Blaze and his free-run attack that stands up fallen enemies. 700,000 damage on the final boss :iamafag:

Xythar posted:

That's true also although I never managed to get any one of those symbols other than Fleck (the attack one) and even then only at the very end of the game. It's kinda hard with the limited SP you get on your first playthrough.

The crest you got depended on the number and types of skills you equipped. The best one was when you equipped enough of every type of skill, it increased your time spent in Overlimit.but that one was really only possible in the high hundreds, or if you se all skills to 1 point in new game+

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

Late to the party, but man Tales of Vesperia is such a great game so far.

I'm in the Enduring Shrine of Zaude, which I'm starting to think may not be as close to the end as it seems. How much do I have left, sidequests aside?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Kegwen posted:

Late to the party, but man Tales of Vesperia is such a great game so far.

I'm in the Enduring Shrine of Zaude, which I'm starting to think may not be as close to the end as it seems. How much do I have left, sidequests aside?

5-10 hours maybe? There's about three more dungeons after Zaude.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Xythar posted:

5-10 hours maybe? There's about three more dungeons after Zaude.

In other words, an entire third of the game plus sidequests

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

Wow. That's a lot more than I'd expected. They were using end-of-game kind of language

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Kegwen posted:

Wow. That's a lot more than I'd expected. They were using end-of-game kind of language

Yeah, they even have one of those clichéd conversations before fighting the boss of that area ("I learned I want to protect the world because I care about my friends bla bla bla", stuff like that).

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

I was interested until I found out that the monsters are your main party, and that the other characters are just temporary guests in your party. That, and there's no world map, it just seems like it was rushed out. I'll wait for impressions, though.

I hear from pretty much everybody who played it that the first hour is absolutely awful, almost irredeemably so. It's bascially a huge tutorial.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, they even have one of those clichéd conversations before fighting the boss of that area ("I learned I want to protect the world because I care about my friends bla bla bla", stuff like that).

This is probably to make you believe that it was the end of the game, so the next part would come as a surprise.

God knows that boss fight at the end of the shrine might as well have been a final boss seeing as how much he enjoyed to throw around his Mystic Arte that was pretty much guaranteed to bring you down to nothing.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
So I just finished the scene where (Tales of the Abyss spoilers)Luke cuts his hair and has his big reformation scene. A few questions:

- When can I expect to fight Sword Dancer again? I know I already asked in this thread but I want to make absolutely sure I don't miss him.

- Is Asch going to be in my party again? If so, if I use a Lavender or any other stat-raising item on Asch, will it carry over to Luke?

- What the hell do Capacity Cores actually do? Do they add bonuses or just change your growth?

- Any other sidequests/optional bosses I should watch out for?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Heath posted:

So I just finished the scene where (Tales of the Abyss spoilers)Luke cuts his hair and has his big reformation scene. A few questions:

- When can I expect to fight Sword Dancer again? I know I already asked in this thread but I want to make absolutely sure I don't miss him.

- Is Asch going to be in my party again? If so, if I use a Lavender or any other stat-raising item on Asch, will it carry over to Luke?

- What the hell do Capacity Cores actually do? Do they add bonuses or just change your growth?

- Any other sidequests/optional bosses I should watch out for?

You should probably try to follow http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/929343/40529 Kouli's guide. There's a TON you can miss in this game, especially in regards to side-quests. Just follow the numbers in that guide (Sub Event #x, Sub Event #x+1, and make sure to get them all) and you should be fine.

The extra boss's second appearance is farther on, near the part with the snowy town. I think that's a while later.

Capacity Cores are NECESSARY to get a lot of the skills, as those are based on stat growth. They add bonuses, not change your growth.

I don't know for sure if those lavender's pass over, but I think they do.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Calaveron posted:

In other words, an entire third of the game plus sidequests

I wouldn't call Part 3 a third of the game though, it's about half the length of part 1 if that. It took me about 40 hours just to get to part 3.

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

Xythar posted:

I wouldn't call Part 3 a third of the game though, it's about half the length of part 1 if that. It took me about 40 hours just to get to part 3.

What, really? I'm in Zaude at a mere 31 hours

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Kegwen posted:

What, really? I'm in Zaude at a mere 31 hours

If you don't know what you're doing, and you're not high enough in levels, you'll definitely round that number up to a 40.

Fine, I'm exaggerating, but still. There's a couple of tough bosses in there and a fairly lengthy Gigantor Monster that's blocking a weapon for Estelle that grants her her Mystic Arte plus some nice armor, so you might have to consider running back to a town to restock on supplies before facing the final boss.

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

Yeah, I managed to kill that Gigantor, but I went through most of my items in the process. I ended up running out of basically all useful items in the next room with four characters dead and, due to the water level, I was stuck. Fun times.

Fortunately, I'd saved after I beat the Gigantor. I'm heading back in now.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Kegwen posted:

Yeah, I managed to kill that Gigantor, but I went through most of my items in the process. I ended up running out of basically all useful items in the next room with four characters dead and, due to the water level, I was stuck. Fun times.

Fortunately, I'd saved after I beat the Gigantor. I'm heading back in now.

That Giganto is actually pretty weak. The problem is that it deflects normal attacks like crazy. :kratos:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I liked Symphonia so I'm going to try to enjoy Dawn of the New World as best I can come tomorrow.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

That Giganto is actually pretty weak. The problem is that it deflects normal attacks like crazy. :kratos:

Which is the biggest problem in Zaude; running out of Orange Gels.
Also, those crab monsters are really loving strong. Sucks to get surrounded by them.
I've almost killed all GMs. I'm only missing Chimera Butterfly, Griffin, and Bruscis.
Karol's Valiant Swordsman title looks pretty cool, so looking forward to that.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Chunky12345 posted:

I liked Symphonia so I'm going to try to enjoy Dawn of the New World as best I can come tomorrow.

I'm hoping that, when it comes out, they'll finally finish talesrpg.com and let the people who bought the limited edition get their gift.

edit: Jokes on me, they did finish it! Still no gift though. :smith:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Calaveron posted:

Which is the biggest problem in Zaude; running out of Orange Gels.
Also, those crab monsters are really loving strong. Sucks to get surrounded by them.
I've almost killed all GMs. I'm only missing Chimera Butterfly, Griffin, and Bruscis.
Karol's Valiant Swordsman title looks pretty cool, so looking forward to that.

Uh, that costume makes him look like a goofy nerd

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

SpazmasterX posted:

Uh, that costume makes him look like a goofy nerd

This is the entire point of costumes for Karol.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Xythar posted:

This is the entire point of costumes for Karol.

His Golden Soldier outfit is a cool reference and it looks good. :colbert:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

His Golden Soldier outfit is a cool reference and it looks good. :colbert:

Reference to what?
Also, I wish the scene in Heliord with the girly dress was voiced.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Calaveron posted:

Reference to what?
Also, I wish the scene in Heliord with the girly dress was voiced.

Gilgamesh from Tower of Druaga. I do believe the Blue Crystal Rod is also a reference to it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

Gilgamesh from Tower of Druaga. I do believe the Blue Crystal Rod is also a reference to it.

Hasn't there been a Blue Crystal Rod/Blue Line Shield in every Namco game ever?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Hasn't there been a Blue Crystal Rod/Blue Line Shield in every Namco game ever?

What you should be observing is that Namco enjoy plugging their own games in every game they have ever made or published.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Xythar posted:

What you should be observing is that Namco enjoy plugging their own games in every game they have ever made or published.

Well, I think they're more like references rather than plugging.
I mean, they're not telling me "Blue Crystal Rod: Just like in the Tower of Druaga series found exclusively for X Console for $59.99", it's just a little blurb related somewhat to the game and that's it.
Kind of like how Kratos/Zelos's best equipment set in ToS was one big reference to Gilgamesh (if you equip the Blue Line Shield, Golden Armor, Golden Helm, and Hyper Boots you get the "Gilgamesh" title for Zelos).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I got ToS2 and the fact that Scott Menville doesn't do the voice of Lloyd makes me really sad. I'm not far in but the first one is one of my favorite RPG's so I'll try to enjoy this one (even though all I've heard about it is negative)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So, any further ToS2 impressions? I'm really debating whether to buy this game or not.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I wish they would localize Rebirth. Or at least I wish someone would make good use of these videos and release a patch. I have the game coming in a bundle soon so I guess I'm going to be referring back to these videos quite a bit. It isn't the first time I've played it.

Xythar posted:

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Calaveron posted:

So, any further ToS2 impressions? I'm really debating whether to buy this game or not.

As people have said, the first hour really drags, but the game does improve after that. For the protagonist, the focus seems to be on aerial combat, which is a nice touch. I've dropped about 16 hours into it and I can tell I'm about halfway done with the first major quest of the game. I'm pleased with the storyline, and the skits are generally very entertaining (don't skip any that involve Tenebrae; he's a hilarious dick).

I love the monster system, while accepting that it is gimmicky. The way I see it is that I loved Symphonia and I loved Pokemon, so I'm going to love this. I haven't been disappointed, though I did see this image, revealing that evolution is needlessly complicated (apologies for the quality):

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I agree entirely with IGN's review of TOS2 (6.7), and as they alluded to, if this is anyone's first Tales game, it would definitely turn them off of the series, or at the very least give them the wrong impression of what Tales is all about.

edit: and it's especially too bad because it isn't written in stone that direct Tales sequels like this have to be bad; Tales of Destiny 2 was awesome.

grantsnx
Mar 11, 2006
Forget Regret

Megalixir posted:

I wish they would localize Rebirth. Or at least I wish someone would make good use of these videos and release a patch. I have the game coming in a bundle soon so I guess I'm going to be referring back to these videos quite a bit. It isn't the first time I've played it.

I plan to play Rebirth after I finish playing through the Tales of Destiny PS2 remake. I hope Rebirth is as easy to understand. The battle system looks to be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Someone want to explain this to me?

Early on in Tales of the Abyss

fighting the robot on the boat

Melee attacks do like 2 - 10 dmg and he has 3k HP. Only thing that really hurts him is Jade so I eventually just run out of mana / items and can't do any damage to him at all.

EDIT: Nevermind, I discovered I could let Anise die, keep Tear on guard and manually make her heal me if I needed it, and let Jade use all his magic then do whatever while I attacked him with Luke since he is so easy to dodge, but when I realized how stupid long this was actually going to take, I quit and put it on normal and fought him. He has 1k less HP (reasonable) but instead of doing like 10 damage, Luke does 70-80 (what the gently caress). So he was a joke. No middleground, eh?

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 18, 2008