Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
^^ Don't worry, it will quickly attain a patina of grease, oil, rust, and (probably) blood, which as we all know, is a much better form of finish for any particular part of a garage than paint is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

leica posted:

Puting a computer on the bench too? If so be sure to take before/after pics of the greasy keyboard. :v:

I have an old G3 ibook for this purpose and its disgusting. I'm pretty sure its highly flammable at this point as well. Either way you really cant beat having the internet in your garage.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

8ender posted:

I have an old G3 ibook for this purpose and its disgusting. I'm pretty sure its highly flammable at this point as well. Either way you really cant beat having the internet in your garage.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823166084

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Those things are fragile as gently caress. I've broken 3 or 4 at this point.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Posting to say that I beat you to start up. HOW YOU LIKE THEM APPLES!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

frozenphil posted:

My motor swapped 323 has been running for months... :psyduck:

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

frozenphil posted:

Technically, I think Sock still has a shade under thirteen years to catch-up to your project, right?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

I was thinking more along the lines of a Model M keyboard and one of those plastic keycover thingies:

http://hooleon.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FS-0000&Category_Code=FS

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Sockington posted:

My motor swapped 323 has been running for months... :psyduck:
Pfft, details.

The Rocket Salad posted:

Technically, I think Sock still has a shade under thirteen years to catch-up to your project, right?

Why you wanna break my heart?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

frozenphil posted:

Pfft, details.

We still love you Philly.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
And if I say to you tomorrow,

Take my hand, child, come with me.

Its to a castle I will take you,

Where whats to be, they say will be.

catch the wind, see us spin,

Way up high in the sky.

But the wind wont blow, You really shouldnt go,

It only goes to show,

That you will be mine, By takin our time. ooh!

94.7 is doing top 94 Led Zeppelin songs this week. :rock:

Also went and bought some more 6ton jackstands and a nice propane heater for the garage. Good times.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 26, 2008

stipud
Oct 17, 2003

What Magnet? :v:
Booya Princess Auto! It's the ultimate Canadian Redneck Bazaar :banjo:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I hope you have bought your wife (girlfriend? fiance?) something nice, or else she is going to start getting angry about "you're spending all our money on car crap!"

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Please tell me about this turbo. I see Volvo, but which motor is it off, what trim? I assume it's bush bearing?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I hope you have bought your wife (girlfriend? fiance?) something nice, or else she is going to start getting angry about "you're spending all our money on car crap!"

I like to say I'm spening it on house stuff since clearly that kickass hammer drill can be used elsewhere in the house... but it will never leave the garage. :eng101:

Ackbarf posted:

Please tell me about this turbo. I see Volvo, but which motor is it off, what trim? I assume it's bush bearing?

It's a Mistubishi TD05-12b.

Not a TD05H.

This means, more top end than your standard DSM TD04 setup. However, it gives me a loving goofy rear end flange to mount the turbo to the manifold.

I'm currently divided about which to do;

a) I can just rebuild it, get the stupid raised lip Volvo flange (essentially T3 flange with this goofing mounting system), and then get my manifold made

b) Convert the TD05-12B to a different exhaust housing - ie, DSM TD05H turbine housing - and enjoy the much more straightforward outlet design. Still trying to figure out if I can do this properly. I might just have to deal with the stupid Volvo flanged hot side.

To be fair though, I'm only looking at about 7-8psi of boost on a 9:1 c/r 1.8L motor, so a monster turbo isn't exactly needed. Should give me plenty of top end to the 7200rpm redline where the TD04 would have started to run shy of flow (in stock form).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
DESCRIPTION
TD05/TD05H/TD06 Rebuild Kit
$89.00
Mits TD05/6 Heat Shield
$14.00

Ordered and on it's way. Should give me something to do once it gets here.

Also, orderd up the standard Volvo flange. It's a T3 flange, so if the TD05-12b fails, I can easily change over to a Garrett setup later if I'd like on the same custom manifold. :v:

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure
How hard is it to rebuild a turbo? I hear that if you don't get it just right, the rebuild won't last very long.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

ozziegt posted:

How hard is it to rebuild a turbo? I hear that if you don't get it just right, the rebuild won't last very long.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Turbo-rebuild.html

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Getting poo poo apart.

Cleaned up the housing a bit.

Also, ordered a bushing kit for my 323, so I'll have some poo poo to do in the off time.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Sockington posted:

This means, more top end than your standard DSM TD04 setup. However, it gives me a loving goofy rear end flange to mount the turbo to the manifold.

Standard procedure for swapping out a Mitsubishi turbo for a Garrett in the Volvo community is to simply take their manifold to a machine shop and have the raised lip made flat. I still believe the Mitsubishi would seal if for some reason you had to change it back, but you would have the whole T3/T4 range to select from.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sockington posted:

Also, wtf winter.

Pfft, that's all the snow you have so far?

Not even December yet and look at this poo poo.

:smithicide:

VVVV you suck

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 27, 2008

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
Here's how December is looking to shape up for us over here..

Enjoy the cold, suckaz.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I hope she's wearing sunscreen, I got burnt in 10 minutes flat the other day.

King no one
Aug 26, 2000
Forum Veteran
Nice, I had no idea you were from Ontario until I saw power fist and looked at the plates on the 323. Judging by the size of your place you don't live in Toronto though :(

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

King no one posted:

Nice, I had no idea you were from Ontario until I saw power fist and looked at the plates on the 323. Judging by the size of your place you don't live in Toronto though :(

I think he said he was in the Sarn.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

I think he said he was in the Sarn.

I now live in a remote suburb of Sarnia.

Anywho, we just got put on 8hour shifts until the end of the week (with the chance of a weekend off!), so I'll have some more time to putt around the garage in the coming days. :v:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 5, 2009

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
This is where my cars go to die.

However, I do feel like saving the MR2 today!

Keep on truckin'

Offloaded and sitting awkwardly like 3' in the air. But at home.

Tomorrow, I'll push it into the garage and put it 3' back in the air.

Oh, and that trailer certainly is getting it's limits pushed hauling cars. gently caress.

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Sockington posted:

This is where my cars go to die.

However, I do feel like saving the MR2 today!

Keep on truckin'

Offloaded and sitting awkwardly like 3' in the air. But at home.

Tomorrow, I'll push it into the garage and put it 3' back in the air.

Oh, and that trailer certainly is getting it's limits pushed hauling cars. gently caress.

Sounds like it's time for a new trailer!!! Don't know how you can get an excuse for that. I suggest just using the Irish explanation method when you go to tell the wife you bought a 43' box trailer to haul cars in. Get drunk, smack her around, make babies, get drunk again.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Sockington posted:

Rebuild it like you did that workbench and you could haul trucks

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

frozenphil posted:

Vampire. Crave blood.

poisoned pie posted:

Tits or GTFO.

Raganti
Sep 25, 2007
I AM TO CHEAP TO BUY AN ACCOUNT!
Sock, I might have said this before but your thread is by far my favorite thread on AI. Even if we are currently talking about garages and workbenches and not cars. :mmmhmm:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Raganti posted:

Even if we are currently talking about garages and workbenches and not cars. :mmmhmm:

EXCUSE me?

You know how much of a pain in the rear end it was to load the car on a trailer that small! The trailer's deck measures 71" x 11'. The MR2's wheelbase measures 68"x 10.5'.

Let me tell you about awkward loading/unloading. To get it on, I chained the rear end end of the car to the forklift, and up she went. However, realizing all my sweet 6-ton jackstands are at home rather than my dad's shop, it became wood-block time.

So, imagine my MR2 sitting three feet off the ground, on wood blocks, while I try and back the trailer under it. The forklift was certainly involved.

Unloading was equally fun. I'll grab a picture when the sun comes up (it's only 7am). I tow-strapped the MR2 to the 323 and slowly pulled the MR2 until the front wheels towards the edge of the trailer. Then, two jackstands under the front of the car and keep tension on the front tow strap.

Then the super akward bit of driving the trailer out from under the car while slipping more/adjusting current jackstands to keep the car from falling.

Basically - I need to buy/build myself a tow-dolly. This will require a welder though, so I'll build it after I run more power out to the garage and buy a kickass mig pack. :clint:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

poisoned pie posted:

Here's how December is looking to shape up for us over here..

Enjoy the cold, suckaz.

dont ya just love the southern Hemisphere. gently caress frozen winters!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Sockington posted:

Unloading was equally fun. I'll grab a picture when the sun comes up (it's only 7am). I tow-strapped the MR2 to the 323 and slowly pulled the MR2 until the front wheels towards the edge of the trailer. Then, two jackstands under the front of the car and keep tension on the front tow strap.

Then the super akward bit of driving the trailer out from under the car while slipping more/adjusting current jackstands to keep the car from falling.

How it was.

Warmed up the garage for a bit... and myself.

Shut off the heat, opened the door, and pushed it into it's home for the next couple months.

Then I swept the garage, cleaned up around the car and put it back on the 6ton stands. I've got plenty of work room under the car now.

The sad news is I found some previous (and poorly) done body work. Lots of damage behind the rear wheels on both sides.

The good news is, this gives me the chance to justify getting some kickass welding equipment with the wifey!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Seriously- gently caress wrenching in the snow!

Im trying to find an airconditioner for my shed at the moment!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I found some serious rust issues in the driver's side wheel well after removing some of the splash guards. It's beginning to look like the 240sx all over again - I'm not even kidding.

He told me it had some professional body work done to it. True, it was most likely done by a shop, but not to the quality that he thinks they did. I found a couple chunks of fibreglass filler behind both rear wheels.

Also, the floor is completely clean from the oil coatings he did. However, there is some serious rust where the oil wasn't sprayed. There must be like a three foot seam between the bottom of the wheel well and the unibody that's rusted out.

At this point I'm deciding whether strip this fucker down, see how bad it REALLY is, then decide what to do.

I think I may have finally hit a road block in this thread. I really liked the MR2, but I'd definitely not call it safe to drive anymore. :smith:

gently caress.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
They say pictures are worth a thousand words. These are tears people. Tears.

This is the passenger rear. Under the side skirt, where water (rust) collects.

Driver's rear.

Yeah. I think that was pretty much it for the MR2. I feel like poo poo.

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
Oh wow that really sucks :(

I was looking forward to your work on the Mr2, I really enjoyed the stuff you did on the 4AGZE for it.

Unfortunately with the AW11s once the rust starts it doesn't stop. Mine is pretty much rust free being a NZ new example, which is why I held onto it all these years.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
God drat it :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ub818
Feb 19, 2003
Yuv goat tae huv a go!
Aw, gently caress. :(

Is it going to be the abort button or will you endure hell to do something with it?

• Locked thread