Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Did they ever roll out that new UI? I've been thinking about getting a Tivo when I move in 6 months, instead of a TWC DVR, but the interface looks really old and dated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

metachronos posted:

Did they ever roll out that new UI? I've been thinking about getting a Tivo when I move in 6 months, instead of a TWC DVR, but the interface looks really old and dated.

It's still pretty much the same with a few upgrades like folders and whatnot if you haven't used it in a while. Still, you are unfavorably comparing the Tivo interface to a cableco DVR interface?!

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Dogen posted:

It's still pretty much the same with a few upgrades like folders and whatnot if you haven't used it in a while. Still, you are unfavorably comparing the Tivo interface to a cableco DVR interface?!

Does the Tivo have a program guide similar to the one used on most cableco DVRs? I couldn't find any pics of it online.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

metachronos posted:

Does the Tivo have a program guide similar to the one used on most cableco DVRs? I couldn't find any pics of it online.

There's two options; the TiVo grid, which is the best thing on Earth, and your regular "six channels, three hours each" version. You can switch between them as you see fit. The TiVo one is way better, though.

TiVo finally has a mobile site! http://m.tivo.com is super-fast and works and loving FINALLY.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 25, 2008

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Deathlove posted:

There's two options; the TiVo grid, which is the best thing on Earth, and your regular "six channels, three hours each" version. You can switch between them as you see fit. The TiVo one is way better, though.

And you can use filters, like movies only and stuff.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Deathlove posted:

TiVo finally has a mobile site! http://m.tivo.com is super-fast and works and loving FINALLY.

Holy. Crap. Awesome.

Edit: You can't manage your current shows or passes, but you can add new shows pretty easily. Sweet. Works well on my G1.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I've had a Tivo forever, and I sure do like my Series 2 DT. But all the web stuff is so slow and kind of half-assed. Like there is lots of lag, and the backgrounds look like crap. Does it work better on the HD models?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

smackfu posted:

I've had a Tivo forever, and I sure do like my Series 2 DT. But all the web stuff is so slow and kind of half-assed. Like there is lots of lag, and the backgrounds look like crap. Does it work better on the HD models?

What kind of web stuff?

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

chemosh6969 posted:

What kind of web stuff?
The YouTube interface is dog-rear end slow on my HD unit. I think they're proxying the content somehow, maybe to convert the videos that aren't available in H.264.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Well, the TiVo box does have a relatively meager 300mhz CPU. I think it works fine. It plays my podcasts fine, anyways. :shobon:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

chemosh6969 posted:

What kind of web stuff?
The Amazon stuff, the new VOD stuff, all the web services from Yahoo.

Even some of the "built-in" stuff like the swivel search is laggy. It seems like maybe they are using an interpreted language or something for the newer screens and the CPU just can't keep up.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

complex posted:

Holy. Crap. Awesome.

Edit: You can't manage your current shows or passes, but you can add new shows pretty easily. Sweet. Works well on my G1.

Yeah, I'm waiting for web access to completely control the TiVo, instead of just viewing stuff ([url]https://[/url]<tivo IP address>, login: tivo password: your Media Access Key). Seems like a no-brainer to allow it, but I guess they want to have SOME control for whatever reason.

smackfu posted:

Eh, a little, not much, though. Amazon is better than the rest, for whatever reason.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 27, 2008

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

When will be able to stream netflix to the tivo? I thought it was December but I didn't see anything added pertaining to Netflix in the tivo menus.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

kri kri posted:

When will be able to stream netflix to the tivo? I thought it was December but I didn't see anything added pertaining to Netflix in the tivo menus.

All they've said is "December". Sign up at http://www.tivo.com/netflix and maybe you'll get it early...

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2008-12/netflix-arrives-on-tivo-today/

quote:

Hot on the heels of a system software update, and as promised, TiVo Series 3, HD, and HD XL subscribers who also partake in an unlimited Netflix plan will be able to stream a wide variety of video content at no additional cost

:neckbeard:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yay watching now. The quality looks the same as the computer versions.

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet
My biggest tivo problem is channel changing. My sattelite box doesn't have a serial output, so I have to use the IR blasters. I'd say about 1-5 times I change a channel it goes to the wrong one. I refuse to have a big piece of foil over it.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Deadpan Science posted:

My biggest tivo problem is channel changing. My sattelite box doesn't have a serial output, so I have to use the IR blasters. I'd say about 1-5 times I change a channel it goes to the wrong one. I refuse to have a big piece of foil over it.

Foil over the ir changers? Like a bubble of sorts? I got a new cable box that sucks like this.

I have a feeling if I could slow down the channel change, it would work fine but they changed the menu so I don't know how to do it now.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Deadpan Science posted:

It doesn't have to be foil -- anything that'll block IR will do it. But the only way to guarantee you never have a channel change screwed up by stray IR is to block the stray IR. Otherwise, sooner or later the TiVo will try to flip the channels on the satellite box while you're doing something else on another component and wham, bad channel change.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Does anyone know if there's a more defined date for when the new DirectTV HD Tivos will be around? I am champing at the bit for this, and the CSR I talked to last night just said "Early 2009". Cannot wait to get back to Tivosity.

4 years of a Tivo HR10-250 and I missed one program due to tivo error.

6 months of using the DTV HR-21 DVR and I've missed about 5 programs due to DVR fuckups, including last night's Monday Night Football.

:argh:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I thought they were saying later on next year, so I would be surprised anyone would say early 2009

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah - my initial thinking was that it would be offered around the time that NFL sunday ticket starts up in the late summer/early fall, but the CSR saying "Early" made me wonder if that was just him making stuff up or if anyone knew anything else I hadn't heard.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

My Tivo and PS3 are in different rooms - would there be a way to watch tivo stuff on my PS3? I have a Windows Home Server that is always on if that could be the intermediate step.

vvv Thanks you are awesome

kri kri fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 17, 2008

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Have Windows Media Player setup so it shares folders to the PS3.

Share your Tivo folder.

Use Tivo Desktop to download shows you want.

Use DirectShow Dump to convert them to mpeg files.

PS3 can play these files.

That's about as easy as it's going to get.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

chemosh6969 posted:

Have Windows Media Player setup so it shares folders to the PS3.

Share your Tivo folder.

Use Tivo Desktop to download shows you want.

Use DirectShow Dump to convert them to mpeg files.

PS3 can play these files.

That's about as easy as it's going to get.

This is badass - is there any tool that does comskip as well? Also the DSD program isn't saving my settings.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

kri kri posted:

This is badass - is there any tool that does comskip as well? Also the DSD program isn't saving my settings.

Haven't found a comskip program.

Which settings are you talking about?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

chemosh6969 posted:

Haven't found a comskip program.

Which settings are you talking about?

The watch folder - I set it and then when I re-enter the program it is missing. Is there a certain version I should be using?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

kri kri posted:

The watch folder - I set it and then when I re-enter the program it is missing. Is there a certain version I should be using?

I've never tried using watch or even knew what it did. I always did it manually. If you haven't figured it out by tonight, I'll try it when I get home.

edit: I'm wondering if you just have to keep the program on the entire time. Since it supports command line, I also wonder if it could be set as a service.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 18, 2008

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I found VideoRedo, but thats a $50 program. Is there anything that can convert to a PS3 preset? I wonder if I could get something like MeGui to work on it.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

http://www.prish.com/etivo/

Seems to do stuff automatically and has a divx decoder.

edit: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48
looks to be the place to go for this sort of thing.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 18, 2008

drchipotle
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone here have experience upgrading the Series 2 harddrive themselves? I was going to try this, but wanted to know what i'm getting into.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Just a heads up to anyone who has a Tivo, 360, and netflix- the netflix on the tivo is way better than netflix on the 360: seems to always get a better signal, and it has a better interface overall.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Dogen posted:

Just a heads up to anyone who has a Tivo, 360, and netflix- the netflix on the tivo is way better than netflix on the 360: seems to always get a better signal, and it has a better interface overall.

That's cool, I never tried with my 360. The one problem I find is sometimes the screen is blank at the beginning of a video but if I rewind it's fine. I've also noticed that depending on how hard their server is hit, video can stop a lot. That happened a few times after the service first started.

Overall, I'd say my roku box works better.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been happy with Netflix streaming so far, it's a little annoying to not ba able to add movies through the Tivo but I can't complain otherwise.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

chemosh6969 posted:

That's cool, I never tried with my 360. The one problem I find is sometimes the screen is blank at the beginning of a video but if I rewind it's fine. I've also noticed that depending on how hard their server is hit, video can stop a lot. That happened a few times after the service first started.

Overall, I'd say my roku box works better.

Is the quality any better? We've been watching Friday Night Lights, which streams in HD, and for the most part it is totally watchable, but when there are low light scenes or scenes with large planes of greyish color there are artifacts ahoy. It's like watching a badly compressed rip of a TV show, or something, which is I guess exactly what it is. The quality (aka signal strength) always seems to be full on, unlike the 360 which randomly degrades the quality throughout a show for no reason, but it still looks kind of meh sometimes.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

drchipotle posted:

Does anyone here have experience upgrading the Series 2 harddrive themselves? I was going to try this, but wanted to know what i'm getting into.

I've done it three times, not for a few years, though. If you can swap a hard drive and follow written instructions, you'll be fine.

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/index9.html is what I followed way back in the day.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Dogen posted:

Is the quality any better? We've been watching Friday Night Lights, which streams in HD, and for the most part it is totally watchable, but when there are low light scenes or scenes with large planes of greyish color there are artifacts ahoy. It's like watching a badly compressed rip of a TV show, or something, which is I guess exactly what it is. The quality (aka signal strength) always seems to be full on, unlike the 360 which randomly degrades the quality throughout a show for no reason, but it still looks kind of meh sometimes.

Let's just say I've never had a time when Roku had lower quality than my Tivo. It's always been equal or above. One night the video kept stopping every few seconds to adjust the quality on my tivo. Not only did it keep doing that, but it kept choosing a lovely quality. I switched to roku, it found a good quality, and I finished the rest of the thing in peace.

Most of the tivo issues were during the first week or so and it seems to have gotten better. I'll give it another week before I move the roku box to the bedroom.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

chemosh6969 posted:

Let's just say I've never had a time when Roku had lower quality than my Tivo. It's always been equal or above. One night the video kept stopping every few seconds to adjust the quality on my tivo. Not only did it keep doing that, but it kept choosing a lovely quality. I switched to roku, it found a good quality, and I finished the rest of the thing in peace.

Most of the tivo issues were during the first week or so and it seems to have gotten better. I'll give it another week before I move the roku box to the bedroom.

I've spent a lot of time over the past couple of days watching Friday Night Lights with my wife and it's never given me any of that readjustment garbage; actually, what you are describing seems similar to what I went through with the 360 during the first week or two of the streaming.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just called Time Warner in NYC to set up a cableCARD, and they told me that they will only provide cards for a handful of specific Tivo models (not including mine). Now what? Go argue at the service center? Call back and lie about the model number to get the tech to show up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

sex offendin Link posted:

I just called Time Warner in NYC to set up a cableCARD, and they told me that they will only provide cards for a handful of specific Tivo models (not including mine). Now what? Go argue at the service center? Call back and lie about the model number to get the tech to show up?

According to this thread
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=316313

quote:

Use model # TCD648250B

• Locked thread