Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Ah, poo poo.

AICN posted:

Joss Whedon’s first new TV series since 2003, “Dollhouse,” originally to share Monday nights with “24” starting at midseason, will now air Fridays, where (unless I’m forgetting something) Fox hasn’t been able to launch a successful sci-fi series since 1993's “The X-Files.”

loving God drat son of a whore gently caress. I've been taking Fox's side on this, saying to myself "It won't be like last time", and IT loving IS SO FAR.

EDIT: They're moving Terminator there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ah, Fridays: Where Sci-Fi shows go to die.

PurpleTowel
Jan 7, 2004
edit; gently caress, I meant to respond to the post about the pilot

The moment that won me over to Firefly (and made fall in love with Nathan Fillion) was the very end of the battle scene. When he stares out at the alliance troop ships, the look on his face and in his eyes is just...perfect. So utterly crestfallen and broken. Nathan just poured SO much of Mal into that short instant, and it really hit me hard.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

At this point, I'm really looking forward to the Dollhouse DVDs, with the commentaries, behind-the-scenes looks at stuff, and the extra episodes that Fox didn't air before canceling the show.

That box set is gonna rock.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

DivisionPost posted:

Ah, poo poo.

loving God drat son of a whore gently caress. I've been taking Fox's side on this, saying to myself "It won't be like last time", and IT loving IS SO FAR.

EDIT: They're moving Terminator there too.
Classic battered wife syndrome. :(

Man, I thought Fox was pimping this show from the way Whedon was talking about how it's a "totally new Fox! I wonder if Joss wanting more time to re-do the episodes or whatever he did had anything to do with the new timeslot? With his luck they'll play the 4th episode first.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
I am very sad they're showing this on Friday. I swear to god, if Dollhouse conflicts with BSG, I will cry.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You'd think he'd have learned.

God drat, Fox. Why you always gotta' suck so bad?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Count Choculitis posted:

I am very sad they're showing this on Friday. I swear to god, if Dollhouse conflicts with BSG, I will cry.

I thought BSG usually ran at 10 PM? Dollhouse would be on at 9.

EDIT: Oh, gently caress me, this'll turn a few frowns upside down!

Joss Whedon posted:

Patton Oswalt is on my f%#&ing show! I wrote a part with him in mind and now he speaketh it! Credit goes to Marti Noxon, who sent me the album with him meeting George Lucas in it, for getting him stuck in my head. And he’s rockin’ the drama. Patton. I call him that.

http://whedonesque.com/?comments=17968

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 7, 2008

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

DivisionPost posted:

I thought BSG usually ran at 10 PM? Dollhouse would be on at 9.

Phew! Wasn't sure about the timeslot for Dollhouse. Thanks. :)

Friendly Geek
Aug 11, 2005
Your friendly neighborhood geek. Friendly and/or geeky since 1982.
That's truly sucky news. Why do they do such lovely things to Joss's shows? I don't understand.

On a random sidenote: I met Joss today in New York City. (Don't know what he was doing here, was fangirling too much to ask anything.) He was completely gracious and sweet. We've picked a fabulous man to adore, my friends. He's just as awesome in person. I really wish I had been less fangirly so I could have asked him about Dollhouse, and things I've always wanted to know about in his other series.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
This may seem like a strange request, but does anyone know where I could find the box for the Buffy Complete Series set? I don't want the dvds themselves, I'd just like to order the empty box that holds them. I already have all the dvds from the original releases and would rather they take up less space on my shelf.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

qbert posted:

This may seem like a strange request, but does anyone know where I could find the box for the Buffy Complete Series set? I don't want the dvds themselves, I'd just like to order the empty box that holds them. I already have all the dvds from the original releases and would rather they take up less space on my shelf.

You'd need the digipak cases for the disks too. I don't believe it's sold separately. Your best bet is to call/email whoever publishes the DVD set and ask politely if they'll sell just the packaging to you.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
ATTENTION JOSS WHEDON GOONS

The Buffy complete series box set is only $69.99 on Amazon.com.

That's loving right. loving 10 bucks per loving season.

The regular price is around $180. It's been known to go as low as $100 for 1 day specials, but I was loving astonished to see it get this low. This is exactly what I was waiting for.

Snatch this poo poo up now, because I have no clue how long it's going to last.

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO!!!

Just remember that poonchasta loving loves each and every one of you.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hmm. Just in time for the season of ritual giftgiving. I think I'll pick up a copy.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

poonchasta posted:

ATTENTION JOSS WHEDON GOONS

I took advantage of this and got it today. Just re-watched the pilot for the first time since I was eleven. Man, this show got a cheesy start didn't it? It was pretty good, but very different from what the show eventually became. Seventy bucks is a steal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For Angel actor watchers, Christian Kane (aka Lindsey) is going to be on the new TNT show Leverage.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
Is there anyone that worked for Wolfram & Hart that that show won't hire?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Wolfram & Hart are also a talent agency, apparently. But I guess that makes sense.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
According to Australia's Herald-Sun newspaper, it's possible that Fox is so green with envy over Twilight and the vampire craze they think the time's right to resurrect Buffy the Vampire Slayer. They also say that a feature script Joss wrote is currently making the rounds.

Pretending this isn't a load of horseshit...is really hard to do. Really, really hard. I'll just say that if it's not, and this is being seriously considered, it's going to be drat near impossible for Joss Whedon to do whatever would need to be done here. He thought it was bad working for Fox television? Tom Rothman has the sort of respect for genre film that a frat boy with abandonment issues has for a stripper. Keep an eye on Whedonesque, this might be ridiculous enough for Joss to shoot down personally.

EDIT: Or maybe not, as even those guys are calling bullshit.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 29, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Woo hoo, the Dr. Horrible DVD is available for pre-order on Amazon.com, and due out December 19th! It's going to be a horrible Christmas! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M5UDGS

Akalies
May 31, 2000

poonchasta posted:

drat, looks like this expired. To bad, that was a steal of a deal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DivisionPost posted:

According to Australia's Herald-Sun newspaper, it's possible that Fox is so green with envy over Twilight and the vampire craze they think the time's right to resurrect Buffy the Vampire Slayer. They also say that a feature script Joss wrote is currently making the rounds.

Pretending this isn't a load of horseshit...is really hard to do. Really, really hard. I'll just say that if it's not, and this is being seriously considered, it's going to be drat near impossible for Joss Whedon to do whatever would need to be done here. He thought it was bad working for Fox television? Tom Rothman has the sort of respect for genre film that a frat boy with abandonment issues has for a stripper. Keep an eye on Whedonesque, this might be ridiculous enough for Joss to shoot down personally.

EDIT: Or maybe not, as even those guys are calling bullshit.

We all know it won't ever happen. Boreanaz has a steady paycheck and probably doesn't care about Angel anymore and we all know Gellar's a total bitch.

Snord
Mar 5, 2002

We hugged it out, but I was still a little angry.

Akalies posted:

drat, looks like this expired. To bad, that was a steal of a deal.

Mine just came today. :dance:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

We all know it won't ever happen. Boreanaz has a steady paycheck and probably doesn't care about Angel anymore and we all know Gellar's a total bitch.

Actually, I don't know that Sarah Michelle Gellar is a total bitch. I have seen it referred to more than once in these relevant threads but I have yet to have either solid or anecdotal evidence that she is anything other than a total bitch. Please for to be schooling me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rejutka posted:

Actually, I don't know that Sarah Michelle Gellar is a total bitch. I have seen it referred to more than once in these relevant threads but I have yet to have either solid or anecdotal evidence that she is anything other than a total bitch. Please for to be schooling me.

There was a Buffy Season 8 planned and as far as I know she bailed out and that lead to changes for season 7.

She was the only cast member to skip the wrap party and if memory serves she skipped the reunion as well.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
and both the games, and even that little cartoon thing we saw a few months back.

I never heard about season 8 though. The show ended after 7, and it ended everything. It didn't feel like it was put away quickly, it felt like it was meant to happen.

Friendly Geek
Aug 11, 2005
Your friendly neighborhood geek. Friendly and/or geeky since 1982.

Rhyno posted:

There was a Buffy Season 8 planned and as far as I know she bailed out and that lead to changes for season 7.

She was the only cast member to skip the wrap party and if memory serves she skipped the reunion as well.

She was at the reunion that they had a few months ago. I'm not sure which reunion you're referring to, though.

Oxygen Frog
May 11, 2005

A specter is haunting Europa

Rhyno posted:

And I don't recall her doing a single interview or commentary on the Buffy DVDs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She can't hate it that much, she did the parody short on Robot Chicken a couple of seasons ago where she played herself/Buffy.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

She can't hate it that much, she did the parody short on Robot Chicken a couple of seasons ago where she played herself/Buffy.

That may have been as a favor to Seth Green though. I think she's pretty good friends with him, as he was her "date" to some Buffy thing, maybe the Paley festival? Can't remember at the moment.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Oxygen Frog posted:

And I don't recall her doing a single interview or commentary on the Buffy DVDs.

That's one thing that stuck out to me watching the special features on the Chosen Collection DVDs.

No matter how many panels/discussion groups/reunions there are, almost everybody who mattered showed up.. except Sarah Michelle Gellar.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Spaceboy posted:

That's one thing that stuck out to me watching the special features on the Chosen Collection DVDs.

No matter how many panels/discussion groups/reunions there are, almost everybody who mattered showed up.. except Sarah Michelle Gellar.

My understanding is that she and Joss had a falling out, and they only just reconciled in time for the Paley fest.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I just finished watching the final season of Buffy. I had never watched a whole lot of it, just some episodes here and there, because when it aired I didn't have a TV all the time. Plus, I find watching shows when they air annoying at best, with all the commercials and waiting a week for the next one and what have you. DVDs make it so much easier.

Anyway, I've now finished it, and I pretty much loved it. Definitely one of the best series I've ever seen.

Question is now: should I watch Angel as well ? I've seen even less of Angel than I had of Buffy, so I don't really know if I'll like it. Is the first season representative of the whole series ? I could get the first season, and if I like it, I'd get the other 4 all at once. Good idea ?

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump

uXs posted:

Question is now: should I watch Angel as well ?

Yes.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

uXs posted:

Question is now: should I watch Angel as well ?

God yes. Ask a fair amount of Buffy-verse fans, and you'll find a fair amount of people that say that Angel was the superior series.

Granted, I still say that season 4 is incredibly AWFUL, but it's no worse than Buffy season 7.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Psimitry posted:

God yes. Ask a fair amount of Buffy-verse fans, and you'll find a fair amount of people that say that Angel was the superior series.

Granted, I still say that season 4 is incredibly AWFUL, but it's no worse than Buffy season 7.

Well, I kind of liked season 7. The potentials were annoying at times, but I found Andrew rather funny. All in all a good end to the series.

What I dislike most were episodes or arcs where Buffy is being attacked from behind, like when CPS wants to take Dawn away, or when she's desperately out of money. (Actually, that never made a whole lot of sense to me: why the hell should the Slayer work at a fastfood restaurant ? She should just be given enough money to not have to work, so she'd be able to concentrate on keeping her fighting skills up.)

But this isn't really specific to Buffy, I have the same issue with, for example, the Tritter arc in House. Assholes who aren't good enough to lick the boots or the show's main characters and are still able to mess up their lives. :argh: (I can stand it a lot more when they fight with their friends, because they've earned it. Doesn't mean they're not ungrateful bastards, but still.)

All right then. I'll (try to) get my hands on season 1 of Angel, and order the others when I find I like it, which is pretty likely. Thanks.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just be warned Angel Season 1 gets off to a rocky start, just like Buffy Season 1. There are lots of cheesy stand-alone "monster of the week" episodes, but toward the end of the season, it starts shaping up into a cohesive series. Seasons 2-4 are all solid, and practically one giant mega-story arc, and Season 5 is my favorite season of any TV show, ever.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Just be warned Angel Season 1 gets off to a rocky start, just like Buffy Season 1. There are lots of cheesy stand-alone "monster of the week" episodes, but toward the end of the season, it starts shaping up into a cohesive series. Seasons 2-4 are all solid, and practically one giant mega-story arc, and Season 5 is my favorite season of any TV show, ever.

Pretty much. I think that you can probably count all the stand-alones in seasons 3-4 on one hand. aside from 13 episodes per season shows like Rome I can't think of any other series that I can say that about.
Season 5 does seem to go back to season 1 format for roughly the first half though, but it goes back to full blown awesomeness soon enough.

SprintingOnIce
Jan 10, 2005
life out of balance

PurpleTowel posted:

edit; gently caress, I meant to respond to the post about the pilot

The moment that won me over to Firefly (and made fall in love with Nathan Fillion) was the very end of the battle scene. When he stares out at the alliance troop ships, the look on his face and in his eyes is just...perfect. So utterly crestfallen and broken. Nathan just poured SO much of Mal into that short instant, and it really hit me hard.

I can't decide when I fell in love with firefly. Here's a few moments that probably did it.

"You're out of time doctor...Kaylee's dead."

":lol:"

Alliance agent: Alright, nobody move or I'll... *gets shot in face*

Lund: I said you're a coward and a piss-pot. Now what are you gonna do about it?
Mal: [smiles] Nothing. I just wanted you to face me so she could get behind you.
*whack*

Mal: We're still flying.
Simon: That's not much.
Mal: It's enough.

Mal: Use of a s-what?

Inara: Right, you're a criminal mastermind! What was the last cargo we snuck past the Alliance to transport?
Mal: That was a little dif—
Inara: What was the cargo?
Mal: [pauses, embarrassed] They were dolls.
Inara: They were little geisha dolls with big heads that wobbled!
Mal: Hey! People love those!

Simon: Are you Alliance?
Early: Am I a lion?
Simon: What?
Early: I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though — I have a mighty roar.
Simon: I said "Alliance".
Early: Oh, I thought—
Simon: No, I was—
Early: That's weird.

I could go on and on...god i love that show so much.

SprintingOnIce fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 3, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Alexandr posted:

Yes.

Definitely! It starts out a bit shaky like Buffy, with a small cast and a little weirdness but it gets big and shiny in the same way too.

Season 4 is kind of wacky.

• Locked thread