Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Net Boners
Mar 2, 2002

did you go to town with hot wheel tracks, Joan Quinn?

Fantastipotamus posted:

Hmm.. 250R eh? How much was it? 6? 7k? ;)

They've done a good job with the styling, I thought it was a ZX-6R. :ughh:

I got a hook-up so the price was a lot less than that :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts on Skype
Apr 2, 2005

'07 Ninja 650, installed the Kawi seat cowl that inexplicably just came out for it since this pic was taken, also waiting on an Arrow exhaust that I ordered.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

Farts on Skype posted:

'07 Ninja 650, installed the Kawi seat cowl that inexplicably just came out for it since this pic was taken, also waiting on an Arrow exhaust that I ordered.

How is the riding position on the 650 compared to the 500? I'm considering this as my future replacement (not for another year or so but still), but I don't want an uncomfortable riding position because I like really long rides.

Farts on Skype
Apr 2, 2005

darknrgy posted:

How is the riding position on the 650 compared to the 500? I'm considering this as my future replacement (not for another year or so but still), but I don't want an uncomfortable riding position because I like really long rides.

Can't really compare it to the Ninja 500 as I've never been on one, but the stock 650's upright position was really similar to the GS500 I used to ride.

On my bike I opted to swap for sport bars to get better handling/control much like a SS bike, with the sacrifice of comfort on longer rides, since more of your weight is resting on the bars.

They look like they'd be pretty similar though:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2008models/2008-Kawasaki-Ninja500Ra.jpg

vs

http://www.kewlwallpapers.com/images/wmwallpapers/2008-Kawasaki-Ninja-650R-1.jpeg

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
i have an 07 650r. it was super comfy with the stock bars on, felt like you could ride all day and have your body not hate you. i ordered and installed the sport bars V2. best mod i've done so far, probably the best mod you can do to our little 650's. gives you a lower more sporty position, while retaining the comfort. oh yea, 650r's rock :dance:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Finally got myself a DRZ400SM. 2006 with 1825 miles. Got a great deal because its running rich and I walked in with a stack of $100s. It backfires like mad when I let off the throttle, which with the Yoshi exhaust its hilariously awesome. I'll enjoy it until this weekend when I can work on it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Welcome to the wonderful world of the super-moto.

Your wallet wont be thanking you, but its worth every penny in tires and lawyer fees.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are you positive its rich? Popping on decel is usually a lean symptom.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Phat_Albert posted:

Good to know, I haven't dealt with carbs in a long time so I will defer to your knowledge. Will likely post about the symptoms in the questions thread later today.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Phat_Albert posted:

I also thought it was a sign of richness; unburned fuel funneling into the hot exhaust and igniting there. Good to know.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

I also thought it was a sign of richness; unburned fuel funneling into the hot exhaust and igniting there. Good to know.

You can get that, but you have to be really rich, for one, and for two, it tends to be one or two big bangs, spaced well apart when you're that rich.

The quick rapid-fire burbling and popping on decel usually means its lean.

Skumby
Jul 5, 2007
I'm Skumby dammit!!!!!!!
would removing the spark arrestor help with a lean condition?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It would make it leaner, so no

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

What's new, Buseycat? woa-aah, woa-aah, woa-aah
:aaa: I just found out SA has a Motorcycle forum. *bookmarks*

My new GSX-R750 I got two weeks ago:

Finally got off my restrictions/provisional license (in Australia), old bike was the trusty (and gutless) CBR125:

More pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ntriantafillou/sets/72157610042888420/

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Ermm...... Keep it safe? Jebus, that's a giant loving leap for mankind, going from a 125 to .... that. You've got nearly 10x as much hp, with about only an extra 50kg to cart around. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Also, goddamn that stock muffler looks like boiled rear end. Have you already sawzalled your fender off, or is that factory?

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

Haha, yeah thanks :) 125 to 750 was quite a big leap, but I'm respecting the throttle and enjoying it, I'm pretty much used to it now. The CBR125 was a great city commuter, but I'm taking it on the freeway more now, where the 125 was just painful.

That's a fender eliminator installed by the dealership before I picked up the bike, didn't want the huge chunk of plastic, and it was pretty cheap ($150aud).

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

xelfer posted:

Finally got off my restrictions/provisional license (in Australia), old bike was the trusty (and gutless) CBR125:

Love my trusty CBR125 (I really need a pair of boots)

Cannot wait for something bigger though, thinking maybe a CBR400/VFR400 or CB 500.

Love the look of the 400 cbr's, not that easy to find here in the uk though.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

fronkpies posted:

Cannot wait for something bigger though, thinking maybe a CBR400/VFR400 or CB 500.

I have a love/hate thing with the CBR125. I'd love to have one, actually getting to something above 60 on the flat (I ride an XR125) would be awesome. Plus they look brilliant. However, I'm 6'4" and I fit on the CBR125 even less than I fit on most bigger bikes. Plus I've had a number of lowsides on my XR, makes me glad that I don't have to replace the fairings.

Also, why does Britain always have a distinctive look in photographs? (If that's not Britain, I'm going to look mighty stupid)

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Orange Someone posted:

I have a love/hate thing with the CBR125. I'd love to have one, actually getting to something above 60 on the flat (I ride an XR125) would be awesome. Plus they look brilliant. However, I'm 6'4" and I fit on the CBR125 even less than I fit on most bigger bikes. Plus I've had a number of lowsides on my XR, makes me glad that I don't have to replace the fairings.

Also, why does Britain always have a distinctive look in photographs? (If that's not Britain, I'm going to look mighty stupid)

Im only a small person anyway and sometimes i feel its to small for me, so at 6'4" you would be struggling.

I have to say i've crashed it once, the front fairings cracked and the side panel has snapped a few of its plastic holdings, and although replacements are pretty cheap its a massive hassle having to replace them which im not looking forward to.

It is Britain indeed, i think the grey drabness gives it away ha.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Orange Someone posted:

Its the cloudy skies.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Phat_Albert posted:

Its the cloudy skies.

I was gonna say the billboard sized license plate.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Its the cloudy skies.

And smog from the Watt engines and eel smokers.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Or the absence of lines in residential roads and the cars parked on the opposite side as most of the world('merica).

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Actually, if I'd been bothered to look closely, the L plate(s) would have given it away.

And you can't see the clouds from there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can see the obviously cloudy sky in the background, and the picture makes it obvious that its overcast. That same shot in the sun would look very different.

Regardless, the real kicker is the Euro Focus in the background that probably has 9 turbos from the factory.

FORD :argh:

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

xelfer posted:

:aaa: I just found out SA has a Motorcycle forum. *bookmarks*

Argh! It's you!

xelfer posted:

The CBR125 was a great city commuter, but I'm taking it on the freeway more now, where the 125 was just painful.

It was a running joke in an irc channel that xelfer and I hang out in, where a MMO price check bot would occasionally return "* xelfer managed (random number between 4 and 100) kilometres per hour on his motorbike!".

Poor guy, had to listen to the rest of us crapping on about breaking our real bikes for over a year, while he's puttering around on 125cc of RAW POWA!

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Phat_Albert posted:

You can see the obviously cloudy sky in the background, and the picture makes it obvious that its overcast. That same shot in the sun would look very different.

Regardless, the real kicker is the Euro Focus in the background that probably has 9 turbos from the factory.

FORD :argh:

Yes, I did recognise the car as one we get over here. I do have to grin at you labelling that overcast, you can clearly see a shadow. For the great rain cloud that generally covers the British Isles, that's a pretty nice day.

And I either need a new bike or some new photos of my old one.

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Well - I got around to doing a DIY chop-job on the giant rear fender on my 2k SV650, and wound up not stopping there - that gigantic exhaust was just screaming for surgical attention.

My motorcycle sounds like a motorcycle now! No more lawnmower. Plus, I pulled out about 5 lbs. and I think it looks significantly better.

<-- Happy!
(clicky for big)

Click here for the full 858x643 image.

:fry:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

fronkpies posted:

You should be able to find a CB400 easily enough, though, unless that was only sold to Japan/Asia. I rode a CBR125 for a few weeks in the summer, while I was doing a valve adjustment on my Kawi. Here's a pic of me wrenching on it - just taking the front fairing apart for amusement (checking the rad).

I'm 190cm, and oddly enough, my legs fit the tank cutouts better than they did on my GS500. Sure, the suspension didn't exactly love having ~100kg of me+kit, and I couldn't really out-accelerate traffic, but it was pretty goddamn fun.

I replaced the lovely OE rubber in the rear, with a 110 front tyre from a matched set of racing Michelins (the front wouldn't fit on my Suzuki, and it was too good a deal to pass up, so...). Just pick your favourite back road, and see if you can run the entire thing at WOT - that's about the only bike that I'd ever consider doing it on, and it's actually hilariously entertaining to do so.

If you're considering a better set of rubber for your 125, see if you can find some decent sport touring rubber in either 100 or 110. It's a little extra weight, but it will be a pretty dramatic improvement over stock handling. I do have to wonder how much difference a more aggressive front brake pad would be, because that was something that I would have changed, had that bike stuck around.

Fake edit: Oh, and the suspension too. :v:

Edit: to the people with FE kits, like civilian.d, do you just not ride it in the rain? :confused:

Simkin fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 5, 2008

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

Simkin posted:

Edit: to the people with FE kits, like civilian.d, do you just not ride it in the rain? :confused:

I still left a bit of fender - but... I live in Seattle and ride every day, so that's kind of a silly question :P

Honestly, I wear waterproof gear anyways, have a bit of a fender left, and i find the tail keeps water off me for the most part when I've ridden friend's bikes that have true fender elims. Maybe it would be diff for a passenger being more to the rear of the bike, but I don't really ride 2-up. Or maybe I just outrun the spray. :rice:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Sure, but the fender's also there so that you're less of a dick to people following, no?

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

snail posted:

Argh! It's you!

Gah, it is too!

snail posted:

Poor guy, had to listen to the rest of us crapping on about breaking our real bikes for over a year, while he's puttering around on 125cc of RAW POWA!

It's ok.. now I have my 750 and you.. still have your busa which owns it :/

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

xelfer posted:

It's ok.. now I have my 750 and you.. still have your busa which owns it :/

Difference being, you haven't forgotten to put your side stand down when parking :doh:

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Simkin posted:

You should be able to find a CB400 easily enough, though, unless that was only sold to Japan/Asia. . .

Nah, CB400s were sold over here in Europe. I'm planning on buying one from a friend of mine in the spring. She can't stand commuting on the M6 on it, so she's using her car instead. The bike will be for sale when her fiancee finally fixes his Daytona 675.

Seems fronkpies was looking for the CBR400, and I'm not sure I've ever seen one. Also have no idea of the relation between the CBs and the CBRs, are they/were they ever just faired/nonfaired versions of each other? I mean, even CB400s aren't exactly common, though the CB600 is a gorgeous bike.

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

Simkin posted:

Sure, but the fender's also there so that you're less of a dick to people following, no?

maybe it'll keep people from tailgating me as much :argh: soccer moms!

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap

xelfer posted:

My new GSX-R750 I got two weeks ago:

I just got my provisionals, so now I'm only a year away now from a bigger bike.

Planning to upgrade from my CBR250RR to a GSXR-600. White one makes me hard :fap:

Kyon fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 6, 2008

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Why doesn't Honda sell these smaller displacement CBRs in the US? I'd love a CBR250 or 400.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Because they hate you, and think that you are a terrible person. It's really all your fault. Sorry.

Afaik, the smaller displacement sport bikes are usually only sold to regions where there is graduated licensing, such that beginners would be limited to Xcc displacement or hp. Selling a restricted full size bike does happen, but these fit the bill without any modification.

I really wish they'd just loving sell them here as well, as I think a 250 or 400cc from any of the major Japanese manufacturers would do quite well. Currently the only one in the 250 range is the Ninja, and it sold like it was the second coming of Christ. If a 400cc sport bike was sold, it would fit perfectly in the 110cc-400cc insurance bracket in my area, and I don't think there's any conceivable reason that I would not pick one up.

People have been selling grey import 250 and 400cc sport bikes around here, like CBR250s, 400s, ZXR250s, GSX-R400s, etc, but the only 400 sport bike sold in NA was the FZR-400. The nice thing is, the FZR-600 engine is an (apparently) easy swap into the bike, so once you pass inspection :ssj:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_fzr400r%2089.htm

teh internets posted:

ZXR400 vs VFR400R3-M vs FZR400RR

IT TIME. Time to thrash away the cobwebs; time to overtake squad cars and get drunk. Time to wake up and do it again. Oh, and I nearly forgot: time to scare myself silly.

But I didn't this year, did I? I rode a ZXR400 and an FZR400RRSP, the spearhead of a new 400cc class whose nose is pressed unjustly hard against a wall of market prejudice. Do yourself a favour, sell-up, move out, do whatever it takes...but buy one. Here's why.

Riding both, but preferably the Yam OWOM, re-defined my weedy TT-riding parameters. On paper or motorways their 60bhp are blown away by virtually everything modern and sporty. On asphalt they are the wildest one-finger vehicles since the 350LC. What's more, they're boring four-strokes.

While many he-man bikes are blighted by throttles that stay resolutely off the stops and chassis needing above average skill when not, the little 400s get abused. They don't know the meaning of 'feathered throttle' and while you're busy abusing, you're also going in deeper, leaning further, whacking the throttle earlier. You are, just like old times, an equal partner in the bike-rider relationship.

Opening the throttle in the top three gears produces a bad-tempered growl akin to the 750, and little else. At 7000rpm it sounds interested but merely moves into a rough patch. lOOOrpm later it's clear and at your disposal. Compared to the FZR's amazing midrange it's as flat as a fart. Taken in isolation it's well-useable.

Power only begins to climb seriously when the tacho is flying through the 11,500 take-off zone and heading rapidly for the 14,000 rev-limiter. The noise experience is total — pained but the best. Initially I changed up too early, I couldn't believe it could wail so without blowing up. Soon after I was addicted. This 400cc interpretation of ZXR performance is safe, fun, unintimidating and intense.

It also made the FZR's EXUP-boosted engine feel less special than last year. After the brash Kawasaki its equally oversquare thrash-unit came across as a hair-dryer. The Yam's tall first gear isn't really a problem. Carburation is so spot-on, the engine so torquey that the incongruously heavy clutch needs little slipping. The engine, though, you just wind up and you're used to it. From 30mph in sixth? No problem.

If it has a rev-limiter I couldn't find it. The redline's at 14,000, peak power at 12,200 but it's still accelerating steadily at 15,500. There's no rush as per the ZXR due is part to marginally less power, but mainly to the Yamaha's better spread. The whirring EXUP makes gearchanges less critical — mostly you just hold the throttle open and steer around anything that gets in your way. Occasionally you have to brake.

Goddamnit, I hate you for even making me think about the lack of 400s. I want one so very, very badly. :cry:

Simkin fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 7, 2008

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
What kind of power did these V4 and i4's make in 250 and 400cc? I'd guess 60ish at 400cc, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire

goku chewbacca posted:

What kind of power did these V4 and i4's make in 250 and 400cc? I'd guess 60ish at 400cc, no?

The VFR400 makes something around that stock-ish, or so I'm lead to believe. The CBR250R makes something like 40-45? (with a 19k redline)