Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

uXs posted:

Question is now: should I watch Angel as well ? I've seen even less of Angel than I had of Buffy, so I don't really know if I'll like it. Is the first season representative of the whole series ? I could get the first season, and if I like it, I'd get the other 4 all at once. Good idea ?

I know it's already been answered, but it needs to be repeated. Everyone should watch Angel. Even if you hated Buffy, watch Angel. If you've never seen Buffy, watch Angel. Angel is the perfect Christmas gift for the elderly, teenagers, young children and vagrants. Angel Season 5 cures some forms of cancer.

No really though, watch Season 1. If you like that, you'll love the rest of the seasons. I'm one of the nerds who'll argue that Angel is cohesively a better show than Buffy, so if you liked Buffy, you'll like Angel even more. Just stay away from plot spoilers and enjoy the absolute badass ride.

Also, Angel character spoilers, Westley is the best loving character on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SprintingOnIce
Jan 10, 2005
life out of balance

Spaceboy posted:

Also, Angel character spoilers, Westley is the best loving character on the show.

Yeah his transition is loving amazing. Although I think I like Lorne the best, if for no other reason than his role in the last episode. Powerful poo poo.

Also, the girl in question is the best Angel episode.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I think the best way to sum this up is that Angel is much more of a guy's show then Buffy. and while Buffy peaked at season 3, Angel only got better with time.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

One of my favorite little joys is watching Buffy and then Angel with friends who know nothing about the show.

(More character spoilers do not read these if you haven't watched Angel I'm serious here you're just starting out don't do it)

Angel Season 1: Hey, all right Angel! Aww, Cordelia, she's sort of a spotty character. Damnit, Westley's on this show? What a nerd.
Angel Season 2: Angel is awesome. Cordy's pretty cool. Westley's hilarious.
Angel Season 3: I wish to have wild monkey sex with Fred. Cordelia's great too, she's really matured.
Angel Season 4: Stupid Connor. Westley's a bad motherfucker. Cordy nooooo!
Angel Season 5: Hell yes this is the best show ever.

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 3, 2008

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Senjuro posted:

I think the best way to sum this up is that Angel is much more of a guy's show then Buffy. and while Buffy peaked at season 3, Angel only got better with time.

I'm quoting your post because it was the only one on this page without spoiler tags. :)

What about Buffy Season Eight ? Can I start reading that without watching all of Angel first ?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

uXs posted:

I'm quoting your post because it was the only one on this page without spoiler tags. :)

Angel season 1 suffers from a determined attempt to make the viewer understand that it is not Buffy. It really gets into gear in the second season and just keeps getting more fantastic. I found season 4 to be a bit of a grind - watched the last three seasons on DVD - but has a lot of good stuff in it.

Season 5 has some of the best episodes and a far better finisher than Buffy.

Also, check out the opening of the very first Angel episode for Sawyer from Lost.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

uXs posted:

What about Buffy Season Eight ? Can I start reading that without watching all of Angel first ?

IIRC there aren't any new spoilers you don't already know about from watching all of Buffy. what I mean is that Faith is good now.
but perhaps someone else should confirm that in case my memory isn't what it used to be.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

There is nothing in Angel that would spoil Buffy Season Eight, or vice versa. You're clear for reading. :)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay here's a question, my friends and I love Buffy (the show) but hate Angel (the character), does Angel(the character) manage to pull of guy you love to hate in Angel (the show?). I mean, we don't like Buffy (the character) either, so...

I really wish Giles had gotten a good spinoff show. That would have been awesome.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I would dare say that after the first season, the Angel from Buffy isn't the Angel in Angel. I personally don't like the near-messiah status of Angel in Buffy in that he's a mostly (until he's evil) two-dimensional guy who exists to be sensitive with Buffy.

He really strikes out on his own in his own series and becomes his own man. The first season is a little rough in terms of Angel being his own guy, but come the second season he's pure awesome.

Best I can recommend is to give the series a try, even if you don't like the character to begin with.

Also, a Giles TV show would have been the best thing in the universe.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Snak posted:

Okay here's a question, my friends and I love Buffy (the show) but hate Angel (the character), does Angel(the character) manage to pull of guy you love to hate in Angel (the show?). I mean, we don't like Buffy (the character) either, so...

I really wish Giles had gotten a good spinoff show. That would have been awesome.

I was pretty impartial to the character on Buffy (Angelus was awesome, though), but he is pretty likable on Angel, even though his supporting cast can tend to steal the show at times.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Spaceboy posted:

Best I can recommend is to give the series a try, even if you don't like the character to begin with.

Also, a Giles TV show would have been the best thing in the universe.

Sweet. Like I said we pretty much think buffy is a stupid bitch too so, and just like her as a plot device to drape the better characters over.

I'm hoping to get my Giles fix with Repo! The Genetic Opera

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

SprintingOnIce posted:

I can't decide when I fell in love with firefly. Here's a few moments that probably did it.

Of course, you couldn't buy an invite with a diamond the size of a testicle, but I got my hands on a couple...

For all the love "Out of gas" gets, I still find Shindig a better episode.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Stonefish posted:

Of course, you couldn't buy an invite with a diamond the size of a testicle, but I got my hands on a couple...

For all the love "Out of gas" gets, I still find Shindig a better episode.
I love shindig, it reminds me a lot of a sharpe's rifles movie, where sean bean ends up in the same situation and wins the duel in more or less the same way.

I fell in love with the show because of the headshot mal scores effortlessly without breaking stride at the end of the pilot.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Firefly has the hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne. :colbert:

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Snak posted:

I fell in love with the show because of the headshot mal scores effortlessly without breaking stride at the end of the pilot.

That, and the "unexpectedly kick the henchman into the engine" move from "The Train Job" did it for me.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!

Senjuro posted:

Buffy peaked at season 3

I keep hearing this and never understood it. I just finished watching Buffy for the first time and thought that overall, the show got a lot stronger and, for lack of a better term, deeper through season 6 which I thought was the strongest season of the series. Season 7 was a big dip in quality at first, but it regained the earlier seasons' cohesiveness for the last handful of episodes and the finale's perfect.

Then again, it seems like the people who HATED season 6 were the ones who 1) thought the show lost something when it left high school (I disagree) and 2) watched the show while it aired. I guess I can see how season 6 would seem kind of lackluster if you were waiting weeks between episodes. But watching it all on DVD it flowed together beautifully and really felt like a single, epic story that took the show into places you wouldn't expect without betraying the concept.

I could go way more into depth on my opinion but I don't want to fill the thread up with a big nerd essay unless someone REALLY wants to hear it.

As for Angel, I don't think it's nearly as good as Buffy simply because it's pretty aimless. Buffy was subject to the same pressures and changes as any network show, but it still had a way of making it SEEM like everything was planned from the start in a grand scheme. With the first two seasons of Angel it's painfully obvious that they're just throwing darts at a board and seeing what sticks. Characters and concepts get unceremoniously dropped left and right, and nearly every new character is boring and doesn't fit into the ensemble when they're first introduced. Gunn and Wesley started out really one-note and just kind of hang around with nothing to do until the writers worked it out about midway through season 2. Season 3 is where it really gelled for me and Fred was the first character to be introduced who felt like she was supposed to be there from the beginning. (God drat Joss and his penchant for adorable geek girls.) Ditto for Lilah, who goes from a throwaway background character to someone way more interesting than Lindsey could ever hope to be.

Season 4 was awesome for the most part, and the beast/eclipse/angelus/loving zombies arc was one of the peaks of the show, but...god drat is the Connor and Cordy stuff painful. From the beginning I knew it wasn't all as it seemed, but that didn't make it any more enjoyable to watch. And again, it seemed like they didn't know what to do with either character for 90% of the season, so they gave them their boring (and icky) roles and let them play the same drat scenes over and over in episode after episode.

Season 5 is currently on "long wait" status on Blockbuster Online, so I have to wait :( God dammit, I want more Spike and Andrew! But on the upside I've used the wait as an excuse to finally watch Firefly.

I guess this post turned into something of a nerd essay anyway.

But yeah, in summary: Angel season 3 is as good as the best of Buffy. The rest of the series only reaches that level in fits and spurts. It's still well worth watching.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
I think Angel was a far more focused and directed show than Buffy; Buffy was the story, basically, of growing up. And slaying vamps; Angel, however, from the beginning, focused on two major themes: Angel's Shanshu, and Wolfram & Hart. These two storylines run thoughout and dominant the plot.

Buffy was also a far more seasonal show, with each season being mostly self-contained. Angel season 2-3-4 are basically the same plotline.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Horseface posted:

someone REALLY wants to hear it.

---

To me, I guess I appreciate the shows differently.

I grew up with Buffy in that I had the same sort of school experiences parallel with the characters. They went to college, I went to college. It seemed that they aged and grew up at the same time as I did, and I can't feel very objective about the series as a whole because it's been colored differently for me. One interesting thing I've noticed is that when I watched the entire series when it was on the air, Buffy was a really sympathetic character who I really, really liked. She felt like someone I could have been friends with at the time, and it was good. Watching the series again now that a few years have passed and I've distanced myself from waiting week to week for episodes, I find that Buffy's not all that sympathetic and is, point of fact, a total whiner and occasional colossal bitch. Not to say that the other characters come off any better particularly, but I don't remember Buffy being like that.

That being said, for some unknowable reason, I didn't watch Angel when it was on the air. I watched when there were obvious cross-overs, but I didn't follow the show itself until the DVD releases when I could watch it with Buffy at home on my own time. Watching it this way, I vastly preferred Angel because it struck me differently than Buffy did. The show seemed better, more polished, and more interesting on the whole. There were still things I didn't like about Angel that I didn't like about Buffy (as in, when the episodes were bad, they were BAD), but on the whole, Angel was just a more enjoyable show for me now. My enjoyment of Angel now is as strong as my enjoyment of Buffy was back in the day. The best way I can explain this is, when Buffy comes to Los Angeles and Angel tells her to get the hell out of town and never come back. Years ago, I would have totally sided with Buffy and said that Angel was completely wrong and Buffy was in the right. Watching now, Angel was in the right, Buffy was being a bitch and it was an awesome/manly thing for him to do.

It must be the hallmark of good writing that I can feel strongly and even change opinions about shows that I love even after this long. That being said, watching as an older, more critical viewer, Angel feels like the better show just in terms of content. Whereas Buffy seemed to aimlessly float through situations until the last 10 episodes of a seasons where the poo poo hit the fan, Angel always seemed to have a purpose (at least after season one). The camera work seemed a little smoother, the sets seemed a little nicer and the characters seemed a little more engaging on Angel.

Although Xander and I are BFFs for life.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
I didn't start watching Buffy until around the time it ended.

Season 1 was sort of alright, and 2 was more of the same until Spike came out of loving nowhere and awesomed it up (Home sweet home). This continued for a bit

Season 3, however... was positively uplifting. I can't quantify it, or explain it. The show was just kicking all kinds of arse at that point. It had the best balance of cast (Lots of Oz, Willow, Faith, Giles, Wilkins and Airhead Cordelia, and not as much (but some) of Wesley, Angel, Joyce, Jonathan, Quark and Anya). It also had record low quantities of Buffy being catatonic/a bitch/irrational/alloftheabove.
It also had Band Candy, Lovers Walk (I may be loves bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it), The Wish, The Zeppo, Helpless and Earshot.
And most importantly, it had the Class Protector Award. I'm pretty sure that little plastic toy is the coolest thing I've ever seen. If that doesn't get your spirits up, nothing will.

Then season 4 started with it getting smashed and forgotten about. AND the loving roommate episode with that loving music, and then they ditched Oz, and Angel, and Faith and Cordy, and most of Joyce, then broke up the team.
No loving wonder people didn't like Season 4.

Stonefish fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 4, 2008

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

uXs posted:

What I dislike most were episodes or arcs where Buffy is being attacked from behind, like when CPS wants to take Dawn away, or when she's desperately out of money. (Actually, that never made a whole lot of sense to me: why the hell should the Slayer work at a fastfood restaurant ? She should just be given enough money to not have to work, so she'd be able to concentrate on keeping her fighting skills up.)

At that point, wasn't Buffy largely independent from the Watcher's Guild and other likely sources of income?

You'd expect someone of superhuman strength and fighting ability could somehow find a better use for her talents than slinging burgers, though, even in Sunnydale.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Gorbash posted:

You'd expect someone of superhuman strength and fighting ability could somehow find a better use for her talents than slinging burgers, though, even in Sunnydale.

Agreed, but that wouldn't be "funny."

But yeah.. construction comes to mind...

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Been there, done that, hosed it up.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Stonefish posted:

Then season 4 started with it getting smashed and forgotten about. AND the loving roommate episode with that loving music, and then they ditched Oz, and Angel, and Faith and Cordy, and most of Joyce, then broke up the team.
No loving wonder people didn't like Season 4.

I loved season 4, and think it's the most rewatchable season. It does end weakly, I'll grant - not counting Restless, of course. But 2/3rds of the season is gold, and perfectly captures the college experience. With monsters. The roomate episode, for example, I thought was awesome. Who hasn't had a roomate like that?

It's a comedy season for the most part, with "Pangs" being the highpoint for me, but episodes like "Superstar", "The Freshman", and of course "Hush", are close.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spaceboy posted:

I know it's already been answered, but it needs to be repeated. Everyone should watch Angel. Even if you hated Buffy, watch Angel. If you've never seen Buffy, watch Angel. Angel is the perfect Christmas gift for the elderly, teenagers, young children and vagrants. Angel Season 5 cures some forms of cancer.

No really though, watch Season 1. If you like that, you'll love the rest of the seasons. I'm one of the nerds who'll argue that Angel is cohesively a better show than Buffy, so if you liked Buffy, you'll like Angel even more. Just stay away from plot spoilers and enjoy the absolute badass ride.

Season One of Angel also has that great moment in the episode where Spike shows up and he stands on a rooftop watching Angel save a girl making up his own dialog for what's going on.

Madama Butterfly
Apr 6, 2005

All who dare to cross her course are swallowed by her fearsome force!

Snak posted:

Yes, that was the hook for me as well. I just love the way he stomps up the ramp, sees guy, shoots guy in the head, and keeps on stomping.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

muscles like this? posted:

Season One of Angel also has that great moment in the episode where Spike shows up and he stands on a rooftop watching Angel save a girl making up his own dialog for what's going on.

what episode is that? that's pretty much my favorite part of any show i've ever seen.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Low Key Liar posted:

what episode is that? that's pretty much my favorite part of any show i've ever seen.

"In The Dark." Also features an appearance by Oz.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Oz then stole the idea for The Italian Job, and did it even better :)

:quagmire: You're not too bright are you?
:j: No
:quagmire: Perfect

Stonefish fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 5, 2008

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
James Poniewozik from Time Magazine is a little iffy on Dollhouse, but he's definitely willing to come back for more. The review's not that spoilery, but it gives out some broad details people might not need or want to know just yet, and I think I'm going to black them out just to be safe.

James Poniewozik posted:

Yes, this is certainly Joss Whedon trying to do What People Think Works on Broadcast TV Today—the legendary serial-procedural hybrid. But the first episode—in which Echo is imprinted with a kidnapping-negotiator's personality to secure the return of a rich man's abducted daughter—is well enough written to be absorbing. Writing a crime hour doesn't seem like Whedon's thing, but the episode is tight, suspenseful, with intriguing psychological twists and flashes of Whedonesque humor.

So basically, it's The Train Job except it seems that they don't throw in bricks of exposition that grind the episode's pace to a halt. His big problem, unfortunately, is Eliza:

James Poniewozik posted:

Dollhouse as conceived (a heroine plays a different "person" every week) is less a series concept than an actress' showcase, a sort of extreme version of an Alias undercover premise...And the actress being showcased is Eliza Dushku. Now, I have nothing against Dushku. I thought she was fine on Buffy. But she's not exactly Toni Collette (who's playing a multiple-personality case on Showtime's The United States of Tara, which I have not seen). Watching her inhabit her imprinted "personality"—a tough negotiator with secret vulnerabilities—I did not see her becoming another person. I thought: Oh, look! There's Eliza Dushku with glasses and her hair in a bun!

If it weren't for Whedon's pedigree, I'm not sure I'd be dying to see a second episode. But for me, the main draw now is not seeing Dushku become a different person every week, but getting to see Joss Whedon become a different writer every week.

It should be noted that he wasn't too hot on Firefly at first, and by his own admission it was "one of the worst calls of [his] career." Still, it's a good read and should help curb any unrealistic expectations.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Snak posted:

I didn't mind Angel on Buffy but I think I've actually started liking him *less* while watching Angel-the-series (I'm at the beginning of season three). His increasingly frequent moments of immaturity really undermine the good elements of his character. I do like Cordelia and Wesley, but I'm indifferent towards Gunn and mixed with respect to Lorne and Fred. Overall I don't think I really like the mix of characters as much, and combined with the fact that the slight surrealness of Buffy has been replaced with much more generic darkness, I'm starting to lose interest in the show.

It's unfortunate because when I watched the first episode or two I thought the show was going to be awesome. I think a lot of that was that I identify much more with the big-cosmopolitan-city setting than with Buffy's small-town America, and I liked the slightly desperate/noirish feel of some of the early episodes too - by contrast the hotel just feels a little too comfortable. I did quite enjoy season two (although the ludicrously severe/abrupt change of tone near the end of the season was rather jarring) but I'm struggling to care about season 3.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 5, 2008

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

ShardPhoenix posted:

I'm at the beginning of season three
I'm starting to lose interest in the show.

You can set your clock by people's waning interest in the later seasons of Angel.

1 was good, if a little unsure of itself. 2 was okay. 3 and 4 deteriorated into weird poo poo, with the sporadic awesomeness. then 5 is regarded by just about everyone as being Top Shelf Material.

Hang around. It's worth it.

ShardPhoenix posted:

His increasingly frequent moments of immaturity really undermine the good elements of his character.

David Boreanaz being petty is the only time he acts believably.
Ladies helmet indeed :)
(semi-related - does anyone have a gif of the "I don't dance" bit?)

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Spike's description of Angel as "tall, dark, and forehead" was just too perfect.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

muscles like this? posted:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_G9ugMJL5A8&feature=related

It is the best bit of Spike dialogue ever, closely followed by the bit in season 4 where he's trying to get Willow and Xander to go out and help him find some demons to fight, "for the safety of puppies, and Christmas."

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Flatscan posted:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_G9ugMJL5A8&feature=related

It is the best bit of Spike dialogue ever, closely followed by the bit in season 4 where he's trying to get Willow and Xander to go out and help him find some demons to fight, "for the safety of puppies, and Christmas."

"Quickly, to the Angel-mobile, away!"

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Personally, the best thing he ever said was "Sorry love, I don't speak Chinese" to that nutter slayer.
It was quite simply the worst possible timing and choice of words ever witnessed.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't care" ranks as well.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I never really cared much about Drusilla when I hadn't seen the entire Buffy series, but just some episodes here and there. I thought she was just some crazy bitch and that she wasn't very interesting.

But I really changed my mind watching it all from the start. Knowing her backstory makes her into a far better character, and it's too bad that she didn't appear much in the later seasons.

She and Spike made an awesome couple, much better than watching Spike become Buffy's bitch.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
How can we just forget about one of the best minor characters in Buffy

Though on a more serious note I hold the bealif that Angel was far better then Buffy]/i].

and again on another note i can't help but worry about Dollhouse, i'm excited for it, but after what the [i]Time
reviewer said..

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I am still partial to the briefcase laden Spike. "What? I'm listening... with beer"

I think my favorite all time spike/angel moment had to in Season 5.

Spike "She's evil, you gormless tit!"

ANGEL "Did you call me a tit?"

There is more to it that makes it a lot better, but I don't want to spoil it for the people who haven't seen season 5 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump
Season 5 of Angel was the best thing ever, if for no reason than the emergence of a new character the likes of which the show hadn't yet seen: Indigo, time-shifting, indestuctible Old God. :hellyeah:

• Locked thread