Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

pipingfiend posted:

I would not run this stuff to download directly to the array as torrents will probably slowly kill it.
I'm trying to reply in the way I think I understand that phrase.

It's a COW filesystem. Things that get random writes will end up fragmented like poo poo by default. The IO scheduler and prefetcher will compensate for that. Also, ZFS groups all writes into transactions every five seconds or the cache being filled totally with writes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For the goons who are running torrent on a DNS323. Does the client have a scheduler like uTorrent , that can turn itself off at specific time everyday?

And I am trying to figure out if you run the NAS in mirror mode 24/7, does it consume more power than raid-0?

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

Pzykotic posted:

God loving dammit.

I bought the D-Link DNS-343 and was very impressed with its interface and list of features, and I was looking forward to putting in the 4x1.5TB drives I bought.

BUT ALAS:

Little did I (or most of the internet) know, the DNS-343 is mostly incompatible with those drives, despite saying on the box "Works with any capacity SATA drive!". It will format them individually and share them as separate drives (real useful), but it is incapable of any sort of RAID - it goes through the formatting and then says it was successful, but only shows 90 GB of space available when it should be more like 4.5 TB.

There's a thread on D-Link's forum and they've promised compatibility in an upcoming firmware update, but that post was from October 14th and nothing has come out yet. I hope I don't have to wait long, because right now this thing is absolutely useless to me.

Boo D-Link.

I thought we had a thread about the Seagate 1.5TB drives that had problems that could be fixed with a firmware flash.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
^^

Just on their own? I've heard they have some problems, but I got a brand new batch with a date code I haven't seen online, so I am hopeful that they're fine.

As related to the DNS-343, D-Link confirmed it's not yet compatible with the 1.5 TB drives, and blame it on the drives not being available when they wrote their last firmware so they couldn't test it or some crap.

But they just posted this a few hours ago, I really hope the firmware update comes out soon. I currently have it set up to share the 4 drives separately, which works fine, but is mostly useless for what I wanted to use it for.

quote:

We have been working on firmware updates for the DNS-343 diligently and could be released as early as Next week depending on how testing goes. We do not release firmwares to fix one item. At the time of release for the product 1TB drives were the highest capacity any consumer could purchase for the device so the statement of "Any Size" held true. Now 1.5TB drives have been available to consumers for about 1 month and we have been working on new firmware the entire time. The device does technically support them in a Standard drive scenario however Raid is not currently supported. I appologize but just like you we did not have access to these drives as they were being developed only after they hit the market and it does take time to verify that drives are working correctly in our devices. Please be patient for a little while longer and you will get your updated firmware and it will work with your 1.5TB drives.

That was pretty rambling for a company representative

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
What the poo poo is the difference between 1.0 and 1.5 anyway? I'm not aware of any "line" they'd have to cross there like the old 2GB or 127GB ones.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

I've been thinking about getting a ReadyNAS lately, mostly because of X-RAID and Linux. Does anyone know what distro it runs? I'd really like the convenience of a package manager, and I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to throw my favorite distro on it and expect X-RAID to work.

Stonefish posted:

What the poo poo is the difference between 1.0 and 1.5 anyway? I'm not aware of any "line" they'd have to cross there like the old 2GB or 127GB ones.

I don't think it's the capacity, just that something about the way these specific drives operate fucks up X-RAID.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

Pzykotic posted:

As related to the DNS-343, D-Link confirmed it's not yet compatible with the 1.5 TB drives, and blame it on the drives not being available when they wrote their last firmware so they couldn't test it or some crap.

Not directly related to this problem, but I have a more general question. How good are NAS manufacturers at upgrading their boxes to support larger drives? I'm looking at getting a home NAS at some point and loading it with the biggest drives available, but a lot of the product docs for various boxes suggest they only support up to 750Gb.

I guess my question is, are larger drives something that can be supported with future firmware updates, or is there a fundamental limit of the NAS/RAID technology where it's impossible to support a drive larger than a certain size, and if so what is that limit? Does the SATA drive spec have a size limit?

I'd hate to lay down a load of cash now and find that in 2 years when I want to upgrade to 5Tb (or whatever) drives, I need a completely new NAS.

WickedMetalHead
Mar 9, 2007
/dev/null
I'm toying with finally switching my home File Server over to use ZFS. My main question is what the gently caress version of solaris do i want? Solaris 10? OpenSolaris? Solaris Express?

Nexenta? (which looks really neat since i come from a Debian server)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The builds of Solaris Express and OpenSolaris are exactly the same, apart from a different installer and latter not shipping with third party licensed bits (nothing you'd miss).

For the shiny things, you need OpenSolaris or SXCE. Nexenta is also tracking the latest builds with just a little lag AFAIK, but I've never used it.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

WickedMetalHead posted:

I'm toying with finally switching my home File Server over to use ZFS. My main question is what the gently caress version of solaris do i want? Solaris 10? OpenSolaris? Solaris Express?

Nexenta? (which looks really neat since i come from a Debian server)

My experience with Solaris 10 is that some things are a little painful on it which have been corrected (or worked around) with new OpenSolaris builds. Note that I haven't used OpenSolaris (it does not work without at motherfucking video card and a locally attached keyboard in your server wtf), but this is from my experience with Solaris 10. I am by no means a Solaris expert, and I welcome correction in this area!

• I just could not get libtorrent (rtorrent) working on Solaris 10. IIRC there was some hosed Solaris shared library to blame, but I could never figure out how to fix it. This may have been fixed in a recent release of Solaris 10. There are easily-findable libtorrent binaries for OpenSolaris (which did not work on Solaris 10 for me).
  • Solaris 10 has - and someone please correct me here - very obtuse patch procedures. Installing a minimal Solaris environment does not leave you with the ability to patch via smpatch. This is so wrong on so many levels. Please someone prove me wrong. With OpenSolaris, there is no configuration so minimal as to be without patching software, because there is only one configuration, and minimal it is not. You also shouldn't have to "register" your system with sconadm before patching.
  • OpenSolaris has ipkg, which is supposedly an apt-based (or at least apt-inspired) package management system. There is no package management system built into traditional Solaris, but a lot of people use Blastwave. Blastwave is not, unfortunately, nearly as comprehensive as Fink for Mac OS X. I do not know how comprehensive the ipkg database is.
  • Solaris 10 is difficult to upgrade between system releases. AFAICT the Sun way to upgrade your OS without more downtime than a simple reboot is: 1) make sure you have an unused partition on your disk, 2) install the latest Solaris onto that partition from within your current Solaris install, 3) reboot. This will go much more smoothly if you have /usr/local and /home on separate partitions, but still, it seems pretty painful to me. I have no idea if this is different in OpenSolaris or not.

OpenSolaris was a no-go for me, as I mentioned previously, because it requires local video and keyboard input; I use my storage server (running Linux at the moment) via its serial console and I love it. I couldn't dream of switching.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The builds of Solaris Express and OpenSolaris are exactly the same, apart from a different installer and latter not shipping with third party licensed bits (nothing you'd miss).

For the shiny things, you need OpenSolaris or SXCE. Nexenta is also tracking the latest builds with just a little lag AFAIK, but I've never used it.

Maybe I should try SXCE next time... they might not have hosed with the Solaris 10 installer which allowed serial console installs just fine.

equation groupie fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 26, 2008

WickedMetalHead
Mar 9, 2007
/dev/null
OpenSolaris Requires a Keyboard attached? At all times?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

WickedMetalHead posted:

I know that on most Sun UltraSparc workstations that unplugging the keyboard will result in the system turning off or rebooting. I thought that it was a hardware-based reason, but perhaps it's software-related in the OS.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

WickedMetalHead posted:

No, that's not what I meant. If you boot without a keyboard, it seems to boot normally just like Windows or Linux or any other operating system will.

My complaint was that the installer will not accept input from the serial port, or output to anything but a video card, effectively requiring a keyboard, moue, and monitor for an OpenSolaris server. I assume that once the OS is installed, you can access the OS via serial because they would have to go to some effort to rip that out of the system and there would be no reason to do so, but I never got that far, because I don't have a video card attached to my fileserver and I didn't want to gently caress with it, so I just installed Linux.

necrobobsledder posted:

I know that on most Sun UltraSparc workstations that unplugging the keyboard will result in the system turning off or rebooting. I thought that it was a hardware-based reason, but perhaps it's software-related in the OS.

Not relevant, since the latest builds of OpenSolaris (not sure about SXCE) will not run on SPARC anyway.

Also, I think that your statement only applies to non-USB workstations, which are pretty old, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I am getting ready to build a new home fileserver to upgrade my current 500GB openfiler box, and I am curious if anyone has any experience with the WD green hard drives.

I am curious if I went with 5x 640 GB WD "green" drives over 4x seagate 1TB drives if I would truly see some kind of ROI after 3 years. The up front per usable GB price is $0.146 for the WDs, $0.133 for the seagates.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think the Western Digital GP 1TB drives should be less expensive than the Seagate 1TB drives.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

vlack posted:

My experience with Solaris 10 is that some things are a little painful on it which have been corrected (or worked around) with new OpenSolaris builds. Note that I haven't used OpenSolaris (it does not work without at motherfucking video card and a locally attached keyboard in your server wtf), but this is from my experience with Solaris 10. I am by no means a Solaris expert, and I welcome correction in this area!

• I just could not get libtorrent (rtorrent) working on Solaris 10. IIRC there was some hosed Solaris shared library to blame, but I could never figure out how to fix it. This may have been fixed in a recent release of Solaris 10. There are easily-findable libtorrent binaries for OpenSolaris (which did not work on Solaris 10 for me).
  • Solaris 10 has - and someone please correct me here - very obtuse patch procedures. Installing a minimal Solaris environment does not leave you with the ability to patch via smpatch. This is so wrong on so many levels. Please someone prove me wrong. With OpenSolaris, there is no configuration so minimal as to be without patching software, because there is only one configuration, and minimal it is not. You also shouldn't have to "register" your system with sconadm before patching.
  • OpenSolaris has ipkg, which is supposedly an apt-based (or at least apt-inspired) package management system. There is no package management system built into traditional Solaris, but a lot of people use Blastwave. Blastwave is not, unfortunately, nearly as comprehensive as Fink for Mac OS X. I do not know how comprehensive the ipkg database is.
  • Solaris 10 is difficult to upgrade between system releases. AFAICT the Sun way to upgrade your OS without more downtime than a simple reboot is: 1) make sure you have an unused partition on your disk, 2) install the latest Solaris onto that partition from within your current Solaris install, 3) reboot. This will go much more smoothly if you have /usr/local and /home on separate partitions, but still, it seems pretty painful to me. I have no idea if this is different in OpenSolaris or not.

OpenSolaris was a no-go for me, as I mentioned previously, because it requires local video and keyboard input; I use my storage server (running Linux at the moment) via its serial console and I love it. I couldn't dream of switching.

Maybe I should try SXCE next time... they might not have hosed with the Solaris 10 installer which allowed serial console installs just fine.

You were using the correct libtorrent right? There's one, and then there's rakshasa's. They are same in pretty much only the name.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

crazysim posted:

You were using the correct libtorrent right? There's one, and then there's rakshasa's. They are same in pretty much only the name.

Which one should he be using? Rakshasa's I assume?

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

crazysim posted:

Yep, I was using rakshasa's. It's easier if you start by looking for rtorrent (which is only rakshasa's I think), because you end up getting libtorrent anyway as it is a prereq.

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 14, 2013

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

vlack posted:

You also shouldn't have to "register" your system with sconadm before patching.

Totally agree. Making it difficult for the average user to obtain and install patches was a stupid loving move by Sun. I pine for the days when I could just download the latest patch cluster w/o having to gently caress with registration.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
*NIX newbie who probably shouldn't be messing with OpenSolaris, but is anyway..

I am testing the recently released OpenSolaris 2008.11 in a VM before I deploy it to my server. I've made a RAIDZ pool 'mypool', created a storage folder 'storage' with a single text file in it. Both the 'storage' folder and the text file are owned by my user account (and associated group, to which my user belongs), not root. I am attempting to share the folder with CIFS so it can be accessed by Windows systems.

When I issue 'zfs sharesmb=on mypool/storage', I receive "cannot share 'mypool/storage': smb add share failed".

When I attempt to do it the GUI way (browse there with nautilus, right-click on my storage folder, click Share folder), the Share with: dropdown box only contains "Do not share" and "NFS"). It's like OpenSolaris isn't CIFS-aware.

What am I missing?

EDIT: Is it maybe that CIFS isn't in 2008.11, and that I need to be running the SXCE or SXDE builds? Everything I'm reading says it is "due out in the first half of 2008", which I assume was the official 2008.05 image.. I can't find anything that definitively says, "Yes, CIFS works in 2008.05 and/or 2008.11".

CUNT AND PASTE fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 4, 2008

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

If you type "zfs get all" you'll get a list of supported properties for a filesystem - check if CIFS is there.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
Thanks, lilbean. *high five, shmup buddy*

I ran 'zfs get all > getall.txt', then opened it with gedit. Nothing about CIFS, but I see 'mypool/storage' has sharesmb set to "on".

From Windows, 'ping server-vm' responds with the correct IP, but 'net view server-vm' fails like no service is listening (System error 53). Other shares work, of course.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

amerrykan posted:

Thanks, lilbean. *high five, shmup buddy*

I ran 'zfs get all > getall.txt', then opened it with gedit. Nothing about CIFS, but I see 'mypool/storage' has sharesmb set to "on".

From Windows, 'ping server-vm' responds with the correct IP, but 'net view server-vm' fails like no service is listening (System error 53). Other shares work, of course.
Hm, take a look at the sharemgr tool and its man page maybe. I've done NFS a lot on Solaris 10, but never CIFS so I'm not sure of the specifics but it could be that the filesystem was marked to be shared but not actually shared because of an error.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Greetings fellow pack rats, lately I've been thinking about building my own crazy/retarded little storage box and have some questions. Basically something like McRib's RAID box...but without the RAID. 4-5 drives in a box, hooked up to whatever bridge board so whatever computer it's attached to sees the 4-5 separate drives and do whatever backup/RAID/pooling/whatever setup through software.

My first question is about the bridge board, preferably I would go with some SATA-eSATA port multiplier one...but this will be for a theoretical new Mac mini next year, so the only option for that (barring a miracle appearance of eSATA) is some USB adapter because SATA PM-FireWire adapters don't seem to exist, and if the new minis don't have FW that won't matter. Anyone have experience with that thing, or with the multidrive USB cases? I saw an AMUG review of it...but it was tested on an old rear end PPC mini so it was going to be slow as hell no matter what.

If I'm able to go FW that makes things a bit harder since I can't seem to find any SATA-FW bridges that work with more than 2 drives (other than some old IDE-FW one that can do 4), so if I have 5 drives do I need to get 3 bridges, then daisy chain them or something retarded like that? I know I could just get a bridge/adapter per drive but I'm trying to do this all tidy and stuff with one cable to the computer. Would performance be any different if I just did that and used a hub?

Now that that stuff is out of the way, time for the crazy/retarded part. I want to stick 5 drives into this thing with a little help from this thing. And a card reader/hub thing in front for the hell of it, although I guess that would ruin the one cable tidiness. Front port convenience trumps that for now.

One thing I'm concerned about is the length of the 5.25" bay, some of the reviews say a full size optical drive will fit, others say the "less deep" ones, and another guy says he can't find any that fit :wtc:. The 4 bay drive cage is 7.3" deep, but I don't know what the range of optical drives is so I can't compare it to anything. There's also the front opening which apparently only has room for an optical drive tray, so that makes the hot swappable drives no so hot swappable. Not a huge concern because I don't really need it (I plan to shut off for drive changes), and worst case I can probably dremel my way through the case if I want it.

Anyways back to the length I figure I can just replace the PSU with something smaller, but I have no clue what type of power output (or connections) I'll be needing. And I saw people talking about staggered startup of drives way back in the thread, how does that work in a drive case with no type of logic? Do I just need something that can handle them all at once or is there some other magic involved?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I just took the plunge to make a small NAS/Usenet box using Solaris.

I am starting with:
MSI Wind barebone kit
2GB RAM
4GB UDMA PNY CF Card (266x) (I keep thinking I would've been better off getting a mini-PCIe SSD)

Open Solaris 2008.11

So far the install went very smooth and I have it running with RO root (I still haven't finished configuring it but RO works).

The plan is to buy 3x 1TB external (USB :( ) drives and RAID-Z them with as much gzip compression as I can without becoming CPU-bound. The idea is that the compression will make up some for the fact that I am using USB drives.

The main point of this NAS will be being able to have some functionality, relatively fast NAS and not have to have my main machine on 24/7, therefore saving me some electricity. The way I have it set up now, it can send the magic WOL bit to my PC to turn it on and I can tunnel RDP through my router. That way if I need something from my home PC it's always available through a web interface tunneled through SSH.

I might not keep the CF card readonly and let the machine swap into the CF card if it needs to (still need to find out how to set swappiness on Solaris) and set up a script that backs up a snapshot of the CF to the RAID-Z pool. That way if the CF ever goes bad I load the LiveCD, copy the snapshot into a new CF and boot, voila.

I am in loving love with Open Solaris.

EDIT: O man, if I had to do it all over again I would've started with this motherboard instead

japtor posted:

:words:

Have you thought about using this thing instead?

deimos fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 12, 2008

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

deimos posted:

EDIT: O man, if I had to do it all over again I would've started with this motherboard instead

drat, that thing is pretty awesome in concept but it looks like you're SOL if you want to get one - looks like it's only being sold in bulk to NAS manufacturers, or to a few places that sell it for $500 on its own.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

drat, that thing is pretty awesome in concept but it looks like you're SOL if you want to get one - looks like it's only being sold in bulk to NAS manufacturers, or to a few places that sell it for $500 on its own.

Yeah I got a $545 quote for the LST shipped. Still... pretty awesome.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

deimos posted:

The plan is to buy 3x 1TB external (USB :( ) drives and RAID-Z them with as much gzip compression as I can without becoming CPU-bound. The idea is that the compression will make up some for the fact that I am using USB drives.

Sounds fine. If you're using binary groups, though, you're not likely to gain much from compression. If this is all for text groups, just enable LZW compression, which if I am remembering correctly is much faster.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

amerrykan posted:

When I issue 'zfs sharesmb=on mypool/storage', I receive "cannot share 'mypool/storage': smb add share failed".
Try prefixing your command with pfexec.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

deimos posted:

Have you thought about using this thing instead?
Haven't seen it, but it's a bit big for my use, basically just trying to go as small as possible and to fit under the Mac mini horizontally, which pretty much rules out the towers. If I were to go the tower route I would probably go for one of those basic 4-5 bay 3.5" drive towers (or something semi retarded like this), or splurge for the Chenbro case that's been posted a few times. It's not that much wider or thicker than the Apex case I posted and probably has more than enough room for any crazy configuration I could think of.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
So i'm going to get some sort of nas in the new year. I'm considering the following

dlink dns-323
2*1 tb hdds or 2*1.5tb hdds

i'm slightly paranoid about drive failure what sort of warning would i get if one of the drives started to fail? does this unit spin the drives down when idle?

What would the best scheme for seting up the drives jbod? raid 1? or is there enough power in this to use something more exotic like zfs?

Aside from those questions is it powerfulenough to run a webdav server (for mozila weave), a torrent client with an rss feed reader, share a printer, as well as and additional hdd (set up to mirror the important data , irespective of the partition scheme/raid) ?

google says yes to a usb hub, so hears hopeing i can afford it all come the new year.

pipingfiend
Jun 23, 2004

deimos posted:

Can that actually be done running the array over usb? I started building a NAS but case options have caused me to keep with what i bought or buy another case something like this might get me out of a pickle. I would make sure i would buy quality cases.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

pipingfiend posted:

Can that actually be done running the array over usb? I started building a NAS but case options have caused me to keep with what i bought or buy another case something like this might get me out of a pickle. I would make sure i would buy quality cases.

Sup USB buddy: http://blogs.sun.com/constantin/entry/opensolaris_home_server_zfs_and

pipingfiend
Jun 23, 2004
Sweet. Will give it a read.

For those guys out there using solaris or open solaris any guides to assistance on setting up Sabnzbd+ and a torrent client like torrentflux or wtorrent would be great.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

pipingfiend posted:

Sweet. Will give it a read.

For those guys out there using solaris or open solaris any guides to assistance on setting up Sabnzbd+ and a torrent client like torrentflux or wtorrent would be great.

I haven't tried it yet, but I am pretty sure you can even create a new open solaris install and plug in the three drives and the array will work.

On the Sabnzbd+ and torrent client end, I am not really worried about it because worst case you can create a linux kernel zone.

pipingfiend
Jun 23, 2004
I'll read into it further. Only issue left on my build is sorting out my torrents and news.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

HERAK posted:

i'm slightly paranoid about drive failure what sort of warning would i get if one of the drives started to fail?

No better than the kind of warning you'd get if they were plugged into anything else. I've worked with plenty of expensive multi disk arrays and have never seen SMART predict a drive failure.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

If you're paranoid about failure don't go over 1TB drives, you start going into the realm of high probability of read failure on RAID 5. I think it's 13TB drives that pretty much have a 100% probability of at least a single read failure when copying the entire drive.

deimos fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Okay deimos, science the gently caress out of us. How's that go?