Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

Burning_Monk posted:

Best Villian? Harmony, hands down.

She was great on Angel. I can't wait for her Season 8 comic story arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've been catching the early episodes of Angel on TNT, and I had forgotten the unrivaled badass awesomeness of The Beast - from his arrival and on for a few episodes, he is the ultimate in destruction. He's just walking around, loving everything up. And no one can stop him or figure him out.

The desperation of the Fang Gang is palpable, and with the blotting out of the sun, it's easy to understand how they acted on that desperation. It's quite a soap opera too, what with the Wes - Lilah - Fred - Gunn love ensemble.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

nemesis_hub posted:

Just thought some people might want to know, there's a pretty significant discount on the Angel complete set at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

Gold Box sales only last 24 hours iirc, so might wanna get on that quick.

Well despite my earlier blathering about Angel, I took the plunge and bought this. Let you guys know in a few months if I liked Angel on the second go-around.

dimeat
Feb 28, 2003

Well let’s see it. I mean if it’s as big as you say, I’ll be your girlfriend. [gasps] We could go to prom together.

nemesis_hub posted:

Just thought some people might want to know, there's a pretty significant discount on the Angel complete set at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

Gold Box sales only last 24 hours iirc, so might wanna get on that quick.

Yep, it only lasts 24 hours so there's about 6.5 hours left on this deal.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Hang on, what yellow crayon bit?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just watched "Fool For Love." I don't think I'd ever seen it before. It's definitely one of the best episodes. I always enjoy it when they flash back to the vampires' pasts.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Okay, now follow it up with Angel 2x07. They're two halves of the same episode.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump
Yeah, there's an awful lot of Angel, Spike, Darla, and Drusilla in the past stuff that links across the two series on their air dates. It's unfortunate for people watching each series through on DVD.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Stonefish posted:

Hang on, what yellow crayon bit?
That's referring to Xander's speech to Willow in the last episode of season 6, where he gets her to back down by reminding her of their shared childhood, etc.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Yeah, I remember the speech, but the content is a blur. I just couldn't keep giving a poo poo after enduring season 6's depression and then Willow's not-entirely-logical genocidal rampage.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
Erm... I don't think it was supposed to be logical.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
I kinda recall a bit of an attempt at crazy-person logic. Something about being able to feel the pain of every single person on the planet, and wanting to deal with it or something. By praying to Satan and nuking the planet.
Which is the exact opposite reaction Cordelia had. Read whatever you like into that :)

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
So now that I've decided to get the box set of Angel, is it worth it to watch it through with the corresponding season of Buffy (like it would have aired) or just the crossover episodes?

Also, are the crossover episodes fairly obvious from the Angel end?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Tupping Liberty posted:

Also, are the crossover episodes fairly obvious from the Angel end?

All of them are pretty obvious except "Fool for Love"/"Darla". That one isn't really a main story crossover, it's just that they use the same flashbacks only you get different things from them as the ones in "Fool for Love" are from Spike's perspective while "Darla" is from Angel and Darla's

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Just watch them separately. There was only one crossover that really mattered, involving Faith, near the first season of Angel, and even that one stands on its own.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I'll probably just re-watch the "Buffy" episodes that are involved with the crossovers when I get to the "Angel" halves.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!

Superrodan posted:

Just watch them separately. There was only one crossover that really mattered, involving Faith, near the first season of Angel, and even that one stands on its own.

There's another pretty important crossover in season 4 of angel, when faith is broken out of jail and ends up heading back to sunnydale with willow. Watching buffy on its own, she just kinda randomly shows up at the beginning of one episode with no explanation why.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Crossover spoilers:

Oz crosses over from Buffy with the Gem of Amara in Season 1, and then Buffy and Faith later that season; Willow comes over at the end of Season 2; Willow comes over in Season 4, and then takes Faith back with her to Buffy, then Angel takes the "amulet" over to Buffy at the end of Season 4, which comes back to Angel in Season 5; and then Andrew shows up twice on Angel in Season 5.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another crossover is that Spike joins the cast of Angel for Season 5.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Yeah, that's about half of them :)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I'm probably the last person to realize this, but I was trying to remember where I'd seen Felicia Day before when watching Dr. Horrible, and it just occurred to me out of nowhere today that she's the girl in that Cheetos commercial that throws Cheetos into the dryer with the other lady's whites.

Speaking of which, is there a certain way that the end of Dr. Horrible is supposed to be interpreted, or do they just leave that up to you? I couldn't tell if the whole series was supposed to be his imagination, or just what happened in part 3.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

raditts posted:

Speaking of which, is there a certain way that the end of Dr. Horrible is supposed to be interpreted, or do they just leave that up to you? I couldn't tell if the whole series was supposed to be his imagination, or just what happened in part 3.

No, it's nothing like that it all really happened. It's just to show that he had gotten everything he had wanted except for Penny. Even though he's now a successful supervillain in the League, he still feels sad and alone (like he usually was in his basement filming his blog)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

No, it's nothing like that it all really happened. It's just to show that he had gotten everything he had wanted except for Penny. Even though he's now a successful supervillain in the League, he still feels sad and alone (like he usually was in his basement filming his blog)

And that's how super villains are formed. By losing their hope and their faith in humanity. That this Lovable character of Dr. Horrible with a pHD in horribleness is now ready to be a bad guy because he's sad and he that which he really wanted taken from him by he who is considered good. When societies good guys become your enemies, you become the bad guy, even if you meant well in the beginning.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump
Just a reminder that Holtz can be found playing a cop in The Dark Knight. He's the one who gets taken hostage at GCPD central after being goaded into trying to torture The Joker.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Alexandr posted:

Just a reminder that Holtz can be found playing a cop in The Dark Knight. He's the one who gets taken hostage at GCPD central after being goaded into trying to torture The Joker.

Yeah, not so Holtzy though.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

raditts posted:

I'm probably the last person to realize this, but I was trying to remember where I'd seen Felicia Day before when watching Dr. Horrible, and it just occurred to me out of nowhere today that she's the girl in that Cheetos commercial that throws Cheetos into the dryer with the other lady's whites.

She was also one of the potential slayers on Buffy.

As for the ending, I'm agreeing with the folks above. To any outside observers, Dr. Horrible crippled his arch-nemesis and killed Hammer's girlfriend. That is some drat fine supervillainy that puts him up in The Green Goblin leagues.

The ending sequence & song shows that he really hits the big time, with fan clubs, partying with his posse, hobnobbing with the elites. Then it abruptly goes back to him blogging, since that's how we first saw him, as the lonely idealist out to change the world by any means necessary. Instead, he became a successful supervillain, indifferent to the morality of his actions, and still lonely.

Why are we spoilering this anyways?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

thrakkorzog posted:

To any outside observers, Dr. Horrible crippled his arch-nemesis and killed Hammer's girlfriend. That is some drat fine supervillainy that puts him up in The Green Goblin leagues.

Yeah I'm done spoilering it. The worst part is, the whole world blames him for killing the girl, and he blames captain hammer, Dr. Horrible is only the victim to those know what actually happened, mainly, nobody. So he can never come clean and make ammends and be forgiven and his enemy will always be the hero and victim in the public eye. Dr. Horrible is lucky that he has super villainy to help him cope with all this, otherwise he would just be a really sad guy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

thrakkorzog posted:

Why are we spoilering this anyways?

Because I wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone else who hadn't gotten around to watching it, but was reading this thread for some reason? sorry...

I just thought that he must have been imagining at least some of it, since the scenes of him singing about being all popular and super-villainy end with him finishing the song in his apartment. Your explanations sound better though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 15, 2008

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I just watched "City Of" for the first time. I must say, "Angel" started out rather well. When he kicked the vamp lawyer out of the window, it shocked me a bit. Didn't see that coming at all. Hopefully, I'll like the rest of the series as much as the first episode.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I just watched "City Of" for the first time. I must say, "Angel" started out rather well. When he kicked the vamp lawyer out of the window, it shocked me a bit. Didn't see that coming at all. Hopefully, I'll like the rest of the series as much as the first episode.

My favorite moment of that episode was the double stakes Batman beginning. It set the tone for a show that didn't live up to that tone for a bit, but eventually it got there. Angel as Batman always worked for me. But yes, the spoilered part there was a fantastic ending.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Bunnita posted:

My favorite moment of that episode was the double stakes Batman beginning. It set the tone for a show that didn't live up to that tone for a bit, but eventually it got there. Angel as Batman always worked for me. But yes, the spoilered part there was a fantastic ending.

My favorite moment from City Of is Doyle's "good gate" line. It's just an awesome pilot, though. However, I am so very very happy that they changed the horrendous vampire makeup right after.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
My favorite moment was Cordy's realization that the guy was a vampire.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Yeah, sames. "No, you're not pulling the wool over my eyes. I'm from Sunnydale. I eat pieces of poo poo like you for breakfast."
She actually beat Wesley's killcount (in uncontrolled circumstances).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bunnita posted:

One of the Vamps he kills is Sawyer from Lost.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I only wish he gave him a nickname before he got dusted.

"Forehead" would be a good one.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Rhyno posted:

One of the Vamps he kills is Sawyer from Lost.

Haha, seriously? I never noticed that before.

My favorite part of the pilot is probably Angel jumping into the wrong convertible when trying to rescue that girl in the parking garage.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

In "City of", along with the vampire effects, they also lost the theme of Angel being seriously tempted to feed off people.

At the end of Buffy Season 3, Buffy forces Angel to feed on her in order to cure him of the poison in his system. By this, he gets his taste for human blood back. Especially extra tasty Slayer blood - which has to taste pretty sweet to a vampire (Always thought Spike would take his time and enjoy the Slayers he killed, but he never did).

So Angel leaves Sunnydale, for all the reasons stated on the show, but also because Angel doesn't completely trust himself around Buffy. He's got to leave and clear his head of this desire. So he moves to LA.

In the episode, he has the moment in the alley where the bleeding victim clearly turns him on, and he is tempted. But he scares them off instead. But this plotline is pretty much dropped right here, except for a few situational episodes later on. Which is a shame, because this truly must be the biggest fight in Angel's life, around people: Not eating them.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
If he was getting by on nothing, then that would absolutely be true. But he's getting by on that pig's stuff, so it's probably slightly less of an issue.
He was always about suffering more than anything else. See also: Drusilla. He left her alive and healthy for ages, while snapping her mind.

kittehkitteh
Dec 18, 2008

I got into Buffy my first year in college, being as I was away from home and I was a loner. Last year I started the Season 8 comics, finished Firefly and Angel, and was all up for Dr. Horrible hype when it was released. I consider myself a Joss junky now :)

Like others have mentioned, Dollhouse will be the first Whedon show I will watch live. I just hope Fox doesn't suck the life out of it, which looks like a realistic possibility at this point.

Turns out it will be premiering on Friday the 13th (awesome...) which coincidentally is the anniversary of the Angel cancellation. More awesomeness. Also Friday is considered a dead spot for show placement.

The only light I can shed on this is BSG is airing at 10 on Fridays, with Terminator at 8 and Dollhouse at 9, so hopefully it can be hyped up on the web as "Sci-Fi Geek Night".

kittehkitteh fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 18, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

kittehkitteh posted:

Like others have mentioned, Dollhouse will be the first Whedon show I will watch live. I just hope Fox doesn't suck the life out of it, which looks like a realistic possibility at this point.

Turns out it will be premiering on Friday the 13th (awesome...) which coincidentally is the anniversary of the Angel cancellation. More awesomeness. Also Friday is considered a dead spot for show placement.

The only light I can shed on this is BSG is airing at 10 on Fridays, with Terminator at 8 and Dollhouse at 9, so hopefully it can be hyped up on the web as "Sci-Fi Geek Night".

I don't think we're getting beyond 13 episodes with Dollhouse, but frankly, I've made peace with that. I'm not equating cancellation with failure - I'm equating an ending without closure with failure, so if FOX calls Dollhouse after 7 episodes, or if the 13th episode ends on a cliffhanger, THEN I'll be pissed.

We'll see how it goes. I don't have faith in the show to last, but I have faith that FOX is doing right by the show. (Because let's be real, Dollhouse would get loving maraudered in the ratings on any other night. Fridays suck, but the great thing about it is that there's not much in the way of competition, and as Ghost Whisperer and Numbers proved, the right kind of show can thrive in that night. The doomsayers may ultimately be right, but it's better for your mental health to look at the whole situation from another angle.)

• Locked thread