Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulgarghost
Oct 18, 2002

mr youse neednt be so spry
I posted in the AI for-sale thread but if anyone near Kalamazoo wants a GS450 for cheap, it runs and needs some minor work but is a fine commuter. I'm moving to Massachusetts for my first real job with only a carload of possessions and can't take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
The problem with the Magna is that it's a V4 Honda. Working on it will be unpleasant. Getting any of the usual service items out will be a bitch, carbs are stuck in between the cylinders, getting to the valves will be ugly, and then, just to further pee on this parade, the early V4 Hondas are pretty notorious for having soft cams. If the cams are bad they cost $250 each to get reground, there are 4 of them. And if you have to ask Honda for new ones, you'll be able to claim part ownership in the dealer cuz you're spending some money. It's not a bike for someone with limited wrench time, although the limited part will no longer apply once you start in with that critter.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Someone needs to buy this: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=4957875&cat=144&lpid=4 :hitler:

Lawn
Jan 15, 2004

Positive Paul!
How reliable are high mileage sport bikes? I've seen a bunch of post 2000 bikes with 30k or so miles and was wondering how reliable modern bikes with that many miles are. I know a lot of it would just depend on who took care of it, but I figure if it made it to 30k miles it was at least owned by someone who did more than burnouts and wheelies. Specifically, would the 600cc race bikes with ~30k miles still be good if the price is low enough?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Depends. Is it your first bike? :can:

I see sport bikes with higher mileage as a dicey proposition. Chances are good that they've seen at least the occasional bout of abuse, they've gone through multiple riders posessed of questionable mechanical empathy, and are only still alive out of spite.

If it's a race bike you're looking for, specifically one with high miles, Z3n would be the one to ask, as he's had an SV track bike with retarded high mileage. I can't honestly tell you what my track bike has for mileage, as I've never bothered to take off the duct tape that's covering the speedo/odo on my guage cluster - it was there when I bought it, and the bike still works, so why worry? :downs:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Lawn posted:

How reliable are high mileage sport bikes? I've seen a bunch of post 2000 bikes with 30k or so miles and was wondering how reliable modern bikes with that many miles are. I know a lot of it would just depend on who took care of it, but I figure if it made it to 30k miles it was at least owned by someone who did more than burnouts and wheelies. Specifically, would the 600cc race bikes with ~30k miles still be good if the price is low enough?

It absolutely depends on the bike, the engine, and most importantly: The owner.

I blew 2 engines on my ZX-6E. One was due to a questionable repair by the PO to the top oil rails, and one was due to running it with a blown hose due to a bent front coolant rail (only leaked under pressure, temp gauge never went past halfway). The questionable repair made it 40k, the coolant-less engine made it 10k.

I've owned a couple of bikes over 30k, one of which was my SV, which had 135k on it, 2 seasons of racing, and fragged the tranny at 140k. The other was my 929 which was bought with 34k and ridden to 50k, and sold because I didn't need a bike like that and I could break even on it. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I could have put 100k+ on that bike without it breaking a sweat.

So, to answer your question: It depends. If the bike is immaculate (my 929 was picture perfect, showroom condition after 34k miles), then yes, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. If it's hosed up and looks like it's lived a hard life, I'd run. If it's some kid with no maintenence records, I'd run. If the guy is a responsible owner who knows the idiocicracies of the bike and model year, I'd buy it.

There are certain bikes and engines that are known for going the distance. The Honda 929, 954, VFRs, SV650s, F4/F4i, FZ1, and the Bandit 1200 all spring to mind. I've seen evidence of most bikes being capable theoretically of well over 100k with proper care, everything from Ducati 2 valvers to race reps. The problem is: You can't exactly figure that out if the work was done unless you have paperwork or the owner is a trustworthy guy...can be hit or miss.

But most of the time you can tell within seconds of looking at a bike if it was well taken care of or not. Ratty plastics, lovely fixes, chain hasn't been cleaned or lubed in months, brake fluid is black, it looks like it got tossed around a bunch. Stuff like that. If the bike has 30k on it, and you ask when the valves were done and the guy says "those don't need to be done" probably best to run...but I did run into a guy who had a FZ1 with 62k on it where the valves had never been done and the bike still ran fine. :psyduck:

I have more faith in high mileage literbikes not being abused, because honestly it's hard to abuse the bikes without getting yourself killed. Plus they don't get reved as hard around town. And...if you care for a SS bike properly, it could see the redline every time you ride it and still make it 40-50k+. One of the guys who taught me how to ride has a ZX-6E that gets the absolute poo poo kicked out of it every weekend, and he will still get 40-50k out of a properly built engine. This is a bike that gets real abuse, extended bouts of high RPM use and consistant full throttle. I've seen track and street SVs with 50k without the slightest issue.

Well, that's quite enough words.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 4, 2008

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I am going to check out a 1989 Honda Transalp tomorrow and was hoping I could get some opinions or input on the bike. This will be my fourth bike, having previously owned a KLR650, SV650, and a FZ1.

I've been communicating with the seller via email and he is asking $1000 for the bike. His description of it is that its in good shape, rideable, 31,000 miles on the engine and it doesn't leak any oil, has good tread on the tires and all the signals/lights work. He goes on to state that he was replaced the fuel petcock and valve and has put on a new shroud, and the main work the bike needs is new brake shoes.

Now, I'm not new to riding but I'm definitely pretty clueless when it comes to wrenching. Does this sound like a reasonable deal if the bike isn't trashed or am I getting myself into a world of trouble with this model or a bike this old?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. If it has 31k on the engine, does that mean that it's not the original? $1000 for pretty much any running bike without serious damage or ridiculous mileage seems to be the low end around here, so I may have my opinion skewed by that.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Hughmoris posted:

I am going to check out a 1989 Honda Transalp tomorrow and was hoping I could get some opinions or input on the bike. This will be my fourth bike, having previously owned a KLR650, SV650, and a FZ1.

I've been communicating with the seller via email and he is asking $1000 for the bike. His description of it is that its in good shape, rideable, 31,000 miles on the engine and it doesn't leak any oil, has good tread on the tires and all the signals/lights work. He goes on to state that he was replaced the fuel petcock and valve and has put on a new shroud, and the main work the bike needs is new brake shoes.

Now, I'm not new to riding but I'm definitely pretty clueless when it comes to wrenching. Does this sound like a reasonable deal if the bike isn't trashed or am I getting myself into a world of trouble with this model or a bike this old?

Sounds like a pretty good deal. A guy at the local bike (bicycle) shop was talking to me about motorcycles and he wants one but they are apparently very hard to find. Maybe just around here, though (Central PA).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Transalps are a very rare sight in the US, period. I've only seen a handful over the years, in person or for sale.

Hughmoris, that seems like a reasonable deal on that bike.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
How is this for a starter bike? I take the riding portion of the MSF this weekend and will be looking for a bike as soon as possible. Tomorrow will be the first time I've ever been on a motorcycle.

edit: I thought it was a bit pricey for a 25 year old bike. I'll keep looking, I'm willing to wait until after the holidays.

Watommi fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 6, 2008

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Watommi posted:

How is this for a starter bike? I take the riding portion of the MSF this weekend and will be looking for a bike as soon as possible. Tomorrow will be the first time I've ever been on a motorcycle.

Nice example but about 1000$ too expensive. I'm betting that this one is a "wife wants me to put it up for sale so by god it's going up for sale!".

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
What about this? I have no tools or know-how to repair bikes, but I figure there's no time like now to learn. I can probably swing a battery pretty easy, but how hard are carbs to work on? Is this doable for a complete non-mechanic, or should I look for something that would require less work?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Watommi posted:

What about this? I have no tools or know-how to repair bikes, but I figure there's no time like now to learn. I can probably swing a battery pretty easy, but how hard are carbs to work on? Is this doable for a complete non-mechanic, or should I look for something that would require less work?

If you can get it to start and run, it's probably alright. If it's a non-runner and it "just needs a battery" and it doesn't start with a jump because the "carbs are out of sync" he's full of poo poo and you should run.

Carbs aren't particularly difficult to work on, but would require time and patience.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

If you can get it to start and run, it's probably alright. If it's a non-runner and it "just needs a battery" and it doesn't start with a jump because the "carbs are out of sync" he's full of poo poo and you should run.

Carbs aren't particularly difficult to work on, but would require time and patience.

Pretty much what Z3 said. If it sounds like it's running on all 4 cylinders, the carbs could be basically OK but they aren't opening the same amount, so some cylinders are getting more fuel than others. This leads to vibration and less than optimal running, to get the carbs working in unison they need to be synchronized, hence, "out of synch".

OTOH, it is again a early Honda V4, known to be challenging to work on and having soft cams. The price is right for a running bike, the speedo is likely a bad cable that can be fixed with a $10 cable kit from NAPA, and even if the cams are bad it's not the end of the road. I've owned 2 early Interceptors, both had cams with big chunks missing and both would break the national speed limit in first gear (OK, so that's the old speed limit :v: ) . Even if it's a learning tool and dies on you, $700 is less that what depreciation and interest would cost if you bought a new or recent vintage used bike.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Watommi posted:

I may be mis-remembering but I seem to recall something about those early Sabres as Not Safe. Something about scary handling, I don't remember. Maybe I'm thinking of something else? Someone want to correct me?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Linedance posted:

I may be mis-remembering but I seem to recall something about those early Sabres as Not Safe. Something about scary handling, I don't remember. Maybe I'm thinking of something else? Someone want to correct me?

If the Sabre used the 16" front wheel, that might explain it. Honda and Guzzi were big into the 16" wheel to quicken th steering and sometimes it worked too well. I never had any trouble with my Interceptors, and they both had that design feature.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I like the 16" front wheel on my GS550ES. Reviewers liked them at the time. They also liked it on the XN85. Versus the 19 on my '80 it's pretty magical. Sadly, finding rubber for them sucks. :-(

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 8, 2008

youwantsomewang
Sep 2, 2004

I found a biek for sale here in the great white north. It's an '86 gsxr 1100. Sexy as hell and the owner says he'll sell it for $800 CDN. There is work to be done, however, and I quote:

quote:

The good news since May 08:
New tires
New windshield
New chain
New brakes
New gear shifter linkage
New left front foot peg bracket
Been running semi-synthetic since May

The Bad new since May:
2nd gear is almost gone - if you put a little pressure on the shifter with your foot, you can run 2nd gear right through, but it jumps out otherwise!

Valves could use adjusting in the spring, but loads of compression.
A few minor oil leaks - minimal
Fairings have some cracks

What should I do?

youwantsomewang fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 8, 2008

Simkin
May 18, 2007

So.... he's only done minor maintenance to it then, and left the major mechanical problems for the next person to buy it off him? :cool:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

fixing second gear is MAJOR work. Though it sounds like it's just a bent shift fork, it's still a "pull the engine, split the cases" type fix. The bike is worth $400 at most. You're talking a grand in shop time and parts to fix it.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Most of the time when you have a beat second gear it means the bike has spent a decent amount of time getting the poo poo beat out of it. Most of the stuntaaaz end up getting back cut gears because of this.
I am willing to bet the bike has been hammered and will end up needing other internal work shortly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bugdrvr posted:

Most of the time when you have a beat second gear it means the bike has spent a decent amount of time getting the poo poo beat out of it. Most of the stuntaaaz end up getting back cut gears because of this.
I am willing to bet the bike has been hammered and will end up needing other internal work shortly.

On the flip side, those engines are absolutely absurdly beefy, they're what the Bandit 12 is based off of. Suzuki Air/Oil cooled 1100. You can bore them, beat the poo poo out of then, do whatever the christ you want to them and they'll come back for more.

But the transmission is toast, so gently caress it unless you can get it for really cheap.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I'd bargain him down, and fix it myself. But that's just me ;-) I would NOT recommend you do that.

youwantsomewang
Sep 2, 2004

Thanks guys. gently caress it.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
Anyone know anything about Yamaha Radians?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/952020544.html

Again, I'm looking for a good starter/beginner bike, just rode for the first time this weekend at the MSF course. I really like the way this bike looks, and everything I can find about it makes it look like a good learner bike. Is this price too high, or anything bad I need to know about them?

edit: This looks so amazingly awesome. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/951888619.html

Watommi fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 10, 2008

Simkin
May 18, 2007

The radian's a good bike. I think it just brushes up agains the upper range suggested for new riders, but failing that, it's an old and fairly solid engine design, it's not too high mileage, considering the year, and it's naked. These are all points in its favour. I had an FJ600 as my first bike, and I believe that the Radian has the same engine - an air-cooled, 8-valve, inline four. The price does seem a bit steep, but if you could get him down to >$1500 that would probably be an okay deal.

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.
Posted this in the general questions thread, but on second thought this might be a better place...

I'm going to look at this Bandit 600 today. Buyer said the front left fairing is cracked from a lay-down; I will see how bad it actually is, and if there are scratches indicating a wreck or if someone just tipped it over. Didn't mention mileage.

Anything in particular I should be looking out for specific to this model?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/940680845.html

Wondering what you guys thought of this. Looking for a decent (older) entry level bike. This isn't my first bike and I took my MSF. Just to get that out of the way.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Christoff posted:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/940680845.html

Wondering what you guys thought of this. Looking for a decent (older) entry level bike. This isn't my first bike and I took my MSF. Just to get that out of the way.

Little on the high side pricewise for a bike like that. Doesn't look like it's in great shape, even from the picture. I'd pass and wait for something that takes modern rubber at around the same price.

I'd buy this, actually:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/961499300.html

Not perfect shape, but a good, decent entry level bike, nice 600cc engine, with a little suspension work (springs) it'll hang with the big boys with a decent rider on it. Plus comfortable enough to tour on all day. Was made for quite awhile, so you won't have any problems finding parts.

I rode Kawasaki's equivalent of that for almost 50k miles. It was a fantastic bike, an excellent all arounder.

Or are you looking for something for twisty blasts only?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

This would be just for local town cruising. There's also the salvage title option.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/958386758.html

Which is kind of hit or miss.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Christoff posted:

This would be just for local town cruising. There's also the salvage title option.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/958386758.html

Which is kind of hit or miss.

If that's in good shape, I'd be all over it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

quote:

I really don't know why it was salvaged but it was not by me. The bike needs nothing runs perfect and also I will include 2 spark plugs that I bought for the bike. The rear tire is new about two hundred miles but the front still has some good tread about 70 percent. The bike runs straight. Unfortunately the bike doesn't come with any gear since I still ride.

How do you not know why a bike was salvaged? Anything else I should ask? Any SoCal goons wanna come with me? :v:

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Christoff posted:

How do you not know why a bike was salvaged? Anything else I should ask? Any SoCal goons wanna come with me? :v:

When are you gonna go? I'm in Diego, but I have friends in Santa Ana that I've been meaning to visit.

Read this before you go: http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Zenaida posted:

When are you gonna go? I'm in Diego, but I have friends in Santa Ana that I've been meaning to visit.

Read this before you go: http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

Beggers can't be choosers. If you'd really be willing to check it out let me know when you can.

Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.
I actually found a great deal I am jumping on tomorrow morning.
1991 nighthawk 750 for $1800, 36k miles, new chain new tires and runs great.

I've always wanted a nighthawk 750
It's not a huge jump up from my ninja 500R, I imagine they perform somewhat
similar, but for some reason I've just always wanted one of them.

edit: forgot to mention the reason I want a new bike is because my 500R has some extremely-expensive-to-repair engine problems.

Datsun Honeybee fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 20, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Well, I'm gonna go check out that bike I posted above tomorrow.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/961124624.html

I still need gear, obviously. Yes, I know. Spend $1,000 and get this and that.

What's a fair lowball offer?

quote:

Maint was done by a shop in san Diego called vey powersports and no damage at all except for exterior. Price is pretty firm but can be negotiated. I put a new add up on craigslist. Just type ninja 500 and bike is located in Westminister at my friends house. He is storing it for me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Datsun Honeybee posted:

I actually found a great deal I am jumping on tomorrow morning.
1991 nighthawk 750 for $1800, 36k miles, new chain new tires and runs great.

I've always wanted a nighthawk 750
It's not a huge jump up from my ninja 500R, I imagine they perform somewhat
similar, but for some reason I've just always wanted one of them.

edit: forgot to mention the reason I want a new bike is because my 500R has some extremely-expensive-to-repair engine problems.

Sounds a little on the high side. Maybe offer around 1500$? If it's in good shape though 1800$ would be on the high side.

Christoff, I'd see if he'd take 1k for it. That'd be a great deal, 1200$ would be reasonable for both you and him. As long as there's no huge problems with it. Maintenence records are a plus, and if it's clean and in good shape besides some cosmetics, I'd still pay 1400$ for it. But because he says he's negotiable, work that poo poo down.

Things that would cause me to not pay 1400$ for it would be title issues or obvious negligence.

Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.

Z3n posted:

Sounds a little on the high side. Maybe offer around 1500$? If it's in good shape though 1800$ would be on the high side.

I might try to haggle with him in person, over the phone he didn't want to budge, but maybe it will be different when I'm standing there with the money.

From what he says, and the photos, it seems to be in good shape ... I am however going in armed with my flashlight and probing questions. Hopefully he lets me take it for a short ride around the 'hood. I have had a motorcycle license for the last 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I need to stop looking at bikes

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/959019659.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/964084563.htmll

Thanks for the help so far guys