Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CT2049
Jul 24, 2007

mobn posted:

By then he's grown up a fair bit. I'm talking about Xander while they're in high school. By the time Riley shows up Xander has grown up at least a bit, and he's in a fairly happy relationship with Anya.

...and still hating on Angel. Yeah, he originally hated Angel due to the crush on Buffy, but after that he was still the only one who recognized how dangerous he was. Kind of falling in with the whole seeing everything, but having no power aspect to his character.

Meh, whether this is true or just something I linked together in my head doesn't really matter to me. He's still my favorite character made the show for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

CT2049 posted:

...and still hating on Angel. Yeah, he originally hated Angel due to the crush on Buffy, but after that he was still the only one who recognized how dangerous he was. Kind of falling in with the whole seeing everything, but having no power aspect to his character.

Yeah, I think as he grows up he stops hating Angel for jealousy reasons, but that jealousy allows the more mature Xander to hold a perspective on Angel that the others are a bit blind too.

It still doesn't change for me what an rear end in a top hat he was in the first three seasons. He put a lot of unneccessary stress on an already super-stressed Buffy to satisfy his personal feelings, and it really sours me to him until a good 3/4 of the way through Season 4, where I finally come around to him after he proves himself fairly reliable to the team.

-abe-
Oct 24, 2008

by The Finn
It seems to me that people are overreacting to that two minute clip.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

mobn posted:

Yeah, I think as he grows up he stops hating Angel for jealousy reasons, but that jealousy allows the more mature Xander to hold a perspective on Angel that the others are a bit blind too.

It still doesn't change for me what an rear end in a top hat he was in the first three seasons. He put a lot of unneccessary stress on an already super-stressed Buffy to satisfy his personal feelings, and it really sours me to him until a good 3/4 of the way through Season 4, where I finally come around to him after he proves himself fairly reliable to the team.

I look it at as Xander was a teenager, and acted like a dumbass. Because that is what teenage boys do. He played the passive-aggressive nice guy to a T. His, "I know once I badmouth Angel enough, and let Buffy cry on my shoulder enough, she will be mine," strategy was pure e/n thread material.

Really, the worst he did was point out to Buffy that Angel was a vampire every chance he could, and occasionally ask out Buffy, when he wasn't distracted by his date with a demon woman.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

-abe- posted:

It seems to me that people are overreacting to that two minute clip.

THIS IS THE INTERNET, I WILL OVER REACT AND OPINE IF I GODDAMNED WANTED TO, D'YE HEAR?

I think that clip is responsible for all the evil in the world. :colbert:

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

thrakkorzog posted:

Really, the worst he did was point out to Buffy that Angel was a vampire every chance he could, and occasionally ask out Buffy, when he wasn't distracted by his date with a demon woman.

Except for the season 2 finale, when Willow sent him to tell Buffy to put off killing Angel as long as possible because she was trying the spell again, and he showed up and just told Buffy to kick his rear end.

Xander REALLY pissed me off. I like him, but there were episodes where I just wanted to slap him for being such a jerk. Buffy has a hard enough time as it is, and a lot of times he just goes and makes it harder.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
I just love how it took five years for that one to get resolved.

Kyaris
Aug 10, 2004

Stonefish posted:

I just love how it took five years for that one to get resolved.
I thought it was funny that it did get resolved. I had figured by that point in the series it was just going to be dropped.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mobn posted:

He does it with Willow too, even when he's banging Cordie.
I'm pretty sure Xander never "banged" Cordelia. Unfortunately, I think his first sexual encounter was getting raped by Faith.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
That's an interesting turn of phrase, redshirt.
One that I do not support. :quagmire:

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Season 5s "Body" was incredibly sad, and Season 6s "Once More, With Feeling" was absolutely fantastic. Anya's personality also never gets old. Only one and a half seasons before I'm done with Buffy and Angel, I don't want it to end :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redshirt posted:

I'm pretty sure Xander never "banged" Cordelia. Unfortunately, I think his first sexual encounter was getting raped by Faith.

Not a bad way to start things out really.

leebenningfield
Dec 11, 2004

This is Leviathan? This is your fucking guy?
Has anyone listened to the musical commentary on the Dr. Horrible dvd? This is almost better than the show itself. I'm just going back and forth listening to the regular audio and then "Commentary!", I can't get enough.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
I've had to give up Dr Horrible. If I listen to it again in the next few months, I'm going to have On The Rise stuck in my head for the rest of my life.

Awesome, but counterproductive.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

But...

but...

it's plain to see...

Is the commentary actually a musical or is that just a joke on the cover?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

LividLiquid posted:

But...

but...

it's plain to see...

Is the commentary actually a musical or is that just a joke on the cover?

It's actually a musical. It doesn't actually talk about the movie much, but there's a non-musical commentary that does a better job of that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That is so worth the price of admission alone. When I saw "Commentary! The musical!" on the box, I figured it was just a joke.

Royal Ransom
Feb 8, 2006
Bitches!
The Evil League of Evil Applicants are pretty awesome.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Finally watched Commentary: The Musical today, and it was pretty good. A few of the songs were too self-indulgent and went on too long, but most of it was good fun. I wish Moist's song had been included originally!

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Oh, snap. If I'm not mistaken, After The Fall just killed Connor, Illyria, and the Groosalugg.

I still don't know exactly where the story's going, but I have to say it's been really good getting there. Hopefully more will be revealed about what Wolfram and Hart's been doing behind the scenes.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I gave up on the comics months ago. They're way too cartoony compared to the shows and I feel like Joss is making GBS threads all over his only two successes because he can't let go. I get wanting to do Firefly comics, it was cut off premature, but Buffy and Angel both had perfectly good closure and these comics just lack all the emotional punch and interesting character interaction that made the shows great.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm up in the air over the comics at this point. I'm sorta trudging through Angel at this point (the art is downright hideous sometimes) and I didn't really enjoy the most recent Buffy arc with Fray and Buffy killing Willow a few hundred years in the future. It felt like it was going for deep, meaningful emotion that instead came off as 'Wait, what's going on?'.

The Buffy one-shot was decent, though. It was nice to see Buffy back in High School, and JOYCE! Also, Giles has the best Giles moment in the comic series so far.

I don't know. I'm hoping the comics pick up, although I don't know how they wouldn't, since the next Buffy arc is Harmony! and rumors of another Faith arc further down the line.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
I'm quite enjoying the Buffy comics so far, but the once-a-month pace is a bit annoying considering only a relatively limited amount of stuff can happen in each one.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

ShardPhoenix posted:

I'm quite enjoying the Buffy comics so far, but the once-a-month pace is a bit annoying considering only a relatively limited amount of stuff can happen in each one.

Welcome to the plight of a comic reader. I have a friend who just reads them in trade. I envy her patience.

The Fray arc really confused the hell out of anyone I knew that hadn't read Fray.

leebenningfield
Dec 11, 2004

This is Leviathan? This is your fucking guy?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

A few of the songs were too self-indulgent and went on too long

"That song had no content. It wasn't even about the movie, it was about itself. That's like breaking the 9th wall, it's pointless"

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Spaceboy posted:

Also, Giles has the best Giles moment in the comic series so far.

Yes indeedy

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I just watched the commentary on the first episode of season 6, and Marti Noxon's commentary is really telling. All she does is make fun of all the things she perceives as "stupid" or badly done, even though by and large it was good stuff, and she doesn't seem to take the show very seriously at all. It's a small wonder that the episodes she had a heavy hand in weren't all that good. David Fury seems to know what's what though.

Although Jane Espenson's commentaries are worse. I'm already watching the ep, you don't need to tell me what's happening on screen because it's on the loving screen.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Royal Ransom posted:

The Evil League of Evil Applicants are pretty awesome.

I haven't picked up the DVD yet, but please tell me Tur Mohel (and his evil Minyan) made it in.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

404GoonNotFound posted:

I haven't picked up the DVD yet, but please tell me Tur Mohel (and his evil Minyan) made it in.

Holy poo poo. That was one of the best things ever.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Did anyone else notice the Dr. Horrible wiccan subtitles? After a few minutes they spit out a string of numbers. I have no clue what those numbers are for.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

mobn posted:

Although Jane Espenson's commentaries are worse. I'm already watching the ep, you don't need to tell me what's happening on screen because it's on the loving screen.
That's her idea of insight. It's loving horrible. Espenson is a wonderful writer, but her commentary is literally the worst I've ever heard.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Jack Skeleton posted:

The Fray arc really confused the hell out of anyone I knew that hadn't read Fray.

The obvious solution, then, is that they should read Fray. :colbert:

No, really, if they have any Buffy/comics interest, they should. It's easily one of the best Buffy-related things in comic form (along with the Faith arc of Season 8 and Tales of the Vampires, IMO). Even if they didn't end up liking that "time travel future Willow lots o' questions no answers evil!Riley?" arc, they might still like Fray.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yup, he did. Not the best one in my opinion, Mr. Terrible's music was the highest quality.

Commentary the Musical had me in tears. Especially "There's no Asians in the Movies" and the line "Do your laundry, thank you, prease" I think overall it ties Return of the King for best Special Features of any DVD. RotK for sheer amount of content, and Dr. Horrible for most hilarious ever. The making ofs were fantastic, and the regular commentary was great too.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I had no intention of picking up the Dr. Horrible DVD, until I read this thread, and specifically "Commentary! The Musical!"

Joss, I was a fool. So sorry.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Y'know... I'm listening to the Musical Commentary right now. I'm at Zack's rap.

I'm bored off my rear end and not enjoying this in the slightest. I do not understand how this is possible. Nathan's song just seemed to go on for-loving-ever Felicia's song was stupid, and Zack's is not inventive or interesting in the slightest.

Psimitry fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 1, 2009

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
A little off topic (actually, sort of a response to an earlier post, but I won't quote it because the spoilers would get complicated). What's the fandom's opinion of the Groosalugg? There was some talk about him earlier, and it seemed rather positive. I thought he was a horribly bland character- no personality at all. He was the perfect knight, and in a cast full of deeply troubled characters, there was nothing really interesting about him. I found myself pulling for him to get the hell off the show through most of season 3. When we finally got rid of him, he was quickly replaced by Connor, who at least had some personality (sadly, after a while you start wishing he didn't). The worst was when Angel was falling in love with Cordelia at just the same time Groo showed up in L.A., and we were treated to a whole episode of Angel and Groo shopping for magical condoms he could use with Cordelia. And the whole time Cordy keeps dropping all this innuendo to Angel about how she going to tap Groo's rear end later on. Probably it had something to do with Cordy denying her feelings for Angel or something, but that whole episode was just loving embarrassing to me.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

In truth, I just try to ignore Angel seasons 3-4. Sure, there were some really good bits here and there, but I just can't bring myself to give a poo poo about Groo, Angel falling for Cordie, Connor, Holtz, etc.

If I watch Angel on random episodes (as I am often doing), I always select seasons 1,2, and 5.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Jurgan posted:

A little off topic (actually, sort of a response to an earlier post, but I won't quote it because the spoilers would get complicated). What's the fandom's opinion of the Groosalugg? There was some talk about him earlier, and it seemed rather positive. I thought he was a horribly bland character- no personality at all. He was the perfect knight, and in a cast full of deeply troubled characters, there was nothing really interesting about him. I found myself pulling for him to get the hell off the show through most of season 3. When we finally got rid of him, he was quickly replaced by Connor, who at least had some personality (sadly, after a while you start wishing he didn't). The worst was when Angel was falling in love with Cordelia at just the same time Groo showed up in L.A., and we were treated to a whole episode of Angel and Groo shopping for magical condoms he could use with Cordelia. And the whole time Cordy keeps dropping all this innuendo to Angel about how she going to tap Groo's rear end later on. Probably it had something to do with Cordy denying her feelings for Angel or something, but that whole episode was just loving embarrassing to me.

I actually really liked the episode you're referring to, "Couplet". Not just because it has the most awesome cliffhanger of any Angel episode, but it reveals a lot about Angel's view on his life, his motivations, and what he has going for him. I'll admit that the Groosalugg was ultra annoying in Pylea (like everything else in Pylea), but I did like his short stint in season three because his showing up provided some great character moments for both Angel and Cordy. He got kind of useless again in After the Fall though.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Jurgan posted:

Groo is comic relief. When everybody else is busy being broody and emotionally damaged, he is continually hilarious by contrasting a character more stereotypical of the genre with what Whedon typically gives us. If he'd become a regular cast member it could have gotten old, but I think he was around just long enough to be funny and change things up without overstaying his welcome. Basically he's the anti-Spike (queue fifty pages of bad posts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm about halfway through season three of "Angel" and, even though the whole 'Connor' plotline is a bit odd, I think it's still pretty great. Fred's terribly cute, and Lorne is awesome.

I really like Holtz. He's a cold-hearted bastard.

At the same time, I'm at roughly the same chronological point in Buffy, season six. Re-watching it now, it really seems like everyone's WAY too hard on Buffy. She should've been left in the ground. For at least a little while. It would've been an interesting development in the storyline.

• Locked thread