Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Zo posted:

Tales of Hearts is pretty amazing, and even right after having finished Vesperia I can still say that.

The combat is ridiculously fast since you're basically always in overdrive mode as long as you stock up your gauge (can infinitely chain any skills into any skills). Pinning enemies against the ceiling for a 50 hit air combo is just fun. You're not forced to use healers, finally! You can call for heals from benched party members, and the heal stone mechanics provide a lot of your healing too once you get far into the game. The skills mechanics (learning skills from weapons) actually makes a lot of sense since you upgrade your weapons in one of three routes each time, and each one unlocks different categories of skills, so you can build your characters how you want.

The story is typical tales garbage though, and right after Vesperia it's like I'm playing the same loving game over again. Except I loving hate half my party (which is a better ratio than most JRPGs though).

Highly recommended import regardless of language barrier.

Hate as in... Natalia from Abyss for being a stupid princess who sucked in battle, or hate as in Emil from Symphonia 2 for being the whiniest piece of poo poo featured in any JRPG?

The first one I can deal with, the second one makes me want to break a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Natalia? She ruled, I had her as my controlled character for almost all of Abyss.

Glad to hear Hearts is good. How is the voice acting, in quantity and quality? Also, is the enemy variety good? Tales of Innocence sucked there, waaaaay too many palette swapped enemies.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
There's a surprising amount of voice acting in ToH, more than in most other JRPGs on the system. I believe it uses the biggest cart size out there, 2GiB or something like that, not entirely sure. It doesn't sound too compressed either.

Mystic Arte wise, everybody has at least one, Shing seems to have two, but nobody knows how to do the second one or if it's even in the game. People have also found a list of all the cameo assists and their attacks, and here they are:

-Groovy Arche (Arche, Tales of Phantasia)
-Majinken/Demon Fang (Stan, Tales of Destiny)
-Rover Item (Rutee, Tales of Destiny)
-Kyokkouheki/Aurora Wall (Rid, Tales of Eternia)
-Kuuhatokkoudan (Loni, Tales of Destiny 2)
-Spiral Driver (Loni, Tales of Destiny 2)
-Final Prayer (Loni, Tales of Destiny 2)
-Senretsukokousen (Judas, Tales of Destiny 2)
-Kogarenzan (Lloyd, Tales of Symphonia)
-Kogetsusen (Presea, Tales of Symphonia)
-Shougetsusousen (Presea, Tales of Symphonia)
-F Flame (Mao, Tales of Rebirth)
-Hiougousgouga (Tytree, Tales of Rebirth)
-Keigansairakugeki (Senel, Tales Legendia)
-Ignite Prison/Infernal Prison (Jade, Tales of the Abyss)
-Sousenga (Anise, Tales of the Abyss)
-X-Buster (Anise, Tales of the Abyss)
-Akisazame/Sword Rain Alpha (Guy, Tales of the Abyss)
-Pierce Line/Piercing Line (Natalia, Tales of the Abyss)
-Beast Blow (Caius, Tales of the Tempest)
-Raise Dead/Resurrection (Rubia, Tales of the Tempest)
-Houshoushuuzan (Ruca, Tales of Innocence)
-Tide Bullet (Iria, Tales of Innocence)
-Ensenga/Shining Fang (Yuri, Tales of Vesperia)
-Resshouyoku (Chalcedny, Tales of Hearts)
-Koranryuuseiotoshi (Krandam, Tales of Hearts)
-Quill Banger (Tetsu Hagane, Tales of Hearts)
-Chrome no Maken (Gilgamesh, Tower of Druaga)
-Cyclone (Valkyrie, Valkyrie's Adventure)
-Wagyanizer (Wagyan, Wagyan Land)
-Kawarawarisoushou (Heihachi, Tekken)
-Kazedama (Klonoa, Klonoa)
-R Cannon (KOS MOS, Xenogears)
-G Shot (KOS MOS, Xenogears)
-High Five (High Touch) (Yayoi Takatsuki, The Idolmaster)

Barbatos also appears in some form, there's a title you get from meeting him, but nobody's found him yet. For ToD2 fans, Beryl has Crazy Comet, complete with extentions.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 22, 2008

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Eddain posted:

Hate as in... Natalia from Abyss for being a stupid princess who sucked in battle, or hate as in Emil from Symphonia 2 for being the whiniest piece of poo poo featured in any JRPG?

The first one I can deal with, the second one makes me want to break a game.

Not as bad as Symphonia 2, which I actually stopped playing for a while now, thank god. In battle, everybody is strong and I constantly change my party to have the right elements for whatever dungeon I'm in.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Natalia? She ruled, I had her as my controlled character for almost all of Abyss.

Glad to hear Hearts is good. How is the voice acting, in quantity and quality? Also, is the enemy variety good? Tales of Innocence sucked there, waaaaay too many palette swapped enemies.
Never played ToI but there's a surprisingly huge amount of enemies here. If there are palette swaps I haven't noticed more than 5 or 6 out of several dozen enemy types, and I'm only a bit past halfway through (I'm guessing). Except on the field, there's only like 4 different sprites you bump into to initiate fights.

And yeah voice acting is top notch for a DS game. Only about 1/3 or 1/4 of skits are voiced though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

whoa explain Tales of Heart to me, and why characters from other games are in them. Especially KOS MOS :psyduck:

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
ToH is the newest mainline Tales game, which got recently released for the DS. It's developed by a combination of Teams Symphonia and Destiny, and one of the big system gimmicks this time is that you can call assists, much like a fighting game such as the Marvel Vs series, to do attacks for you. Because Namco love their cameos, you can obtain characters from other Tales games, and from other Namco games entirely as assists. They just come in, do their thing, and vanish.

This isn't the first time KOS-MOS has been in a Tales game. She was also in TOTW: Narikiri Dungeon 3, which was a big crossover Tales game for the GBA. Here's a screenshot of some of the assists someone got.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 22, 2008

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Zo posted:

:psyduck:

That would be _interesting_. I'm not sure I could understand a game where I couldn't understand jack though.

Speaking of Language Barrier, has anyone here played the Phantasia PSX with the translation patch?

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
One thing of note is that the CG movie edition of ToH seems to have been a failed experiment. It sold about 14k on the first day opposed to the anime movie edition's over 100k. Not only that, the back of the CG edition's box has very small screenshots of the CG itself whereas anime cutscenes are prominent on the anime edition's box, as well as the artwork for the two lead characters. I also believe that they stopped running commercials for the CG edition in Japan prior to the game's release.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BurningCourage posted:

One thing of note is that the CG movie edition of ToH seems to have been a failed experiment. It sold about 14k on the first day opposed to the anime movie edition's over 100k. Not only that, the back of the CG edition's box has very small screenshots of the CG itself whereas anime cutscenes are prominent on the anime edition's box, as well as the artwork for the two lead characters. I also believe that they stopped running commercials for the CG edition in Japan prior to the game's release.

To be fair, the CG edition's style is embarrassingly bad. It's no wonder it didn't sell at all.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Even Namco seem to think it's awful :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zo posted:

How difficult would it be to understand for someone with zero kanji experience?

VVV Yuri is a large departure from the typical RPG protagonist in that he's actually rather intelligent and remains pretty intelligent for most of the game. I can't remember any emo from the game, but I don't know where you are, so I can't say for certain.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 22, 2008

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I've kinda skimmed this thread to avoid spoilers, but I just wanted to put in my two cents about Yuri. Holy poo poo is he going to ruin protagonists from other jRPGs for me. He's just so loving, I don't know, self-aware I guess, that is completely different from the other 99.99% of characters out there. He's so easy to identify with because he's not a loving moron and the moral issues he goes through is something I could see myself actually going through and not some stupidly obvious moronic false dilemmas that's portrayed in most jRPGs. His writing has totally blown me away. Of course this could be ruined as I'm only about 50% through (I think), and I have a scary feeling there may be some emo about Flynn coming up, but this should be a benchmark other games should try to emulate.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Vyse_23 posted:

VVV Yuri is a large departure from the typical RPG protagonist in that he's actually rather intelligent and remains pretty intelligent for most of the game. I can't remember any emo from the game, but I don't know where you are, so I can't say for certain.

Estelle and Judith get some slight emo moments, but they are completely awesome, while Rita's emo moments are optional and part of a sidequest
Yuri remains awesome throughout the whole game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Estelle and Judith get some slight emo moments, but they are completely awesome, while Rita's emo moments are optional and part of a sidequest
Yuri remains awesome throughout the whole game.

Huh. I must have been too caught up in the awesome to notice the emo. I personally think the whole cast is completely awesome from beginning to end - except Karol, up until his CMoA in the Blade Drifts.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Vyse_23 posted:

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you've played tales games before. And if by that you mean you can read kana then you're fine. The only thing I could see someone getting caught up on is setting up the heal stone parameters.

I mean the plot's not exactly hemingway, an idiot could figure it out.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zo posted:

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you've played tales games before. And if by that you mean you can read kana then you're fine. The only thing I could see someone getting caught up on is setting up the heal stone parameters.

I mean the plot's not exactly hemingway, an idiot could figure it out.

I can read hiragana and katakana and have a reasonable understanding of the grammar.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zo posted:

Not as bad as Symphonia 2, which I actually stopped playing for a while now, thank god. In battle, everybody is strong and I constantly change my party to have the right elements for whatever dungeon I'm in.

Never played ToI but there's a surprisingly huge amount of enemies here. If there are palette swaps I haven't noticed more than 5 or 6 out of several dozen enemy types, and I'm only a bit past halfway through (I'm guessing). Except on the field, there's only like 4 different sprites you bump into to initiate fights.

And yeah voice acting is top notch for a DS game. Only about 1/3 or 1/4 of skits are voiced though.
Thanks. One last question though; ToI had HORRRIBLE HORRIBLE DUNGEONS, which were mazes of identical looking rooms, with no automap system. Does ToH have this problem?

edit: what's with millions of people understanding hiragana, katakana, grammar, but no kanji? Weren't those all taught to you at roughly the same time?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Samurai Sanders posted:

Thanks. One last question though; ToI had HORRRIBLE HORRIBLE DUNGEONS, which were mazes of identical looking rooms, with no automap system. Does ToH have this problem?

edit: what's with millions of people understanding hiragana, katakana, grammar, but no kanji? Weren't those all taught to you at roughly the same time?

Well there are two different types of dungeons. One is your normal castle/forest/sewers/etc and they are pretty good here, with an automap on the bottom screen. The other kind is entering people's heads and they are called spirimazes for a reason, but there's still an automap and a pointer to the exit so it's never frustrating.

Haven't gotten stuck once yet, the layouts make a lot of sense in general.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

At least with me, I can read basic kanji pretty well, but video games often seem to use kanji that I either never learned, or kanji that I know but didn't use enough to be able to get immediately, especially when on the DS or GBA they are so small that they just kinda look like blobs of characters. Super Robot Wars in particular is bad about putting together tons of kanji to the point my brain just goes "Eeeh"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

The class I just finished this quarter didn't even introduce katakana, much less kanji. The only reason I can read any katakana is from self-teaching. I haven't taught myself kanji yet, simply because of how many there are.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vyse_23 posted:

The class I just finished this quarter didn't even introduce katakana, much less kanji. The only reason I can read any katakana is from self-teaching. I haven't taught myself kanji yet, simply because of how many there are.
Well, take heart, only about 500 represent 80% of written Japanese, and 2000 are 95% or something. Once you get past about 200 kanji, learning the next kanji becomes cake.

Anyway, Tales of Hearts sounds good, I will have to partake of it someday. I really need to limit my gaming expenses though, and I'm already buying Gundam Musou 2 this month.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, take heart, only about 500 represent 80% of written Japanese, and 2000 are 95% or something. Once you get past about 200 kanji, learning the next kanji becomes cake.

Anyway, Tales of Hearts sounds good, I will have to partake of it someday. I really need to limit my gaming expenses though, and I'm already buying Gundam Musou 2 this month.

Well you could probably find a bag of the CG edition in a dumpster somewhere v:shobon:v

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well there's like 46 kana and about 5 million kanji, learning one takes a hell of a lot less effort than the other. I always have a hard time motivating myself to learn stuff that's just rote memorisation anyway.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Xythar posted:

Well there's like 46 kana and about 5 million kanji, learning one takes a hell of a lot less effort than the other. I always have a hard time motivating myself to learn stuff that's just rote memorisation anyway.
Well but I'm telling you, after the first 200 you start seeing patterns and then it becomes not at all rote memorization.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So I'm guessing if you don't read Japanese at all ToH would be rather pointless?

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
So the Wii Tales game has a name now, the incredibly creative "Tales of 10". Apparently the setting is inspired by medieval Europe this time,

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2008/1553.html

Eddain
May 6, 2007

BurningCourage posted:

So the Wii Tales game has a name now, the incredibly creative "Tales of 10". Apparently the setting is inspired by medieval Europe this time,

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2008/1553.html

Not that bad of a title. It just depends how they work it in, or develop the name through plot. I really like how the title Tales of Vesperia was actually explained in the game, Vesperia being the guild your party formed throughout their travels, and the game essentially being the history, or "tales", of your guild.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Eddain posted:

Not that bad of a title. It just depends how they work it in, or develop the name through plot. I really like how the title Tales of Vesperia was actually explained in the game, Vesperia being the guild your party formed throughout their travels, and the game essentially being the history, or "tales", of your guild.

I thought that was very very cool. I still can't figure out why Tales of Symphonia was called Tales of Symphonia.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Vyse_23 posted:

I thought that was very very cool. I still can't figure out why Tales of Symphonia was called Tales of Symphonia.

Allegedly the way the energy flowed between the two planets and the desire to get them to work in tandem. Or something.

It's still the title Tales of the Abyss should've had, even if 'Abyss' had to do with the game. I mean the entire world revolved around musical concepts. :colbert:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Skyelan posted:

Allegedly the way the energy flowed between the two planets and the desire to get them to work in tandem. Or something.

It's still the title Tales of the Abyss should've had, even if 'Abyss' had to do with the game. I mean the entire world revolved around musical concepts. :colbert:

There's a reference in ToS2 to something called the Symphonian Eight, which I think is an in-setting sentai team series vaguely based on the centurions.

Speaking of ToS2, is there a skit viewer anywhere?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So I got Tos2 for Christmas. Is there anything I should know before I start playing the game? Is there anything permanently missable?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Calaveron posted:

So I got Tos2 for Christmas. Is there anything I should know before I start playing the game? Is there anything permanently missable?

if you have a save from the first game on a GCN memory card, you get a random item set.

Also, there are a bunch of sidequests that show up with no indication, basically just check back in towns that you've already visited every chapter. Someone posted a pretty good guide on the last page I think, you might check it out.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

if you have a save from the first game on a GCN memory card, you get a random item set.

Also, there are a bunch of sidequests that show up with no indication, basically just check back in towns that you've already visited every chapter. Someone posted a pretty good guide on the last page I think, you might check it out.

Here's the guide: http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/

I suggest following it unless you really want to play through this game 2+ times trying to get everything you missed the first time. Playing through that first hour is a serious test of wills.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eddain posted:

Here's the guide: http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/

I suggest following it unless you really want to play through this game 2+ times trying to get everything you missed the first time. Playing through that first hour is a serious test of wills.

I started a second play through, and grinded GRADE until I had enough to buy everything. I'm gonna play through it on Maniac mode and hopefully do everything and get as much stuff as I can (side quest and title-wise). However I don't much feel like playing through it again right now so I don't know when I'm actually gonna do it, since the game isn't all that fun anymore.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Jesus Christ, I have never wanted to punch a video game character in the face so hard.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Jesus Christ, I have never wanted to punch a video game character in the face so hard.

But Calaveron, courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality! :buddy:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I really like the animation in this game. They're very fluid, even though the graphics are lovely.
Emil deserves a good punch to the face, but he's one quick, aerial bastard; way different than Yuri's slow, combo-ey self.
I'm starting to get the hang of the monster system. Right now I have a Fenrir and a Werebear I use all the time and they are hell of strong.
Also, abusing the Quest system so you get better weapons/armors easily breaks the game, seeing how the rewards are randomized each time you speak with the Katz and can just speak with him until the rewards are swords you're not even supposed to get in that chapter.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I really like the animation in this game. They're very fluid, even though the graphics are lovely.
Emil deserves a good punch to the face, but he's one quick, aerial bastard; way different than Yuri's slow, combo-ey self.
I'm starting to get the hang of the monster system. Right now I have a Fenrir and a Werebear I use all the time and they are hell of strong.
Also, abusing the Quest system so you get better weapons/armors easily breaks the game, seeing how the rewards are randomized each time you speak with the Katz and can just speak with him until the rewards are swords you're not even supposed to get in that chapter.

A Fenrir and a Werebear are great monster companions early on. Fenrir just mows through everything with his claw attack.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I used Fenrir until the very end of the game, including the final boss, he was my bud through thick and thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Skyelan posted:

Abyss was almost called Tales of Melodia though. Not sure why they though the Abyss was better...