Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Stonefish posted:

I don't think there's a Man, Woman or Cabbage alive who'd disagree with that assessment.

I must be: Other.

Cuz I love Connor from pregnant Darla to cute widdle baby to pissed off Peter Pan with wrist rockets, and yes, even sexin' up Cordelia, Connor. Loved his entire arc - it is the central arc of the entire TV show - especially they payoff in Season 5.

A truly mythic character and storyline - a son born of demons abducted and raised by his Father's greatest enemy in a Hell dimension, returned to seek vengeance on his well meaning Father.... it's like Reverse Star Wars with Vampires!

I'd love to see a Connor TV show - I know, I know, it'll never happen. But there's a lot more stories to be told about Connor, since the show has positioned him to be the true Hero, born and destined. We also don't really know what he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Toaster Beef posted:

My bad on the Spike thing, but regardless of timing he was at least as bad as Angel, and still got over his whole 'soul' thing within five minutes and a pat on the back.

And some of the examples are thin, yes, but the point still does stand - consequence is flimsy at best.

Hell, let's not forget Anya slaughtered an entire fraternity house. Sure Buffy made the effort to kill her, but ultimately Anya's price was a bit of self-reflection.

As far as Spike goes, the way I see it he was 3/4s of the way to "redemption" before he even got a soul. As Joss has said, Spike, deep inside, has always been that poem-writing dork of his mortality. As he spent more time with the Buffy crew and soaked up their influence, that guy started coming out more and more. Obviously, having no moral compass, he fucks that up a lot, and it's the ultimate fuckup of trying to rape Buffy that makes him realize that he can't take those last steps on his own. So he does something really loving epic: He goes through days of torture and trials and EARNS his soul back. Of course coping with that is going to be easier than being the evilest motherfucker ever and then having a soul force fed to you.

The difference between Angel and Spike is that Angel missed being evil so badly that he actually tried to go back during the Boxer rebellion, whereas Spike was so disgusted with his nature that he fought to win back his humanity.

Also, Ive decided that anyone who calls Buffy selfish, a bitch, or anything else for her behavior in season 7 is loving retarded. Watch through season 6 again, and explain to me how you can be upset with some bitchiness from a girl who has been in non-stop overload mode since she was BROUGHT BACK FROM THE DEAD 2 years ago. She barely has a moment to stop and breathe in that whole time, much less have any kind of mental recovery. Is it really shocking that she gets a bit too commandy at times?

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Wasn't Anya supposed to be killed at the end of Selfless? That entire episode was a great wrap-up to her character but for the rest of Season 7 she was really just standing around doing nothing the entire time.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It was worth it just for Andrew to write and then underline "Breakup Sex" on the chalkboard when talking to the potentials.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just watched "Him" and, I gotta say, the entire sequence with Buffy trying to blow up Robin Wood made season seven worthwhile by itself.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

mobn posted:

Also, Ive decided that anyone who calls Buffy selfish, a bitch, or anything else for her behavior in season 7 is loving retarded.
I, too, feel that people who do not share my beliefs about the temperament of television characters are suffering from a mental defect

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I just watched "Him" and, I gotta say, the entire sequence with Buffy trying to blow up Robin Wood made season seven worthwhile by itself.
Me too, but I'm a sucker for straight-man in foreground with crazy-poo poo in background gags.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

LividLiquid posted:

Me too, but I'm a sucker for straight-man in foreground with crazy-poo poo in background gags.

That goes double for the nature of this particular gag. That particular piece of equipment has apparently been sitting in the summers basement for 5-6 years, just waiting to be used.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What's that do?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Soothing Vapors posted:

I, too, feel that people who do not share my beliefs about the temperament of television characters are suffering from a mental defect

Every word I ever utter is 100% meant and in no way hyperbolized, exaggerated, or in any other way distorted for the purposes of effect, brevity, or clarity. Also, I in no way feel that the use of obsessively exacting grammar and vocabulary in order to indicate sarcasm or irony is a stupid joke that has been done more times than Dawn has needed rescuing.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

LividLiquid posted:

See also: Once More with Feeling; Giles, Anya and Xander walk/talk, serious exposition, janitors dancing wonderfully in the background

Jd7154
Jul 15, 2004
Buy.com has the complete buffy set for $105 for anyone else who missed out on it being $70 a few weeks ago. I just picked up the full angel collection from amazon when it was $50 and I'm really tempted to grab this as well.

http://www.buy.com/prod/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-complete-series/q/loc/322/40722957.html

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jd7154 posted:

Buy.com has the complete buffy set for $105 for anyone else who missed out on it being $70 a few weeks ago. I just picked up the full angel collection from amazon when it was $50 and I'm really tempted to grab this as well.

http://www.buy.com/prod/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-complete-series/q/loc/322/40722957.html

Those two sales were great. I had some problems with getting the "Angel" set, so they refunded some of my money, and I got the entirety of both series for $100.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Jd7154 posted:

thanks for the link, I went ahead and picked it up as thats still a pretty good price, less than $20 a season.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mobn posted:

The difference between Angel and Spike is that Angel missed being evil so badly that he actually tried to go back during the Boxer rebellion, whereas Spike was so disgusted with his nature that he fought to win back his humanity.
Spike was trying to get with Buffy, I think. I doubt any other reason - and certainly nothing noble - is as big a cause. And yes, while Angel did try to get back with Darla, he shirked from doing anything overtly evil, and was frankly more confused than anything else. But yes, you're general point stand: Angel's soul is a curse, Spike's a victory.

quote:

Also, Ive decided that anyone who calls Buffy selfish, a bitch, or anything else for her behavior in season 7 is loving retarded. Watch through season 6 again, and explain to me how you can be upset with some bitchiness from a girl who has been in non-stop overload mode since she was BROUGHT BACK FROM THE DEAD 2 years ago. She barely has a moment to stop and breathe in that whole time, much less have any kind of mental recovery. Is it really shocking that she gets a bit too commandy at times?
I agree that Buffy should be depressed, and that depression is an interesting theme to explore. But its also depressing, and that's part of the rub. And, Buffy should be listened to, to a point. She isn't all knowing/feeling. But more to the point, the delivery of this character arc was just poor - the ideas of seasons 6 and 7 were solid enough - it's just the delivery started to breakdown. Some of season 7 almost feels like a parody of BTVS, what with the deja vu speechification and hamfisted plot points.

Chex Warrior
Oct 26, 2007
Got hooked on Firefly, now watching Buffy. I just got going on Season 3 and one thing is really bugging me: Everyone seems to conveniently forget that Angel had no soul during the second part of season 2 if it gives them a chance to be dramatic. You'd think Buffy, being the sole defender of him, would think to point that out, but instead everyone just wallows in drama. I think I'll be happier once he's off wallowing in his own show.

Apart from that I'm really enjoying it. The Mayor is a really fun villian.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Chex Warrior posted:

Got hooked on Firefly, now watching Buffy. I just got going on Season 3 and one thing is really bugging me: Everyone seems to conveniently forget that Angel had no soul during the second part of season 2 if it gives them a chance to be dramatic. You'd think Buffy, being the sole defender of him, would think to point that out, but instead everyone just wallows in drama. I think I'll be happier once he's off wallowing in his own show.

Don't worry, she will not make the mistake of ignoring a SOUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLL later on.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

To be honest, seasons five through seven of Buffy weren't so terrible. They just could have gone without the Buffy dying and nerd plotlines. The whole 'heh nerds' thing was drawn out entirely too long, and then they just kept bringing Andrew's friends back even though I stupidly assumed they'd be gone since they died and all.

Also, gently caress Joss regarding show relationships. You're a dick for ruining Anya and Xander, and then give an inkling that they might be coming back together at the end, following her getting chopped in half. gently caress you.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RoryGilmore posted:

To be honest, seasons five through seven of Buffy weren't so terrible. They just could have gone without the Buffy dying

So what you're saying is that seasons six and seven weren't bad but they could have done without the thing that defined the entirety of the two seasons and their direction and character development?

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

MikeJF posted:

So what you're saying is that seasons six and seven weren't bad but they could have done without the thing that defined the entirety of the two seasons and their direction and character development?

I guess I should have re-phrased, I agree with the person who mentioned earlier that the whole thing needed to be stretched out a little more. But the other plotline could be done without completely.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump

Chex Warrior posted:

Everyone around him, Angel included, treats Angelus as being the other side of the Angel coin. It's not that Angelus is another person entirely; it's that this is Angel without all those little pesky morals and values in the way.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Same goes for every single human being on the planet, really. Take away all the positive attributes and what remains will be, logically speaking, 100% evil.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Alexandr posted:

Everyone around him, Angel included, treats Angelus as being the other side of the Angel coin. It's not that Angelus is another person entirely; it's that this is Angel without all those little pesky morals and values in the way.

I disagree.

Angel and Angelus are two different beings. Angelus is a vampire, a demon; Angel is the soul of Liam mixed with the demon Angelus.

The Slayerverse puts great stock in the soul, and pretty much defines it as the person. So, when it's just Angelus, there's no soul, no Liam, no trace of humanity; As Angel, there is a soul. It's that black and white, and justifies to me seperating Angelus from Angel in most cases. Especially the crimes of Angelus - how could Liam in any way be responsible? His soul was by definition not present when all of Angelus' crimes were committed.

Now, you could say that each vampire is shaped by the personality of the host, and thus Angelus' legendary cruelty and sadism can be traced back to Liam. But that's a tenuous connection, though true.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Psimitry posted:

For me it was two things: 1. If I'm not mistaken, it ran with Fast Lane, and I was going to be raped by a donkey if I was going to watch something from the creators of "The Fast and the Furious."

2. The commercials for it. Good lord, it looked lame. Especially since they had the shot of naked River in the cryo chamber and the voice over said "And now they finally have SOMETHING WORTH FIGHTING FOR."

My eyes rolled just about as far back into my head as they would go. I didn't even hear that Joss had any involvement until later.

Holy poo poo someone tell me these commercials exist somewhere online, I have to see this.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The ads I saw for Firefly were set to Smash Mouth's "Walking on the Sun" and made it look like a goofy comedy.

Dark Chicken
Dec 15, 2002
Firefly ads were truly horrible, and the reason why I refused to even watch the DVDs my roommate tried to get me to watch for a while.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Dark Chicken posted:

Firefly ads were truly horrible, and the reason why I refused to even watch the DVDs my roommate tried to get me to watch for a while.

No, no dude. You didn't watch Firefly because it wasn't very good. You can tell, because these six dudes with boxes on their TVs didn't watch it. So they canned it.

How's that meant to work anyway? Let's say six billion people all watched the premiere of Fringe, and at the end of the first ep, they all said "Whoa, that was completely loving terrible. I'm never putting myself through that again."
It would get the hugest ratings ever, based solely on the way it was advertised. Yet stuff still gets canned before it has a chance to find it's stable point.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Stonefish posted:

No, no dude. You didn't watch Firefly because it wasn't very good. You can tell, because these six dudes with boxes on their TVs didn't watch it. So they canned it.

They don't actually do boxes. Still handwritten journals.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Stonefish posted:

How's that meant to work anyway? Let's say six billion people all watched the premiere of Fringe, and at the end of the first ep, they all said "Whoa, that was completely loving terrible. I'm never putting myself through that again."
It would get the hugest ratings ever, based solely on the way it was advertised. Yet stuff still gets canned before it has a chance to find it's stable point.

For the people who do this for a living, the idea that premiers get stronger ratings than average is probably not new.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Lies, damned lies, and statistics. I withdraw the question. I don't want to have an understanding of that sort of poo poo in my head.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Psimitry posted:

They don't actually do boxes. Still handwritten journals.
Sometimes there's a box on your TV with a little light that goes off. You have to write what you were watching when the light blinks and that's all. Other times, yes. It's just a handwritten journal.

But I'm sure there's another way they get ratings as the journals couldn't possibly reach Neilsen in the two days after shows are aired when the ratings come in.

There kind of have to be boxes that record what channel you're on. But yeah. it's hosed that if six people watched Firefly, they could've saved it. They just had to be the right six people.

I'll be glad as poo poo when TV is all On-Demand and we can actually KNOW, FOR SURE which shows are being watched.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

I'm just looking forward to the point when nielsens are less important than DVR and Online viewing.

It's probably not as far away as you think. It's instant, precise data that isn't biased for people writing down "THIRTY TV's IN THE HOUSE - ALL WATCHING FARSCAPE!!!"

Edit: Actually, this may be even more off-topic, but I'd love to see the TV paradigm shift to "Production on Demand."

What's this mean? Well, I figure it'd work out that the network pays for pilots via advertising. After that, people would essentially "buy-in" to shows in advance. It would include a copy of the DVD's at the end of the season, and would still include advertising during the run. However, the networks could have a large supply of production cash up-front, wouldn't have to worry about scheduling against giants that they know they can't beat, and could potentially sell a lot more DVD's.

Psimitry fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 9, 2009

Zombie Dictator
Jan 14, 2005

by angerbotSD

LividLiquid posted:

Sometimes there's a box on your TV with a little light that goes off. You have to write what you were watching when the light blinks and that's all. Other times, yes. It's just a handwritten journal.

But I'm sure there's another way they get ratings as the journals couldn't possibly reach Neilsen in the two days after shows are aired when the ratings come in.

There kind of have to be boxes that record what channel you're on. But yeah. it's hosed that if six people watched Firefly, they could've saved it. They just had to be the right six people.

I'll be glad as poo poo when TV is all On-Demand and we can actually KNOW, FOR SURE which shows are being watched.

On the plus side, we might be able to save shows that got killed due to the flawed Nielsen system. On top of that, I think the truth will come out that 40 million people a night aren't watching some rear end in a top hat pick loving briefcases out of a lineup. But then again, you know that all that data will be gathered just to bombard you with targeted advertising. Given the current shotgun approach to advertising now, that may be considered a positive as well.

But this is a Joss thread, not a "NIELSEN IS loving US AGAIN" thread, so let's get this train on the tracks.

So who here actually owns the Dr. Horrible DVD? I'm very tempted to order it, but I've read that in some cases the DVD is some ghetto purple-bottomed DVD-R, and in some cases it is a silver-bottomed silk-screened artwork pretty professional job.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Psimitry posted:

I'm just looking forward to the point when nielsens are less important than DVR and Online viewing.

It's probably not as far away as you think. It's instant, precise data that isn't biased for people writing down "THIRTY TV's IN THE HOUSE - ALL WATCHING FARSCAPE!!!"

Edit: Actually, this may be even more off-topic, but I'd love to see the TV paradigm shift to "Production on Demand."

What's this mean? Well, I figure it'd work out that the network pays for pilots via advertising. After that, people would essentially "buy-in" to shows in advance. It would include a copy of the DVD's at the end of the season, and would still include advertising during the run. However, the networks could have a large supply of production cash up-front, wouldn't have to worry about scheduling against giants that they know they can't beat, and could potentially sell a lot more DVD's.

Are you kidding? Nobody's going to pay fifty bucks up front to watch a show they've only seen the pilot of. TV only works like it does because your payment is largely passive.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

mobn posted:

Are you kidding? Nobody's going to pay fifty bucks up front to watch a show they've only seen the pilot of. TV only works like it does because your payment is largely passive.

I would have gladly paid.. maybe not FIFTY, but certainly 30-40 upon watching the pilot of "Pushing Daisies." Now, admittedly that is an exception, but it's not impossible that there would have been others.

Others that spring to mind that I probably would have paid in advance after seeing just the pilot: Terminator, The Big Bang Theory, South Park, The West Wing, House, Penn & Teller - Bullshit, and Boston Legal (though on that one I would have stopped paying as time went on).

Oddly enough, though I wouldn't have paid up-front for these: How I Met Your Mother, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Scrubs, and Heroes.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Zombie Dictator posted:

So who here actually owns the Dr. Horrible DVD? I'm very tempted to order it, but I've read that in some cases the DVD is some ghetto purple-bottomed DVD-R, and in some cases it is a silver-bottomed silk-screened artwork pretty professional job.

Just got mine today. DVD case is your standard plastic variety used by movies. The top of the DVD appears to be professionally printed with some artwork. The bottom of the DVD has a purple-ish tint.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Psimitry posted:

A less complicated possibility: I think glorious Nippon Japan has some serials that are released directly to DVD; they're called OVAs. I have an absurdly limited understanding of how it works (in fact, it may be something that's only done with anime), but based on what little I know, I always felt that Tim Minear could do interesting things with that strategy.

But yeah, a network sponsors a direct to DVD serial, lower production values but free from FCC regulation and judged solely on DVD sales and rentals, with single disc volumes - not entire seasons - coming one at a time. Could be interesting.

Sorry for furthering the derailment.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 10, 2009

Mike Toole
Apr 9, 2001

WE ARE GOING BACK!!

DivisionPost posted:

A less complicated possibility: I think glorious Nippon Japan has some serials that are released directly to DVD; they're called OVAs. I have an absurdly limited understanding of how it works (in fact, it may be something that's only done with anime), but based on what little I know, I always felt that Tim Minear could do interesting things with that strategy.

OVA is just fancy nerd-speak for direct-to-video (DTV) stuff. We do plenty of that here in North America, too. Just less often with crummy cartoons.

Honestly, that's the approach I wish was taken with Firefly-- instead of wasting the capital on a pretty much guaranteed box-office failure, spend 1/4 of the cash on a high-quality, 100-minute DVD/cable release. Let the buzz carry the franchise as long as possible. The Firefly hype wasn't big enough to get people to theatres, but I believe it would've scaled down nicely.

I'm here because I just watched Dr. Horrible, and man, the name sure is truth in advertising. It has a blog, it has songs, and it's horrible. Aside from a couple of quips, it came off like Neil Patrick Harris losing a bet and having to star in some dude's youtube project. It would've been better without the sub Cop Rock-level songs.

Mostly I just wish this dude would figure out how to make something as good as Firefly. I couldn't get behind Buffy and I don't see any promise in Dollhouse, but I liked Firefly just fine.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Mike Toole posted:

I'm here because I just watched Dr. Horrible, and man, the name sure is truth in advertising. It has a blog, it has songs, and it's horrible.

Uh, gently caress you. Dr. Horrible owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Well, about half of it anyway. I can't get enough of the first and last songs from part 2, but I could do without a fair chunk of the rest.

• Locked thread