Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

poisoned pie posted:

my friends and I often joke about getting a rear cut from another aw11 and attaching it to the back of my aw11 so you end up with a twin engined, six wheeled MR2. lol.

In all seriousness, 3SGTE? Can you even the blacktops from Altezzas (with the Dual VVTI) into an MR2? Or would you need to go back to the redtop from some other wimpier car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
I've said too much!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

You should take some advice from Top Gear (5:25) and leave the doors off.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

NoSpoon posted:

In all seriousness, 3SGTE? Can you even the blacktops from Altezzas (with the Dual VVTI) into an MR2? Or would you need to go back to the redtop from some other wimpier car?

The BEAMS motor fits in just fine. It's basically swapping over a non-turbo 3S - for which there is a kit available to mount the 3S motor in the AW11 chassis.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yummy update goodness. That wiring makes me weap. Not that I know proper wiring from bad wiring, but it just looks like a rats nest.

Also, that's the first time I've seen a 1st gen gauge cluster, looks neat :)

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Sockington posted:

"Get someone to assist with removing the door." Okie dokie.

You realize now that the chair is your official assistant, you have to name it, right? "Al" or something.

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
call the chair "forklift".

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Sockington posted:

The BEAMS motor fits in just fine. It's basically swapping over a non-turbo 3S - for which there is a kit available to mount the 3S motor in the AW11 chassis.
But there's different BEAMS 3SGE's. The "blacktop" from the Altezza has Dual VVT-i, whereas the "redtop" from the Caldina, MR2 and Celica only has single VVT-i. As I understand it the VVT-i on the exhaust side makes very little difference anyway, however the engine is a little further refined, revs a bit harder, and makes a bit more power stock.

There's also some other version that comes in RAV4's, but let's not bother going there ;).

The reason I asked if it even fits, as that I think the blacktop only came in the Altezza in which it sits north-south. I'm pretty sure all the ones with the redtop sit east-west. I don't know if the newer 3SGE will just bolt onto the appropriate gearbox from the old one, or if the mounts are the same.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

poisoned pie posted:

call the chair "forklift".

I miss the forklift. A highlight of Sockington threads was him stripping a junked car and then tossing its corpse aside with the forklift.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

poisoned pie posted:

I've said too much!

I haven't said enough

I was thinking of the 3SGTE swap as like the 5-year plan if something goes poo poo with the 4AGZE (hosed E51 tranny, rod through block, etc) setup. It's got the starting power level I would love - and just turn up the boost when you want to squeal like a schoolgirl.

I haven't had too much time to play with the MR2 due to work. I still have weekends off - so expect some juicy content then.

Once the MR2 is down to a shell, I'll decide what the gently caress I'm going to do. For sure I'm definitely going to have to order some POR-15 to seal everything up when I'm finished.

I'm on the fence on how crazy this is going to get when it comes to repair/modification. I'll be doing lots of labour (to say the least!) on the shell, so I'll have lots of time to collect expensive/awesome/:coal: goodies. Most of the lovely body work is covered by either rims/below car or under the sideskirts. The wheel arches are getting cut out for those bigass fibreglass flares.

Here's a comedy 323 picture with the flares for content. :v:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 14, 2009

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Tables Sock, before you get probated, think of the tables. All in all the 323 looks drat good like that. Nice and aggressive.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
What do you mean by 'scribed' marks into the turbo? You mean, you scratched lines into something with a rev speed in the 50KRPM range? You idiot.

Now you get to send it out for sure. You never ever ever ever cut marks into a turbocharger, they are balanced in the MILLI gram inches.

read this.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 14, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Baby Hitler posted:

MILLI gram inches.

Goddamnit you guys. If you're going to use loving Imperial, then just stick with it, and leave metric to us. :doom:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Baby Hitler posted:

What do you mean by 'scribed' marks into the turbo? You mean, you scratched lines into something with a rev speed in the 50KRPM range? You idiot.

Now you get to send it out for sure. You never ever ever ever cut marks into a turbocharger, they are balanced in the MILLI gram inches.

read this.

Yeah, that would totally suck if I was going to use it. It's too much of a loving hassle dealing with the stupid Volvo flanges/lines. I could make up a manifold to use it, but as you said earlier, the amount of effort far exceeds the gains of using it. Any modern turbocharger beats the crap out of the Mitsu.

Also, I make more money than I used to, so buying a brand new turbocharger isn't out of the question anymore. It's not like I'm driving some lovely 80's 323 and can't afford a new turbo... :ese:

Here's also the info I was working with;

quote:

If you are not sending your turbo for a full rebuild, MAKE SURE to scribe a line across the compressor wheel, nut, and the end of the shaft at this time. If you do not bolt it back together with ALL of the lines lined up, your turbo may end up being out of balance, and it can quickly destroy itself.

Texas Rebuild suggests to do the following - place the turbine blade "nut" in a vice, and either use a T-handle socket to remove the compressor blade nut, or when using the ratchet, make sure to hold the socket so that the ratchet is only twisting the nut, not placing any side load on the center shaft. Evidently it is easy to bend the center shaft if you place too much of a side load on it when removing the nut. When I removed the one in the picture, I was very careful to grab the ratchet at the rotating end and put all the twisting force directly through the socket, without putting any side load on the shaft.

I don't really give two shits, since again, new parts aren't out of my budget anymore. It seemed kind of sketchy when I was sitting there rebuilding it, so I decided to scrap the idea.

I won't be dealing with lovely tools (bought new ones) and lovely parts (save up and buy nicer new stuff rather than cheaper crap) anymore, so things will go much more smoothly in the long run.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 14, 2009

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I think all of that money is going to your head, Sock. But I agree, get a new turbo. That'd probably be for the best in the long run.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I think all of that money is going to your head, Sock. But I agree, get a new turbo. That'd probably be for the best in the long run.

No, no, no.

I used to get paid almost nothing - just a basic 'after college' job at a parts store. It was next to slave labour. :(

We're on normal hours now (40hr weeks), so my paycheques are MUCH more reasonable than the crazy overtime poo poo. I'm just a regular working joe now.

Anywho, I was just trying to say that saving up for a new turbocharger will make more sense since I don't need to nickle and dime my way anymore. I'd rather save up some money and buy something that will provide less headaches and more fun.

As for the lovely :words: part - I already bought nice stuff, so I don't have to use my crappy half-missing socket sets and poo poo. The Mrs. said I've already spent too much on tools for a good long while. :arghfist:

(PS DJ - I was just poking fun of your three-two-shitbox. I will always <3 you)

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Sockington posted:

Also, I make more money than I used to, so buying a brand new turbocharger isn't out of the question anymore. It's not like I'm driving some lovely 80's 323 and can't afford a new turbo... :ese:

Hey, I got a real job now. I still can't afford the turbo I want :(

GT2560R

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I was just messing with you, Sock. I'm the same as you though. I believe in saving up and getting the right stuff, rather than trying to save a buck and getting substandard poo poo.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Baby Hitler posted:

Hey, I got a real job now. I still can't afford the turbo I want :(

GT2560R

:ssh: that's the hot ticket for my Toyota 1.6 (4AGZE) as well.

We may be sporting similar snails on the hot sides of our motors. :unsmith:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Since you are in Canada, you could send the turbo to Blaast, and have him rebuild it. Very reasonable costs, and good service. He's on HMT, and a nice guy.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Took out all the crazy computers from the trunk.

Factory flares.

Crazy flares.

When you swap the G-series transmission into the 323, you get (almost) equal length axles thanks to that little jackshaft.

Rear window out.

The rear stripped more.

Looking into the trunk is a bad thing.

Get the electric impact.

Out comes some suspension. Notice that wacky bend - that's no good.

Driver's rear cleared out.

MR2's E51 manual transmission mounted on the rolly cart.

Passenger side out.

Empty looking back here.

Then spent an hour cleaning up the crazy storage area.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
Looking good! The jigsaw puzzle at the other end will be great fun.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
These heater lines used to hook into those rubber hoses.

Removed.

A shot down the tunnel.

A fun way to remove the hard-coolant lines from the car to try and prevent most of the mess.

Removed.

Another look.

Removed the brake master and distribution block.

Out comes the dirty factory oil cooler.

Then I went to town and pulled the fuel tank inlet line, evap canister, misc hard vacuum lines, engine bay cooling fan, and cruise control.

Cleaner.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
That is more work than I have done in all the Sundays of my life combined. Good show, man.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Changed the oil in the snow. :colbert:

Also, scored some wild anti-seize from work. :ssh:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
drat, that locktite is loving :black101: You just need to pair that up with psylocibe's crazy warning label, and you're off to the races.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Hah, I have those same ramps! And that same Focus! (though mine is blue)

Dark Voice
Feb 4, 2005
Behold the might of the rabid hamster army

Shampoo posted:

Hah, I have those same ramps! And that same Focus! (though mine is blue)

Yeah, I got the same focus too. Black.

Keep it up Sock, you're making me want to actually do the suspension upgrade on my Focus now!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I see mother nature went right through the primer on the 323 :(

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?

8ender posted:

He's just prepping it to be a prime-cut sockington rust removal project in the future :laugh:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

8ender posted:

Primer? She's bare metal on that side!

DFWlly
Aug 6, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I have a question. How the hell are you keeping track of all those nuts, bolts and washers you're removing? That's a problem that has plagued me since forever :(

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

DFWlly posted:

I have a question. How the hell are you keeping track of all those nuts, bolts and washers you're removing? That's a problem that has plagued me since forever :(

He mentioned earleir in the thread:

Sockington posted:

I put everything in a bag. I try and re-assemble fasteners before putting them down. The rest is luck and loctite.

I'm guessing he's still doing that. I do the same thing - little baggies and a sharpie are cheap! :)

However, unlike me he uses both luck AND loctite.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Baggies are super great and I wish I had realized that the first time I took apart a car. Just be sure the label doesn't get some kind of grease / solvent that smudges it. However, I used to be able to tell where pretty much every part on my Protege came from.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Now would be a perfect time to get rid of that drat battery tray.

Yup.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
http://www.rollaclub.com/board/?showtopic=25047

I hope one of you is planning on doing that to your 4AGE's. Bit different!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

NoSpoon posted:

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/?showtopic=25047

I hope one of you is planning on doing that to your 4AGE's. Bit different!

Twincharged isn't worth the hassle. A nice turbo will outperform the 20yr+ old Toyota supercharger.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Sockington posted:

Twincharged isn't worth the hassle. A nice turbo will outperform the 20yr+ old Toyota supercharger.
Doesn't surprise me in the least - there's just something cool about it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Checking out how high up the rust goes.

Further.

Further.

Some way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sock, the fact that you can view rust like that and not completely lose your poo poo is a good sign. How much would it cost to ship an AZ car up to you?

• Locked thread