Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Is there any way in ableton to sync a parameter to volume? So you can for example have a delay which only comes in when a signal is significantly loud.

e: i feel like ive done nothing this week except post inane questions anout ableton in ml. Something interesting posted soon I promise!

e: in fact two seconds of thought and its obvious, use the gate, send whatevers loud enough to come through the gate to a new track.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I don't know if this is the right place to ask for help but I seem to be having some bad latency issues with ableton. Music stutters pretty bad.

windows 7
intel p4 2.4Ghz hyperthreading
1 gig ram
sb live! 24 bit (internal, not the external one)

if you need more specs just ask

Anyway, I've tried turning off hyperthreading in bios but that didn't help. Also tried asio4all and that didn't help. I tried disabling my network card, didn't help. Lastly I tried to rout the sound through my line 6 guitar port, but still the same issue.

I ran dpclat and while nothing is loading it shows all green, but as soon as ableton loads up I get all red.

Should I try it in xp? Should I try it with another sound card? I really want to use ableton, but this is rendering it useless.

edit: also ableton's cpu monitor shows the usage at under 10%. I'm just trying to play an mp3 to test, or a midi clip I have made.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Sounds like you need to increase the buffer size. In the audio section of the preferences menu there's a test you can run that will tell you what buffer size you can use.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I don't see any tests unless you are talking about the test tone. That plays back fine, even with cpu usage at like 80

The asio test "check buffer and sync" passes fine, but when I click ok twice and run the next test I get a lot of sync loss, like 15.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 22, 2009

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
In that case I don't know. My first guess would be incompatibility with Windows 7 somewhere down the line.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Do you get those stutters when not using ASIO? If I had to guess the culprit, its ASIO4all or whatever you're doing to get your soundblaster card working as ASIO.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yes. My card came with asio drivers, I used those, and also asio4all, aswell as the normal drivers.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Harminoff, is your Windows 7 install 32 or 64 bit? Ableton Live isn't officially supported under Vista 64, and while a lot of people have had no problems running it in a 64 bit OS, it's been dodgy for other folks.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
If I wanted to sample extensively from a classical piano track played rubato (so the tempo wavers around) in Ableton I could just warp it.

Is there something similar in Logic for getting a long piece of music to play in time? Or would I be screwed in that case?

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

I cant tonight, babe. Im going online.

Elder posted:

Sounds like you need to increase the buffer size. In the audio section of the preferences menu there's a test you can run that will tell you what buffer size you can use.

What you do is open up the preferances menu and click on the test tone button so the tone is playing. Make sure you have your speakers turned up. Turn up the CPU usage simulator to around 80%, then slowly lower the buffer size until you start to hear crackles. Add around 50-100 to the point at which you start hearing crackles and you should be golden!

My tone starts crackling at around 80 on my MBP, so I crank that soulja buffer up to around 150-200 just to make sure I never get any stutter while I'm mixing.

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle

Three Red Lights posted:

e: i feel like ive done nothing this week except post inane questions anout ableton in ml. Something interesting posted soon I promise!
Do you have many tunes posted on here? I actually bookmarked "abomination cleaner" from that other thread, it was good poo poo.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

fret logic posted:

Do you have many tunes posted on here? I actually bookmarked "abomination cleaner" from that other thread, it was good poo poo.

No I'm in the process of moving and overhauling my PC setup at the moment, so I've just been hanging around here a lot trying to pick up some tips. Once I've got everything set up nicely I'll post somemore stuff.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Altoidss posted:

If I wanted to sample extensively from a classical piano track played rubato (so the tempo wavers around) in Ableton I could just warp it.

Is there something similar in Logic for getting a long piece of music to play in time? Or would I be screwed in that case?

The audio editor in logic which comes up from double clicking the file has a warping function.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I started this track last night. I was trying to do something tech-trancey but with electro elements....it's not finished yet and pretty rough around the edges, but i'm pretty pleased about how it's turned out so far. I've not gotten around to doing the first 64 bars yet, so the sample starts from the beginning of the first breakdown. The mixdown is all over the place....so if you can overlook that, i'm more interested in opinions of the arrangement etc.

half finished track

I did a half arsed mastering job using Izotope Ozone. However, I'm slightly out of my depth and have managed to gently caress up the dynamics on all the quiet parts (this can be heard during the main breakdown). If anyone knows anything about mastering and can tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd be interested to learn...

Edit: the mp3 conversion to 128kbs seems to have massacred it a bit. The kick drum sounds way shitter in that clip than it does in the original bounce. :-/

an actual cat irl fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 24, 2009

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

moron posted:

I did a half arsed mastering job using Izotope Ozone. However, I'm slightly out of my depth
The solution is to throw Izotope away as it is a confusing as gently caress piece of software with a horribly stupid Hollywood FBI Computer Virus interface and to pick out the effects in the chain separately. Bonus: you can change the order of those.

So, get a separate multiband compressor, equalizer, maximizer, and there's a good chance you don't even need the Mastering Reverb in there. Try http://www.geocities.jp/webmaster_of_sss/vst/

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Yoozer posted:

The solution is to throw Izotope away as it is a confusing as gently caress piece of software with a horribly stupid Hollywood FBI Computer Virus interface and to pick out the effects in the chain separately. Bonus: you can change the order of those.

So, get a separate multiband compressor, equalizer, maximizer, and there's a good chance you don't even need the Mastering Reverb in there. Try http://www.geocities.jp/webmaster_of_sss/vst/

To be fair, you can change the order in Ozone.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I tried the "old" demo version (not the one announced around NAMM) and this wasn't obvious from the interface.

With a few GUI tweaks it'd be vastly improved, but still no guarantee for folks just downloading it and skipping through the presets until they find something that sounds fat.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Yoozer posted:

With a few GUI tweaks it'd be vastly improved, but still no guarantee for folks just downloading it and skipping through the presets until they find something that sounds fat.

Dont tell everyone our secrets!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I like Ozone. It's really no too bad, if you can get over the Fruityloops-inspired interface.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 8, 2014

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Finally upgraded to Ableton 7 after being an Ableton 5+protools slut for god knows how many years.

Oh man, slice to midi is amazing. Slice + Amen break = :toot: Ima loving Junglist baby. :toot:

Seriously, wow. How loving fun is this thing! Ableton 8 with the Max/MSP patches will be amazing.

Any good suggestions for a nice robust softsynth analog synth thats on the mac and isnt crystal?

duck monster fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 25, 2009

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental
I'm getting new monitors (Dynaudio BM5A :holy:)and they only have balanced XLR inputs... if I get balanced TRS to XLR cables and connect them to my balanced TRS outputs will the XLR connection be balanced? Or should I pick up an interface or a little mixer with balanced XLR outputs as well? I guess what I'm saying is I know nothing about cables and don't want to gently caress up my new speakers. :pwn:

Meatsplosion fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 25, 2009

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.
I use T-RackS 3 for DJ tools, rather than Ozone.
T-RackS is great because you can smash that track through the roof with that limiter and clipper.
Makes my tracks even louder and dynamically flatter than anyone else's. Great for when DJing.

Oh yeah, please don't comment with "but what about dynamics, duuude?"
Obviously, if you want dynamics, just turn down the limiter. If you want a proper master, send the track to an ME, but if you're just using it as a DJ tool, having it as loud as possible can help a lot. Especially since some event-owners will turn down the master volume for anyone who's not a headliner or part of their label. Yes, this does happen unfortunately.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I have a gear question:
I'm looking around for a used synthesizer and I'm stuck between the Korg DW-8000 and the Roland SH-201. I love the 201's modern compatibility for things like VSTs and USB, but I could save myself about 100 bucks if I buy the DW-8000.

For reference
SH-201
DW-8000

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Pegnose Pete posted:

I have a gear question:
I'm looking around for a used synthesizer and I'm stuck between the Korg DW-8000 and the Roland SH-201. I love the 201's modern compatibility for things like VSTs and USB, but I could save myself about 100 bucks if I buy the DW-8000.

For reference
SH-201
DW-8000

I can't say anything about the DW-8000, but I've heard the SH-201 is sort of like the JP-8080, except it feels a bit cheaper. What are you going to use the synths for?
JP-8080 is pretty popular in EDM.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

The Fog posted:

I can't say anything about the DW-8000, but I've heard the SH-201 is sort of like the JP-8080, except it feels a bit cheaper. What are you going to use the synths for?
JP-8080 is pretty popular in EDM.

I'm just starting out with the instrument, really. I would use it on my own via the computer and maybe jamming with friends.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

duck monster posted:

Finally upgraded to Ableton 7 after being an Ableton 5+protools slut for god knows how many years.

Oh man, slice to midi is amazing. Slice + Amen break = :toot: Ima loving Junglist baby. :toot:

Seriously, wow. How loving fun is this thing! Ableton 8 with the Max/MSP patches will be amazing.

Any good suggestions for a nice robust softsynth analog synth thats on the mac and isnt crystal?

You got Operator, right? Learn to use it. No, really learn to use it, it's got a lot of power behind it, especially more with Live 8. It's not the holy grail of synths, but it's got a lot more power and flexibility than is apparent at first. I think there's some tutorials on it included in Live.

You can activate the demos for Analog, too, if you wanted a more traditional instrument.

As far as plugins go, any major manufacturer makes OSX plugins. NI Massive isn't bad.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 26, 2009

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I'm not sure how Operator or Massive are remotely "a nice robust analog softsynth", even if they are nice synths in their own right.

As far as a more traditional analog/subtractive type synth, I've already mentioned I'm a big fan of Albino III, and I hear a lot of people saying good things about Sylenth too.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

h_double posted:

I'm not sure how Operator or Massive are remotely "a nice robust analog softsynth", even if they are nice synths in their own right.
By not using wavetables Massive does get into analogish territory, it's just that it generally does not want to stay there :v:

quote:

As far as a more traditional analog/subtractive type synth, I've already mentioned I'm a big fan of Albino III, and I hear a lot of people saying good things about Sylenth too.

If you have to pick between these, Albino will probably give you a bit more depth and challenge - while Sylenth1 is really nice, it's got a structure that is a bit too simple (not even PWM).

Pegnose Pete posted:

I have a gear question:

For reference
SH-201
DW-8000

The DW is as a vintage synth not that remarkable (digital waveforms can be found in the Ensoniq ESQ, and the MicroKorg has all of DWGS). The SH-201's sound is compared to most VSTs not that remarkable either.

However, the SH gives you a bunch of knobs and sliders you can use while the DW has a passable keyboard - and no way to control anything.

Is this going to be your first or do you have something else lying around, too?

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 26, 2009

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
This is going to be my first and only synth, but I do have some piano skill and I know a bit of theory so I'm looking forward to learning synthesis. I want something with the traditional analog waveforms.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Then you'll probably get more use out of the SH.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I have the SH-201, and it's laid out very well for learning how different things will affect the sound. Everything is pretty straightforward, and the layout is basically a block diagram with knobs and sliders.

Just a quick thing to know before you get one: the software that comes with it is not a standalone VST. Oh sure, you can load the Editor in your DAW of choice as a VST but everything you do in it goes straight back to the 201. What this means is that you can set up a MIDI track with the Editor VST but all of the MIDI commands go to the 201 for processing. The audio then comes back through the USB cable and goes to whatever audio track you have armed to record from the synth. Works fine if you'll always have it plugged into your computer, but if you want to use the SH-201 in a song you need to have it connected every time you work on that project. Fine if you're doing everything at home, not so great if you're working on a laptop while traveling around.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm a fan of the SH-201 as well.

h_double posted:

I point out that Operator comes with Live now, and most people overlook it or brush it off after scrolling through presets for a few minutes.

Most people asking for "analogue" synths aren't really looking for true analogue, they're mainly just looking for a thick sound to them, and have the idea that they need analogue to get it.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 26, 2009

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

I love Operator, it's one of my two or three go-to softsynths these days. I use it mainly for FM-type sounds (since it is after all primarily an FM synth) but it's not too difficult to coax some more analog-style sounds out of it as well.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
I'm completely in love with sampling. :swoon:

I have to write a lullaby for my songwriting class, and to make it extra fun I decided to make every sound from one sampled C from an acoustic guitar (which you'll hear at the beginning of the track, transposed down to a G). This is a total blast, and I keep learning new poo poo because of how limited I am. Here's a clip:

We_ll Do It Live Take 5.mp3 - 0.84MB

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 26, 2009

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
got some new headphones
help me reference this
http://www.sendspace.com/file/xnulyb

Chairman Kaga
Jun 3, 2006
I FAG EVERYTHING UP BECAUSE I AM A WHINEY CUNT!
anyone know of a good midi usb interface?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
How many ports do you need, what are you willing to spend, (optional) which sequencer do you use? I'm pretty happy with my MOTU MIDI Express 128, but it could be complete overkill for you.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Chairman Kaga posted:

anyone know of a good midi usb interface?

Pick whichever one of these has the amount of I/O you need and you'll be fine.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c679--Portable_MIDI_Interfaces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I felt like using the arpeggiator in logic

http://www.zshare.net/audio/54754012bedc4334/

Thoughts?

• Locked thread