Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxygen Frog
May 11, 2005

A specter is haunting Europa

LividLiquid posted:

Macbook Air Gamer kind of already said it, but the first hint for Dawn's arrival was in the Season 3 finale when Faith, in Buffy's head, says "Little Miss Muffet counting down to seven-three-oh." Seven-hundred and thirty days is two years. Dawn shows up two years later and crazy people call her "Miss Muffet" and "Curds and weigh".

That's not quite it. Faith says that Buffy has "miles to go: Little Miss Muffet, counting down from seven-three-oh": Little Miss Muffet is Dawn, who shows up about 15 months later. Seven-three-oh is the number of days Buffy has left to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I wasn't aware of any of that foreshadowing until just now reading this and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed actually. Though I hated Dawn as a character, I was just blown away by her arrival and reveal in Season 5 (I mean, has any TV show every done anything like that, ever?) and to know that it was actually planned in advance, a couple seasons earlier, makes it even more amazing.

I only watched Buffy (and later, Angel) last year because I had run out of Sci-Fi DVD's to watch and the first season and a half of Buffy I didn't get what was supposed to be so great about it, but now, after seeing Buffy and Angel in their entirety, I totally get it and part of what made me totally get it was the Dawn reveal in season 5.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's really hard to get people into Buffy because you need to see the first season to get it, but aside from the finale, the first season is really bleh.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

LividLiquid posted:

It's really hard to get people into Buffy because you need to see the first season to get it, but aside from the finale, the first season is really bleh.

I love the first season best. It has a quietness and smallness to it that gets lost as the bads get bigger and the scale gets epicer.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Psimitry posted:

Finally, I do think that one of my major complaints about season six and all of it's money troubles was that it seemed like Willow and Tara were living in the Summers' house rent free. I know they never mentioned it, but I was like "Why the hell are all these people living here and not paying a dime in rent??"

They did take care of Dawn while Buffy was in Heaven, kept her away from foster care. You also don't know if they used their financial aid to help pay bills or buy food. I have no problem accepting Buffy needs a job to help pay for everything, I don't think anyone really cares that Tara paid the water and Willow picked up the cable this month.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I knew there were specific moments but I just didn't feel like doing the legwork. Thanks guys.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

redshirt posted:

Willow should be considered differently. She was moments from destroying the world, which is hard to walk back from. She has nothing and no one to blame but herself.
While that's mostly true, Giles is arguably also partly to blame because Willow wasn't going to destroy the world (or anything other than the Trio and whoever got in the way of that) until his apparent backup plan to make her feel the pain of everyone in the world simultaneously backfired (or worked *too* well).

In a way, the way she acted toward Buffy and Dawn was arguably worse/harder for them to forgive than actually trying to destroy the whole world, both because of the circumstances and because it was more personal.

Superhaus
Jun 9, 2003

I'm probably wasting time right now.

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

I wasn't aware of any of that foreshadowing until just now reading this and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed actually. Though I hated Dawn as a character, I was just blown away by her arrival and reveal in Season 5 (I mean, has any TV show every done anything like that, ever?) and to know that it was actually planned in advance, a couple seasons earlier, makes it even more amazing.

I only watched Buffy (and later, Angel) last year because I had run out of Sci-Fi DVD's to watch and the first season and a half of Buffy I didn't get what was supposed to be so great about it, but now, after seeing Buffy and Angel in their entirety, I totally get it and part of what made me totally get it was the Dawn reveal in season 5.

I love the foreshadowing in Buffy. My favorite one is when Tara purposely (and secretly) messes up a demon locater spell that Willow wanted to do. We don't find out until the next season that Tara thinks that she is a demon and is trying to hide it. They never explicity mention the connection between the two, as far as I know, but when you go back it, the light comes on during that scene.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Yeah, TGIQ wouldn't have been grating if it happened sometime in the first half of the season. It's got some pretty drat funny bits to it.

And if Andrew had just loving died in Buffy, but that's neither here nor there.

I don't understand how people don't like Andrew. He's the funniest character in season 7.

Friendly Geek
Aug 11, 2005
Your friendly neighborhood geek. Friendly and/or geeky since 1982.

Superhaus posted:

I love the foreshadowing in Buffy. My favorite one is when Tara purposely (and secretly) messes up a demon locater spell that Willow wanted to do. We don't find out until the next season that Tara thinks that she is a demon and is trying to hide it. They never explicity mention the connection between the two, as far as I know, but when you go back it, the light comes on during that scene.

I've always liked that foreshadowing too. Watching it the first time, you wonder what it was all about, but once you've seen Family, it all becomes clear. Some of the writing just makes you shake your head in wonder at their forethought on things.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

I don't understand how people don't like Andrew. He's the funniest character in season 7.

So... wheelchair fight?

That was one of the most genuine and heartfelt scenes in the whole show.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

mobn posted:

So... wheelchair fight?

That was one of the most genuine and heartfelt scenes in the whole show.

It and Wood's 'No running in the Hall' speech are the only honestly awesome parts of the finale of "Buffy." Spike's moment at the end is nice and all, but those top it in their simplicity.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

So if anyone's seen the newest Angel After the Fall issue they just pulled a big reset button and Wesley's gone for good :smith:

i'm just going to pretend the story ended with the last episode of the series, and leave it at that. the comic just tried to be too many things and completely lost me.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Adam Bowen posted:

i'm just going to pretend the story ended with the last episode of the series, and leave it at that. the comic just tried to be too many things and completely lost me.

That's how I've felt with both series, honestly. While they didn't end exactly how I wanted them, both had the best endings possible for how they'd gone, and anything more is beside the point.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

mobn posted:

I love the first season best. It has a quietness and smallness to it that gets lost as the bads get bigger and the scale gets epicer.

I agree, and it still has some of my favorite episodes:
Witch
Out of Sight, Out of Mind
Nightmares

(I was going to add Halloween but upon further investigation, i found I've been remembering that episode in the wrong place).

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Tupping Liberty posted:

I agree, and it still has some of my favorite episodes:
Witch
Out of Sight, Out of Mind
Nightmares

(I was going to add Halloween but upon further investigation, i found I've been remembering that episode in the wrong place).

Yes, but it also has
Teacher's Pet
I Robot...You Jane
The Pack

which either had crappy premises or just haven't held up well. These are probably the only episodes I would suggest skipping to new viewers so they don't get turned off to the show altogether.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
"I Robot" was probably the worst episode of anything ever, except maybe that ep of B5 where Ivanova fucks some ambassador "human style". (Which is massively :nms: )

Also, Buffy season 1 has "The Puppet Show", which was also great.

*cordelia rants on about inane poo poo for ages*
Giles: Oh, sorry Cordy... your hair.. it, erm...
Cordy: There's something wrong with my hair? :frogsiren: *runs away*
Giles: Xander was right, it worked like a charm :clint:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Stonefish posted:

"I Robot" was probably the worst episode of anything ever,except maybe that ep of B5 where Ivanova fucks some ambassador "human style". (Which is massively :nms: )
I may only speak for myself, but I have no idea what B5 is and you're likely giving spoilers about a series in an entirely unrelated thread, which I think might be probatable if it's still airing. Not sure if it is.

I wouldn't post in a Lost thread, "This is totally like BTVS when Spike finally nails the slayer."

I don't consider myself a backseat mod or anything. I just don't like having shows I've never seen spoiled for me.

Sorry.

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

I completely agree with you, but I started watching in Season 6.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 28, 2009

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

I may only speak for myself, but I have no idea what B5 is and you're likely giving spoilers about a series in an entirely unrelated thread, which I think might be probatable if it's still airing. Not sure if it is.

I wouldn't post in a Lost thread, "This is totally like BTVS when Spike finally nails the slayer."

I don't consider myself a backseat mod or anything. I just don't like having shows I've never seen spoiled for me.

Sorry.

I'm completely agree with you, but I started watching in Season 6.

B5 is Babylon 5 and it ended in 1998.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Brennen posted:

B5 is Babylon 5 and it ended in 1998.

And it's not as if the "spoiler" is either important to the overall plotline, or in any way important to the plotline at all.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Indeed, you should thank me. If you ever DO watch B5, and you see an episode leaning in that direction, turn it the gently caress off. You'll be better for it.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Stonefish posted:

Indeed, you should thank me. If you ever DO watch B5, and you see an episode leaning in that direction, turn it the gently caress off. You'll be better for it.

I thought Ivanova's scene in that episode is better than every appearance and utterance ever spoken by Andrew combined.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Patrovsky posted:

And it's not as if the "spoiler" is either important to the overall plotline, or in any way important to the plotline at all.
Right, but did I know that?

It's still retarded for me to even bring it up, but I stand by the fact that spoilers for unrelated shows are-

You know what? Nevermind. Sorry.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

scarymonkey posted:

I thought Ivanova's scene in that episode is better than every appearance and utterance ever spoken by Andrew combined.

That's taking it too far.
I've said it a dozen times before, but Tom Lenk's role in "Transformers" was that character, done right.

Three lines, a quick laugh, and GONE. Didn't overstay his welcome.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
Urm this is going to sound an incredibly geeky question but I was watching 'The Dark' and I spotted someone who looked familiar in the background.

Time mark around 40 mins.

Is that Kali Rocha aka Halfrek or am I just being silly?

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
I think you're several miles off course there.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

UnquietDream posted:

Urm this is going to sound an incredibly geeky question but I was watching 'The Dark' and I spotted someone who looked familiar in the background.

Time mark around 40 mins.

Is that Kali Rocha aka Halfrek or am I just being silly?

No. Halfrek's first apperance is as William's love interest before he got vamped and she became a vengeance demon.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

He was funny. I thought he was funnier in Season 6, but nonetheless, funny. However, this "funny" is tempered by the thought that pretty much everyone of his jokes and even lines in Season 7 is a joke or line that Xander did not have. I know, I know, new characters are great and all, but Xander was completely underused in Season 7, with very little funny. Andrew was a big reason for this.

Also, personally, I found Season 7 to be the weakest season of BTVS by far, like, by a couple of lightyears. And since Andrew plays a big part of Season 7, he does not escape my dislike.

I hated Andrew on Angel too though, so, maybe I just don't like Andrew. In fact, when I see the actor in bad, lame commercials, even though I know I shouldn't for all kinds of reasons, I chuckle on the inside, content in the knowledge that many casting agents seem to agree with me: Andrew sucks.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
Last night I saw a promo for Dollhouse during Fringe which implies that Fox is at least trying to promote the show. It ended with a strange half naked Faith but if it gets viewers it can't be all bad. I won't watch American Idol or 24 in this lifetime so I don't know if it's being promoted there at all.

Haven't seen any Terminator commercials if that compares at all.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Bunnita posted:

Haven't seen any Terminator commercials if that compares at all.

And that worries me.

On your first point, I saw a promo for it on FX last night during Nip/Tuck.

Friendly Geek
Aug 11, 2005
Your friendly neighborhood geek. Friendly and/or geeky since 1982.
Okay, so here's my question. I'm planning on trying to get my boyfriend to watch an episode or two to see if I might be able to get him into the show. I don't want to start him off with the first season because the show's just not as well put together as it is later on. I'm thinking an episode or two in Season 2 or 3, but I'm not sure where to start him, and I'm really looking for a little advice. He's an action guy for sure, and I think he'd love Oz because he and Oz are very similar personalities. I don't want to have to explain too terribly much, but I don't want him to be completely turned off by a bad episode either. Anyone have some good suggestions for me?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Friendly Geek posted:

Okay, so here's my question. I'm planning on trying to get my boyfriend to watch an episode or two to see if I might be able to get him into the show. I don't want to start him off with the first season because the show's just not as well put together as it is later on. I'm thinking an episode or two in Season 2 or 3, but I'm not sure where to start him, and I'm really looking for a little advice. He's an action guy for sure, and I think he'd love Oz because he and Oz are very similar personalities. I don't want to have to explain too terribly much, but I don't want him to be completely turned off by a bad episode either. Anyone have some good suggestions for me?

I barely tolerated Buffy all through Season 1, although I liked the finale, "Prophecy Girl." However, it all clicked for me with Season 2, episode 3, "School Hard," the first appearance of Spike and Drusilla. A bunch of vamps led by Spike attack the high school on open house night for parents (or something like that), and Buffy and the Scoobies have to fight back while still downplaying the whole vampire thing to her mother and the other adults who don't know better. It has plenty of action, introduces two great characters, and is one of the best early episodes of the show. I don't think Oz had been introduced quite yet, but he shows up right around that episode.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
"School Hard" was indeed the ep that finally sold me on the show. Something seemed to be missing, and then Spike rocks up and everything makes sense.
(I only started watching in like '03, so I'd seen tiny pieces before)

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Stonefish posted:

"School Hard" was indeed the ep that finally sold me on the show.
Same here. I did like the show before that, but that episode was when it really went up a gear. I also showed it to my girlfriend at the time and she liked it, so it's probably a good intro ep.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

"Prophecy Girl."

The walk to the school to the theme song of the show pretty much killed that episode for me. I don't know WHY small things like that annoy me but good god they do (kinda like in the Pilot of Star Trek TNG when they played the whole theme to the saucer separation).

It's almost like "LOOK AT THIS!! IT'S SO IMPORTANT THAT WE'RE PLAYING THE SHOW'S THEME SONG IN ITS ENTIRITY!!" Yet in this case it's just walking down a street in sped up motion to simulate a montage.

Chex Warrior
Oct 26, 2007
Well, thanks to "Doublemeat Palace" I'm never eating fast food again. drat/Thank you Joss Whedon.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!
I never realized that the kid who played Connor is now Pete on Mad Men.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Buffy has an incredible number of cameras creeping into shot. And booms. I don't think I've ever noticed it happening as much in another programme.

The one in The Body is pretty bad, but not as bad as the camera operator on rails doing a tracking shot during a fall down stairs in the zombie mask episode.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Buffy has an incredible number of cameras creeping into shot. And booms. I don't think I've ever noticed it happening as much in another programme.

The one in The Body is pretty bad, but not as bad as the camera operator on rails doing a tracking shot during a fall down stairs in the zombie mask episode.

I've seen The Body like half a dozen times and I've never noticed this. What shot is it in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's one of the morgue waiting room scenes. Facing the couches with the cast standing around you can see the lense of a coverage camera on the left of screen, it then cuts to what looks like that camera's footage.

• Locked thread