Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

spottedfeces posted:

This is it for now, until I get some good feedback and end up having to change everything. So, speaking of feedback, what do y'all think?

I think the lighting doesn't pop. It's hard to see into the cell. If it were my scene I would make the window a brighter blue, and then have the moonlight obviously shining into the room. Squint your eyes and see how the room reads. That'll blend all of the values together to show how they react. The bars are so bright that they dominate the scene. If you look up the artist Gustave Dore you can see how he uses light and dark to make scenes dark.

One way to do that would be to make the bars really dark, and then the interior a lot brighter. You could even add blue rim lighting as if it's shining from the window, and then a soft yellowish fill on them to make them distinct. Lighting is about creating a mood and effect rather than just straight out doing what could possibly be realistic.

Also I've noticed this a lot but your images always feel fairly blurry as if there is a lot of compression is going on.

What kind of lighting are you using on this scene?

Edit: Short answer on the way Gustave Dore uses dark and light. Dark is in the foreground and light is in the background making for a really dramatic pop. See some of his stuff to really experience it though. PM or IM me if you want me to send you a zip of his images.

Hinchu fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 31, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

I have not one, but two commercials premiering on the superbowl! A coke spot and a toyota tundra spot.

edit: 3 commercials. A sprint ad as well.

PowerLlama fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 1, 2009

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I have a bunch of animation cycles on different files and I want to put them all on the same character in one file. I'm using biped. Does anybody know if I can do this and how?
I tried saving the biped and then loading it into the file, but it deletes the animation that was already there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can save the animation for the biped out. Details are bit fuzzy because I've not done it in awhile, but it's right in one of the very earliest Biped tutorials.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

Hinchu posted:

I think the lighting doesn't pop. It's hard to see into the cell. If it were my scene I would make the window a brighter blue, and then have the moonlight obviously shining into the room. Squint your eyes and see how the room reads. That'll blend all of the values together to show how they react. The bars are so bright that they dominate the scene. If you look up the artist Gustave Dore you can see how he uses light and dark to make scenes dark.

One way to do that would be to make the bars really dark, and then the interior a lot brighter. You could even add blue rim lighting as if it's shining from the window, and then a soft yellowish fill on them to make them distinct. Lighting is about creating a mood and effect rather than just straight out doing what could possibly be realistic.

Also I've noticed this a lot but your images always feel fairly blurry as if there is a lot of compression is going on.

What kind of lighting are you using on this scene?

Edit: Short answer on the way Gustave Dore uses dark and light. Dark is in the foreground and light is in the background making for a really dramatic pop. See some of his stuff to really experience it though. PM or IM me if you want me to send you a zip of his images.

Thanks for the great advice! I appreciate it.

Here's an update with my attempt to put those words into practice.

Edit: Altered the render a bit.

spottedfeces fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 1, 2009

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks. I'll check the tutorials to see if I can find anything.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

spottedfeces posted:

Thanks for the great advice! I appreciate it.

Here's an update with my attempt to put those words into practice.

Edit: Altered the render a bit.

How does the water get from the cistern to the pan?

Bakkon
Jun 7, 2006

SQUIRTLE SQUAD

PowerLlama posted:

A coke spot

I may have just saw this. Was it the one where people were turning into videogame characters and ended with the orc turning into a girl? I didn't really understand the point of it, but it looked good!

edit: Just saw one with a bunch of bugs stealing a Coke. Maybe that was it?

Bakkon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 2, 2009

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

Gromit posted:

How does the water get from the cistern to the pan?

Underground pipes? I'll admit I kinda fudged that part, since all the pictures I could find were from the front, so I just guessed. I take it when it's that kind of toilet the pipe attachs directly to the john?

Edit: I just google image searched cistern and pan, and it turns out that it does. I guess it would have been easier if I knew the technical terms like cistern and pan. Anyway, I'll fix that now. Thanks for pointing that out!

spottedfeces fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 2, 2009

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Hackuma posted:

I have a bunch of animation cycles on different files and I want to put them all on the same character in one file. I'm using biped. Does anybody know if I can do this and how?
I tried saving the biped and then loading it into the file, but it deletes the animation that was already there.

Try putting them on different layers first?

I don't do much animation myself. If I can remember I can ask one of the animators at work today.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Never completed a character model before. Trying to make a basemesh for sculpting. I'm scared. :(

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That all looks great for sculpting
I would go through and get rid of the tris though, they won't subdivide very well and you will probably get pinching and stuff.
Are you going to export the clothing separately and use it as a subtool? (Assuming you're using ZBrush)

An update of the Iggy model
Still fairly rough in parts, hair is still a wreck but getting closer, it'll be done in MAX anyway.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

That all looks great for sculpting
I would go through and get rid of the tris though, they won't subdivide very well and you will probably get pinching and stuff.
Are you going to export the clothing separately and use it as a subtool? (Assuming you're using ZBrush)
I was gonna use mudbox, but I was planning on exporting the clothes as separate meshes, yeah.

As for the tris, I can get rid of some of them pretty easily, but others (like the ones on the side of the torso) I don't know how to get rid of without adding another edgeloop, which makes the quads in that area less square. What's the best way to handle that?

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

I spent the entire weekend working on making Scarecrow not creepy as gently caress. He's definitely been uncanny valley. Still hiking my way out of there as much as I can. It's so frustrating... It's been a lot of little tweaks. I think he's working a lot better now.

The problem now is that he still doesn't read well from a distance. Plus I'm struggling with the ambient occlusion. The straw is activating it and creating these annoying black places in certain areas. I'm still tweaking certain bones and weight maps. I also need to add more straw.

I'm trying to get these models as perfect as I can for when I start animating. I'm actually getting closer. I still have one more rig to build for this first scene though... Ugh. But at least he won't be that detailed.

Edit: Old scarecrow model to see what I tweaked.

Hinchu fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 3, 2009

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

theta-ix posted:

As for the tris, I can get rid of some of them pretty easily, but others (like the ones on the side of the torso) I don't know how to get rid of without adding another edgeloop, which makes the quads in that area less square. What's the best way to handle that?

I would take the less square quads over tris. You can always smooth out or relax the area in the sculpting app before you get into really high subdivisions.

The tris on the shoulder blade area could be handled as in this lovely diagram.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Cool, thanks! That went pretty smoothly.

Added hands and some baggy pants (he's a slovenly young person). At the moment they read like sweatpants to me--not sure if that's because of the way the groin/rear area is modelled, or because the cuffs at the bottom aren't defined yet. I guess I'll have to sort that out in mudbox.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

Hinchu posted:

I spent the entire weekend working on making Scarecrow not creepy as gently caress. He's definitely been uncanny valley. Still hiking my way out of there as much as I can. It's so frustrating... It's been a lot of little tweaks. I think he's working a lot better now.

The problem now is that he still doesn't read well from a distance. Plus I'm struggling with the ambient occlusion. The straw is activating it and creating these annoying black places in certain areas. I'm still tweaking certain bones and weight maps. I also need to add more straw.

I'm trying to get these models as perfect as I can for when I start animating. I'm actually getting closer. I still have one more rig to build for this first scene though... Ugh. But at least he won't be that detailed.

Edit: Old scarecrow model to see what I tweaked.

I really like this new scarecrow, it's looking great!

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

theta-ix posted:

Added hands and some baggy pants (he's a slovenly young person). At the moment they read like sweatpants to me--not sure if that's because of the way the groin/rear area is modelled, or because the cuffs at the bottom aren't defined yet. I guess I'll have to sort that out in mudbox.

Yeah, my advice would be not to spend too much time sweating over the forms in MAX if you're going to be taking it into a sculpting app. I'd add one more edgeloop in the bottom ring of the pants and call them done. In the sculpting app you could go with tight jeans, baggy rave pants, anything. Some really amazing artists use the most blocky, crude basemeshes you've ever seen. A lot of them actually like to start with a really blocky, formless mesh so it doesn't influence the creative process in ZBrush/Mudbox.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

theta-ix posted:

Cool, thanks! That went pretty smoothly.

It looks like you compounded your issue with tri's on the shoulder blades

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Yip Yips posted:

It looks like you compounded your issue with tri's on the shoulder blades
Should have mentioned, it's just z-fighting from the body mesh underneath, which I haven't deleted yet.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Okay the Lightwave Core live stream was horribly embarrasing to watch, did anyone else catch it?

Besides the fact that they demonstrated a bunch of features that were present in Maya 1.0, there were horrible editing errors and the presenters had as much charisma reading the cue cards as a door to door tupperware salesman.

edit: link here: http://www.veoh.com/search/videos/q/Lw+core#watch%3Dv17421006ShAqREfA

tuna fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 5, 2009

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

spottedfeces posted:

Underground pipes? I'll admit I kinda fudged that part, since all the pictures I could find were from the front, so I just guessed. I take it when it's that kind of toilet the pipe attachs directly to the john?

Edit: I just google image searched cistern and pan, and it turns out that it does. I guess it would have been easier if I knew the technical terms like cistern and pan. Anyway, I'll fix that now. Thanks for pointing that out!

Hey, no problem. I don't like to be super picky on things (who am I kidding?) but that stood out. And you got to learn ancient crapper topology, so it's been a huge win for you. :)

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Try putting them on different layers first?

I don't do much animation myself. If I can remember I can ask one of the animators at work today.

I already got it figured out. I copied the poses and then imported and pasted them. For some reason it didn't import the root movement so I had to redo that but it wasn't a big deal because the animations were pretty short in general.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A guy I know is writing a short film, I'm doing a bit of concepting and modeling for him. I modeled this much tonight from a concept sketch by a crazy talented illustrator he found. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the concept so I won't :( He drew a cool costume for him as well so I'll do that too.

Base Mesh in MAX, sculpted in ZBrush

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 5, 2009

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

EoinCannon posted:

A guy I know is writing a short film, I'm doing a bit of concepting and modeling for him. I modeled this much tonight from a concept sketch by a crazy talented illustrator he found. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the concept so I won't :( He drew a cool costume for him as well so I'll do that too.

Base Mesh in MAX, sculpted in ZBrush

poo poo man, you got that whole anatomy thing wrapped around your finger. :worship:

Here's another artsyfartsy render of my chair:

Click here for the full 1120x1200 image.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

International Log posted:

poo poo man, you got that whole anatomy thing wrapped around your finger. :worship:

Here's another artsyfartsy render of my chair:

Click here for the full 1120x1200 image.

That's a really nice fabric texture you have there.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

The Orphanage in SF is going under apparently. Had of lot classmates who went through there. I heard there were 6 studios in LA which recently went under too.

Scary stuff.

EoinCannon: Your work is getting better all the time. However, I think Iggy's pecs need more volume, or less wrinkles, or both. How do you plan doing the hair exactly? I always find hair to be a bitch, no matter what your approach. The minotaur looks pretty good for broad detail. Do you use any image ref plugin for zbrush, or do you just have a second monitor with your ref which you eyeball?

International Log: Are those low intensity area lights in your screengrab, or portal lights?

Jeremy Birn just posted some clips from his DVD on Vimeo.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 6, 2009

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Yeah, they say the entertainment industry is recession proof, but I got laid off from Disney Interactive last week so I don't buy that! Hopefully things will pull up soon. I hate seeing studios go down.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 6, 2009

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cheers Guys

Sigma: I agree with you on the Iggy model, I doesn't read as wrinkly skin stretched over muscle yet. I'm not really experienced at modeling fine, tertiary details and I thought Iggy would be good to practice on. The hair I will try and do with hair&fur in MAX. I've done some tests and it looks barely acceptable. I'll comp it on after the texturing and everything,

The devil character, (on which I now notice the biceps are waaaay too long) was modeled from a reference sketch by an illustrator. I just have it sitting on my second monitor. I also referenced a few pictures of body builders.

Love the lighting you bring to the studio renders Log. So clean

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Aargh posted:

That's a really nice fabric texture you have there.

Thanks. It is but a mere bumpmap.

sigma 6 posted:

The Orphanage in SF is going under apparently. Had of lot classmates who went through there. I heard there were 6 studios in LA which recently went under too.

Scary stuff.

International Log: Are those low intensity area lights in your screengrab, or portal lights?

But.. but.. what about the children man!

I'm looking for another job now too, but thats because my current one sucks.. I'm the only one there that does what i do, so i can't grow career wise. Also the pay/boss/colleagues stink (some do literally!). But on the other hand, i do get some job security out of it, even though its apparent they couldn't manage finances in the past.

They are low intensity arealights. If you render it without a vrayphyscam you get a very dark scene, but I used the camera options to brighten it up.

EoinCannon posted:

Love the lighting you bring to the studio renders Log. So clean

Thanks! :D

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Eoin, Log - Awesome!

I am sculpting my first sculpt. Haven't subdivided it very much yet, and going for some TF2-style cartoon edges on the face.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 6, 2009

ZergCow
Nov 3, 2002
Just wondering if I could get a little help on rigging. I am wanting to make the Walking Creatures of Theo Jansen. But I can not for the life of me figure out rigging in Maya. I only use Maya to make models for virtual worlds. I have never tried rigging so this is my first attempt. I got the constraints down individually and i understand how each one works. I still don't get the bones and how they work and I think that why I am having a hard time making this work.

So here is my attempt (screen shot) http://caseymb.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/walkingmachine.jpg

and here is an example of what I am trying to build (youtube video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CufN43By79s

Any tips or pointers?

Bonus picture of another project I am working on which I have animated:

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS
I just made my first texture :D
http://heeen.de/proj/screenshader3.avi (it's the monitor)

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

Gromit posted:

Hey, no problem. I don't like to be super picky on things (who am I kidding?) but that stood out. And you got to learn ancient crapper topology, so it's been a huge win for you. :)

Well now I know. Hurray for knowledge!

Here's the next one I started.

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Yeah, they say the entertainment industry is recession proof, but I got laid off from Disney Interactive last week so I don't buy that! Hopefully things will pull up soon. I hate seeing studios go down.

poo poo that sucks man. I had a Starz recruiter call me last week they need animators up in Toronto. Also, Imageworks is still looking to fill a couple of animator seats as we start on Burton's Alice and Cats n Dogs 2.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
'Nother chair:

Click here for the full 1872x1190 image.

Artek Alvar Aalto 43 Chaise Lounge

Chaise lounge chair from 1936-1937, first shown in the Finnish Pavilion designed by Aalto for the Paris World's Fair. Laminated birch cantilever arms/sled base.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

International Log posted:

'Nother chair:

Click here for the full 1872x1190 image.

Artek Alvar Aalto 43 Chaise Lounge

Chaise lounge chair from 1936-1937, first shown in the Finnish Pavilion designed by Aalto for the Paris World's Fair. Laminated birch cantilever arms/sled base.

All of your stuff is looking great. What is your lighting technique?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, your studio setups are really nice Log
How many samples do you have on the reflection glossiness for the various materials?
I can see a little grain here and there, I'm just looking for anything to nitpick though :)
Great job.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! :haw:

It's quite simple actually, i just made some HDR's of a mini studio setup i have standing at home, and put those in my vraylights.

Eoin: Yeah, i'm still trying to get the grain away. Right now the black leather and wood reflect subdivs are set to 32, DMC sampler is set to 2/5. Trying to figure out where its coming from.

edit: I've set the material subdivs to 64(!), which seems to work:

Click here for the full 1886x1200 image.

roughly 40 minutes to render on a q6600.

International Log fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

It's like a Poäng Chair's great grandfather. I must have one, though I assume that's about as likely as me justifying a barcelona + ottoman.