Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

HVD posted:

Gauntlet?

Nah, That's an arcade style game and I thought of how similar what I was describing the two are.

This was more like a diablo style game that was very medieval and you had to gather your characters in the first level progressively. You had quest and poo poo to complete.. wish I could remember more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

^^ Not it.

Uhh let me think of what else the game had. You were the sheriff though not by choice, which was part of the reason you had to fight that guy. At one point a bunch of outlaws come into town and you have to shoot them down. You stay at a gambling parlor and can play card games, there was a Frenchman there too.

Man I wish I could remember its name

edit: I could be mistaken on most of these details too

Was it Law of the West?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Yeah, it was Isle of the Dead, thanks. :)

And that cowboy game, for some reason, makes it sound like you're talking about Dust: A Tale of the Wired West.

BoiledHand
Feb 10, 2001

pud posted:

Flying Warriors.

Yes! I was thinking it was called 'Flying Heroes'. I must find this game now. Was there ever any sequels?

BoiledHand
Feb 10, 2001

Dewgy posted:

Yeah, it was Isle of the Dead, thanks. :)

And that cowboy game, for some reason, makes it sound like you're talking about Dust: A Tale of the Wired West.

The giveaway was the quit screen when you blow your head off, it was cool. I remember when I was about 12 I was with my brother in some software store and we pooled our money and bought Isle of the Deal because it looked so cool on the box. Little did we know we bought an unbeatable game; we spent dozens of hours running around the island and could never figure out how to finish it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Rock Tumbler posted:

Was it Law of the West?

No, this one was a lot more realistic looking. The graphics weren't that good but they definitely weren't cartoony.

edit:

quote:

gently caress yes, this was it!!

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 2, 2009

Rincebrain
Dec 10, 2004

YOU KISS THAT GIRL THIS INSTANT
Tragically, I can't find the person who requested this title (sorry!) but Metal Warriors for the SNES was a side-scrolling platformer where you played as a mech, and you occasionally had to get out and wander around as a puny human that would die very easily to the equally-huge mechs laying around, and find a new suit. Sometimes you'd even have to play as multiple different ones in the same round. [The caveat was that they took "realistic" battle damage, so you could get screwed by blowing up your mech.]

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Ninth Layer posted:

gently caress yes, this was it!!

Staying at the gambling house was what gave it away for me. :)

I've got two more, though sadly these are going to be from memories that are a decade old, if not older, so they could be kinda tough.

First up is a weird little platformer, that was a shareware episodic game back in the era of CGA/EGA. It was vaguely fantasy themed, had three episodes (each sold separately IIRC), and you shot little beams to fight enemies and had real pixelated human hearts for a lifebar. Very basic, similar to Jill of the Jungle style platforming too. I believe it MAY have been published by Apogee, as well.

Next is much more vague, and I only remember the opening sequence of the game. You were riding on horseback, and were a prince or knight or something along those lines, but I don't recall you being very heavily armored. While riding, you only had two controls, swing the sword or lean off the side of the horse (to dodge unkillable stuff or pick things up off the ground like potions). I think if you managed to get past this, you went off horseback, but I could never get much further because I was terrible at it. It had a decent style to it, though, and was definitely fantasy themed.

LiquidNasty
May 16, 2002

These Swipers Can't Swipe Me

Dewgy posted:

First up is a weird little platformer, that was a shareware episodic game back in the era of CGA/EGA. It was vaguely fantasy themed, had three episodes (each sold separately IIRC), and you shot little beams to fight enemies and had real pixelated human hearts for a lifebar. Very basic, similar to Jill of the Jungle style platforming too. I believe it MAY have been published by Apogee, as well.

This sounds like Xargon, but there are pixellated strawberries, not hearts. You shoot beams, though.

VV Hey, I remember that one too! VV

LiquidNasty fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 2, 2009

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

The bit about the human heart life gauge makes me think of Dark Ages. Apogee, too, at that.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Dewgy posted:

Next is much more vague, and I only remember the opening sequence of the game. You were riding on horseback, and were a prince or knight or something along those lines, but I don't recall you being very heavily armored. While riding, you only had two controls, swing the sword or lean off the side of the horse (to dodge unkillable stuff or pick things up off the ground like potions). I think if you managed to get past this, you went off horseback, but I could never get much further because I was terrible at it. It had a decent style to it, though, and was definitely fantasy themed.

Wrath of the Demon?

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

The Crusher posted:

Some old PC game I got as a birthday gift at least 8-9 years ago. It was a medieval setting with 4 heroes that you eventually gathered and could play as, while the three others were NPC controlled until you switched. There was a swordsman, an archer, a wizard, and a barbarian. It was an over head view, I remember you always started as the swordsman and he had like... bags of explosive powder he could throw.

I really want to say the name was some version of the word "Quest" but I have no idea.

Maybe this is the game you're thinking of?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Dark Ages and Wrath of the Demon are both right. You guys are good at this. :)

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
Hey guys, I need help finding a "game" that I want to mention in a presentation tomorrow.

Its a zero player game where a basic ecosystem with plants herbivores and carnivores exist on a plane. With each Creature born there is a different note played depending on its size and a note for a death.

The result is a procedurally generated piece of music based on the activity in the ecosystem.

What is this game?

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
Sorry to double post but I really need to find this as soon as I can. I'm sure one of you remembers because I first heard about it in one of these threads. If only I could use search....

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Quickpull posted:

Sorry to double post but I really need to find this as soon as I can. I'm sure one of you remembers because I first heard about it in one of these threads. If only I could use search....

Was it a DS game? Kinda sounds like Electroplanktin

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

shaitan posted:

Was it a DS game? Kinda sounds like Electroplanktin

No it's a PC game, if you can call it a game anyway.
The graphics are very simplistic and everything takes place on a flat white plane.

You could also load your own sound sets into the sound folder to change the way the music sounded, there was a collection of user made sets on the guys website (I'm pretty sure it was made by one guy, it's not very complicated)

BethelBAR
Apr 17, 2008

by Cowcaster
Another PC demo I played a good 7 or 8 years ago, as I remember you hunted dinosaurs, it was set in a jungle but the horrible USP of the game was that you had full control of the characters wrist rotation and hands for manipulation. Any idea?

BethelBAR fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 5, 2009

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

BethelBAR posted:

Another PC demo I played a good 7 or 8 years ago, as I remember you hunted dinosaurs, it was set in a jungle but the horrible USP of the game was that you had full control of the characters wrist rotation and hands for manipulation. Any idea?

That's the infamous Jurassic Park: Trespasser. It had some ideas that looked good on paper (such as the ambitions physics simulation and complex dinosaur AI), but which ended up failing. It seems like they were aiming even higher than Half-Life 2, and they were trying to do it 6 years earlier.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Erasmus Darwin posted:

That's the infamous Jurassic Park: Trespasser. It had some ideas that looked good on paper (such as the ambitions physics simulation and complex dinosaur AI), but which ended up failing. It seems like they were aiming even higher than Half-Life 2, and they were trying to do it 6 years earlier.

Research Indicates did a fantastic Let's Play of this game a few months ago. Watching it is probably a lot more fun than actually trying to play the thing would be. Of course now I can't find it.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Research Indicates did a fantastic Let's Play of this game a few months ago. Watching it is probably a lot more fun than actually trying to play the thing would be. Of course now I can't find it.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Trespasser/

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
Okay, I have one. I played it something like a decade ago (I live in Australia btw), it was an arcade game stretched out across a tabletop with buttons on both sides for two people to play. It had very low graphics, pixellated and VGA I think, it was in space, one player controlled a squadron of bats (in a triangle of 10?) and the other player controlled a squadron of ships, and they swooped from time to time and such. Something like that, it's ages ago but I distinctively remember playing it and drinking creaming soda. I also don't remember having figured out the controls.

Anyone care to take a guess at what game I might have played?

EDIT: Oh, have another while I'm posting.

It was on one of the old sega consoles, again this is about a decade ago. It was a horizontally scrolling shmup, controlling a ship (but there was a collectable powerup with T on it that transformed it into a mech with a different setup of bullets). One of the levels (the first one I think) ended with a boss that was like a dragon with chains and stuff. One of the levels started with a huge sphere with detachable quarters. A bunch of the levels had sections which were indoor technological corridors with bow-wielding statues (think cupidish) that rose from the floor and ceiling to shoot arrows diagonally forward.

EDIT 2: Okay, one more.

It was an omnidirectional shmup for the PC, saw a relative of mine play it 5-10 years ago, reminded me of a version of tyrian where you could rotate your ship in any direction back then. I swear it's called Zone101 or something but I can't find it in a google search. Graphics were 16-bit, weapons could be upgraded to a ridiculous spread. I remember this huge spread of orange bullets distinctly and maybe a spread of purple ones.
Also, at least one level was on a grassy background with...grey walls? Maybe. The ship was probably grey though.

Patashu fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 5, 2009

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Your last one might be Zone66, Patashu.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
Oh, no wonder it reminded me of Tyrian then - same company. :mmmhmm:

Thanks!

EDIT: I was about to ask about another game, but with a bit of detective work (I found an image of it on a cd case full of shareware games (which mysteriously doesn't have the game in question :confused:), and it had a text snipit on it) I managed to find that one out by myself. It's called Local Area Dungeon and it's a windows 3.1 era roguelike. Now I feel this incredible urge to go through all those windows/dos games I played ages ago and conquer them with my now greater intellect!

Patashu fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 5, 2009

khy
Aug 15, 2005

This thread makes me Nostalgic and sad. I remember playing all these great old games and I sit here thinking how much fun they used to be. And yet I know that if I go download them and try them out they'll suck horribly and I'll get bored and lose interest in 15 minutes. :(

So rather than ask about a good game I don't want my memories of to be ruined, I'll ask about a lovely game I remember vaguely and have no fond memories of to ruin :v:

It's an old shareware first-person RPG, somewhat similar to Might & Magic. You started out in a town with multiple dungeons in it (I recall a sewer and a prison, there may have been more). I seem to recall every dungeon area with monsters being underground. It was amazingly difficult and easy as hell to die. HORRIBLY maze-ish. Probably 1990-1995ish. PC game, I think windows-based. I seem to vaguely remember white brick walls throughout most of the town. I know it wasn't one of the Might & Magic series, and I do not remember seeing your weapon at the bottom of the screen. It was 3D but you could only move 1 screen at a time and only in north/south/east/west. Any ideas?

khy fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 5, 2009

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Plinth posted:

Maybe this is the game you're thinking of?

THAT'S IT! THANKS A BUNCH!!!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

It's an old shareware first-person RPG, somewhat similar to Might & Magic. You started out in a town with multiple dungeons in it (I recall a sewer and a prison, there may have been more). I seem to recall every dungeon area with monsters being underground. It was amazingly difficult and easy as hell to die. HORRIBLY maze-ish. Probably 1990-1995ish. PC game, I think windows-based. I seem to vaguely remember white brick walls throughout most of the town. I know it wasn't one of the Might & Magic series, and I do not remember seeing your weapon at the bottom of the screen. It was 3D but you could only move 1 screen at a time and only in north/south/east/west. Any ideas?

Those weren't terribly uncommon, unfortunately. My best guess would be one of Moraff's games though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bieeardo posted:

Those weren't terribly uncommon, unfortunately. My best guess would be one of Moraff's games though.

Jesus these bring back extremely faint memories. I remember the big blue orbs, but I seem to remember the version I was playing looking better than Moraff's World, but that just might be nostalgia. This is going to bug the crap out of me.

VVVV Holy poo poo that game! I remember playing that a lot as a kid, but being unable to get anywhere. If I remember right, it took me a while before I even figured out how to get into the dungeon.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 5, 2009

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Bieeardo posted:

Nope, but searching for Moraff's games led me to find out what it was!

'Ancients I - The Deathwatch'

A Screenshot of the Dungeon

Maybe it's not as bad as I remember, it could just be that I wasn't very good at it and I got frustrated too easily or something. But I remember disliking it immensely and yet I'd always play it at my grandparents house since their PC was OLD, it couldn't run newer stuff, and all they had were a bunch of crappy shareware games I'd replay over and over again :v:

khy fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 5, 2009

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Jesus. The craziest thing is, that was my second guess... but I couldn't remember the title.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend wants to remember the name of this game she played in middle school on the computers they had there. She does not remember much about the game tho.. so I am having a hard time finding it for her.

She remembers that there was a mini game where you had to suck up viruses with an extendable vacuum hose from a fixed position in the middle. You were an alien... and if the virus got to you your ship would fall to the bottom.

She believes there was also another mini game included where one would build robots.

Quite. She says it was on the schools computers along with Oregon Trail deluxe, and lemmings... if that helps place the era any.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Kharmakazy posted:

Quite. She says it was on the schools computers along with Oregon Trail deluxe, and lemmings... if that helps place the era any.

I'm thinking Number Crunchers or Odell Lake.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Chinook posted:

I'm thinking Number Crunchers or Odell Lake.

I'm pretty sure its neither of those. Odell lake was about fish.. and number crunchers was a little green man on a checkerboard of numbers.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
There was a PC game, that came out sometime around I think 1992 where you are a budding music video producer on some weird rear end planet and your job is to go out onto the planet's surface and record footage to edit into videos. Oh and there was some kind of food processor in the basement. Not the best description I'm sure, but can anyone name it?

Hoopaloops
Oct 21, 2005
There was a game for SNES where you played as cavemen or something who battled a bunch of dinosaurs and dinosaur-like things (most of the big bosses were dinosaurs I think). You could play with 1 or 2 people co-op, and you could also spend outrageous sums of money to upgrade your hut with spiffy furnishings. Any ideas?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
There was a Navyfield-esque tank combat game a few years back. It was goonrushed for about 3 weeks, then everyone bailed. What was that game and is it still around?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Hoopaloops posted:

There was a game for SNES where you played as cavemen or something who battled a bunch of dinosaurs and dinosaur-like things (most of the big bosses were dinosaurs I think). You could play with 1 or 2 people co-op, and you could also spend outrageous sums of money to upgrade your hut with spiffy furnishings. Any ideas?

Joe & Mac? I think you might be thinking of the second one. Maybe. Been a while since I played it.

Also, I remember a game that used to be on...some system. I know that's exceptionally vague, but one of the unique properties of this game was that it was actually in the system's memory, so that when you turn the system on without any games in it, this game would start up. Might've been some sort of Sega system. It involved a little boy that carried around a punching glove, and it was a platformer. Beyond that, it's all lost.

Oh wait I remember a second game. It was a skateboarding game for the Atari, and what you were supposed to do was go through an entire building and turn on (or off, I forget) every piece of equipment in the building by skating on it, or somesuch. I remember jumping off the roof because it was rad. Possibly gnarly.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 10, 2009

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

SnatchRabbit posted:

There was a PC game, that came out sometime around I think 1992 where you are a budding music video producer on some weird rear end planet and your job is to go out onto the planet's surface and record footage to edit into videos. Oh and there was some kind of food processor in the basement. Not the best description I'm sure, but can anyone name it?

Total Distortion, possibly?

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Morpheus posted:

Also, I remember a game that used to be on...some system. I know that's exceptionally vague, but one of the unique properties of this game was that it was actually in the system's memory, so that when you turn the system on without any games in it, this game would start up. Might've been some sort of Sega system. It involved a little boy that carried around a punching glove, and it was a platformer. Beyond that, it's all lost.

Possibly Alex Kidd in Miracle World?

quote:

Oh wait I remember a second game. It was a skateboarding game for the Atari, and what you were supposed to do was go through an entire building and turn on (or off, I forget) every piece of equipment in the building by skating on it, or somesuch. I remember jumping off the roof because it was rad. Possibly gnarly.

Pretty sure this one's Super Skateboardin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Old DOS game, side-scrolling shmup. You played as a little grey spaceship (with a blue windshield IIRC) and flew through four or five levels. I remember very little about the game, except it had parallax scrolling backgrounds, some sort of gigantic grey ship boss that took up most of the screen (you flew overtop it I think), and there was either a cheat or a default option to turn off the different parallax layers.

The graphic style was also that very aged "we like using simple gradients for EVERYTHING" look from before developers actually knew how to properly use the VGA color palette.

• Locked thread