Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoNNo530
Mar 18, 2002

inignot posted:

EIGRP will do unequal cost load balancing.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a008009437d.shtml

Sorry, I should have been more specific.. I know EIGRP can do unequal cost load-balancing. What I am wondering is if I can do it over two multilinks. I've never tried it and wanted some feedback. If it doesn't work I am not going to bother migrating both multilinks into one router. I would rather have two routers each with a multilink for fail-over purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

BoNNo530 posted:

Sorry, I should have been more specific.. I know EIGRP can do unequal cost load-balancing. What I am wondering is if I can do it over two multilinks. I've never tried it and wanted some feedback. If it doesn't work I am not going to bother migrating both multilinks into one router. I would rather have two routers each with a multilink for fail-over purposes.

I don't see why not. Multilink PPP results in a logical interface, you can put whatever bandwidth value on it you want & tune EIGRP as needed.

Set it up in GNS3 and see what happens.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
QoS is hard, and I'm practicing, but I have some questions.

I have an 851w for an internet router. I can't do custom QoS on it (Software image doesn't support it because Cisco wants you to buy an 871 for that), but I know that it supports QoS from say a Cisco IP Phone or something like that. However I can't define Class-maps or Policy-maps on it.

I do have a 3560G switch though, and it does support full QoS etc. So what I want to do is prioritize all traffic over bittorrent traffic. I'm thinking that because the port is 100Mb to the router and my internet connection is around 6mb down and 512kb up that I can simulate congestion on that link by limiting the bandwidth of the switchport. Not sure if I can make it only limit the upload though.

The problem with bittorrent is saturating the upstream. The downstream rarely gets overwhelmed, but I know the 512up gets obliterated pretty good. I also know that I can limit my upload via the bittorrent client, but I'd rather have a more flexible solution so that during the day when no one is home we can get our full 40K up.

So does someone know how to make this work? If I can just figure out how to make the 851 think I've got some Cisco IP Phones connected or some otherway of enabling QoS that will help a lot too. Any ideas?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
If CBWFQ is not enabled in your image, how about Priority Queuing?

Basically you want to tag the traffic inbound from the lan (and on the switch if you run dot1q between switch and router) and apply the policy on your wan interface.

If you can't classify the traffic (no CBWFQ) with layer 2 or 3 QoS bits you want to downgrade, you can still use access lists. Make an access list with all the traffic you want to give priority to like esp, or whatever your IP phone is using to get to the server, web surfing, etc. By default the traffic not classified in that list will get the normal queue.

You get 4 queues; High, Medium, Normal, Low

3660-1#sh queueing interface serial 3/0
Interface Serial3/0 queueing strategy: priority

Output queue utilization (queue/count)
high/350169 medium/0 normal/19073366 low/0

This is some T1 that is doing a simple queue to make sure some guy's IP phone calls aren't lovely when others are banging away at the circuit grabbing source code or something not as time sensitive.

If the router says it supports QoS, I would assume that it will read various QoS settings (layer 2 802.1q cos tags, layer 3 IP Precedence and DSCP bits), and 'trust' the value. Not sure how it would act on it if its crippled. Maybe there is a default config and you cant touch it?

e: In a perfect world, your IP phone would hit the switchport on a dot1q trunk. The phone is probably throwing out dot1q cos 5 tags if you set it to trunk. If it is coming out with a cos of 1 you can just change the tag right there to a 5 on ingress. The PC is on another switchport, banging away at a cos of 1. When the IP phone frame exits the switch into the router once again they agree on the cos5 for the ethernet frame that contains the voice stream. The router sees the cos5 tag, checks it's queuing strategy and policy and sticks it in the high priority queue like the guy's vpn in the example above. For traffic coming within a node, just classify it in an access list by inclusion or exclusion upstream.

e2: Not sure why I thought the guy had DSL. See if you can do show commands against the default global policy.

Herv fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 11, 2009

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he doesn't have a Cisco IP Phone. He has a 3560G, a PC, and a 851.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

jwh posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he doesn't have a Cisco IP Phone. He has a 3560G, a PC, and a 851.

Yep you are right, my post was pretty cluttered. I had thought he was eventually going to get one in, but wanted to fake out the 851 since apparently the product lit says it can support some basic QoS. The 'IP Phone' here is the end station what he is trying to tag with Precedence ToS and DSCP Values to fake out the 851. I could have been more clear but thats what I get for trying to make an all in one QoS post.

I still find it sad that they crippled the 851 like that. You can get a 2621 doing everything (DMVPN, AES192, OSPF, NAT/PAT, RAS VPN, CBWFQ/PQ on a FiOS 20/5 @ 30 percent on the CPU while encrypting an IP phone conference hosting 5 callers) except the wireless for 50 bucks, how lovely. I just checked an 871 (c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-22.T.bin) and was able to set up a quick class and policy map, and give it priority. Looking at the images for the 851 (c850-advsecurityk9-mz.124-15.T8.bin) you would think some of the same features were available. I don't have one, I can't check. Must be the ip in the file name. I thought the image features were the 'k9-mz' part of the filename, but haven't looked it up in ages.

My asa 5505 is crippled unless I want to buy an upgrade license, this must be some new thing. I thought that Failover and Physical interface count were the limiting factors. I have an 871, but it has no PoE for my IP Phone. I just cant win.
It's very important that my office extension is available with all features like hosting conferences. It's the easiest way to sham it and work in your PJ's. My home office chair is more comfortable, nobody can hear the difference. :)

The IP Phone in a Perfect World example using the Queuing was more of a general outbound QoS situation in one of the trickier situations with end to end priority.

I didn't even cover pulling inbound traffic off the wan circuit, marking it up and sending it out to beat up all the other ethernet frames in the layer 2 switch yard. :(

e: Added part to ios images.

Herv fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 11, 2009

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea. I'm not to familiar with setting up QoS for an IP Phone via the 851. Also I don't KNOW that it supports QoS, but I assume it does because of all the literature.

The 851 does have some options as far as QoS is concerned, but all the commands are different. I'm not sure how to setup PQ because none of the standard commands work to enable it.

Also ironically enough, when I googled for 851 QoS, it brought me to this thread on page 3, where I'm asking the same question. With my better experience and overall knowledge I'm able to understand better the solutions that were presented to me, or rather understand why they won't work on my router.

I wonder if I could talk to one of my IOS programmer buddies and get him to compile me a special advanced IP services 851 image, it would be trivial to do since the 851 and 871 are basically the same...probably a pipe dream.

Anyway, I think I'm going to adopt this as a long(er) term project. Because I know its possible to do somehow, but the device is so small scale that none of the technical aptitude at Cisco has much interest in it. So I'll be mostly on my own....

Also the K9-mz has to do with basic security features. The IOS I need is an "Advanced ip services" image. That image contains all the fun stuff like IPV6 routing, ISIS, BGP, EIGRP, OSPF, QOS etc. Basically if you are doing any kind of ISP interaction that is beyond a simple point to point or static route you probably need Advanced IP Services. Advanced Enterprise Services would work as well.

e: I wonder if I could find a "voice" image for this thing, and if that would have the QoS stuff that I need...hmm.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 11, 2009

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Oh cool, thanks I didn't know that.

Here's a quick and dirty PQ setup, and it will do what you need on the uplink to push ahead of any BT or otherwise unspecified traffic.

interface Serial3/0
ip address 151.204.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.252
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
ip nbar protocol-discovery
ip route-cache flow
priority-group 1

access-list 120 permit <my important data e.g. TCP> any any eq <my important port>

priority-list 1 protocol ip high list 120

I usually max the memory on everything, makes it safe to deepen the queues.
priority-list 1 queue-limit 32767 32767 32767 32767

Each queue will hold 32k packets, if you have enough packet memory.

One warning of course is that traffic in a lower queue will not go out until a higher queue is empty. You can/will drop traffic if you try to queue more than the max 32k packets, the show commands will see if it is happening. I didn't make the product, I only use it.

Hope it works!

e: I just have normal access to images, and couldn't find anything but the same advanced services in 12.4 or 12.3. The old IOS image site just lists one image set for the 851.

By standard commands, I figured you were talking about the lack of CBWFQ commands from before.

Herv fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 11, 2009

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Powercrazy posted:

Also ironically enough, when I googled for 851 QoS, it brought me to this thread on page 3, where I'm asking the same question. With my better experience and overall knowledge I'm able to understand better the solutions that were presented to me, or rather understand why they won't work on my router.

Jesus, and yeah I answered back then too, early 07, this thread really is toddler age now. Sorry for pushing the PQ on yah 2 times. :)

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

Yea. I'm not to familiar with setting up QoS for an IP Phone via the 851. Also I don't KNOW that it supports QoS, but I assume it does because of all the literature.

The 851 does have some options as far as QoS is concerned, but all the commands are different. I'm not sure how to setup PQ because none of the standard commands work to enable it.
Yeah, sadly, you're basically out of luck with the 851.

Powercrazy posted:

Also ironically enough, when I googled for 851 QoS, it brought me to this thread on page 3, where I'm asking the same question.
Happened to me the other day too, for something I can't remember. I smiled a little bit.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah it's a lot like that.
I'm finally getting around to working towards my CCNA and could use a physical lab over this emulated poo poo. I've looked at https://www.ciscokits.com and I have an idea of what I'll need. I figured I'd check in here and see if anyone has any specific recommendations. I'd need a minimal setup; 2 routers, 1 switch (or two).

My biggest concern is cost, naturally I would like to keep it as cheap as I can. I have no problem Ebay shopping and hunting and pecking to pick up the equipment. Any recommendations on equipment?

I already have a 2501 router.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
2 2600 routers and 2 2900 switchs with maybe a 2500 router for a console server is all you need for the CCNA.

But honestly you don't even need that, just use Dynamips or something. The CCNA can be passed even without even passing the sims.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Powercrazy posted:

2 2600 routers and 2 2900 switchs with maybe a 2500 router for a console server is all you need for the CCNA.

But honestly you don't even need that, just use Dynamips or something. The CCNA can be passed even without even passing the sims.

This isn't true anymore. The new CCNA exam is a bit tougher then it was before, and if you can't do labs, you will fail. I just took it a couple weeks ago, and there were multiple lab questions where you have to find out what is wrong and setup/fix routing.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
How do you guys work your vlans in regards to servers? Do you have dedicated server vlan(s)? Do you let your server talk outside of their vlan unabated or even get out to the internet unabated?

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

InferiorWang posted:

How do you guys work your vlans in regards to servers? Do you have dedicated server vlan(s)? Do you let your server talk outside of their vlan unabated or even get out to the internet unabated?

With the exception of VLANs dedicated to backup and SAN storage, servers are given their own unrestricted VLAN that is routable by most internal devices.

This is of course for truly internal servers, ones living in a DMZ and public-facing have their access severely restricted inbound/outbound. We typically have the gateway for the DMZ'd servers' VLAN residing on a firewall for more granular control.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

InferiorWang posted:

Multiple server zones (production, dev, dmz, etc etc etc) all with their own vlans and FWSM controlling access between each.

Default rule is all is denied inbound and outbound unless permitted.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

routenull0 posted:

Multiple server zones (production, dev, dmz, etc etc etc) all with their own vlans and FWSM controlling access between each.

Default rule is all is denied inbound and outbound unless permitted.

Do you do pVLAN's on each of the VLAN's?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Boner Wad posted:

Do you do pVLAN's on each of the VLAN's?

No, hosts in the vlan can talk to each other if the hosts themselves allow it via iptables or the like.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Whats the point of Vlans? Just run layer 3 everywhere.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

Whats the point of Vlans? Just run layer 3 everywhere.

What?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

InferiorWang posted:

What?

I was confused as well.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

What's to not understand?
code:
interface gi 0/0
  vlan disable
  layer 3 enable mode everywhere
  end
copy run start

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

bort posted:

code:
interface gi 0/0
  vlan disable
  end
copy run start

Awesome. My network is much faster now. I should probably run layer 3 on my VWICs too.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

bort posted:

code:
interface gi 0/0
  vlan disable
  end
copy run start

Wow, I guess that is one way to put it.

e: Meh.

Herv fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 12, 2009

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

InferiorWang posted:

What?

haha

Well as I think about it a little more, there are several good reasons to have vlans depending on your topology, so never mind :)

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

bort posted:

code:
interface gi 0/0
  vlan disable
  end
copy run start

Is it possible to propagate that through VTP? Don't want to have to go to every switch if I don't have to.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Using a WLAN 4400 series controller, what's the difference between using a GUEST-LAN WLAN and a normal WLAN? I'm under the impression that for the GUEST-LAN I'll still have to build the ACLs for the VLAN just as I would with a normal WLAN? Is it just a matter of having the web authentication presented?

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

InferiorWang posted:

Using a WLAN 4400 series controller, what's the difference between using a GUEST-LAN WLAN and a normal WLAN? I'm under the impression that for the GUEST-LAN I'll still have to build the ACLs for the VLAN just as I would with a normal WLAN? Is it just a matter of having the web authentication presented?

Guest LAN is for making a cable based webauth.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Hrm, does this look like a memory misconfiguration, bad system (packet) memory, or one of the interfaces has bad memory? I am voting for bad system memory but does anyone else have an idea here?

Router Burn Victim posted:

Feb 16 02:25:40.580: %SYS-2-GETBUF: Bad getbuffer, bytes= 60389 -Process= "IP Input", ipl= 0, pid= 64, -Traceback= 0x604D738C 0x6058643C 0x6083B780 0x6083C684 0x608283A0 0x608299A4 0x60829DBC 0x60829E3C 0x6082A040

The unit has 256mb of memory, with 20 percent to packet memory.

Here's the show mem:

Router Burn Victim posted:

3660-3#sh memory statistics
Head Total(b) Used(b) Free(b) Lowest(b) Largest(b)
Processor 65B16320 119446752 22598416 96848336 95678856 94638092
I/O CD00000 53477376 2815768 50661608 50500448 50233148

History of this 3660 was a serious building cooling system failure. Was 130 F in the telco room we were told. I told the boss all bets are off on this unit 6 months ago when it happened. The unit was put together from spare parts 6 years ago and had uptimes of over a year here and there. What a way to die for the old soldier. :smith:

I already started hoarding the parts for a new one, but hey there might not be anything wrong with the existing router and I am just a dumbass.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Herv posted:

Hrm, does this look like a memory misconfiguration, bad system (packet) memory, or one of the interfaces has bad memory? I am voting for bad system memory but does anyone else have an idea here?

The unit has 256mb of memory, with 20 percent to packet memory.

Here's the show mem:

History of this 3660 was a serious building cooling system failure. Was 130 F in the telco room we were told. I told the boss all bets are off on this unit 6 months ago when it happened. The unit was put together from spare parts 6 years ago and had uptimes of over a year here and there. What a way to die for the old soldier. :smith:

I already started hoarding the parts for a new one, but hey there might not be anything wrong with the existing router and I am just a dumbass.

I wouldn't hold a door open with a 3660 router. We deployed so many that went bad, that Cisco ended up buying them back from us when they admitted the platform was terrible.

code:
1.  %SYS-2-GETBUF:   Bad getbuffer, bytes= [dec]

The software has requested a buffer that is larger in size than the largest configured buffer size, or the software has requested a sized buffer with a size less than zero.

Recommended Action: Check the minimum memory requirements for your system configuration. If your system meets those requirements, this message is probably caused by a software failure. To take advantage of recent fixes, upgrade your system to the latest Cisco IOS software release in your release train. If the problem persists, copy the error message text exactly as it appears on the console or in the system log, enter the show log and show tech-support commands, contact your Cisco technical support representative, and provide the representative with the gathered information.

Related documents- No specific documents apply to this error message.
2. %SYS-2-GETBUFFFAIL: [chars] buffer allocation ([dec] bytes) failed from [hex]

An operation could not be accomplished because of a low memory condition. The router memory has been exhausted or fragmented. This condition may be caused by the current system configuration, the network environment, or a software error.

Recommended Action: Check the minimum memory requirements for your system configuration. If your system meets those requirements, this message is probably caused by a software failure. To take advantage of recent fixes, upgrade your system to the latest Cisco IOS software release in your release train. If the problem persists, copy the error message text exactly as it appears on the console or in the system log, enter the show tech-support, show log, show process memory and show memory summary commands, contact your Cisco technical support representative, and provide the representative with the gathered information.

Related documents- No specific documents apply to this error message. 
What version of code?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

routenull0 posted:

I wouldn't hold a door open with a 3660 router. We deployed so many that went bad, that Cisco ended up buying them back from us when they admitted the platform was terrible.

What version of code?

Its running a pretty recent version of 12.4

3660-3#sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, 3600 Software (C3660-JK9O3S-M), Version 12.4(15)T8, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Now I really want to dump that sucker.

Thanks

Oh do you have a link to that documentation in case i have to poke around some more?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Herv posted:

Its running a pretty recent version of 12.4

3660-3#sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, 3600 Software (C3660-JK9O3S-M), Version 12.4(15)T8, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Now I really want to dump that sucker.

Thanks

Oh do you have a link to that documentation in case i have to poke around some more?

I just dumped your error out put in the tool on cisco's site, just login with your CCO.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

routenull0 posted:

I just dumped your error out put in the tool on cisco's site, just login with your CCO.

Cool thanks, I am missing a good amount of things like that. Gotta try to get onboard again.

Thinking about it, I guess the only way you will get a good 3660 is if you use all known good parts hehe.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Herv posted:

Have you seen similar behavior outside the T train? T train is the pain train.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

jwh posted:

You know I haven't seen this with another image. I think it's been in for a few months though. The problems have shown up rather recently.

I looked in the tftp server and this was up there, looks to be recent. I slapped it into the poor thing, let's see how the week goes!

3660-3#sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, 3600 Software (C3660-JK9O3S-M), Version 12.4(23), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Compiled Sun 09-Nov-08 00:28 by prod_rel_team

In the area of memory management here's the split:

Cisco 3660 (R527x) processor (revision 1.0) with 209920K/52224K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID JAB042088J1
R527x CPU at 225MHz, Implementation 40, Rev 10.0, 2048KB L2 Cache

The image calls for 128mb, and theres just under 52mb for packet memory so I would think I am not blowing out the router queues.

Thanks for the suggestion, I was figuring it was hardware related considering the serious cooking it took, but hey who knows!

Stay tuned packet slinging fans.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
My wife sent this to me on Valentines day and I laughed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pffeMdDSoY

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Paul Boz_ posted:

My wife sent this to me on Valentines day and I laughed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pffeMdDSoY

That's funny.

Does anyone know of ASR9000s in production? I haven't heard anything, even on the lists. But then again, I don't typically deal with anything larger than a 6500.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

jwh posted:

12.4(15)T8 is allegedly decent, at least compared to other 12.4T's- It's 12.5. I'm surprized a 3600 can run that at all. 3620 ended at 12.3, 3640 at 12.4, and looks like 3660 at 12.5.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

jwh posted:

That's funny.

Does anyone know of ASR9000s in production? I haven't heard anything, even on the lists. But then again, I don't typically deal with anything larger than a 6500.

They only just launched and I'm sure FCS is missing all sorts of features people want (like channelized SONET cards which are still missing from the other ASRs afaik).

Our 7600s should finally start to shape up into being nice channelized DS1 boxes once SRD comes out with some PPP fixes we've been waiting on (think it's coming out in the next 2 weeks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

falz posted:

12.4(15)T8 is allegedly decent, at least compared to other 12.4T's- It's 12.5. I'm surprized a 3600 can run that at all. 3620 ended at 12.3, 3640 at 12.4, and looks like 3660 at 12.5.

This scares me.