Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

ManoliIsFat posted:

Once you get what's going on and you can really start to hear the whole frequency range of the instrument, you'll want to do it by feeling much more than "oh i know a I should cut this at 300hz"

Currently I make a nice peak and find which part makes everything the worst possible and cut the poo poo out of that. I just like knowing how eq's and overtones interact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Anyone here experienced with the dB Audioware Sidechain Compressor?

I'm trying to use it in Reaper but when I sidechain the kick to the bassline, the kick starts hitting slightly after the beat rather than on it, which completely ruins it.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Prize Winner posted:

Anyone here experienced with the dB Audioware Sidechain Compressor?

I'm trying to use it in Reaper but when I sidechain the kick to the bassline, the kick starts hitting slightly after the beat rather than on it, which completely ruins it.

are you putting the compressor on the kick track or the bass track?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Hows your cpu meter?

Have you tried to recreate it, isolated in a new file with new sounds? if not, give that a go. If ou have any other software available try it in that too, you can then work out if it's a problem with the plugin itself or how its set up.
I know i've seen it before where putting a vst effect on delays the start of the original sound but I cant remember what happened with it, it was a while ago. was some free multi fx one.

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental
Some VSTs have latency issues, such as spectral EQs and a few of the convo reverbs. Have you tried it with a different compressor? You don't need a massive CPU-intensive analog compressor emultion if all you're doing is sidechaining a kick. Reaper has a ton of routing features so I seriously doubt you need something like the db plugin which has that proprietary "universal sidechain" thing on it.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

oredun posted:

are you putting the compressor on the kick track or the bass track?

dB Sidechain goes on both, you set the triggering signal to 'send' (A,B,C etc) and the one you want ducked to 'recieve' (and the same letter as the trigger)

Not using up too much CPU at the moment and I do get the same problem with an audio kick (ie not using a sampler) sidechained to a straight saw wave.

Meatsplosion has a point, I was using the dB plug mostly out of laziness so I'm going to set it up with ReaComp instead and see if that solves the problem. I found a guide on the Reaper forum and it looks just as easy to do and only needs one instance of the compressor.

Thanks for the help guys, seems like there's a lot of knowledge round here so I'll ask about another problem I've got:
When I use the ASIO driver for my soundcard (M-Audio Audiophile 2496 if that helps) everything is incredibly loud. I have to turn the volume in Reaper/Reason to about -20 dB for it to be at a listenable level. Then I have to turn it back up to 0 when I want to bounce stuff. Is there any way to turn it down so I can just leave it at 0dB?

I'm pretty new to this if you hadn't guessed :v:

EDIT: Tried it with ReaComp, works perfectly, just as easy to set up. Here's how to do it for anyone that's interested.

im a girl btw fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 15, 2009

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
Hey guys, I have a dilemma.

I've been messing around on my friends' computers a lot, and producing tracks. Here's the problem:

I love Logic's plugins (including both synths and effects) but I haven't gotten used to its interface. I feel much better working with Ableton's interface, but none of Ableton's plugins have inspired me at all. What should I do? I guess the plugins are irreplaceable, so should I just work with Logic until I get the interface? It can't be that bad.

Cosmonauticus
Feb 5, 2007

by Peatpot
I was wondering if there is a cheap ($300 at the most preferably about $150) and effective way to make my laptop out-put to an amp and not sound like poo poo?

Votlook posted:

So I made this crappy happy acid/drum'n'bass thing in FL, check it out if you want to: http://www.sendspace.com/file/otj2kt

That ad for sex with "real" men between the clicking the link and downloading was awesome. Thanks sendspace!

Cosmonauticus fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 15, 2009

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Cosmonauticus posted:

I was wondering if there is a cheap ($300 at the most preferably about $150) and effective way to make my laptop out-put to an amp and not sound like poo poo?

That add for sex with "real" men between the clicking the link and downloading was awesome. Thanks sendspace!

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Native-Instruments-GUITAR-RIG-Session-FULL?sku=703278

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Altoidss posted:

I've been messing around on my friends' computers a lot, and producing tracks. Here's the problem:

I love Logic's plugins (including both synths and effects) but I haven't gotten used to its interface. I feel much better working with Ableton's interface, but none of Ableton's plugins have inspired me at all. What should I do? I guess the plugins are irreplaceable, so should I just work with Logic until I get the interface? It can't be that bad.

You can ReWire Logic into Live, letting you use the devices of Logic with the interface of Live.

Launch Live then launch Logic.

Afterbirth Tycoon
Dec 19, 2008
Thanks Yoozer for the amazing tip! Gonna try it out right now...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Altoidss posted:

I think you should give logics a try and get used to it. I know everyone here loves ableton, and I'd agree that for PC its probably the best daw with the best interface, but logic 8 is better if you're on a mac. If you're talking about a lower version than logic 8 though I would say go with kai was takens suggestion and rewire it.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

Kai was taken posted:

You can ReWire Logic into Live, letting you use the devices of Logic with the interface of Live.

There's no way I can afford to get both, and I'm not going to pirate a DAW.

So yeah, I'd be getting Logic 8.

Also, I want to eventually move into producing for bands, and non-dance music stuff. I feel like Logic would be way better for that kind of thing than Ableton. Is that correct?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Altoidss posted:

There's no way I can afford to get both, and I'm not going to pirate a DAW.

So yeah, I'd be getting Logic 8.

Also, I want to eventually move into producing for bands, and non-dance music stuff. I feel like Logic would be way better for that kind of thing than Ableton. Is that correct?

For traditional recording, yeah, you'd probably be better off with Logic. Live isn't really intended for recording bands and such - it's definitely aimed squarely at the electronic and hip-hop producer.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Logic really isn't bad. I mean, I wouldn't take it over Live, but if Live wasn't an option, it'd be what I'd be using.

Cyne posted:

For traditional recording, yeah, you'd probably be better off with Logic. Live isn't really intended for recording bands and such - it's definitely aimed squarely at the electronic and hip-hop producer.

This is wrong. I've never had any issues with multitrack recording under Live.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Kai was taken posted:

This is wrong. I've never had any issues with multitrack recording under Live.

Well, if you already have Live and want to do some recording, sure, it's functional, but I don't know many people who have bought it with that purpose in mind.

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Kai was taken posted:

This is good, just remember to save the Logic and Live set in the same folder.

BUT I did just read you don't have the cash flow to pull this off.

So I'd go with Logic. Learning new sequencing can be done with a book purchase. Getting the quality of instruments and synths included in Logic with Live will be a whole other purchase entirely.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mannie Fresh posted:

This is good, just remember to save the Logic and Live set in the same folder

I don't know if it's different with Logic, but I ReWired Reason into Live, and they were only sharing the /Applications folder.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I still stand by my original post: Use the software that you feel like you can work the best in.

Instruments can be faked, or "close enough's" are available as plugins. The fact is, that if you're feeling like you're fighting with your software to create anything, it doesn't matter if you've got a terabyte of plugins for it.

I'm not saying you should just be like WELL TIME TO USE WHATS EASIEST. If a software suite is intriguing, learn how to use it. If you feel it's well laid out, you like the way it works, you can work well on it, go for it.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

Kai was taken posted:

I still stand by my original post: Use the software that you feel like you can work the best in.

Instruments can be faked, or "close enough's" are available as plugins. The fact is, that if you're feeling like you're fighting with your software to create anything, it doesn't matter if you've got a terabyte of plugins for it.

I'm not saying you should just be like WELL TIME TO USE WHATS EASIEST. If a software suite is intriguing, learn how to use it. If you feel it's well laid out, you like the way it works, you can work well on it, go for it.

Yeah, the thing is, the reason I'm not as good with Logic might just be that I'm not familiar with it yet.

It's just that the synths and effects inspire me way more than Ableton's stuff. I hate Ableton's stock effects and synths.

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 16, 2009

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Kai was taken posted:

I don't know if it's different with Logic, but I ReWired Reason into Live, and they were only sharing the /Applications folder.

OH I just meant when working on a project with rewire when you save it, save both program files (the .als and .rns files if you were using Live and Reason) into the same folder.

(ala Save the Live set into a folder, then save the Logic set into the same folder).

When I worked with Reason and Live it's how I kept it all neat and organized.

Also, I will agree with Kai, if you're working with Live, stick with it, it's sequencing is so much more intuitive to me. That's Coming from someone who's used every major software DAW/Sequencer but Cubase and Sonar to make music. BUT be prepared if you want the same quality of instruments and effects as Logic to drop some additional money.

Mannie Fresh fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 16, 2009

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I love ableton, but I've also spent about £600 on synths. It would be poo poo without these and I would have serious trouble making the quality I get from free plugins - I didnt even get any synths with ableton.

If you can factor that into your budget, i'd go to ableton. If you cant, go logic (I dont know how much it is...)

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

If you go with Live I'd at least purchase Operator and/or Analog at the same time. I have a lot of experience working with Operator and can definitely vouch for its quality. I've only tried out Analog briefly, but from that time I would still feel comfortable recommending it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

I love ableton, but I've also spent about £600 on synths. It would be poo poo without these and I would have serious trouble making the quality I get from free plugins - I didnt even get any synths with ableton.

If you can factor that into your budget, i'd go to ableton. If you cant, go logic (I dont know how much it is...)

Logic Studio is £300 from the apple store.

Kai what parts of Ableton do you like over Logic 8 by the way?

Stux fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 16, 2009

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Ah, haha.

In other news, i'm having a few problems finishing a track :(
Its the final one of a series of 4, which go from fairly hard techno down to proper low key minimal, and i'm having doubts with the minimal one. Going down the minus/cocoon road with this one.

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/bldp

I dont know if that's enough, it still feels a bit sparse on some listens, then others it feels full. I just dont know anymore.
Any suggestions/ideas where to take it, or what to scrap/add? Should I just move on?
I find minimal second only to ambient in the 'pain in the arse to finish tracks' camp, but I cant stop....

Mixing is mostly there, still unfinished but if you have comments on that i'd like to hear them. :)

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 17, 2009

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
Anyone care to guess at what synthesizer(s) J00F uses? Particularly for his mid-bass.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=73739234

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Last time I checked, you could get Logic for like $150 if you were a student, but I was calling for a University seat so that might be just for the institution itself.

Stux posted:

Logic Studio is £300 from the apple store.

Kai what parts of Ableton do you like over Logic 8 by the way?

Really, just the interface.

And not like OMG PRETTY, but I like how it's so clean, how everything is always visible (like your device chains and instruments). I like that it's all contained within one window, instead of spread out over multiple windows overlapping each other. It's like it replaced the traditional software layout with a HUD instead. I also like the fact that everything can be done in real-time. It drives me insane when I can't start recording while things are already happening (a few software suites fixed this, though). I also like how the onboard devices are really flexible. Not as "powerful" as some plugs, no, but they're a lot more horizontal than most (Operator, Sampler). Yeah, there are other plugs that do similar things, but because of how they're integrated with the UI, it makes things cleaner and smoother. The MIDI support is really smooth too, and also the way (in Live 8) how they're handling mapping plugin parameters to controllers or automation.

The interface affects the workflow, though. I'm fast as lightning editing things (especially with the stretchable timeline). I like just hitting tab to switch windows around. I like that I don't feel constricted, even if I'm just working on my 15" laptop monitor and touchpad.

Live has its downfalls (just like everything else)--in order to keep the interface smooth, some of the onboard devices (like Sampler) have a weird-rear end way of showing information when you're trying to program them out. It could also use multi-monitor support for the multitrack and mixer view.

Live isn't going to give you a better final product than Logic, but the same is true for anything you use. As long as you're not using a horribly gimped piece of software, your end product is going to be (for all intents and purposes) identical on any platform.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 17, 2009

MrPeanut
Mar 11, 2005

My word!
Has anyone had any experience with either of these books?

Dance Music Manual: Second Edition
http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Music-Manual-Second-techniques/dp/0240521072/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234843668&sr=1-14

260 Drum Machine Patterns
http://www.amazon.com/Drum-Machine-Patterns-Leonard-Corp/dp/0881888877/ref=pd_sim_b_2

I really want to get into composing the trance/psy-trance genre of music, but I feel so overwhelmed by Live's number of instruments (let alone throwing plug-ins into the mix) that I don't really know where to begin. I feel like these books would be a good way to not only get the basics of creating dance music, but also provide me with some basic Drum Machine beats to expand off of in the beginning.

Also if anyone has another book to recommend I'm all for it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kai was taken posted:

Last time I checked, you could get Logic for like $150 if you were a student, but I was calling for a University seat so that might be just for the institution itself.

Yeah you get a big discount if you're ordering from inside certain campuses. Also there is a smaller discount for just being in education but you need to send proof (digital photo of my id emailed was enough)

quote:

Really, just the interface.

And not like OMG PRETTY, but I like how it's so clean, how everything is always visible (like your device chains and instruments). I like that it's all contained within one window, instead of spread out over multiple windows overlapping each other.

Logic is all one window as well though :crossarms:

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Stux posted:

Logic is all one window as well though :crossarms:

I'm one of the biggest logic fanboys you'll meet and even I can't admit this. I cycle through windows like crazy.

Also, something I've been playing around with on my day off in Logic, I don't have a specific genre I just know it's in Em at 118 BPM...

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

MrPeanut posted:

260 Drum Machine Patterns
http://www.amazon.com/Drum-Machine-Patterns-Leonard-Corp/dp/0881888877/ref=pd_sim_b_2

I've actually got this on order at the bookstore that I work at, as well as the older version (200 Drum Machine Patterns, which is supposedly different, but luckily I can send anything back if I don't want it) so I'll let you know how it turns out. Yeah, one of my biggest problems is that I really don't fully understand how percussion works, so a lot of my drum patterns are kinda boring.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Deific Presence posted:

Yeah, one of my biggest problems is that I really don't fully understand how percussion works, so a lot of my drum patterns are kinda boring.

Well, you can always make trance. :fry:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Kai was taken posted:

Well, you can always make trance. :fry:

Oh no you din't

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Are there an alternatives to Audacity and Bias Peak when it comes to audio editing on the Mac? I really can't stand either of them.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

moron posted:

Are there an alternatives to Audacity and Bias Peak when it comes to audio editing on the Mac? I really can't stand either of them.

Fission - http://www.rogueamoeba.com/fission/
TwistedWave - http://twistedwave.com/
Sound Studio - http://www.freeverse.com/apps/app/?id=5012

All shareware. I use WavePad personally, which is free.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mannie Fresh posted:

I'm one of the biggest logic fanboys you'll meet and even I can't admit this. I cycle through windows like crazy.

Also, something I've been playing around with on my day off in Logic, I don't have a specific genre I just know it's in Em at 118 BPM...

Why bro, you dont even need to bring the mixer up anymore, its all there in the arrange page.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

cubicle gangster posted:

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/bldp

Anyone got any comments? Going to have another go over in an hour and see what I can tidy/finish off.

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Stux posted:

Why bro, you dont even need to bring the mixer up anymore, its all there in the arrange page.

I'm insane and need to see all the faders in front while I mix.

BUT it is very streamlined compared to other DAWs in my opinion.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

MrPeanut posted:

Dance Music Manual: Second Edition
http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Music-Manual-Second-techniques/dp/0240521072/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234843668&sr=1-14

I have this and it's great. I don't know your level of knowledge, but mine's pretty limited right now and reading this is doing a great job of teaching me a lot of new things.
It's pretty in-depth too, so not just shallow information that doesn't get you anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Rivfader posted:

I have this and it's great. I don't know your level of knowledge, but mine's pretty limited right now and reading this is doing a great job of teaching me a lot of new things.
It's pretty in-depth too, so not just shallow information that doesn't get you anywhere.

I second this. I have it too. I'm learning how to use synths right now and it's helping out.

I play with this synth called noise.io (iPhone) before I fall asleep.

• Locked thread