Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Trintintin posted:

The reason you don't see sport bikes with 50k+ miles on them very much is because for most people they are not commuter vehicles, just toys.

That and most of them wind up wadded up well before 50K. I do know of a guy with over 100K on an F4i though.

There are plenty of guys on the Bandit forums with over 100K on their bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Phat_Albert posted:

What? This doesnt even make sense. Since when are BMW's the only bike that can do high mileage? Since when is 40K the end?

The typical 50k mile BMW is worth much more money the typical 50k mile Honda (Goldwings excepted). Doing $1200 worth of maintenance/repairs on a bike that old is generally worth it for most BMW owners, not so much for other people.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Except a well-cared for high mileage Honda probably wont need any maintenance/repairs :nyd:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Unless it's a 70's/80's CB750 and the starter chain breaks at 40k miles, requiring a full engine teardown.

For all of Honda's LEGENDARY RELIABILITY, I sure don't see a lot of high mileage examples(again, Goldwings excepted).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes all Hondas are poo poo because 80's 750s had CAM CHAIN issues.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I think it was virtually every Honda made for 20+ years that had cam chain tensioner issues. They'd essentially fail after 5k miles like clockwork and you'd have a really nice noisy engine. The one bike that I was aware of that it caused a real problem with is the VTR1000 Superhawk. The big twin puts enough stress on the chains that if you don't swap out the tensioners at around 20k you will end up breaking your cam chain.

I do think you can look at a motorcycle as a money saver if you get a bit creative. Having a bike that hauls as much rear end as a much more expensive sportscar saves me a lot of money on the car that I own. It's not a real big deal to own a slow older car when I can hop on a shiny newer motorcycle that I only paid $4k for. I'm far too lazy to do the math, I would imagine the cost of running a sportbike vs. running a newer sportscar things look a bit different. An apples to oranges comparison of a civic vs. a R6 really isn't fair. Compare an R6 to say a 350z or something along those lines is more accurate.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I was only aware of the 79-84 range of CB/CX/VF bikes that had tensioner issues, and they fixed that in the later VFs and the CB1100F, which had an aluminum tensioner.

I think the problem is made larger by the fact that older hondas tend to be a bit of a pain to do routine maintenance on (valve shimming and such), and so people lean back on the excuse that the engine was designed faultily when they never bothered to check clearances or to adjust chain tension. Sure, the tensioners fail, but I think people are lazy about maintenance at least as often, which accelerates the failure.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MrKatharsis posted:

Unless it's a 70's/80's CB750 and the starter chain breaks at 40k miles, requiring a full engine teardown.

For all of Honda's LEGENDARY RELIABILITY, I sure don't see a lot of high mileage examples(again, Goldwings excepted).

Define "high mileage". My 929 had 50k on it when I sold it, and it still ran like a top. Valves only needed adjustment roughly every 2 intervals, which means that they were adjusted at 16k, and they were still good at 45 when I checked them. They probably would have gone to 65k+ easily. I've seen a number of 600RRs over 50k, and F4is with the same. VFRs as well...

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Again, Phat Albert's wild exaggerations aside, my original point is that Hondas depreciate to the point where it's simply not economical to do valve checks/fork fluid replacement/rewiring/et cetera when they could just go buy another bike that doesn't need to be cared for like an alzheimer's ridden relative.

Buying a new/less used bike then becomes the preferable choice for the vast majority of riders, which nobody factored in to the massively anecdotal discussion of bike costs vs. car costs.

Bringing up LEGENDARY RELIABILITY was just a moderately successful troll.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MrKatharsis posted:

Again, Phat Albert's wild exaggerations aside

MrKatharsis posted:

bike that doesn't need to be cared for like an alzheimer's ridden relative.

If you can find one production model of Japanese bike made in the last 25 years that has been cared for and not beaten into the ground that needs the above mentioned level of maintenance I'll concede the argument.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Phat_Albert posted:

high mileage Honda probably wont need any maintenance :nyd:

:nyd:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Hahaha, :wtc: : http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/mcy/1040761737.html

Guy asking $1000 for a set of Harley leathers. Mind you, 1k for a lovely vest, lovely chaps, and a lovely jacket, none of which are armored/waterproof/worth a good goddamn.

Oh, and a used helmet :downs:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MrKatharsis posted:

:nyd:

Right, a well-cared for example probably wont need any maintenance, let alone "need to be cared for like an alzheimer's ridden relative".

Cycle Asylum: RELIABILITY ARGUMENTS

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

If you can find one production model of Japanese bike made in the last 25 years that has been cared for and not beaten into the ground that needs the above mentioned level of maintenance I'll concede the argument.

my old 93 vfr?
Although, technically speaking, I did actually beat it literally into the ground.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Hahaha, :wtc: : http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/mcy/1040761737.html

Guy asking $1000 for a set of Harley leathers. Mind you, 1k for a lovely vest, lovely chaps, and a lovely jacket, none of which are armored/waterproof/worth a good goddamn.

Oh, and a used helmet :downs:

Oh, some mouth breathing retard will pay that...because they're 2k from the dealership. :rolleyes:

Phat_Albert posted:

Right, a well-cared for example probably wont need any maintenance, let alone "need to be cared for like an alzheimer's ridden relative".

Cycle Asylum: RELIABILITY ARGUMENTS

How does Alzheimer's ride people anyways?

Let's take the CB200 for an example:

Found in a dumpster, not running. Pulled off all of the extraneous crap (e-start, etc). Changed the oil. Cleaned the carbs up, didn't replace anything.

Some new plugs, oil down the cylinders, kick it through a few times, and one good kick, and it started right up. It's been running for around 5k, now, no maintenence, learner bike for 5 people, used as an offroad beater, on road beater, I abused the poo poo out of it, my g/f took it to max speed (65mph, :woop:) and held it there on freeway trips.

So...my experience is, if you see something with a Honda badge in a dumpster, it's probably worth picking up.

The thing about the older Japanese bikes is they're hilariously overbuilt. They understood the basics behind building a motorcycle, but the major stuff got industrial strength components to avoid any reliability issues, and what you end up with is a bike that doesn't have a electrical system worth a drat but as long as you can get spark to the cylinders, it'll run until the world ends.

A well cared for example probably would still have the electric start, even. And you wouldn't have bothered to drizzle oil down the cylinders before the first start.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Z3n posted:

The thing about the older Japanese bikes is they're hilariously overbuilt. They understood the basics behind building a motorcycle, but the major stuff got industrial strength components to avoid any reliability issues, and what you end up with is a bike that doesn't have a electrical system worth a drat but as long as you can get spark to the cylinders, it'll run until the world ends.

Yes, god yes. There are so many things on my 67' Yamaha that are absurdly overbuilt. Take for example the generator cover. Its a lightweight aluminum cover that sits over the points/generator and drive sprocket. A few bolts would be fine to hold this on.

No sir, says Mr. Japanese motorcycle designer, circa 1963. Nothing less than 9 stainless steel screws, each around 5cm long, would be fit to fix such a critical item to the bike. We also can't take a chance on all 9 screws possibly coming loose at the same time so we'll use a locking washer on each one.

Its a completely different era but my 67' sat in a garage with a full tank of gas for 24 years and it fired right up with a new battery, carb clean, and a temporary fuel tank. Hell I once rode to the store and back after working on the bike and upon pulling it into the garage to investigate a significant lack of power on the ride noticed that I had forgotten to put the right spark plug back in.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Z3n posted:

Oh, some mouth breathing retard will pay that...because they're 2k from the dealership. :rolleyes:

How does Alzheimer's ride people anyways?

Let's take the CB200 for an example:

Found in a dumpster, not running. Pulled off all of the extraneous crap (e-start, etc). Changed the oil. Cleaned the carbs up, didn't replace anything.

Some new plugs, oil down the cylinders, kick it through a few times, and one good kick, and it started right up. It's been running for around 5k, now, no maintenence, learner bike for 5 people, used as an offroad beater, on road beater, I abused the poo poo out of it, my g/f took it to max speed (65mph, :woop:) and held it there on freeway trips.

So...my experience is, if you see something with a Honda badge in a dumpster, it's probably worth picking up.

A well cared for example probably would still have the electric start, even. And you wouldn't have bothered to drizzle oil down the cylinders before the first start.

Yeah, I'm sure he won't have much trouble selling them, I was just laughing that for the same price you could probably pick up a new 1-piece with full armor and supermegafuckofftitanium pucks or something. You crash in that and not only are you out 1k for your ugly poo poo but 50k in medical bills for a 15mph lowslide.

And as far as Hondas go, I'm a believer. I don't "abuse" my bike by doing things like wheelies/stoppies or attempt to go offroad with it, but I certainly neglect the poo poo out of it (I do kinda feel bad about that :( ) and every spring it starts up with a cough or two and then runs like it did before I put it away. Today I'm running (well, walking :v: ) down to the autoparts store to grab a battery charger since mine got stolen. I will bet cash monays that once she's sat on the charger for a few hours she's going to kick right over and I can take her out tomorrow. Hell, maybe even tonight depending on how long it takes to get the battery up to starting strength. I haven't touched her since I parked her in the driveway for the last time December 13th. And last week there was 4 inches of snow on her since I have no garage and no cover.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

100 Years in Iraq posted:

And as far as Hondas go, I'm a believer.

My first bike was a '98 Honda Shadow ACE 1100 with 48k on the odometer when I bought it. It came with maintenance records showing every service done by the dealer, usually a few dozen miles early. It spent seven months of the first year in the shop due to compression issues, valve issues, airbox issues, electrical issues and random little poo poo snapping off issues. The chrome flaked, the OEM bolts rarely fit the OEM holes and it was in general a (beautiful) piece of poo poo.

In it's defense, the original dealer was LA Cycle Sports (OTD Cyclesports) in Ingelwood CA. I wouldn't be surprised if they hosed it up every time it went in. This is the same shop that needed five attempts to change the head gasket on a Speed Triple. They also lost my bike for a while, so who knows what's going on over there.

I still believe in Honda reliability, but only based on anecdotes from friends. I'm not saying I'd never own one again, but I'd never buy one as a daily rider.

OrangeFurious fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 20, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

OrangeFurious posted:

My first bike was a '98 Honda Shadow ACE 1100 with 48k on the odometer when I bought it. It came with maintenance records showing every service done by the dealer, usually a few dozen miles early. It spent seven months of the first year in the shop due to compression issues, valve issues, airbox issues, electrical issues and random little poo poo snapping off issues. The chrome flaked, the OEM bolts rarely fit the OEM holes and it was in general a (beautiful) piece of poo poo.

In it's defense, the original dealer was LA Cycle Sports (OTD Cyclesports) in Ingelwood CA. I wouldn't be surprised if they hosed it up every time it went in. This is the same shop that needed five attempts to change the head gasket on a Speed Triple. They also lost my bike for a while, so who knows what's going on over there.

I still believe in Honda reliability, but only based on anecdotes from friends. I'm not saying I'd never own one again, but I'd never buy one as a daily rider.

Sounds like you got a lemon...valve issues, compression issues, those aren't something that you should be running into on any bike at 48k from any of the major makers these days. The cosmetic stuff I could just be due to uncaring storage, and the OEM bolts not fitting the OEM holes is something I have never seen in any bikes I've ever worked on, it honestly sounds like the dealership seriously hosed it over. One of those things would throw me off, but the whole laundry list plus the dealership "losing a bike", is just too much.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Mine's an 82. I bought it from the original owner, who put 15k on it before deciding he was getting too old and scared to ride it anymore. I don't know what he did with it, but cosmetically she was in good condition, and the price was cheap ($500). Since then I've put about 8k on it, and I've had it since 2000. Not a lot at all, though the past couple of years I've ridden it every day from spring to fall and it's been my only source of transportation. Wintertime I take the bus.

While not a high-mileage rider I am certainly the poster child for "lovely bike owner." Valves? What are those? Oil change? Oh yeah, I haven't done that in a couple years, I oughtta have the mechanic do that when I take it in for inspection. It's only recently that I've taken an interest in learning all about my bike and how to fix it; I'm still too chicken to do any major work for fear I'll irrevocably gently caress something up. I think once I have my car back up and running I'll be less hesitant to attempt stuff since I'll still have a way to get around if I screw up.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This is my gently caress you Friday. Why? Let me explain.

I'm having serious infatuation issues with newer japanese big bore naked bikes. Let's take a look at 3 prime candidates, all in the :tbear: category.

The Honda CB 1300, gotta be in red and white.

The Yamaha XJR 1300

Then my favourite, the Suzuki GSX 1400, all 106 hp / 126 Nm @ 5000 of it.

For the latter, a 2002 model is available now for $17400. Serious moneys right? So I checked the Brit market, just to see if there was a big difference. Was there ever. A nice 2003 there was listed at $3800 :gonk: There's NO EFFORT AT ALL to import one, I can just ride aboard the ferry, choo choo and be home the next day. But then, according to the calculator on the customs website, I have to pay TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS to the government in taxes. Most of that is for the displacement, a 900 is way less.

So in conclusion gently caress YOU foreign people for getting awesome bikes for nothing, gently caress YOU again because your average pay isn't that much lower than ours and two huge gently caress YOUS to the most tax thirsty government since Attila the Hun.

I'm going to ride my '86 GSX until maglev bikes or teleportation takes over.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Continuing in the vein of rad Hondas.

I had a 75(I think?) XL250, eternally immortalized in my custom title. I bought it from a guy who had tried to do something.....electrically to it. I bought it for $120, complete, but not running, with a title.

I waded through the wiring nightmare he had created, fixed it, installed a shorty chrome muffler on it, slapped some street tires on it, and rode the nuts off it. It was my quasi-supermoto bike. I jumped it off everything I could, wheelied it everywhere, and generally did not treat it nicely. I commuted on it back and forth to work for an entire summer. 60 miles both ways on the freeway with the throttle pinned wide open the entire time. Never skipped a beat, and always ran like a charm.

I wound up selling it for $450, visibly no worse for the wear, and still starting on the first kick every time. I really liked that bike, and if I ever come across another XL250 for a good deal, I'm snapping it up.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Ola posted:

:argh:

I think you could be the first person in history to have a valid reason to make an 11/7. :v:

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Z3n posted:

Sounds like you got a lemon...valve issues, compression issues, those aren't something that you should be running into on any bike at 48k from any of the major makers these days. The cosmetic stuff I could just be due to uncaring storage, and the OEM bolts not fitting the OEM holes is something I have never seen in any bikes I've ever worked on, it honestly sounds like the dealership seriously hosed it over. One of those things would throw me off, but the whole laundry list plus the dealership "losing a bike", is just too much.

My vote is for dealer incompetence more than anything else. I recall hearing a rattle when I picked it up from their first attempt at repairs.

I found a socket wrench in the airbox.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Simkin posted:

I think you could be the first person in history to have a valid reason to make an 11/7. :v:

There's one clever way of avoiding this though. If I could buy a crashed GSX with a sound frame, I could import a Brit GSX and move all the parts over, no such thing as a salvage title here. But I suppose a naked bike won't get totalled unless the frame's bent... but it's an idea.

edit: gently caress I think there's no salvage titles because wrecks can't be re-registered gently caress YOU gently caress YOU

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 20, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

OrangeFurious posted:

My vote is for dealer incompetence more than anything else. I recall hearing a rattle when I picked it up from their first attempt at repairs.

I found a socket wrench in the airbox.

Christ, I'd forgotten about that.

I have left a socket wrench in the airbox of the truck though.

Ola posted:

There's one clever way of avoiding this though. If I could buy a crashed GSX with a sound frame, I could import a Brit GSX and move all the parts over, no such thing as a salvage title here. But I suppose a naked bike won't get totalled unless the frame's bent... but it's an idea.

G/f's Z1000 was totaled without frame damage. It's a possibility...parts are expensive.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

G/f's Z1000 was totaled without frame damage. It's a possibility...parts are expensive.

Hopefully yeah. It's the relativity of expensiveness I'm trying to poke holes in. As seen above, a used GSX 1400 is 2/3rds cheaper in the UK than in Norway. That's a serious amount of money, using a great condition UK bikes as a parts bike might actually pay off. Or not, frustrated research follows.

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 20, 2009

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
So I went and test rode a WR250X today, just for giggles. All I have to say is what a disappointment. Completely anemic. Handling felt pretty good, but the bike was a gutless wonder. Talking to the sales guy, they have had one hell of a time selling them, and I am not surprised. Its a lot of money for something that while fun to play around on, is severely limited in that play by lack of power. Might be better if the thing didn't weigh a ridiculous 300 pounds. Yamaha, put a wr450 motor in there and put the drat thing in a diet, then we can talk.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The manufacturers have to know that what the people want is a 450 supermoto. Why are the (Japanese at least) companies so reluctant to supply one?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

A 400 isn't close enough? :confused:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is a large difference between something like a DRZ-400SM and a CRF450 or RM450. On the order of 30 more hp and a good amount more torque. Which in a small supermoto package is a night and day difference.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Oh.

Since the CRF450 is a 4-stroke, is all the extra power just at the expense of engine longevity?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Simkin posted:

Oh.

Since the CRF450 is a 4-stroke, is all the extra power just at the expense of engine longevity?

Some of it is, the 450's also come with hotter cams, better carbs, more aggressive ignition curves, and lighter components.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I could be that since Husky, KTM, and Aprilia have got such strong supermoto offerings that the Japanese dont think they can get into the market in the 450+ arena. If only I didn't have such a hate/hate relationship with the local KTM/husky dealer, I would go ride some. Fortunately, they lost the Aprilia brand, so I just need to make time to go to the new dealer and ride one.

Edit: Just for comparison, the KTM SMR 450 weighs in at 246 or so pounds, while the Yamaha 250 is dead nuts on 300. WTF is up with that? Where the hell does the yamaha gain 50+ extra pounds, while have a smaller engine?

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 21, 2009

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.

Ola posted:

:emo:

Oh man I've done that to many times myself, both with cars and bikes. I love this country, but come on, let us have some fun :(

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I'm sure that the availability of good lutefisk more than makes up for vehicles costing 2-3x as much as anywhere else, right? :v:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Simkin posted:

I'm sure that the availability of good lutefisk more than makes up for vehicles costing 2-3x as much as anywhere else, right? :v:

I've always wanted to try lutefisk; but alas it's not to be found in Texas.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Sounds like you have an excuse for a ride to Minnesota. Anyway, I'll let the smelly fish clear my vision and see my bike as a fully usable ride for several years to come. I'll stick to googling for cool, high bang-for-buck upgrades

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Sounds like you have an excuse for a ride to Minnesota. Anyway, I'll let the smelly fish clear my vision and see my bike as a fully usable ride for several years to come. I'll stick to googling for cool, high bang-for-buck upgrades

Just think of those amazing roads, and amazing views as being paved with pure money :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

blugu64 posted:

Americans of Norwegian/Swedish heritage eat lutefisk once a year to remind themselves of the reason their ancestors left Scandanavia in the first place.

And being one of those Americans of Scandanavian extraction I have done my lutefisk duty once and from this day forward will accept the ancient viking castration by timberwolf challenge rather that eat it again.

Now, as the Scnadies whine about import duties on the bikes they lust for, they should keep in mind that at least they can get those bikes in Europe. Here in the US, land of the freak and home of the gay, such bikes are unobtanium, the Japanese won't bother with the testing and certifications needed to bring bikes THAT HAVE ALREADY PASSED THE ULTIMATE NANNY STATE TESTING cuz they don't think a fuckoff big standard will sell here. To test that theory they bring us the B-KING and when it doesn't sell becuase it is Japanese analouge of a full-dressed with conchos and everything Harley they'll point their pointy little fingers and say "AH SO! We told you round eye no buy mans bike". And that will be the end of that until the next time.