Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
There's a new version of MPlayer that can play files from network shares and also access internet radio streams.

MplayerCE

It does NOT like to play 720p files. Other stuff plays great, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Does that one support multiple shares? I just managed to play around with Wii homebrew yesterday, and so far everything except the SNES and Genesis emulators has been pretty drat terrible.

Take a look at the current crop of media players, for example. Geexbox has a lovely UI, but that's forgiveable. It allows for browsing of SMB and Windows shares, BUT it can't use the Wii's built-in Wi-Fi, making it almost useless. Then there's the various MPlayers, MPlayerCE has a shittier UI, but can use the Wii's built-in wi-fi. However, I think for now you're only limited to one share, and you have to edit it in a .conf file. Then there's the whole clusterfuck with vanilla MPlayer where you have to specify the specific path to your video in the config file.

I wish I could help, but I don't have the time nor coding experience. The Xbox has spoiled me when it comes to homebrew stuff.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Maxwell Adams posted:

The Wii simply doesn't have the hardware for 720p, It's never going to happen without a hardware update or some programming genius figures out a way to decode video far more efficiently than it is today..

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Has anyone tried the new Visual Boy Advance? The last two updates were pretty drat bad.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Constellation I posted:

Does that one support multiple shares? I just managed to play around with Wii homebrew yesterday, and so far everything except the SNES and Genesis emulators has been pretty drat terrible.

Take a look at the current crop of media players, for example. Geexbox has a lovely UI, but that's forgiveable. It allows for browsing of SMB and Windows shares, BUT it can't use the Wii's built-in Wi-Fi, making it almost useless. Then there's the various MPlayers, MPlayerCE has a shittier UI, but can use the Wii's built-in wi-fi. However, I think for now you're only limited to one share, and you have to edit it in a .conf file. Then there's the whole clusterfuck with vanilla MPlayer where you have to specify the specific path to your video in the config file.

I wish I could help, but I don't have the time nor coding experience. The Xbox has spoiled me when it comes to homebrew stuff.

The newest MPlayerCE is pretty drat nice. The UI is simple and clean, with a half-decent font. It also overlays the video, so you can access the menu and options at any point.

I haven't confirmed yet, but I suspect adding shortcuts or symlinks to a root SMB share would solve the limit on one share.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

scottch posted:

The newest MPlayerCE is pretty drat nice. The UI is simple and clean, with a half-decent font. It also overlays the video, so you can access the menu and options at any point.

I'm pretty sure most newer versions of Mplayer do this.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

FlyingCheese posted:

The Wii simply doesn't have the hardware for 720p, It's never going to happen without a hardware update or some programming genius figures out a way to decode video far more efficiently than it is today..
Even if somebody gets the Wii to decode 720p fast enough (not going to happen), I seem to remember that the Wii doesn't even have a big enough framebuffer to support it.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

torjus posted:

Even if somebody gets the Wii to decode 720p fast enough (not going to happen), I seem to remember that the Wii doesn't even have a big enough framebuffer to support it.

Oh yeah, the framebuffer. That would explain the garbled graphics. I knew it wouldn't be powerful enough to play the file properly, but I wanted to see how bad it would fail. First it started playing the audio, then it locked up, then the graphics got scrambled, then it crashed. It dropped right back into the HBC on crash, though, which is pretty good.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I noticed some people having problems playing PAL games on an NTSC Wii, but has anyone had problems playing Japanese games on an American Wii? I haven't installed the Homebrew Channel yet, but the ability to boot the games directly from the channel menu (and not having to boot into something else first) will decide whether or not I pick up a few Japanese games.

Desrever
Nov 23, 2004

Luisfe posted:

Has anyone tried the new Visual Boy Advance? The last two updates were pretty drat bad.

Have you had it since the new GUI was added? I like it tons more. It runs like the Snes9x/FCE Ultra emulators now.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Desrever posted:

Have you had it since the new GUI was added? I like it tons more. It runs like the Snes9x/FCE Ultra emulators now.

The last version I have used a lot was 1.0.4, 1.0.5 broke saves and 1.0.6 was horribly slow at loading, and it crashed when loading a savestate :(

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Maxwell Adams posted:

There's a new version of MPlayer that can play files from network shares and also access internet radio streams.

MplayerCE

I just tried this out now,

Finally someone put all those lovely versions of Mplayer into one usable program that can do it all. I love it. Thanks Maxwell Adams!

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Agrias120 posted:

I noticed some people having problems playing PAL games on an NTSC Wii, but has anyone had problems playing Japanese games on an American Wii? I haven't installed the Homebrew Channel yet, but the ability to boot the games directly from the channel menu (and not having to boot into something else first) will decide whether or not I pick up a few Japanese games.

I played the "Capcom vs ..." fighting game for the Wii, which is Japanese only, and it played perfectly using homebrew related software. I'm pretty sure you can set it up to read the discs direct from the channel, but I haven't gone into setting that up.

Then again, I don't have problems with PAL games either.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Maxwell Adams posted:

MplayerCE
So does this support softsubs? I'm doing better recently but still miss out on lots of poo poo when watching foreign movies, the Xbox 360 sure doesn't do softsubs at all. I guess better format support is nice too, my TV's an older letterbox CRT so the lack of HD ain't a problem at this moment in time.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
I still can't get any of my Data DVDs to work with that MPlayer, but whatever, perhaps that's something do to the way I organize or something. But that smb stuff is working great, so it's just a minute to drag the files over. Color me pleased Wiibrew community, I achieve a lot onto DVDs and it's nice to get stuff on my TV.

I gather that smb has actually worked for a little while, but the instructions in the read-me were the first time I've seen it explained so cleanly what to do. I guess that's what I find frustrating so far, the wiki and a lot of other sites assume that one knows jargon and what to do way too much. I suppose I'm not the target demographic for soft modding the Nintendo Wii, but it wouldn't hurt for someone to just say "OK, at the end of the day this is what this program does."
OK, rant over

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 17, 2009

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

zandert33 posted:

I played the "Capcom vs ..." fighting game for the Wii, which is Japanese only, and it played perfectly using homebrew related software. I'm pretty sure you can set it up to read the discs direct from the channel, but I haven't gone into setting that up.

Then again, I don't have problems with PAL games either.

What particular homebrew app did you use to play it? I am interested on importing it, but do not know if GeckoOS will work for region-free things, or if I should install Starfall or what.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

WDIIA posted:

I still can't get any of my Data DVDs to work with that MPlayer, but whatever, perhaps that's something do to the way I organize or something.

Hows your Data disc organized? File format? Codec? Container? Is it a multisession disc? Any of these could mess with it.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Luisfe posted:

What particular homebrew app did you use to play it? I am interested on importing it, but do not know if GeckoOS will work for region-free things, or if I should install Starfall or what.

GeckoOS does region free, I've been using it all the time on my PAL Wii.

edit: also finally updated the OP

edit2: haven't had much luck with mplayer ce and smb shares :(

Keito fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 17, 2009

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Keito posted:

edit2: haven't had much luck with mplayer ce and smb shares :(
It won't even startup on mine. I'm guessing it has something to do with my system being on the latest firmware or HBC? It just goes to a black screen and stays there.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

japtor posted:

It won't even startup on mine. I'm guessing it has something to do with my system being on the latest firmware or HBC? It just goes to a black screen and stays there.

That shouldn't be it. I have the latest system update and latest HBC. Does it say anything on the black screen? If it says something like initializing SMB shares, then it's trying to look for the share. I think the MPlayer CE just stuck in his own SMB share settings (under smb.conf I think). If it's that, then just edit the file to your proper shares, and it shouldn't hang anymore.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Constellation I posted:

That shouldn't be it. I have the latest system update and latest HBC. Does it say anything on the black screen? If it says something like initializing SMB shares, then it's trying to look for the share. I think the MPlayer CE just stuck in his own SMB share settings (under smb.conf I think). If it's that, then just edit the file to your proper shares, and it shouldn't hang anymore.

This is exactly it for most people. If you have no shares to connect to, rename the file to _smb.conf or something similar so you can keep a copy if you eventually do set up windows shares.

As far as the completely black screen goes, I haven't seen it at all on mine or my friends Wii. Are you sure everything transferred to the card OK?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
My other guess was the smb.conf, but I didn't think that would cause the completely black screen (system doesn't respond at all, have to turn it off with the system power button). I had it edited for one of my shares but maybe I got something wrong, the share is from a Mac so the path or syntax might be different I guess. I'll mess around with it when I get home.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

japtor posted:

My other guess was the smb.conf, but I didn't think that would cause the completely black screen (system doesn't respond at all, have to turn it off with the system power button). I had it edited for one of my shares but maybe I got something wrong, the share is from a Mac so the path or syntax might be different I guess. I'll mess around with it when I get home.

Try running it without smb and see if that gets the program to run.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
A new version of MPlayer CE is out.

V0.2 Changelog posted:

• SD/USB Mount bugs fixed
  • DVD Mount/Stop/Motor/Pause problems fixed, now mounts, only when you select DVD
  • Network Initialising on startup changed, now connects "hidden" in background.
  • Added 5 SMB Shares, review smb.conf
  • Boot-up speed increased
  • Added files filter to only show audio/video files
  • Same directory kept open when you open/close the menu
  • Menu closes on file load

Hopefully this version will work better with SMB than the first did.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

:siren::siren:DVDX NOW SUPPORTS SYSTEM MENU 3.4:siren::siren:

So now you can install any DVD playing program on even the newest Wii's. Great job Team Twiizers!!

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/DVDx

Edit: HackMii Announcement with more details:
http://hackmii.com/2009/02/dvdx34/

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 20, 2009

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Are there any simple instructions available on how to downgrade your system? I have 3.4u and would like to install some things that do not work. I've spent DAYS searching and trying to find a way to do it, but most of it seems too advanced for me. I heard that the easiest way was to the AnyRegion Changer, but I have no idea how to use it, because the readme gives no information about how to use/apply it.

Can anyone help?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
I thought the only thing that didn't work with 3.4 was the DVD-stuff. If that's the case, then it shouldn't take long now that it's working again.

What doesn't work with 3.4u currently?

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

Luisfe posted:

Works great for me, it seems slightly faster and doesn't have the bugs the previous version had. By the way, if MPlayerCE is really that good this means I can finally retire Geexbox, which is kind of finicky and likes to break. MPlayerCE also plays DVDs if you have DVDx installed, doesn't it?

Ravestory
Jan 28, 2008
Huzzah!
Is there any way to access the shop yet without updating to 3.4?

I know Cave Story is a freeware PC game, but it's such a good game that I want to give Pixel all my money when it comes out on the Wii.

I can't understand the logic of locking people out of legally buying VC games and Wiiware when they either never heard of homebrew or have it and can just pirate anything in the shop anyway.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Ravestory posted:

Is there any way to access the shop yet without updating to 3.4?

Yes:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Shop_and_IOS51_installer

You can update the shop channel using that utility without having to install system menu 3.4 (and you can install IOS51 which the shop channel requires, while patching the fakesigning vulnerability back in if you so desire). I used this recently (tona's single-executable release, to be specific) and I can access the shop fine on firmware 3.2.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Xythar posted:

Yes:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Shop_and_IOS51_installer

You can update the shop channel using that utility without having to install system menu 3.4 (and you can install IOS51 which the shop channel requires, while patching the fakesigning vulnerability back in if you so desire). I used this recently (tona's single-executable release, to be specific) and I can access the shop fine on firmware 3.2.

This should really be in the OP.

fixelbrumpf posted:

Works great for me, it seems slightly faster and doesn't have the bugs the previous version had. By the way, if MPlayerCE is really that good this means I can finally retire Geexbox, which is kind of finicky and likes to break. MPlayerCE also plays DVDs if you have DVDx installed, doesn't it?

Yes it does. It's overall the best media player on the Wii hands down and it seems to be worked on consistently unlike Geexbox and the original DVDLib version.

Edit: Oh hey a new Mplayer_CE version. 0.21

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 20, 2009

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Edit: doublepost, I'm a dumbass.

bogalx
Aug 20, 2005

by XyloJW

solorca posted:

Are there any simple instructions available on how to downgrade your system? I have 3.4u and would like to install some things that do not work. I've spent DAYS searching and trying to find a way to do it, but most of it seems too advanced for me. I heard that the easiest way was to the AnyRegion Changer, but I have no idea how to use it, because the readme gives no information about how to use/apply it.

Can anyone help?

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/CIOS_Downgrader

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

solorca posted:

Can anyone help?

This worked wonderfully for me.

http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials/7199-3-1-3-4-twilight-downgrade-starfall-gammatutorial.html

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

FlyingCheese posted:

This should really be in the OP.
It is, gently caress you Cheese.

FlyingCheese posted:

Yes it does. It's overall the best media player on the Wii hands down and it seems to be worked on consistently unlike Geexbox and the original DVDLib version.
The thing locked up the first time I tried to launch a DVD, possibly because I didn't insert the disc before starting the program, but I think the changelog for ver 2 said something about fixing that. Will recommend it over the twiizer dvdlib port for DVD playback in the OP if it works after testing.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Keito posted:

It is, gently caress you Cheese.

The thing locked up the first time I tried to launch a DVD, possibly because I didn't insert the disc before starting the program, but I think the changelog for ver 2 said something about fixing that. Will recommend it over the twiizer dvdlib port for DVD playback in the OP if it works after testing.

Oops, my bad. I completely missed that.

Bear in mind that DVDX has problems with some anti-copy software on DVD's. Especially newer discs. Could that be the issue you're seeing?

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

This was exactly what I needed. It was simple enough for me to completely understand and it worked perfectly.

Thanks!

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Make sure you don't install Starfall's GC region free hack unless you have a PAL (Europe/Oceania) Wii, or your local GC games will not work. Well, if you have installed it you can just uninstall it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Finally messed with Mplayer CE again (including the new version) tonight...and got nowhere. Made sure the smb.conf settings were right, tried renaming it so it wouldn't load, either way it wouldn't get past a black screen. I also tried ftpii again and that black screened too, so I'm guessing there's something else going wrong. The old old Mplayer Wii still works at least.

I've messed with the DVDX and IOS and stuff before, but no clue if I ever reverted everything back to normal, if that even matters. Is there some default resetter thing or list of default settings somewhere? I want to keep homebrew but reset the IOS/whatever other stuff to defaults as a troubleshooting measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Maybe it's been mentioned before, but I don't remember:

Is there a program for homebrew that can be used to backup Smash Brothers or Mario Kart game saves? I have to get my Wii repaired, and though they said they'd try to back it up, I'd rather be safe then sorry.

• Locked thread