Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verdance
May 9, 2007
Tweak
I'm not usually a fan of this type of music. But I was given

Ed Allyene-Johnson's album Ultraviolet

And would love more things like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zafd0BQ_gM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toupee
Feb 6, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump
Is there something similar to Isis but without vocals, or at least without growls?

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

Toupee posted:

Is there something similar to Isis but without vocals, or at least without growls?

Have you tried Pelican? Their earlier material especially.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Severed posted:

I've inexplicably become a huge fan of Rush in the past few weeks. What started as a curiosity has really gotten out of hand and I ended up buying Moving Pictures, Signals, Presto, Counterparts, Test For Echo. I'm looking at picking up Grace Under Pressure and Permanent Waves as well.

What else should I look into beyond the scope of Rush? This kind of music has largely gone by me unnoticed. Recommendations?

Most of their early stuff is good. Fly By Night, 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres and even A Caress Of Steel. Their self titled is without Neil Peart and sounds like typical blues rock of the 70's, but its still worth listening to I think.

If you like live albums, I haven't heard a bad live Rush album yet, Different Stages is my favourite.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
I kind of want something like Mayday Parade, but where they bring out the rock elements a little more and tone the pop down a little. Something closer to "Black Cat" or "Walk on Water or Drown" than "Jamie All Over".

So, you know, heavy pop-punk with technical guitar and melodic vocals.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Severed posted:

I've inexplicably become a huge fan of Rush in the past few weeks. What started as a curiosity has really gotten out of hand and I ended up buying Moving Pictures, Signals, Presto, Counterparts, Test For Echo. I'm looking at picking up Grace Under Pressure and Permanent Waves as well.

What else should I look into beyond the scope of Rush? This kind of music has largely gone by me unnoticed. Recommendations?
Man, I dunno how I missed this. Permanent Waves is probably my favorite from their catalog, but if you like the direction they moved in with Moving Pictures and Signals, you should definitely pick up Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, and Hold Your Fire, all of which I would say are a lot better than Presto. Permanent Waves should probably be your first purchase though as I think it provides a good bridge from their 80s sound and their 70s sound (and it's also more consistent than a lot of their albums).

As far as similar bands go, Rush occupies sort of an unusual place in that they will often get categorized as prog rock but they really tend to stay pretty rooted in rock, and really don't push the boundaries quite as much as other prog bands like King Crimson, Yes, or Genesis; the prog rock designation comes more from the sort of wanky musicianship and tendency towards long songs (which they pretty much lost after Moving Pictures, and even then The Camera Eye is the only one that's all that long).

A lot of people have compared Coheed & Cambria to Rush, and while I think the music doesn't sound all that similar (aside from the high-pitched male vocals), I think they sort of play a similar role in that they're pseudo-prog, with epic concepts and an eye towards using somewhat elaborate rock music to tell larger stories, but again they don't venture far outside rock (in their case, being more pop-punk-influenced than having Rush's 70's blues rock influence).

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Most of their early stuff is good. Fly By Night, 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres and even A Caress Of Steel. Their self titled is without Neil Peart and sounds like typical blues rock of the 70's, but its still worth listening to I think.

If you like live albums, I haven't heard a bad live Rush album yet, Different Stages is my favourite.

If you're looking for something similar to 70s Rush, but less proggy and more hard rock/70s metal, there's Budgie, which features even higher pitched vocals and a faster tempo.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I take it alot of people here don't listen to electronic music? Should I ask elsewhere?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Akur0 posted:

I take it alot of people here don't listen to electronic music? Should I ask elsewhere?
I'm not sure if you're aware of this but you came off as a bit of a tool in your post. "I'm a guy with really really diverse tastes so forgive me." made me roll my eyes like crazy. Also,

you posted:

I'm very fond of heavy bass and rapidfire percussion. I normally don't care for Melody heavy music but I'm willing to give anything a try. Finally aside from Gabba, D&B, Breakcore, I can branch out to multiple genres from Classical to Country/Bluegrass to Mathcore.
What does this even mean? What are you even looking for if you say you don't like melody-heavy music but you like classical?

Basically your entire post sounded like a big self-important name-drop-fest, and that post and this post I'm quoting seem less like a search for music and more like a personal test for the forum.

That said, if you want more music like that Venetian Snares album, just say that. If you want more music like DJ Technorch, just say that. Using adjectives to describe what you're looking for (and veer towards more specific, objective descriptions, rather than qualitative ones) will help your search for music greatly.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
Uhh, I was really trying to describe what I was aiming for in paticular but I guess that works as well, though I'm well aware of Venetian Snares.

*edit*

pfft duh, I made the post asking for the music by using said artist, all apologies man.

Munoma fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 1, 2009

Vince McMahon
Dec 18, 2003
Bit of an unusual one: I'm trying to find something like this. I've heard it described as 'jaunty jazz' but I don't have a clue where to look for something similar. Any input is appreciated.

If anyone is wondering, that clip is sometimes the end credits of 30 Rock.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Vince McMahon posted:

Bit of an unusual one: I'm trying to find something like this. I've heard it described as 'jaunty jazz' but I don't have a clue where to look for something similar. Any input is appreciated.

Not sure about that jaunty term. Its influenced by big band swing jazz for sure. I'd check out Dizzy Gillespie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtG5m7P56vk and Duke Ellington http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNAxjeaT0Kk

Two totally different musicians from different periods of Jazz, but the 30 Rock theme has elements of both I'd say. If you're a fan of swing and have a record player, you're in luck because thrift stores across America have piles and piles of the stuff.

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.

19charactersorless. posted:

Can anyone recommend me anything like Yamatsuka Eye's Lift Boys project? It's fun, tribal house music on acid.

anyone?
here's a sample for reference: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_dmusic/?tag=thehypmac-20&url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=Anarchy+Way+The+Lift+Boys

Zombie Kohlhaas
Jul 3, 2007

Vince McMahon posted:

Maybe the Gordon Goodwin Big Phat Band? Or the song "The Sidewinder" by Lee Morgan. Maybe even "A Night on Bop Mountain" by J.J. Johnson?

Edit: Or also "Open Mike" by Johnny Hodges, on the album Everybody Knows.

Zombie Kohlhaas fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 2, 2009

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

het posted:

Man, I dunno how I missed this. Permanent Waves is probably my favorite from their catalog, but if you like the direction they moved in with Moving Pictures and Signals, you should definitely pick up Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, and Hold Your Fire, all of which I would say are a lot better than Presto. Permanent Waves should probably be your first purchase though as I think it provides a good bridge from their 80s sound and their 70s sound (and it's also more consistent than a lot of their albums).

As far as similar bands go, Rush occupies sort of an unusual place in that they will often get categorized as prog rock but they really tend to stay pretty rooted in rock, and really don't push the boundaries quite as much as other prog bands like King Crimson, Yes, or Genesis; the prog rock designation comes more from the sort of wanky musicianship and tendency towards long songs (which they pretty much lost after Moving Pictures, and even then The Camera Eye is the only one that's all that long).

A lot of people have compared Coheed & Cambria to Rush, and while I think the music doesn't sound all that similar (aside from the high-pitched male vocals), I think they sort of play a similar role in that they're pseudo-prog, with epic concepts and an eye towards using somewhat elaborate rock music to tell larger stories, but again they don't venture far outside rock (in their case, being more pop-punk-influenced than having Rush's 70's blues rock influence).

I think I'm more partial to the synth-era of Rush than any other. I got Grace Under Pressure and it's fantastic. I think AfterImage has to be one of my favorite songs at this moment. Amazon has recommended Yes and Genesis, so I may check those out and see how they fare. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try to give Coheed and Cambria a listen with an open mind, but what I heard I didn't much care for. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

edit - And I dig Presto quite a bit, actually. Show Don't Tell is a pretty good song imo and the entire album is in that vein.

Severed fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 2, 2009

m0nkeysensei
Mar 13, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Anything out there like MSI?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

m0nkeysensei posted:

Maybe I'll get bashed for this, but I find The Prodigy and Rammstein somehow similar to MSI

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

m0nkeysensei posted:

You might like Dr.Steel.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Can't help you, unfortunately, but just wanted to say thanks for introducing me to yet another Boredoms related project I didn't know about :)

Vince McMahon
Dec 18, 2003
Thanks for the replies guys, I will check out your recommendations. 'Big band' kind of hit the nail on the head really, as I've got some Glenn Miller stuff that sounds similar. I guess I forgot about it.

scumble
Dec 10, 2005

It's Fozzie Bear, not fuzzy bear.

Mannequin posted:

I was trying to locate the theme used for Jack Sparrow in the movie "Pirates of the Caribbean"

it's the last track on the soundtrack for the first movie, the one called "He's a Pirate."

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!
I'm learning Gaelic and I'm looking for some music so I can get a better feel for the language. What are some good bands? I don't like Enya sort of music so much but that's most of what I find.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Fame Throwa posted:

I'm learning Gaelic and I'm looking for some music so I can get a better feel for the language. What are some good bands? I don't like Enya sort of music so much but that's most of what I find.

Oh man that's bizzare. If you live in Scotland watch the classic De a Nis.

Solar Cuckulator
Mar 14, 2008

hay guys lets smoke!!:havlat:
I'm looking for some prog rock or acid folk in the vein of Comus, something that actually has a chilling sort of bite to it and isn't just classically-influenced slow psychedelia. (First utterance, not anything afterwards--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqXxPUfUmxI) I don't mind something that takes a long time to develop as long as it eventually arrives somewhere. None of the similar artists on last.fm really do it for me.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Fame Throwa posted:

I think Runrig often sing in Gaelic, but they're awful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runrig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj_srxNrQC0

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!

Xtal posted:

Oh man that's bizzare. If you live in Scotland watch the classic De a Nis.

I live in America, sadly. :(

Fame Throwa fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 5, 2009

medium raw
Jan 15, 2008
I've been listening to a lot of Pavement, DIsmemberment Plan, and Harvey Danger, I really like the catchy and upbeat but slightly chaotic and discordant song style. The problem is when I hunt for similar artists or songs, it usually crosses too far into the "just a lot of noise" territory or, worse, sounds too generic and bland. I'm looking for stuff that's still pretty listenable without being boring or overly simple.

Sorry if I just sound like I'm contradicting myself, I'm not sure how else to describe what I'm looking for.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

By "catchy and upbeat but slightly chaotic and discordant song style" do you mean something like Touch Me I'm Sick?

medium raw
Jan 15, 2008

Way Past Cool! posted:

By "catchy and upbeat but slightly chaotic and discordant song style" do you mean something like Touch Me I'm Sick?

Yeah, that's pretty much it, or like "Cambridge" by Motion City Soundtrack, or "Tonight We Mean It" by Dismemberment Plan, or "Theme from 'Carjack Fever'" by Harvey Danger if that helps me sound less vague at all (I couldn't find any online samples of these for reference, sadly).

thanks for the suggestion, I definitely need to check out more Mudhoney now

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Fame Throwa posted:

I asked for that in the last thread, and got no where unfortunately.

Here in the UK, BBC Alba launched recently, and it's a completely Gaelic channel. I'm not sure if there's any way to get iPlayer on America, but if you can:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv/bbc_alba

That's actually how I came to ask in the last thread - I heard some decent live bands singing in Gaelic on there, and was after more.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Somebody recommend me 70s music. I love The Bee Gees.

Tripplejol
Jan 1, 2006

The Power and The Ballin'

Bean_ posted:

My roommate and I have decided to become stupidly obsessed with a few dance songs lately. Recommend something that we could get into seeing as we REALLY like:

I know it's a little late but try these...
Utah Saints - Something Good 08 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMLCrzy9TEs
Alex Gaudino - Destination Calabria - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVi-KtBCes0

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Mr. Belding posted:

I kind of want something like Mayday Parade, but where they bring out the rock elements a little more and tone the pop down a little. Something closer to "Black Cat" or "Walk on Water or Drown" than "Jamie All Over".

So, you know, heavy pop-punk with technical guitar and melodic vocals.

You could try Anberlin -- it's more rock though. Never Take Friendship Personal is their best album I think, although I love them all -- some of the songs on New Surrender are their best yet

Sweet Baby Ray
Feb 2, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I need some Jazz recommendations based on my liking of...

Charles Mingus
Miles Davis
Thelonious Monk
John Coltrane
Cannonball Adderley

All of the stuff I have liked so far by them has been between 1950-1970 roughly.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Made a thread for this but it got gassed, stupid me. Got a couple good recommendations before it did though.

What are some of the better, "clubbier" hip-hop remixes?

I'm looking for stuff like the Crookers take on Kid Cudi's "Day 'N' Night," Flosstradamus's "Act A Fool," and this Benny Benassi/50 Cent track whose origins I don't even know. Basically just stuff that would bring down a smelly, annoying club.

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

Sweet Baby Ray posted:

I need some Jazz recommendations based on my liking of...

Charles Mingus
Miles Davis
Thelonious Monk
John Coltrane
Cannonball Adderley

All of the stuff I have liked so far by them has been between 1950-1970 roughly.

you can get all of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Note_Records_discography#Blue_Note_4000_Series up until 68 or so and you'll pretty much like all of them except maybe some of the albums Sam Rivers plays on, and the Cecil Taylor records

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
What are some good, modern pop albums? I've been listening to Justin Timberlake's Futuresex/Lovesounds, and I'm convinced its the best pop album since the 80's when Prince or Michael Jackson released something.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Can anyone recommend me a compilation or a starting point for dub artists? Been wanting to get into dub for a long time but never knew where to start.

Verdance
May 9, 2007
Tweak

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

What are some good, modern pop albums? I've been listening to Justin Timberlake's Futuresex/Lovesounds, and I'm convinced its the best pop album since the 80's when Prince or Michael Jackson released something.

I don't know what the forums opinion is on it.

But Lady Gaga's The Fame I would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Tweaker1 posted:

I don't know what the forums opinion is on it.

But Lady Gaga's The Fame I would recommend.

I've listened to it, it's not for me. I did like that Just Dance song, never saw the video but heard in on this Nike compilation and thought it was good, but the rest of the album wasn't that great, then I saw how she dressed.