Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

japtor posted:

Yeah I had the cut out problems even after stopping the other wireless stuff. I also noticed at a certain point it just wouldn't play or if I went back up the menus, wouldn't even connect to the shares unless I restarted the app. I posted it as a new issue on their site, hopefully someone else knows a fix.

Yeah that happened to me to, not being able to connect again until a restart had been done. I tried putting the "keepalive = 0" option in MPlayer CE's smb.conf as mentioned by the guy who replied to your bug, but it still quits back to the file list. New version didn't work at all (also mentioned on the bug page).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
It's good to know that this one is actively being worked on unlike so many other homebrew programs that stopped updating entirely.

Edit, to contribute, Marcan wrote an extensive article about why the Wii will never really improve anytime soon, if at all. It's somewhat disheartening, but Nintendo will forge ahead nonetheless. http://hackmii.com/2009/02/why-the-wii-will-never-get-any-better/

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 2, 2009

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Keito posted:

Yeah that happened to me to, not being able to connect again until a restart had been done. I tried putting the "keepalive = 0" option in MPlayer CE's smb.conf as mentioned by the guy who replied to your bug, but it still quits back to the file list. New version didn't work at all (also mentioned on the bug page).
The guy that wrote it's for the smb.conf on the SD card is an idiot a goon :v: I think, it's for the server side. Some other guy posted that if it's not there (such as mine on OS X) you just add in the keepalive line. If you're on Windows I don't know what the fix would be.

Of course now there's an update out, 0.3a, which is supposed to address the keepalive issue.

japtor fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 2, 2009

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

japtor posted:

The guy that wrote it's for the smb.conf on the SD card is an idiot I think, it's for the server side. Some other guy posted that if it's not there (such as mine on OS X) you just add in the keepalive line. If you're on Windows I don't know what the fix would be.

Of course now there's an update out, 0.3a, which is supposed to address the keepalive issue.

Yeah, that was me, and I was being an idiot - it's server-side alright. I also screwed up when testing 0.3a the first time, now I'm streaming Batman & Robin for a while to see if the problem's fixed before making GBS threads up the bug report any more (also I'm on Arch Linux).

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Is there a way to SAFELY start completely over? I installed Preloader (since it was recommended as THE region-free program) and now my wii acts up. I know it replaced the wii's system menu and I'd like this reverted back to normal. It takes a longer time to boot up. Everything works fine, but I'd like to calm my nerves by starting over. Any ideas?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Firmware version 3.5 is being rolled out (in Korea at least, so who knows what that means for the rest of the world). Be prepared, I guess.

All About Trout
Jul 17, 2007

Is there any real reason to keep wiiconnect24 off? I read somewhere to turn it off, I guess that was just recommended to avoid getting the update messages.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

All About Trout posted:

Is there any real reason to keep wiiconnect24 off? I read somewhere to turn it off, I guess that was just recommended to avoid getting the update messages.
Nah, it's just paranoia that nintendo might ship an update that will install itself automatically and remove the possibility for homebrew.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zom Aur posted:

Nah, it's just paranoia that nintendo might ship an update that will install itself automatically and remove the possibility for homebrew.

It's not really paranoia when they added the silent autoupdate to 3.4 and have been doing stuff to break homebrew with every patch.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

All About Trout posted:

Not homebrew-related, but many people believe leaving WiiConnect24 on can cause heat damage to your GPU which leads to weird graphical glitches or something. Check the Wii megathread OP for details.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Echophonic posted:

It's not really paranoia when they added the silent autoupdate to 3.4 and have been doing stuff to break homebrew with every patch.
They didn't actually add anything to auto-update the wii as far as I know. Only an agreement that they would have the right to auto-update it if they choose to.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_System_Updates
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu_Versions

zincaito
Nov 18, 2003

i love adventures
There's a goon selling a Wii that has homebrew stuff installed on it. I'm interested in buying it, but only if I can basically totally wipe it back to stock firmware, in such a way that I won't get warranty canceled in the future, will be able to use Nintendo's system updates, etc.

Is there a way to do this? I tried to look at Wiibrew.org but it seems to be down for me.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Depends on what they've done. Often it's as simple as just deleting the homebrew channel unless they're ballsy enough to make changes to the system menu software. The basic homebrew installation doesn't touch the firmware at all.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Could the factory reset feature be able to clean custom IOS stuff? I've got no idea.

Anyway you should ask if he's played "backups", because people who do have made changes to the system software.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I got Madworld but it's requiring me to update the system before I can play it. Would anything break from 3.3 post 10/23 update if I run it?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Try running it through GeckoOS and see if it still works. I imagine yes, if you update it will update you to System Menu 3.4 and that one sucks.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
I'm trying to downgrade my Wii from System Menu 3.4 to System Menu 3.2, I've taken the first several steps to where I'm now using AnyRegion Changer 1.1b to install System Menu 3.2, and I've got issues.

I choose to install 3.2U, and it downloads and installs, but at the end, I get this:

quote:

Cleaning up temporary IOS version 255
- Removing tickets... No tickets found!
- Removing title contents...
Error! ES_DeleteTitleContent (ret = -106)
- Remove title...
Error! ES_DeleteTitle (ret = -106)

This follows with "Press any key to continue", but when I press any key, I get

quote:

Error! ES_OpenTitleContent (ret = -1026)

When it goes back to the main screen, I now get a warning about an Area/SysMenu mismatch, and it shows my System Menu installed region to be "."

I haven't left AnyRegion changer since this happened, since I'm freaked out about this causing major problems. Anyone with a clue what's happened here, and what I might be able to do to fix it?

EDIT: Ah, nevermind. Turns out that, despite the error, the downgrade actually succeeded, and 3.2 is now installed.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 16, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've never played a game with an update I already had, is there some sort of message or something that pops up?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Xythar posted:

Try running it through GeckoOS and see if it still works. I imagine yes, if you update it will update you to System Menu 3.4 and that one sucks.

My Wii was on the custom 3.3 that was released, and after I had to redownload something home the shop channel that I didn't have a backup of I was forced to upgrade to 3.4. I did the upgrade fully planning to have to downgrade afterwards, but now that I have 3.4 I have found that all the homebrew stuff still works. I'm still able to install wads, I've update my IOS, everything.

Can anybody think a reason why things are still working? I thought 3.4 broke everything?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

zandert33 posted:

My Wii was on the custom 3.3 that was released, and after I had to redownload something home the shop channel that I didn't have a backup of I was forced to upgrade to 3.4. I did the upgrade fully planning to have to downgrade afterwards, but now that I have 3.4 I have found that all the homebrew stuff still works. I'm still able to install wads, I've update my IOS, everything.

Can anybody think a reason why things are still working? I thought 3.4 broke everything?

The same thing happened to me, and everything works. I have not had a single issue. I've been using 3.4 since it came out.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

NYIslander posted:

I got Madworld but it's requiring me to update the system before I can play it. Would anything break from 3.3 post 10/23 update if I run it?
The Madworld update doesn't update the system version, its just a truncha bugfix. My Wii is still at 3.2U after running the update.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It didn't even tell me there was an update. I think I'm running 3.3, I forget.

I don't mean to sound as paranoid as I do, I really REALLY doubt Nintendo is just gonna shove out an update that breaks the poo poo out of Homebrew for a few days. Just considering the possibility.

Hell, I actually prefer SNES games on an emulator on the Wii now, I think. Had a buddy over, we got out Mystical Ninja and put it in my SNES, before I realized we wouldn't have to screw with cords if we emulated it and sat across the room with classics (including an AWESOME Club Nintendo Super Famicom classic I paid too much for on eBay).

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I had downgraded things to install the GCN backup launcher, and everything worked fine. Except that when I launched Guitar Hero World Tour with GeckoOS, I couldn't use the SD card to retrieve downloaded songs or write them there after downloading.

Update to 3.4 and nothing is broken in my case, not even the DVD playback, but then again, that one always kind of sucked so if it was broken, not much would be lost. Still, not going to update to 3.5 for MadWorld or anything unless the same issue I had with GeckoOS and SD cards happens again.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Luisfe posted:

I had downgraded things to install the GCN backup launcher, and everything worked fine. Except that when I launched Guitar Hero World Tour with GeckoOS, I couldn't use the SD card to retrieve downloaded songs or write them there after downloading.

Update to 3.4 and nothing is broken in my case, not even the DVD playback, but then again, that one always kind of sucked so if it was broken, not much would be lost. Still, not going to update to 3.5 for MadWorld or anything unless the same issue I had with GeckoOS and SD cards happens again.

DVD playback is only as good as the DVD playing program you're using. Try Mplayer CE, it's a lot better than the original Team Twiizers version.

Also, 3.5 isn't out yet unless you live in Korea.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

FlyingCheese posted:

DVD playback is only as good as the DVD playing program you're using. Try Mplayer CE, it's a lot better than the original Team Twiizers version.

Also, 3.5 isn't out yet unless you live in Korea.

Didn't Madworld come with a brand new thing? If not, sweet, another new game I don't have to run on geckoOS :v:

Still, the issues with the SD card on GH: World Tour were weird. And there *was* one notable change after applying 3.4 again, on the multigame GCN discs, it has some issues loading anything after the second iso. Minor annoyance, but eh.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Luisfe posted:

Didn't Madworld come with a brand new thing? If not, sweet, another new game I don't have to run on geckoOS :v:

As far as I know, only Nintendo-made games come with updates. But I could be wrong about that. Either way, I think the guys at Wiibrew.org would know for sure.

Luisfe posted:

Still, the issues with the SD card on GH: World Tour were weird. And there *was* one notable change after applying 3.4 again, on the multigame GCN discs, it has some issues loading anything after the second iso. Minor annoyance, but eh.

There really is no true way to downgrade. The Wii doesn't work like that. All the IOS's you've ever installed on your Wii are still there and can still cause some wonkyness when you gently caress around with them. It's truly the best method to never update unless you absolutely have to.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
If I ever wanted to use the DLC for GH:WT I had to upgrade to 3.4. Now that I don't have to boot that one up from GeckoOS, I don't have that issue. I wonder if that will happen again with any other game that stores DLC on an SD card, if booted from Gecko OS, the SD card will have issues and whatnot.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Alright, since I posted my question in a dead thread (because I'm a loving idiot) what should I do about Gecko OS not running? I tried the latest version, in .dol format, but when I try it from the HBC I get a message saying "This is not a Wii application." Solutions?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I didn't see this in the op, but on the wiibrew faq it says you can't use a card under 256, which was why I was having so many problems.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

savesthedayrocks posted:

I didn't see this in the op, but on the wiibrew faq it says you can't use a card under 256, which was why I was having so many problems.

Where does it say that? The Compatibility Test chart shows at least one under 256 that works.
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/SD/SDHC_Card_Compatibility_Tests

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Just updated for the game, it's still 3.3U so I should be fine

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Shmoogy posted:

The same thing happened to me, and everything works. I have not had a single issue. I've been using 3.4 since it came out.

I think the issue with 3.4 is that it put in the background working for Nintendo to be able to update Wii's automatically using WiiConnect24 and that it would possibly be used in the future to introduce anti-homebrew measures.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Ddraig posted:

I think the issue with 3.4 is that it put in the background working for Nintendo to be able to update Wii's automatically using WiiConnect24 and that it would possibly be used in the future to introduce anti-homebrew measures.

The only thing they changed was the TOS. There is absolutely NO auto-updating code implemented in any Nintendo system update as of yet.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Errrgh, trying to set up Mplayer CE to connect to a SMB share on my network, and when I try to access it the thing just locks up - goes totally unresponsive, to the point I have to get up and power cycle the Wii. :(

My config:

#Samba share1 (smb1:/)
ip1=192.168.1.110
share1=video
user1=[my username]
pass1=[my pass]

That SMB share is sitting on an XP machine, and can be reached by both the Windows and Linux boxes in my house as \\192.168.1.110\video. The Wii is static IP'd and all is set up properly there, and it can get out to the internet... Using system software 3.3U, Mplayer CE 0.3a.

The only thing I can think of is that it's a hardware issue in the media server - the hard drive holding all my video has a weird delay - usually of 3-5 seconds followed by a healthy click - if it goes unaccessed for periods of time. I thought it was dying, but it's done this for well over a year. Weird hard drive. :confused: But I wonder if it's hitting the server, the drive's snoozing, and Mplayer is freaking out? The Windows and Linux boxes just wait, then show the folder contents.

I wish there was a telnet/ping tool for the Wii, maybe inside one of the Linux distros for it?

e. Well holy crap, now it works. I almost guarantee it was the hdd thing, because I copied some files off that drive to the SD to test SD playback [which is perfect]. The share loaded instantly this time.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 18, 2009

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

FlyingCheese posted:

Where does it say that? The Compatibility Test chart shows at least one under 256 that works.
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/SD/SDHC_Card_Compatibility_Tests

What kind of an SD card should I use?
As long as they're formatted to FAT 16 (FAT) or FAT 32, most SD cards should work for you. All SD cards smaller than 256mb will not work for you because they are too small to be formatted properly. If you are still unsure which type of card to use, this page may help you: SD/SDHC Card Compatibility Tests

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiBrew:FAQ

9th one down.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Code Jockey posted:

Errrgh, trying to set up Mplayer CE to connect to a SMB share on my network, and when I try to access it the thing just locks up - goes totally unresponsive, to the point I have to get up and power cycle the Wii. :(

My config:

#Samba share1 (smb1:/)
ip1=192.168.1.110
share1=video
user1=[my username]
pass1=[my pass]

That SMB share is sitting on an XP machine, and can be reached by both the Windows and Linux boxes in my house as \\192.168.1.110\video. The Wii is static IP'd and all is set up properly there, and it can get out to the internet... Using system software 3.3U, Mplayer CE 0.3a.

The only thing I can think of is that it's a hardware issue in the media server - the hard drive holding all my video has a weird delay - usually of 3-5 seconds followed by a healthy click - if it goes unaccessed for periods of time. I thought it was dying, but it's done this for well over a year. Weird hard drive. :confused: But I wonder if it's hitting the server, the drive's snoozing, and Mplayer is freaking out? The Windows and Linux boxes just wait, then show the folder contents.

I wish there was a telnet/ping tool for the Wii, maybe inside one of the Linux distros for it?

e. Well holy crap, now it works. I almost guarantee it was the hdd thing, because I copied some files off that drive to the SD to test SD playback [which is perfect]. The share loaded instantly this time.

MplayerCE will occasionally just take its sweet time in connecting to my shares. Sometimes it's nearly instant, others it takes a good 3 or 4 minutes. I believe I have the same version as you though, and there have been a couple of updates since then.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
.3a is the latest. What you should do is uncomment the debug line, I think it's in the mplayer.conf file. On startup it'll show the connection process, whether it's waiting/connected/failed.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I'll give that a shot too.

I was really, really surprised to see I'm still on 3.3u, even though I've used DLC with Rock Band 2 [well, the free stuff, haven't purchased anything yet]. I figured that would've forced 3.4 [and I thought I remember it doing so]. I've received the notification about updating, but I haven't installed it yet.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Only 1st party games have included updates so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Code Jockey posted:

I'll give that a shot too.

I was really, really surprised to see I'm still on 3.3u, even though I've used DLC with Rock Band 2 [well, the free stuff, haven't purchased anything yet]. I figured that would've forced 3.4 [and I thought I remember it doing so]. I've received the notification about updating, but I haven't installed it yet.

The update installer doesn't tell you what it's updating to, you won't know until after it's installed. And like I and the wizards beard said, only Nintendo games have updates.

• Locked thread