Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

8ender posted:

Those will sure come in handy with spring coming :v:

Well, it would have been nice in the armpit of winter, but even during spring, they'll be nice on any longer rides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Phat_Albert posted:

I actually just removed the grip heaters from the Bandit. I didnt think they were really that great, as the other side of your hands is still freezing cold.

I'm going to just try a pair of cold weather gloves this fall and see how that goes.

Heated gloves, seriously. Worth every penny the first time your use them. Heated grips might be good for the cold morning portion of a long ride when you dont really want to pack a thick rear end pair of gloves, but then it comes to a deep cold or all day rides and heated glove is king. You can even just get heated glove liners, which aren't as good, but can easily be taken off and stowed later in the day. Then you can get a heated vest or jacket liner later, and be blown away by the comfort again.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
My heated grips worked ok when wearing thin gloves, but my tourmaster heated gloves are the bestest. I just wish they had batteries so I could wear them shoveling last week (and not have to wire myself into my bike).

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

8ender posted:

Those will sure come in handy with spring coming :v:

I usually ride with the GS grip heaters on low in the summer (as we call that short season up here). Lessens the tendency of my hands to cramp. In the winter, they get turned to high and between the heaters and the handguards, my hands stay reasonably warm right down to 0ºF. I recommend them for any bike that can support them power-wise.

edit for "I can sure speak me some good English!"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Being a hardass and riding around on winter roads took its toll on the Zook, headers and the front end of the frame was caked in road grime and salt which got some mean rust going. Note to self, hose it down often when doing that.

I got rattlecans of black hot paint and grey rim paint, the latter is supposed to hold up pretty good against rocks and dust blast. I repainted my CB 100 once with days of prep work and it came out really well but this was just a shine up.

After cleaning the frame and headers and some scotchbrite pad lovin'. Not exactly master level prep work but what the hell.

All dressed up and ready for the prom. I overmasked like poo poo, partly because I was paranoid about tiny droples of paint, partly because I got lost in the work while listening to nice stuff on the radio.

Oil cooler and battery tray getting some love.

I forgot to take a pic of the finished headers, they came out really nice with no run and just a cool flat black surface, only interrupted by the scattered nodules of rust I'd missed. The frame however, not so good. The rim pain was real thick and runny and wasn't a perfect color match to the rest of the frame either.

I had to stop somewhere, but it's funny how you just move the ugly down the bike when you clean something up. Now the rest of the frame looks crap. I'll do a concourse restoration when I'm old and fat, hopefully it'll look ace when a fine layer of spring road dust settles on the frame and helps blend the different shades.

Now excuse me while I go cough in regret of not using a dust mask.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Oh the joys of helping others. KDC67 and I went to the Midwest GS tire changing party at Joes. It was fun. There were roughly 20 tires changed. 10-12 people showed. Lunch was served. And remarkably, only one set of forkseals were changed. (typically 2-4 sets are taken care of)

I think the second worst picture ever taken of me was done yesterday.

And, I may have taken the best picture of the day.

It's a 1982 Katana 1100. It's completely stock. And it's un-restored. I think It may have new shocks on it. But that's it.

Lets see here. We also took good shots of my CT1 and TC90

So here's my 1971 Yamaha CT1. This is the bike "just before" the DT series of bikes. They're quite similar, with the major difference being that this is a piston port bike, instead of reed valve. I'm $320 deep in it now.

And a 1971 Suzuki TC90. I'm probally 300 deep in this one. And I just kinda want it gone. They're "neat" because they are disk valve motors, and have a 4x2 transmission. And it runs!

I've got the carb cover, and a complete tuneup kit for it. I'll be listing that bad boy on ebay tonight. We'll see what comes of it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Is that an R/R exposed to cold fresh air I see right under the Katana's saddle? Is it mounted like that originally?

By the way Nerobro, what's your take on Dynabeads for balancing tires? I've read a lot about them and I'm sort of convinced. Thinking about trying it when changing my tires soon.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nerobro posted:

It's a 1982 Katana 1100. It's completely stock. And it's un-restored. I think It may have new shocks on it. But that's it.

Jesus, I can only imagine how much that thing must weigh.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Did the Katanas come with polished engines like that?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Ola posted:

Is that an R/R exposed to cold fresh air I see right under the Katana's saddle? Is it mounted like that originally?
*ballance*
Yes, that's the factory arrangement for the regulator and fusebox. The katana's don't have as many r/r problems ;-)

As for wheel ballance, I've been told not to worry much. Z3n and Phat Albert know better than I do.

Christoff posted:

Jesus, I can only imagine how much that thing must weigh.
About the same as a GS1100E. 511lbs. People get all bent out of shape over motorcycle weight. Once the thing is moving, it doesn't matter. And GS's have very low centers of gravity, so the weight is easy to handle.

Phat_Albert posted:

Did the Katanas come with polished engines like that?
I'm fairly sure, that's factory. Checking suzukicycles.org, it looks factory.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
Today I discovered the hard way that the charging system in my Vulcan 750 has poo poo the bed. Sitting at a red light the bike stalled, and the battery was dead when I went to start it.

I got the bike trailered home, and jump started it. I was getting less than 10 volts at 4K RPMs. It's supposed to be between 14-15 volts. The battery is brand new, so that's not it. poo poo.

Hmm...lets bust out the Kaw shop manual and see what replacing the alternator entails:

Step 1:
Remove engine from the frame.

:smith:

I'm not looking forward to this.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

You sure it's the alternator? :-) Does it HAVE a proper alternator? Could it be a stator? could it just be the regulator/rectifier?

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Nerobro posted:

You sure it's the alternator? :-) Does it HAVE a proper alternator? Could it be a stator? could it just be the regulator/rectifier?

Yeah I meant the stator. I need to do a little more troubleshooting with my multimeter and shop manual and make sure it is the stator. I'd rather it be the regulator/rectifier, less work for me :).

The VN750 forums has a stickied thread about replacing the stator. Sounds like a common problem with these bikes.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=439

Funny thing is I don't know how long it has been bad. I've had it hooked up to a battery keeper when I wasn't riding it this winter, and I have only been commuting about 10 miles to and from work on it, so it never had a chance to drain the battery.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Testing the stator is a 5 minute thing. :-) Hop to it!

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Zenaida posted:

Which two?

This is in response to...

Tindjin posted:

Hell no! Great engine and I love my wee-strom (Suzuki DL650 V-Strom). Okay if I had the money it would be two different bikes in my garage (neither a suzuki v-twin) but until the economy comes back it's 1 bike and this one does everything I need/want right now.

I have two types of riding that I like to do most. First is going out in the desert and exploring. For that I'd like a DRZ-400 or something similar with a larger aftermarket fuel tank. Something I can still ride on streets but light/small enough to do some technical riding.

Second is chewing up miles, preferably with lotsa turns. For this I'd like something more like an FJR1300, some protection but still sporty enough to have fun in the turns.

Of course if I had piles of cash sitting around there would also be a custom cruiser and some classic bikes in the garage but that's for when I win the lottery. Until then the Suzuki does me just right with being able to explore on and off road and it's drat good in the corners for not being a sports bike.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Jesus people.

Not later than 1 hour after I sell my bike the dude runs a toll road. Luckily I made a copy of the release of liability this time. Although the date is the same as the violation so I hope they don't give me a hard time because of that.

I sold a car years back and the chick never registered it. I got a $150 parking ticket and at least 2-3 towing companies after me. Had to send a request to the DMV which took about a month or two. drat.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Christoff posted:

Jesus people.

Not later than 1 hour after I sell my bike the dude runs a toll road. Luckily I made a copy of the release of liability this time. Although the date is the same as the violation so I hope they don't give me a hard time because of that.

I sold a car years back and the chick never registered it. I got a $150 parking ticket and at least 2-3 towing companies after me. Had to send a request to the DMV which took about a month or two. drat.
A similar thing happened to me a while back. I sold my first car for $500 bucks to a friend and never really thought too much about it. I had heard that he lost it in a card game but wasn't sure what happened to it. About a year and a half later I got a call from an impound yard asking to come pick up my car. I had no clue what they were talking about until he told me the make and model of the car. Apparently neither of the next two owners bothered to register it. I thought about picking it up again and selling it but it was about a two hour ride away and I'm lazy.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

jdonz posted:

A similar thing happened to me a while back. I sold my first car for $500 bucks to a friend and never really thought too much about it. I had heard that he lost it in a card game but wasn't sure what happened to it. About a year and a half later I got a call from an impound yard asking to come pick up my car. I had no clue what they were talking about until he told me the make and model of the car. Apparently neither of the next two owners bothered to register it. I thought about picking it up again and selling it but it was about a two hour ride away and I'm lazy.

Well I think she totaled it within about a month of me selling it to her. I know it went to at least two different two yards and I had CHP sending me crap too. I think I could have picked it up but it didn't really have any value and I just didn't want to deal with the hassle. Plus it probably had some outrageous fees.

Suffice to say although it should be common sense. Make a drat copy of their driver license and the whole title.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Do most people just leave the plates on the bike/car after they sell it? Surprised most people could go so long without the car having plates from not being registered.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Do most people just leave the plates on the bike/car after they sell it? Surprised most people could go so long without the car having plates from not being registered.

Wait, what? Does this depend on the state? As far as I know in CA you don't keep the plates unless they're personalized.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

It was so long ago I can't remember. I'd guess I left the plate on probably because it was already expired.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Christoff posted:

Wait, what? Does this depend on the state? As far as I know in CA you don't keep the plates unless they're personalized.

Yeah, it depends on state. CA the plates go with the car unless they're personalized.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I was riding last week when we had a >60º day in Chicagoland when something happened to me.

I'm riding down the street in full gear in my Ninja 250 not doing anything stupid, just riding, and coming toward me in the opposite lane is a stereotypical "big harley biker guy". Usually, I'll do the customary wave at other bikers, but I only reserve the wave for sport bikes. This isn't because I have a problem with Harley riders or non-sport bikes, but because the culture rift is so wide.

Anyways, as I'm approaching the harley biker coming toward me, complete with long beard, bandana, leathers and all, he looks over at me. I then begin to look over at him, waiting to see if he's going to wave. Well, the next thing that happened was a first for me.

The Harley biker raised his hand and flipped me the bird as he passed me.

WHAT THE gently caress? I kind of laughed to myself for a minute because it's so petty and ridiculous. I didn't realize the culture rift had gotten to the point of hostility. Has this happened to anyone else?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
drat, that's some serious insecure bullshit there. I'd have just waved and smiled at him anyway, but maybe I'm just an rear end in a top hat that way.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
It's because the Ninja was made in Thailand.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

blugu64 posted:

It's because the Ninja was made in Thailand.

I'd be more than happy to purchase an American sport bike as long as they made it within my budget. Until then, the Ninja is great!

VVV- Yeah I know you were, the 250 is so much fun, I honestly don't feel the need to change my ride anytime soon. The only reason I'd upgrade would be for more power when riding 2 up.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 9, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I'd be more than happy to purchase an American sport bike as long as they made it within my budget. Until then, the Ninja is great!

Giving you a hard time, I love my 250 ;)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Somewhere inside that biker's beard is a little label that says "gentle wash only, do not tumble dry, Harley-Davidson MotorClothes® Authentic Biker Beard". Probably on the way home from his accounting job feeling extra rebellious.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
I'll always give harley guys completely ridiculously unnecessary waves when they refuse to wave back while riding. I've seen a harley guy coming put my hand out, on a straight road and we were the only two on it, he looked at it, then just stared me in the eyes and did what I can only assume was his best attempt at a "I'm a toughguy" face right at me. So I decided to wave like an idiot and smile really big at him and wave my arm around like a mad man.

He waved back after that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I was riding last week when we had a >60º day in Chicagoland when something happened to me.

I'm riding down the street in full gear in my Ninja 250 not doing anything stupid, just riding, and coming toward me in the opposite lane is a stereotypical "big harley biker guy". Usually, I'll do the customary wave at other bikers, but I only reserve the wave for sport bikes. This isn't because I have a problem with Harley riders or non-sport bikes, but because the culture rift is so wide.

Anyways, as I'm approaching the harley biker coming toward me, complete with long beard, bandana, leathers and all, he looks over at me. I then begin to look over at him, waiting to see if he's going to wave. Well, the next thing that happened was a first for me.

The Harley biker raised his hand and flipped me the bird as he passed me.

WHAT THE gently caress? I kind of laughed to myself for a minute because it's so petty and ridiculous. I didn't realize the culture rift had gotten to the point of hostility. Has this happened to anyone else?

Don't bring yourself down to their level. gently caress the "culture rift." Wave at everyone. We're all bikers. Maybe if more people did this, there wouldn't be a rift.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I wave at everyone and always get waves back. Everyone loves a vintage bike. My bike also establishes immediate dominance over the Harley's with its insane noise.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
Hi pals, settle an argument I'm having with a cohort. If you are pushing a bike to its limits or perhaps just pegging it really high in the rev range, you could be said to be "________ing it out".

I say the correct spelling is wringing, as in you're wringing out every ounce of power the bike has. My buddy thinks it's ringing, like you're making the exhaust note ring or something I don't know his argument is stupid and he's wrong and I'm right ... right?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Twenty-Seven posted:

Hi pals, settle an argument I'm having with a cohort. If you are pushing a bike to its limits or perhaps just pegging it really high in the rev range, you could be said to be "________ing it out".

I say the correct spelling is wringing, as in you're wringing out every ounce of power the bike has. My buddy thinks it's ringing, like you're making the exhaust note ring or something I don't know his argument is stupid and he's wrong and I'm right ... right?

I would agree with you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Twenty-Seven posted:

I've always heard it as "wringing it's neck". It wouldn't make sense to "ring it's neck". You wring the throttle, you don't ring the throttle.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I think it's wring as well. With a made up saying you can use ring as well (or anything else for that matter) but then you would be dumb.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

verb: twist, squeeze, or compress in order to extract liquid

Pretty drat accurate.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

verb: twist, squeeze, or compress in order to extract liquid

Pretty drat accurate.

Isn't exhaust some sort of liquid? :science:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I wave to EVERYONE. And when I don't get a wave I wave even harder.
My first wave is a finger pointing to the ground which is customary round these parts :clint:

(texas)

But gently caress the riders in New Mexico, not a single one waved back on the way home from Albuquerque.

They all got stupid insane waves from me :)

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Even the brain-bucket sporting weekend harley crowd seemed to consistently waive back at me this weekend. I think they were all as happy as I've been with the beautiful weather we've had the last couple days in Texas.

sklnd fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Twenty-Seven posted:

Wringing, as in wringing the towel. The term comes from how you operate a bike. When you let the clutch out with your left hand and turn the throttle with your right you're "wringing the towel". The same term applies to the opposite motion of pulling in the clutch and turning back the throttle when you come to a stop.