Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Sooo... any tips for introducing rabbits and cats? We just brought a new cat in and at this point they're just sort of ignoring each other, occasionally looking as if they might touch noses through their cage. When we first brought Issy home one of the buns would catch her close, everybody would stalk close to the edge of the cage until someone made a sudden move then everybody scrambled, so progress has been made I suppose. I haven't allowed anyone access without wire between them so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

munchies posted:

Are they going to keep going bonkers and eating this hay like its their last meal or will this wear off?

As far as I know, the more hay they eat the better, so aside from the price of the hay I wouldn't be worrying a whole lot about that. And that reddish rabbit, as well as the other one that got posted by PoconoHermit earlier, is really pretty. Is he/she as soft as they look?

On a semi related note my friend's rabbit apparently has been eating a lot less hay in the last few days, but doesn't seem to be at all sick and will still happily eat her pellets and veggies. Is it normal for rabbits to go through phases of eating less hay?

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster
I got Hazel some pumpkin, corn husks and other veggies. I wanted to report back in and post a pic of him eating my concoction. He went right after the pumpkin (go figure) but left the husk sitting. He might have chewed at it a bit overnight, but I can't say for sure. Our other bun, Kiwi, certainly jumped on it this morning when I pulled it out from under their cage border.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

When I went away for a few days (for a wedding, awww!) my roomie was kind enough to take care of the buns... and give them (separate) photoshoots! I may be a little biased, but I think my buns are the most beautiful in the world. :3:

Frith:

Zen:

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

munchies posted:

Oxbow and Rabbit Pics

Those rabbits look like a big version of Sprout. Are they normal Rex's? I know my mini rex is the softest animal I've ever had.

Also, where did you get the Oxbow? I'm looking to introduce that for our rabbit (and the soon to be second rabbit in May), and was wondering where the best deal to be had was for the 50 pounds.

munchies
Feb 2, 2003

They're normal Rex's as far as I know. Definitely as soft as they look, gotta love that Rex fur. I bought it all at Pet Food Direct. I shopped around a bunch and they had the best shipping price. Other stores might have had better prices for the food and hay themselves but high shipping costs negated the cost savings. I was happy with the service at PFD, only took 3 days to ship.

Also, Firth is definitley one of cutest white bunny's I've ever seen! I love the happy-hopping pic. Zen is very cute too.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

munchies posted:

They're normal Rex's as far as I know. Definitely as soft as they look, gotta love that Rex fur. I bought it all at Pet Food Direct. I shopped around a bunch and they had the best shipping price. Other stores might have had better prices for the food and hay themselves but high shipping costs negated the cost savings. I was happy with the service at PFD, only took 3 days to ship.

Thanks, going to order up 50 pounds of Oxbow Timothy Hay tonight since I'm getting low on my Kaytee stuff. Here's just hoping she likes it but seeing as everyone else says their bunnies go nuts for it I don't think it'll be a waste.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

My rabbit is getting older now, almost 11, so I just wanted to double check on if this is normal behavior. First he tends to poop just outside of this cage, where he sits a lot when not caged. I moved his room litter box(not the one in his cage) there and he doesn't seem to use it. He doesn't pee outside his cage but it seems more than just marking and there are 2 litter boxes within a couple feet.
He also licks the carpet outside his cage sometimes too, not chew or dig though. Don't know what that could mean.
He stretches a lot, big stretches with his head/body on the floor. I assume this has to do with age. He is still pretty active though.

Are black oil sunflower seeds ok for rabbits as a treat? I ran out of normal ones and have a bag lying around.

As a house rabbit how often should his nails be clipped? Is there anything he might play with to wear down nails?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Yay, spring is nearly finally here and the side of the house is clear and fenced and walled off for Mo and Cowslip. But the place is coated with loving weeds. We don't spray, and I don't think the neighbor does, but do I need to worry about the weeds being toxic for my buns, if they decide to chew them up?

And apparently Momiji is cool with mice. We have a mouse room in the house, and once in a while we get an escapee. Most we catch, some the dogs do, or the cat does; one very smart mouse took up residence with the rabbits. I don't know where he was during the day, but come night he was racing from level to level and eating whatever the rabbits didn't touch. Mo didn't even look at the mouse; Cowslip was on my side for once and would chase the drat thing away. Finally caught the mouse, and no harm was done.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

CampingCarl posted:

My rabbit is getting older now, almost 11, so I just wanted to double check on if this is normal behavior. First he tends to poop just outside of this cage, where he sits a lot when not caged. I moved his room litter box(not the one in his cage) there and he doesn't seem to use it. He doesn't pee outside his cage but it seems more than just marking and there are 2 litter boxes within a couple feet.
He also licks the carpet outside his cage sometimes too, not chew or dig though. Don't know what that could mean.
He stretches a lot, big stretches with his head/body on the floor. I assume this has to do with age. He is still pretty active though.

Are black oil sunflower seeds ok for rabbits as a treat? I ran out of normal ones and have a bag lying around.

As a house rabbit how often should his nails be clipped? Is there anything he might play with to wear down nails?

Older rabbits do often become incontinent, especially if they are developing arthritis and having a harder time reaching down to eat cecals or jumping into the box comfortably. You might consider a vet visit to have a senior blood panel and an x ray series to check for degenerative joint changes; if he does have arthritis, an NSAID could drastically improve his comfort level.

In general I wouldn't feed sunflower seeds at all, especially to a senior. They're too fatty. Try fresh sprigs of herbs (basil, cilantro, parsley) instead.

There's nothing that can wear down nails by play because they don't use their feet that way, unless he's a digger, and that would unevenly wear the fronts and not the backs or dewclaws. Just trim them as often as they get a little long - I usually trim every time the whites get over 1/8" inch. It can vary from 6 weeks to 2 months depending on the individual rabbit.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

CampingCarl posted:

I don't know if this is relevant but Sprout (not yet a year old) stretches all the time, and licks our sheets and pillows every time she is on the bed (three times a day or more).

Also we clip her nails ever 2-3 months or so, but I've heard you need to do it less when they are older since the nails don't grow as fast.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

CampingCarl posted:

Bowser is also a senior with major litterbox issues (but no arthritis or any other joint pain)- you can read a bit about her retarded pooping/peeing/laying in it habits earlier in the thread.

Anyway, she's also gotten to be quite licky as she's gotten older. She used to be a chewer, now she just grooms everything. I like this switch, especially when she licks me. Usually it's just things she likes, especially if they're velvety.

I dunno what it is about her, but Bowser's nails just do not seem to grow much. Every time I go to trim them, I find she doesn't really need it.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

alucinor posted:

Older rabbits do often become incontinent, especially if they are developing arthritis and having a harder time reaching down to eat cecals or jumping into the box comfortably.

I'm not so sure about arthritis since besides stretching every time he comes out of his cage, he is pretty active and frequently jumps to the bed a couple feet from the floor.

MollyMonster
Jan 28, 2009
If you want Oxbow hay, check your nearest feed-n-seed or mom&pop pet store! I get Gus's Oxbow hay there for really cheap. Here's a store location link if it helps: http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/contact/find_products/store_locator

I also order my Mazuri feed there...no shipping!

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Frith loves to lick the sheets when he's flopped on my bed. The first time he did it I moved my foot and found a gigantic wet spot and was a bit perplexed.

Now I just try to stick my hand under his face when he does it to distract him. It's pretty cute though. :)

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Does anyone here have experience with buying hay in bulk? We've just been informed by our vet that we need to be feeding our buns more hay, so we're thinking about maybe going with the 9lb bag from oxbow. How long would this keep for?

Tots fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 7, 2009

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
yesterday I brushed my bunnies for the first time in a long time with the Furminator. Holy gently caress. Bitsy was just like. Whatever. She doesn't really need to be groomed that much anyway. But Paterson went nuts. I had someone helping me and I guess he's like the bunny whisperer or something because he got Paterson to just keep his cool after a little while.
but yes, Paterson. He must have a trillion layers of hair because we groomed a whole rabbit out of him! There was SO MUCH HAIR. He looks skinnier now. It's amazing.
not amazing was the huge piece of dried poop we found attached to his leg / bum. It was really depressing. Since he never lets us hold him or even really touch him that much I don't even know how long it's been there for. We cut it off of his hair and stuff but I still feel really bad. Guys, it was huge. I'm so glad that we found it though. It probably really bugged him.

I'm probably going to take them to the vet on Friday so I'll tell him about that and he can check to make sure everything is going well / no infections or anything from where the pooball was.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Tots posted:

Does anyone here have experience with buying hay in bulk? We've just been informed by our vet that we need to be feeding our buns more hay, so we're thinking about maybe going with the 9lb bag from oxbow. How long would this keep for?

As long as you're not in a moist environment, hay lasts a LONG time. I buy about 300 lbs at a time, which lasts me about 4 months, and the last box is always still as fresh as the first. The only time I've ever seen a problem was with a foster parent who bought a 50 lb box and took nearly a year to go through it - by the end of the year the hay was brittle and dusty, but certainly still edible.

munchies
Feb 2, 2003

Tots posted:

Since you are saying "buns" pluarl, I'm going to assume you have more than 1 bun. 9lbs will last you at, maybe 2-3 months.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Edit: posted thread instead.

Scooty Puff Jr. fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 9, 2009

Egad!
Feb 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Rocco got fixed today! Rocco is also a she! My roommate's mom was convinced it was a he. The vet would like to disagree with the evidence of the removed lady bits.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Egad! posted:

Rocco got fixed today! Rocco is also a she! My roommate's mom was convinced it was a he. The vet would like to disagree with the evidence of the removed lady bits.

God good luck with that I went through spaying a she a month ago this Thursday and the first two days were brutal. Expect her to just sit around and not want to do much of anything in the comfiest corner her cage has.

Also, thanks MollyMonster for showing me the oxbow site, I found a place within 15 minutes that has the 50 pounder for $52 bucks!

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
This thread inspired my girlfriend and I to adopt a bunny over a year ago and I thought I'd finally post. I made a musical video montage as a tribute to our bunny, Douglas:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/edc7b858a0/douglas-can-t-stop-sneezin

I synched up footage of him sneezing with hits in the song (its from mario kart), and also included some footage of him "pushing" the blanket on our bed, which is something he is obsessed with doing.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

angelicism posted:

This rabbit is gorgeous, I've seen a lot of white rabbits, but never one that reminded me so strongly of Margaret Wise Brown's characters :3: It made me feel warm inside

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
I have a question about spayed/neutered rabbits.

The rescue rabbit I have is presumed to be a boy, going to check this just as soon as he gets comfortable with me.

Is there any way I can visually tell whether he is neutered? Or do I have to wait for his first vet visit (couple weeks, most likely) before I know.

We're starting to think about finding him a companion, but can't until we know his specs.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Is there any way I can visually tell whether he is neutered?

Well, if he's not neutered, you'll sure know it - big pink balls, one on either side of his crotch. ;)

If he was neutered recently, you may see big pink flabby empty scroti in the same location.

But if he's really a female or was neutered several years ago, it may require the vet to tell. Theoretically, sexing is easy, but I always seem to get butch females or femme males who make it hard to tell for sure.

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

:< Everyones bunnies are too cute. I had one when I was younger.

His name was Fluffy (creative, I know) and I would sneak him inside the house to run around in my room, and hide treats everywhere.
My parents didn't like him being inside but he seemed to like it. :3
I went overseas with my aunt, and when I came back I went out to his hutch in the backyard to see him. The wire of his hutch had been ripped up, and there was fur everywhere.
Apparently a dog had gotten into our yard and killed him.
I miss him a lot, but I don't think I'll be getting another rabbit again, unless I can keep it inside all the time.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Relayer posted:

This thread inspired my girlfriend and I to adopt a bunny over a year ago and I thought I'd finally post. I made a musical video montage as a tribute to our bunny, Douglas:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/edc7b858a0/douglas-can-t-stop-sneezin

I synched up footage of him sneezing with hits in the song (its from mario kart), and also included some footage of him "pushing" the blanket on our bed, which is something he is obsessed with doing.

Hah, mine does that too with blankets and pillows. I have absolutely no idea why. Trying to straighten things out? Who knows.

munchies
Feb 2, 2003

It's called bunching. It's what rabbits in the wild do to clear out dirt from their rabbit hole. I guess their domesticated counterparts see those blankets and try to smooth it all out. One of my rabbits occasionally does it if I have a big pile of blanket. The bigger the better in her eyes.

munchies
Feb 2, 2003

candid camera:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

tomorrow I'm taking my ribbits to the vet. It's probably going to be a 30 minute trek on public transit. A lot of it will be heated and whatever but if we have to wait outside or whatever is there anything that I can do to keep their carrying case warm? With the two of them, their travelling towels and some hay in there I think they will be able to keep it warm. Maybe I'll put the case near our heater so it can pick up some of the heat itself during the night. I was thinking of putting a blanket around it or something, too.
if it's too cold I'll just take a cab but the public transit option is one I really like, none the less.

munchies
Feb 2, 2003

I've kept rabbits outside in the dead of winter and they're fine. In my opionin, I think your rabbits will be OK. I see that you are in Toronto with a high of 43*F tomorrow.
Make sure they have hay and they will keep each other warm by snuggling. If you're that concerned put a blanket in with them.
Another thing I like to do when I am traveling with rabbits is to make sure you keep (their favorite) food at hand, they're gonna hate a loud, rumbling bus. I usually just dump a bunch of pellets in there with them because my rabbits LOVE pellets. Keep em happy with food (a happy rabbit is one whom is eating). I wouldn't put the cage next to the heater since that's only going to keep it warm for a few minutes outside and rabbits don't like dramatic changes in temp.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

luscious posted:

tomorrow I'm taking my ribbits to the vet. It's probably going to be a 30 minute trek on public transit. A lot of it will be heated and whatever but if we have to wait outside or whatever is there anything that I can do to keep their carrying case warm? With the two of them, their travelling towels and some hay in there I think they will be able to keep it warm. Maybe I'll put the case near our heater so it can pick up some of the heat itself during the night. I was thinking of putting a blanket around it or something, too.
if it's too cold I'll just take a cab but the public transit option is one I really like, none the less.

Yeah, I had a bunny when I was a kid that we kept in an outdoor enclosure year round and she was fine, even in like a foot of snow. They're adapted to it pretty well, I'm just surprised they aren't too hot all the time indoors.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Brought home the Oxbow hay lat night, Sprout was a little curious at first and just nibbled some of the fuzzy tipped pieces, but by the end of the night she was mowing down like crazy on the stuff, and seems to eat a lot more of it as a whole whereas she would pick out pieces of the Kaytee Timothy Hay that she wouldn't eat.

munchies
Feb 2, 2003

yeah Oxbow hay is bunny crack, mine go nutso for it. I'm pretty happy with the quality except that there is lots of hay "dust" in between the "layers" in the 50lb box I give it to them anyways and I see them licking it up, is there any harm that could come from this? My rabbits eat ALL the Oxbow, which is nice because before with the Lowe's hay they would pick out pieces that they'd eat and leave the rest for me to clean up. Makes clean up much easier now, since I don't have to worry about vacuuming up the hay anymore just the poo and cleaning the litter boxes. That said, a shop vac (with the 2.5" hose that cannot be clogged) is one of the best investments I've made for my rabbits.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

munchies posted:

That said, a shop vac (with the 2.5" hose that cannot be clogged) is one of the best investments I've made for my rabbits.

I just got a heavy-duty roomba meant for garages. I am so in love with it and the lack of hay/poop on the floor without any intervention from me!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

my bunnies are 100% healthy. It's really great and the vet thinks that I'm doing everything perfectly for them. She showed me an estimate bill of things like bloodwork that she thinks I should get done for them and holy hell. It's going to be 1200$ if I do everything that they ask. Obviously I can't even though I want to so we're doing parasite and bloodwork only for now. There's some super huge long name test that they want to do as well but alas. No money for a 260$ test for both of them.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

munchies posted:

That said, a shop vac (with the 2.5" hose that cannot be clogged) is one of the best investments I've made for my rabbits.

I've had no problem clogging that with picking up hay. I keep a bent coat hanger on hand to abort the clogs. But, I'd rather have wear and tear on a shopvac than the Dyson! It's one of the best investments I've made as far as rabbit accessories go.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Windy posted:

I've had no problem clogging that with picking up hay. I keep a bent coat hanger on hand to abort the clogs. But, I'd rather have wear and tear on a shopvac than the Dyson! It's one of the best investments I've made as far as rabbit accessories go.

how much was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

luscious posted:

how much was it?

Gosh, it's been four years at least...I think I paid $50 after a discount, and then last year I replaced the filter which cost me $20 at Sears :argh: I love shopvac's though. We bought two last year to vacuum up pebbles from the shore of a lake(long story) and both still work like new.

Unless you meant the Dyson, I got that for just under $400 with a 20% off coupon from Bed Bath and Beyond.