Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tickle monster
Aug 20, 2006
is in your closet
It's not out yet, but anyone want to voice their opinion on Heroes of Might and Magic? I've been trying to get into older PC RPG's as well as the turn based strategy genre, and after playing through the original Elder Scrolls and trying the demos for Disciples II and King's Bounty, I really think the original Heroes of Might and Magic is something I'd enjoy. However, if it's really archaic/inaccessible or the sequels (or the aforementioned modern games) really improve on it, then I might skip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is widely considered the best in the series. It's still fairly accessible and really is quite awesome. Heroes of Might and Magic 5 is the modern one with 3D graphics, and plays almost exactly the same as 3, but can be a bit buggy.

They should just release HOMM 1 - 4 in a single $10 or $15 pack, I'm not sure I'd ever want to pay for only the first one (or any one of the first 4, for that matter).

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Ubisoft was the HUGE publisher announcement? Yawn.

Still, the bonus stuff is always cool, and its nice for anyone outside the U.S. who can't buy them on Steam.

GreenNight posted:

Gonna go ahead and add this to the OP! :)

Edit: All updated.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 26, 2009

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

When I heard the new publisher to hit GoG was Ubisoft, I was hoping for some, you know, old games from them. Not last-generation stuff. Or in the case of Farcry, a game that isn't even 5 years old yet.

Oh well. At least Heroes of Might and Magic shows we might be getting more of the older stuff.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
The fact that they got Ubisoft to agree to no-DRM distribution is in itself something of a miracle. I agree, though, some older Ubi titles might be cool. We may see them yet, though.

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Wearing a Monocle Since 1987
As a huge fan of Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon this is amazing news! :haw: I hope they'll bring all the other R6 and GR games soon as well.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
This is especially big news because Ubi is a major player. More may follow.

I love BG&E and Sands of Time, but I have them both for consoles, so I'm unlikely to re-buy them. How interested should I be in IL-2?

I'm pretty excited about the pending release of the original Rainbow 6. I've liked some other games in the series okay but none of them have been anything like the first game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This just popped up in the Steam thread:

quote:

Ubisoft Classics Pack - $9.99

* Dark Messiah: Might and Magic (normally $9.99)
* Far Cry (normally $9.99)
* Beyond Good and Evil (normally $9.99)
* IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 (normally $9.99)

Kinda takes the thunder out of having the Ubisoft games on GOG.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GrandpaPants posted:

This just popped up in the Steam thread:

Kinda takes the thunder out of having the Ubisoft games on GOG.

Wow, talk about calculated moves, huh?

Gaph
May 15, 2007

That's rough. I guess the only advantage GOG has is that it's region free, as in not restricted to North America only? Or has that changed on Steam?

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Gaph posted:

That's rough. I guess the only advantage GOG has is that it's region free, as in not restricted to North America only? Or has that changed on Steam?

And not having a client like Steam to get in the way of things when you want to install and play games on a laptop or something.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
And you get the bonus items. And you're supporting a cooler cause.

Gaph
May 15, 2007

Yeah I'd rather get the games from GOG but it's still hard to argue with $9.99 for all that. I think GOG might have something up their sleeve though, something similar maybe. Landing Ubisoft was a big deal for them and it's their 100 game milestone.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Well, but also I don't think the two services are meant to be overlapping that much. It's inevitable, given that any publisher who goes the digital distribution route will probably want to put their games on as many services as possible, but the original purpose of GOG is to provide good old games. Obviously, that's open to interpretation, but I think everybody can agree that games like Far Cry and Sands of Time aren't really the sort of thing that GOG was designed for. Not that it's a bad thing to have them available for people who just don't or can't buy them on Steam.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

404notfound posted:

Well, but also I don't think the two services are meant to be overlapping that much. It's inevitable, given that any publisher who goes the digital distribution route will probably want to put their games on as many services as possible, but the original purpose of GOG is to provide good old games. Obviously, that's open to interpretation, but I think everybody can agree that games like Far Cry and Sands of Time aren't really the sort of thing that GOG was designed for. Not that it's a bad thing to have them available for people who just don't or can't buy them on Steam.

The more games the better. Them not having any DRM makes them a much more worthwhile purchase from GOG rather than getting them elsewhere.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Gaph posted:

Well, that ubisoft pack is NA only. :argh:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Charlie Mopps posted:

Well, that ubisoft pack is NA only. :argh:
Its up on Steam for £9 now.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Hey, if they managed to get Ubisoft in on this, that means there's a possibility for EA, right?

Right?

der bruder
Jul 9, 2007

Eat My Phở

Vidmaster posted:

Personally I'm hoping for the original Rayman, that was a fun game.

Agreeing wit this, Rayman was a great old game!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm really hoping we see Rogue Spear soon. I've never actually played it but was told it's basically Rainbow Six with better levels.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I want Severance: Blade of Darkness and I will not be satisfied until it appears.
(The CD copy keeps crashing on my computer :( )

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm really hoping we see Rogue Spear soon. I've never actually played it but was told it's basically Rainbow Six with better levels.

The best Rainbow Six imo. It was R6 with better missions and a hell of a lot more weapons.

I really enjoyed those matches with shotguns only with rubber pellets. It also helped that most people didn't know you had to load 1 shell at a time so that while they were empty, I'd run over and unload my shells. Also, grenade only matches were fantastic.

I'd like to see Blade of Darkness as well. I remember getting pretty far in it and I just stopped playing it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/good-old-games-interview

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Interesting read. It's good to see they have a goal of having a huge selection of classic PC games, have the correct approach to piracy, and the process they go through to finding copyright owners.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
They just released Septerra Core.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

FLX posted:

They just released Septerra Core.

For anyone tempted, my advice is to avoid. It's like a JRPG without the good bits. Anachronox was much the same, but at least that had a fun story and characters to tie it together.

(Insert standard 'Good bits? Ahahahahahahahaha' reply here).

Tangentially, for anyone wanting something (new) in the genre, The Last Remnant recently re-launched on the PC (after an effectively botched/beta-ish 360 release, crippled by horrible technical problems), and Gamespot re-reviewed it and gave it a solid 8/10.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 31, 2009

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The 360 release is fine if installed to hard drive, but that's neither here nor there.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Dominic White posted:

For anyone tempted, my advice is to avoid. It's like a JRPG without the good bits. Anachronox was much the same, but at least that had a fun story and characters to tie it together.

(Insert standard 'Good bits? Ahahahahahahahaha' reply here).

Tangentially, for anyone wanting something (new) in the genre, The Last Remnant recently re-launched on the PC (after an effectively botched/beta-ish 360 release, crippled by horrible technical problems), and Gamespot re-reviewed it and gave it a solid 8/10.

Man, I wanted to play Septerra Core ever since it came out. I'm getting it anyway, if I hate it I'll just give it to my wife's younger brother, he's got all the time in the world and he's into RPGs right now.

I'm actually totally stoked about The Last Remnant coming out on PC, I might buy that today. Haven't played a good Square JRPG since the PS1, I was not excited by anything they did on the PS2.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

GreenNight posted:

The 360 release is fine if installed to hard drive, but that's neither here nor there.

Well, not to get horribly off-topic, the PC version has more content, more features, a lot of rebalanced stuff and the load-times are reduced to almost nothing. Texture popin (especially after a little .ini tweak) is much improved too.

It runs at about 60fps solid for me, 4xAA 16xAF, VSync at 1440x900. Way, way better than the 360 version, even if fully installed (which I did).

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

So far the only games I've gotten are the two old fallout games. I remember Septerra Core being released and getting bad reviews.

Dominic White posted:

Well, not to get horribly off-topic, the PC version has more content, more features, a lot of rebalanced stuff and the load-times are reduced to almost nothing. Texture popin (especially after a little .ini tweak) is much improved too.

It runs at about 60fps solid for me, 4xAA 16xAF, VSync at 1440x900. Way, way better than the 360 version, even if fully installed (which I did).

Hmmm...you've got me interested. Guess I'll check out the official thread and decide if its worth a buy.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Very interesting. I picked up Giants yesterday and am considering more.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Got Sept. Core, Cannon Fodder, and Beyond Good and Evil. So far I've got Freespace 2, Fallout Tactics, Stonekeep, Sacred Gold, the above three, and the two freebies. Loving this service, it's really the best on the net for direct downloads (well, there's Steam, I've nothing against it, but I love the extras with GOG and the lack of DRM is awesome).

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I already have Beyond Good & Evil for the Xbox, but it looks like it's not backwards-compatible with the 360. How are the PC controls? I don't have a gamepad at the moment, but I might get one if it sucks with the keyboard+mouse controls and is awesome with a gamepad. I saw some bitching on the GOG forums and I'm wondering what I'd be getting into, and I trust you guys a bit more than the GOG forums.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
I didn't have any trouble with the controls on the PC. Just make sure that you don't have CPU throttling software as the game doesn't like that. I didn't think about that and ended up playing through the whole game at 2.2x regular speed. I've also heard that you need to force it to run on only one core. But no problems with the controls.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

guppy posted:

I already have Beyond Good & Evil for the Xbox, but it looks like it's not backwards-compatible with the 360. How are the PC controls? I don't have a gamepad at the moment, but I might get one if it sucks with the keyboard+mouse controls and is awesome with a gamepad. I saw some bitching on the GOG forums and I'm wondering what I'd be getting into, and I trust you guys a bit more than the GOG forums.

Haven't even had time to install it yet, though I use a PS2 gamepad for everything I'll give it a shot with the mouse and keyboard first to see how it plays for you. It'll be Friday at the earliest, though, because I've got deadlines hanging over me like an evening at the gallows.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
When I first saw this thread a few months back I wasn't all that impressed. However, I now realize that I was missing what is possibly the best part of this (along with the lack of DRM): everything works on XP/Vista. This has been the big roadblock in me playing all these old games.

That's right, someone's taken the time to go through and get all these to work on modern platforms. Who does that? A person who deserves my money, that's who.

Redneck Rampage up first...MDK/MDK2 soon to follow.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Teenagent for $0. Oh, yes. :)

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Zat posted:

It's their 100th release, good for them. Can't say I've ever heard of Teenagent though. Free though so you can't go wrong.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Zat posted:

Wow, I played a demo of this many, many years ago... I didn't even play it all that long, I'm surprised I knew what game it was the second I saw the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

GoG.com posted:

If the free game for the 100th release on GOG.com wasn't enough of surprise for you, we're giving you a sneak peek at our new feature - Virtual Game Shelf 2.0

From time to time, Destro is tossing some info about the upcoming "Update 2", but it seems we'll see a cool, new feature before the big update will launch. GOG.com's Design&Development Team is proud to give you the first look at brand new Virtual Game Shelf in version 2.0. Now your shelf will get covered in dust and litter with trash, the games you play the most will get your fingerprints on their boxes and if you won't look after your shelf, spiders will spin their webs. Luckily you'll have an anti-dust spray to keep everything fresh and clean and you'll be able to add a personal touch by placing your favourite action figure or a teddy bear from your girlfriend.

Goons should be very familiar with this idea except for the girlfriend part m i rite guys?