Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
God drat. I thought you guys were just being whiny about 5-2 until I got there. poo poo it's annoying. It'd not be so bad if the enemies were also slowed by the muck, but of course they're not. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
All I have left to do is 5-2 and 1-4 but I can't get anywhere on either. I can't dodge in 5-2 and my character is a thief so he can't really just stand there and fight. 1-4 is just bullshit. This is the first time I've really gotten "stuck".

Drakkarim
May 4, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Okay, so where is Selen Vinland supposed to be when 5-2 is fully Black?

I just killed the Primeval Demon of 5-2 and got my Colorless Demon's Soul for it, but I can't find BP Selen. I need to kill her in order to get Blind for the Soldier's Trophy (1 of 6 Uniques left to get) but I'm not finding her at this supposed "island right after the Fog Door"

If they appear in the same spot they do when pure white, it's just past the first fog door in 5-2. If you look to the right, you should see a candle on the island she is on as well as an item if you haven't picked it up yet.

I tried doing the pure white version where she is supposed to give you a quest involving Garl Vinland but it didn't seem to work. I talked to her, then fought Garl and Astraea but didn't get Brand or the Crest.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Drakkarim posted:

If they appear in the same spot they do when pure white, it's just past the first fog door in 5-2. If you look to the right, you should see a candle on the island she is on as well as an item if you haven't picked it up yet.

I tried doing the pure white version where she is supposed to give you a quest involving Garl Vinland but it didn't seem to work. I talked to her, then fought Garl and Astraea but didn't get Brand or the Crest.

I think you can only do the Selen side-quest after you defeat Astraea.

Thank you though, I found out that I was like 0.5 from pure Black and died one more time to get there. I gotta say, trying to get to Selen is harder than fighting her! Every route is blocked by Black Phantom big Trolls! It's a total nightmare!

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Policenaut posted:

I think you can only do the Selen side-quest after you defeat Astraea.

Confirming this. You fight black-phantom Garl in the same place you fight the 5-3 boss, so you have to clear the 5-3 boss out first.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Okay, can someone tell me where the Rune Sword is in 3-2? I can't go and kill the Black Phantom Ostrava because I'm at the very end of the game and he doesn't show up anymore because of it (that and I don't want to spend like 6 hours getting the Tendancy to Black in World 1)

The wiki says "side of the Boss' tower" but I have no clue where that is.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Quick 3-1 question -- how do I get past this giant crossbow tower?

EDIT: Or maybe more to the point, where do I get the Jailer's Key? Sounds like it's supposed to be down on the 1st floor, but I'm not seeing it, and haven't yet picked it up.b

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 29, 2009

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Squint posted:

Confirming this. You fight black-phantom Garl in the same place you fight the 5-3 boss, so you have to clear the 5-3 boss out first.

Well gently caress.

I said gently caress it and didn't bother doing it when I had gotten to 5-3 and she still hadn't appeared, so I killed Astraea and moved on. Now my tendency for 5 has fallen from pure white, and it's impossible for me to get it back up. :smith:

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Policenaut posted:

Okay, can someone tell me where the Rune Sword is in 3-2? I can't go and kill the Black Phantom Ostrava because I'm at the very end of the game and he doesn't show up anymore because of it (that and I don't want to spend like 6 hours getting the Tendancy to Black in World 1)

The wiki says "side of the Boss' tower" but I have no clue where that is.
Spawn at the start of the level. go forward until you enter the big tower where you can go either left up some stairs or right. Choose right. Run until you reach the exit where there is a stair going down to your right or a little platform in front of you. Go to the edge of this platform. Do a 180. The item you see above you on the side of the tower is the rune sword and shield.

To get to it, re-enter the tower. Walk past the opening you used to enter the first time. Climb the stairs. Once you reach the top of the stairs (but before you climb the Maneater stairs) start to investigate where you could drop down. I don't remember the spot exactly, sorry, but by now you should be able to find it by yourself.

Dantes fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 29, 2009

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Quick 3-1 question -- how do I get past this giant crossbow tower?

EDIT: Or maybe more to the point, where do I get the Jailer's Key? Sounds like it's supposed to be down on the 1st floor, but I'm not seeing it, and haven't yet picked it up.b
I'm afraid you will have to go play with the giant the crossbow. I think the key is the first and only item you can reach safely in its field of fire.

Dantes fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 29, 2009

Drakkarim
May 4, 2005

Squint posted:

I was worried he might be gone since I killed him before Astraea, but he showed up. And apparently he's one of the very few things in the Valley that can be plagued. His full heal spell only restored about 1/8th of his life while infected and he kept trying to cast it when his health was almost out.

Edit: Baby's Nail is proving to be invaluable. Selen can get infected and will spend the rest of the fight rolling away and trying to cast cure instead of attacking. Once she's been rolled into a corner she can't escape from the fight becomes trivial. Also, gently caress BP Giant Trolls. gently caress them right in the rear end.

Drakkarim fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 29, 2009

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
What are the fog doors actually for? They don't appear to do anything when you touch them apart from disappearing.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Got this in Friday, was sick all day, Saturday night went over to a friend's place and we booted it up for the first time. My friend made a knight and got all the way to this huge dragon guy (dying about 7 times getting there) before we gave up and played something else.

Right after he put in an order with NCSX :)

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Sunday Punch posted:

What are the fog doors actually for? They don't appear to do anything when you touch them apart from disappearing.
I asked the same thing on IRC and was told they are basically checkpoints for multiplayer.

Crusty Juggler
Mar 26, 2009

I must admit, this game has had my interest piqued since the moment the first topic was made. I love the look of it, and from the rest of the goons have been saying, it's a solid game. Been seriously considering ordering it soon. I do have a question, though: Does the game start bone-crushingly hard, or does it sort of rise in difficulty gradually, but that difficulty is higher than most games?

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

ActionPlatypus posted:

I must admit, this game has had my interest piqued since the moment the first topic was made. I love the look of it, and from the rest of the goons have been saying, it's a solid game. Been seriously considering ordering it soon. I do have a question, though: Does the game start bone-crushingly hard, or does it sort of rise in difficulty gradually, but that difficulty is higher than most games?

If you're extremely cautious, move slowly while really taking in your surroundings and make sure to never underestimate even the simplest of enemies, then the difficulty ramps up nicely... until New Game+. If you try to play it like any other action game, you'll get destroyed.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

ActionPlatypus posted:

My 2 cents. The game is very hard but not insanely so like Ninja Gaiden or God Hand. What makes it REALLY hard is that it is just so different from other gaems that you basically have to adopt an entirely new playstyle to get anywhere due to the save system, death penalty, enemy strength, etc. There really is no "uber build" in this game, and you really have to seriously consider at many points whether you want to press on or go back and spend your souls. Once you figure the game out it goes from extremely hard to merely harder than average. The difficulty is pretty constant throughout the game, it's your skill and understanding that fluctuates.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
This game is the first in long time to really get me engaged and get my adrenaline flowing. Knowing the severe consequences of death, and how quickly it can come if you screw up makes the combat really intense. Beating the blue knight guarding the fog door on top of the battlements in 1-1 after he had killed me 4 or 5 times left me with my heart pumping and a sense of accomplishment that I don't get from a game where death means reloading a quicksave from 30 seconds ago.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
Well, you guys have convinced me. Just put in my order through PlayAsia and now have to wait for it while looking at the screenshots in the OP.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Drakkarim posted:

I was worried he might be gone since I killed him before Astraea, but he showed up. And apparently he's one of the very few things in the Valley that can be plagued. His full heal spell only restored about 1/8th of his life while infected and he kept trying to cast it when his health was almost out.

Edit: Baby's Nail is proving to be invaluable. Selen can get infected and will spend the rest of the fight rolling away and trying to cast cure instead of attacking. Once she's been rolled into a corner she can't escape from the fight becomes trivial. Also, gently caress BP Giant Trolls. gently caress them right in the rear end.

Oh wow, and here I thought that Selen was only a complete idiot in my game. I didn't have the luxury of using Plague (Hardcore Blueblood fo' lyfe :c00lbert:) so I had to straight up just slash her to death. Only she just rolled back into a corner and I practically just stabbed her over and over in the middle of her Miracle animation.

BP Giant Trolls are utter nightmares, the only good thing about them is that they drop Stones of Ephemeral Eyes when killed (so it's actually kinda worth it to keep World 5 in Black if you're working on other areas to Black)

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Well gently caress. When my next paycheck comes in, I'm importing this sucker. It's clearly good enough to support two threads on it, and it sounds like a hell of a cooperative experience. I'll see you guys in a week or so...

Nuitari
Jun 17, 2005

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.
So what's the standard non-heavy weapon(s) people are using?

I'm halfway through NG+, and most of the time I've been using a Dragon Sword +6 or so (does about equal damage in both physical and fire). I grabbed some new swords in the last few hours (Makoto, Meat Cleaver, Sword of Searching), and am curious as to what other non-heavy armor wearing characters tend to use. Probably leaning towards Sword of Searching at this point, for the obvious perk it has.

Also what are you mostly melee characters doing with your stats once your hitting the higher lvls (100+)? I've been dividing mostly between Vitality and Endurance at this point. HP and Load, and then Stamina and resistances.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
backpage

havent heard a peep fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 21, 2011

Nuitari
Jun 17, 2005

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.
I have a $10 off coupon from Play-Asia that I won't be using. Valid for roughly 2 more months. For any of you poor or naive goons who have yet to pick up this gem of a game, send me a PM and I'll give you the code.

I also have a $5 coupon around here somewhere I think. That can go to the next quickest person to PM me.

Please don't be a dick and ask for it if you don't plan on using it for Demon's Souls. It will anger the Dragon God and he will burn you alive while you sleep.

Nuitari fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 29, 2009

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Nuitari posted:

I'm halfway through NG+, and most of the time I've been using a Dragon Sword +6 or so (does about equal damage in both physical and fire). I grabbed some new swords in the last few hours (Makoto, Meat Cleaver, Sword of Searching), and am curious as to what other non-heavy armor wearing characters tend to use. Probably leaning towards Sword of Searching at this point, for the obvious perk it has.

Also what are you mostly melee characters doing with your stats once your hitting the higher lvls (100+)? I've been dividing mostly between Vitality and Endurance at this point. HP and Load, and then Stamina and resistances.

I recently reached 100 and I've been putting my Soul Levels into Vitality and Endurance mainly for the fact that I did the "All Stats 20" build and finally started diversifying as a Knight. Since I'm using the Blueblood Sword I'm also pumping Luck up.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
backpage

havent heard a peep fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 21, 2011

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

My order still did not ship from play asia, and i placed it on february 12, anyone have any idea if play asia are screwing me over or is everyone with a play asia pre-order still waiting on theirs as well?

I also have a $10 coupon i might as well donate.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Oh loving gently caress me.

While standing next to Blacksmith Ed, I accidentally dropped my controller. I caught it, but in doing so, hit him twice with my Claymore. Now he just beats my rear end, and I can no longer talk to him.

Any way to reset that? gently caress. Had all the stuff for my Large Sword of Searching, too...

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Have you tried leaving the area then going back? I know that resets them in the Nexus if you accidentally hit them or roll into them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

What the hell? Has anyone else noticed that apparently some of the NPC Merchants sell different things according to World Tendancy?

Awhile back when I had my Tendancy in Valley of Defilement to Pure Black, the Filthy Woman sold Stones of Ephemeral Eyes (like Patches did) for the tune of 50k souls a pop. I didn't buy any at the time and did my usual Selen/Primeval Demon stuff then decided to save up 150k souls to buy another 3 of them to do the same to Shrine of Storms. Only to go and save up all those souls and visit her to find that at Neutral Tendancy she doesn't sell any! What the hell?!

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
So I've been playing as hybrid mage/fighter, and I was wondering how to get the most out of my magic damage. I did a little testing, and here are the results and my conclusions.

I used firespray and Soullight, and tested on the dregling warriors at the beginning of 1-1

With 21 Magic:

Normal: 61 Firespray, 226 Soullight

W/ Kris +2: 74 Firespray, 267 Soullight

W/ Ring of Sharpness: 76 Firespray, 271 Soullight

W/ Both: 94 Firespray, 320 Soullight

With 22 Magic:

Normal: 62 Firespray, 228 Soullight

W/ Kris +2: 75 Firespray, 269 Soullight

W/ Ring of Sharpness: 77 Firespray, 274 Soullight

W/ Both: 95 Firespray, 323 Soullight

I wanted to also check the turban, but I haven't been able to get one yet. I try and go to 3-3 and use the black stone but I can't. Does it matter that I've already beaten the level?

So it looks like firespray does 3x your magic, minus any resistances, Soullight does 10x minus any resistance. The Kris adds about 20% to your magic attack, the ring adds %25 percent, and when you stack them it goes Damage*Ring*Kris, not damage*(Ring + Kris)

Also, if the normal damage w/ 22 magic against the gargoyles in 3-2 is 14 for firespray and 166 for soullight. Anyone want to try to invade my game to test it out? I feel like the multitude of different resistances make figuring this out rather difficult.

Also, can anybody reccommend a good weapon that has both magic and faith bonuses? The Crescent Falchion has been good to me so far, but I feel like I need a damage increase.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Nuitari posted:

I raised Endurance enough to wear the Ancient King set with my weapons without any encumbrance. After that, I pretty much have been pumping Faith to hilarious levels.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I build my character with a focus on magic. For ever two points in Magic, I put two points into something else. Usually Willpower, Vitality and Endurance. Though, I think I'm going to go on a Strength and Dexterity bender so I don't have to worry about them any more. Probably raise them to the level that is required to wield the White bow then don't worry about them any more for a while.

This works well if you plan on wielding Crescent weaponry.

Drakkarim
May 4, 2005

I've been primarily using the North Regalia and Blueblood Sword, swapping between them depending on whether I need stronger attacks or faster ones. If the monster tends to block a lot or is a blob with a shield in it I'll switch to the Moonlight Sword.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Policenaut posted:

What the hell? Has anyone else noticed that apparently some of the NPC Merchants sell different things according to World Tendancy?

Awhile back when I had my Tendancy in Valley of Defilement to Pure Black, the Filthy Woman sold Stones of Ephemeral Eyes (like Patches did) for the tune of 50k souls a pop. I didn't buy any at the time and did my usual Selen/Primeval Demon stuff then decided to save up 150k souls to buy another 3 of them to do the same to Shrine of Storms. Only to go and save up all those souls and visit her to find that at Neutral Tendancy she doesn't sell any! What the hell?!

She only has 3 total for sale.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She only has 3 total for sale.

But I didn't even buy any from her the first time, I just noticed she had them for sale but then when I went back to buy some she didn't sell them anymore.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

Fizzil posted:

My order still did not ship from play asia, and i placed it on february 12, anyone have any idea if play asia are screwing me over or is everyone with a play asia pre-order still waiting on theirs as well?

I also have a $10 coupon i might as well donate.

I placed my order on March 11th and mine hasn't shipped yet either. It has said "processing" rather than "backordered" since the 12th so I emailed them about it and they said that they didn't even have word from their distributor about when they'd be getting new copies but that my status would be updated when they found out. That email was about two weeks ago and it's still the same.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I recently reached 100 and I've been putting my Soul Levels into Vitality and Endurance mainly for the fact that I did the "All Stats 20" build and finally started diversifying as a Knight. Since I'm using the Blueblood Sword I'm also pumping Luck up.

Wait, what is this All Stats 20 build? Literally 20 in every stat?

Is that actually effective?

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Kessel posted:

Wait, what is this All Stats 20 build? Literally 20 in every stat?

Is that actually effective?

Well, every stat is useful if you try to make use of it. Physical stats can let magical characters take more hits, wear heavier equipment, carry more stuff, and do more physical damage. Magic is a fairly good supplement to any character's arsenal, especially if you have a way to regenerate MP. Luck is obviously useful to everyone. Plus, having 20 in all stats will bring you fairly close to using every weapon in the game, even if you'd have to use some of them two-handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Nuitari posted:

I'm using a Crescent Kilij +4 as my weapon (it's stronger than the Crescent Falchion, assuming you've got the 14 strength to wield it) and switching my offhand between the Adjudicator Shield +2 and Large Sword of Searching depending on my needs.

As for Moving Soul Arrow, it's not the kind of spell you can just use full time, both due to the trickiness factor of the arrows fizzling out if they hit something and the MP cost, but it's very good as burst damage on dangerous enemies. I like to use it on red/phantom enemies (if you've got Hide up you can get into arrow range before they really spot you, and if they're not prepared to block the hits it does huge damage to them very fast) and it worked amazingly well on the 1-3 boss.

It's like Fire Spray in that it lends itself very well to keeping yourself moving out of danger while being able to do magical damage as openings arise - with Fire Spray you're basically locking on and strafing backwards/sideways to avoid attacks. With Moving Soul Arrow you put a bit of distance between yourself and the target, cast it, then when you've got an opening you quickly lock on and dash into range and they'll take the full blow.

• Locked thread