Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Secret Ooze posted:

Ive got Ninja Gaiden 2 on its way right now.

How badly am I about to get my rear end beaten? Especially since I havent played an NG game since the NES days.

Some of the bosses are total pricks, but aside from that its not too bad (at least compared to my only other experience of Ninja Gaiden, Ninja gaiden black (or was it sigma? The one on the PS3) where I played it at a friends house and we died about a dozen times on the first level). I'm crap at this kind of game, and I made it to the (pretty much) last level where you refight a bunch of bosses from earlier before getting frustrated and shelving it. Having said that, I had zero shame in turning the difficulty down to acolyte (or whatever they call easy mode). I normally play games on normal or harder, but for ninja gaiden 2 I made an exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePotato
Dec 29, 2003

There was nothing to fear
Nothing to fear
I'm struggling through Disc 2 of Lost Odyssey (360) and so far, the quality seems to be much worse than Disc 1 in terms of more boring fights and more stupid melodrama. Can someone give me reassurances about the general quality of the game from here on out? Are any neat new gameplay mechanics introduced after, say, the treasure hunter minigame?

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Popcorn posted:

Having said that... I hate to put a downer on your new purchase, but pretty much everyone (myself included) thinks NG1 is far better.

I had a bunch of GameFly coupons to get rid of, so no big loss if it totally blows :v:

It was either this or Too Human, and I really havent heard anything good about that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Popcorn posted:

There's nothing you really need to know. It's a very accessible and intuitive RPG (which is one of the reasons I think it's still the best JRPG ever.)

That's pretty much all I can think of. It's a very svelte and elegant game so the actual gameplay stuff shouldn't require any explanation. Enjoy it; there's no better RPG. (And for my money the boss battle at the end of disc 1 is the best boss fight of all time.)

edit:

It's in there, though it's ambiguous. Watch the intro and end sequences again. Then read some fan sites if you still don't get it.

Do you mean Shelcoof, the big white floating ship thing around disc 3? If so, yeah, you're right. (I forgot you can blow that thing up...)
I guess I'm not remembering the game as well as I'd like. I thought (Saga and Orta)Edge was healed by the "Divine Visitor" (you, the player), and was simply helped/guided along the way by said entity. His mind and personality were still intact, which I don't think would be the case if his body had died and been broken by the shot/fall. Anyway, he seems to "die" at the end as well and Azel is looking for him, though he most certainly survived because the main character in Orta is supposed to be his daughter.

Of course this revealed to me that apparently a lot of Panzer fans don't consider Orta canon, which would throw that out.

Anyway, I do have a lot of love for Panzer Dragoon Saga. My only complaint is that the game is incredibly short. I guess compression technology sucked back then because the game is like 12 hours long with 4 discs. It was really unique though, and if you're going to play one Saturn game I'd strongly recommend it.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 27, 2009

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Nate RFB posted:

I guess I'm not remembering the game as well as I'd like. I thought (Saga and Orta)Edge was healed by the "Divine Visitor" (you, the player), and was simply helped/guided along the way by said entity. His mind and personality were still intact, which I don't think would be the case if his body had died and been broken by the shot/fall. Anyway, he seems to "die" at the end as well and Azel is looking for him, though he most certainly survived because the main character in Orta is supposed to be his daughter.

The way I and I think many fans understand it: in the intro, Edge gets shot and dies. Then you (the divine visitor) enter your name etc; we see a mysterious ball of light go down the chasm and apparently into Edge. This is your (the divine visitor's) entrance into the game world. After the divine visitor resurrects Edge he becomes this sort of puppet figure. This is why we (the player) actually controls Edge-- he thinks he's running around himself, but it's actually us doing it, pressing buttons etc.

Now, you're right that Edge's body is intact, and that clearly he retains his personality and makes many choices himself (ie his actions in cut scenes, dialogue etc). But I don't think this undermines the idea that he is living on borrowed time loaned to him by the divine visitor/the player.) To be honest, I consider the intact-body thing a bit of a plot hole, because whether you buy the divine visitor-death-resurrection idea or not, there's no explanation for why he isn't full of holes. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief on that one. But seeing as there's no explanation otherwise for how he survived the attack at all, let alone unscathed, I think we must assume the divine visitor resurrected him.) As soon as the divine visitor leaves him at the end of the story, he gets sucked into some kind of bizarro alternative dimension/dies/ceases to exist. I think that's significant also.

Yeah, in Orta he is revealed to be Orta's father, though only kind of-- Azel apparently found his DNA in Sestren and used that, making Orta a test tube baby at best (can drones even reproduce?). It's not like Azel found him wandering confused in a parking lot in the astral plane. I think since it's part of the Panzer story proper you have to consider the Orta-fathering stuff canon, but it doesn't really have any impact on Edge's death (or not) in PDS.

quote:

Anyway, I do have a lot of love for Panzer Dragoon Saga. My only complaint is that the game is incredibly short.

I think its length is perfect. I seem to be unlike most people in that it's rare I enjoy a game that lasts more than fifteen hours or so. There's so few mechanics you can design or stories you can tell that don't get repetitive after that amount of time. As I said before, PDS' accessibility is one of the reasons I love it so much, and its neat-and-tidy length is part of that. (None of that accessibility comes at the expense of depth, though-- never found a combat system in an RPG I've liked more.)

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 27, 2009

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think ultimately it's ambiguous, or at least a matter of semantics, as I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying, I just interpret it a bit more optimistically. I'd have loved to have discussed it in more detail back when I played it and could remember details.

I'm not sure if the fandom views Saga's departure from the style of the other Panzer games as the Zelda II of the series and dislikes it, but I loved the battle system and I'm not sure I'd get the same out of the shooters the other games are.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not sure if the fandom views Saga's departure from the style of the other Panzer games as the Zelda II of the series and dislikes it, but I loved the battle system and I'm not sure I'd get the same out of the shooters the other games are.

Oh, PDS is definitely the jewel of the series and the fans love it. Fanbases (even small ones) tend to come out of the lore of fantasy worlds, and seeing as PDS is the only game in the series with a meaningful story, it's the one the fans spend all their time talking about.

PDS is certainly my favourite in the series. As much as I loved Orta, speeding on-rails through this strange, unique, beautiful world feels like a waste.

Velociraper
Apr 6, 2008

by hoodrow trillson

AberrantBassist posted:

I just got a copy of "Nox" for the PC. I've been dying to play this game because I'm a huge fan of Diablo and Fate, does anyone have any pointers? Also, can someone tell me how to check the stats on an item I pick up? I've searched everywhere and I've found a couple basic control guides, but nothing mentions it.

I played the hell out of Nox as a kid but really the only tip I can give you is to always stay stocked on potions because the game really is easy as hell. You check stats by going into the inventory screen and right clicking on the item, I believe. Either that or on the inventory screen there's some little icon you press and then scroll over the items. Sorry that probably wasn't helpful, here's my really for real tip:

The only way to get the most awesome spells as a conjurer or a wizard is to cheat and give them to yourself in single player. You can't get force of nature or the fist of god or death beam or summon any of the really badass creatures without bullshitting. If you like the game enough to make another playthrough I'd suggest some mild cheating

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Unfortunately, after I asked, all this talk of Panzer Dragoon Saga is now a moot point; I don't have a Saturn here and I can't get Discs 2 or 3 to work on SSF. :cry: I don't suppose any of you know which versions of SSF work or what I can do about this... :shobon:

I decided to play Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (PSP) instead, since I just bought the DS game and I want to "build up" to it. The more I think about it, though, this is all I have...

Valkyrie Profile
· The Medium difficulty has content Hard doesn't, and Hard has lots of content Medium doesn't, so...
◊ First Playthrough: Play it blind (no outside help) on Medium.
◊ Second Playthrough: Follow a guide (I recommend this endings guide and this walkthrough) on Hard.

I really think I'd have missed out on a lot of fun if I didn't follow this formula myself. You won't get the best ending on the first playthrough, but still.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

IcePotato posted:

I'm struggling through Disc 2 of Lost Odyssey (360) and so far, the quality seems to be much worse than Disc 1 in terms of more boring fights and more stupid melodrama. Can someone give me reassurances about the general quality of the game from here on out? Are any neat new gameplay mechanics introduced after, say, the treasure hunter minigame?

In all seriousness, L.O. is one of my favorite JRPGs of all time - it does ebb and flow and I'm not sure of what exactly is going on during Disc 2, but I can tell you 100% that it's worth hanging on for. As a non-spoiler piece of advise, don't leave characters too far behind, level-wise - there is a quest tree for each character near the end-game to get their super skill/equipment which requires them to be there, and towards the end you need to use all those which remain in your party.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Since you mentioned Valkyrie Profile, I'll toss out some spoiler-free tips for Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, I just beat it the other day (didn't get the best ending, but it has a New Game+, and if you don't play it multiple times it's the shortest SRPG ever).

-Do not look at any guides or walkthroughs at least the first time you play.
-As soon as it's available in the shop, get the dash skill for every character, even if you don't think you'll use them. Seriously, this is the most important skill in the game.
-Every sorcerer you get should at least know Heal, Normalize, Invoke Feather, and have their default attack spell be one that hits multiple times.
-Gang up on enemies, it's usually better to only attack once or twice a turn if it means all 4 characters attack at the same time.
-You get the best items at the end of every stage by getting at least double the minimum amount of sin. I wouldn't necessarily say you should reset if you don't get this, but remember it's the goal you're shooting for.
-The most important thing on weapons is getting a special attack, and 3 hits.
-You don't have to use every attack before breaking out the finishing blows. You can consistently use all four finishing blows in an attack (provided everyone has a 3 attack/special attack weapon) by stopping your attack as soon as the attack meter maxes out, using as many finishing blows as you can, then continuing your attack so you can use any remaining finishing blows.
-Once the sin meter maxes out against an enemy, there's no reason to use any more finishing blows, but regular attacks can still make experience crystals drop.
-Siege whenever possible.
-It's not a bad idea to conserve your money, but make sure you always have a decent stock of healing supplies. Using consumable items is mandatory to survive in this game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CloseFriend posted:

Unfortunately, after I asked, all this talk of Panzer Dragoon Saga is now a moot point; I don't have a Saturn here and I can't get Discs 2 or 3 to work on SSF. :cry: I don't suppose any of you know which versions of SSF work or what I can do about this... :shobon:
When I played it on SSF, I got it to work with the 0.07 Beta. However I just tried the latest (0.10 alpha) and it seems to work just fine on disc 2. For the record I am not using a cd image, though I can't imagine that making a difference. Unless it crashes somewhere beyond the title screen, which I can't check at the moment as my save is on disc 4.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
There's not too much to say about Nox, but do play it through three times: once for each class. They're unique enough that it's fun to play through the game again.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I just picked up Dragon Quest V and Broken Sword Director's Cut for DS, anything for either of these games?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

When I played it on SSF, I got it to work with the 0.07 Beta. However I just tried the latest (0.10 alpha) and it seems to work just fine on disc 2. For the record I am not using a cd image, though I can't imagine that making a difference. Unless it crashes somewhere beyond the title screen, which I can't check at the moment as my save is on disc 4.
HAHA! I don't know how, but I got Disc 2 working!

Click here for the full 704x448 image.

I've been trying to play this game blind. The only thing I wish I'd known going in was that you have to talk to some people multiple times to activate side quests or advance the story. I had a lot of trouble getting anywhere in Zoah until I did that.

Dypsymphuliac
Jan 26, 2007

Vae, me concacavi, puto!

CloseFriend posted:

I don't suppose any of you know which versions of SSF work or what I can do about this...
I'm not sure how you're running SSF, but I remember that I had a hell of a time getting my discs to run until I disabled the BIOS screen. After that they ran fine, though the images I made never did work right.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

AberrantBassist posted:

I just got a copy of "Nox" for the PC. I've been dying to play this game because I'm a huge fan of Diablo and Fate, does anyone have any pointers? Also, can someone tell me how to check the stats on an item I pick up? I've searched everywhere and I've found a couple basic control guides, but nothing mentions it.

Nox is a fun game. It's too bad you're getting into this it now, because the multiplayer action a decade ago was shitloads of fun. The singleplayer campaign is pretty self-explanatory, but here are a couple tips:

Conjurer:
- The best conjurer spells are Burn (for zombies), Charm (if you have the right Beast scroll), Fist of Vengeance, Force of Nature, Greater & Lesser Heal, Meteor, Pixie Swarm, and Stun. Pixie Swarm will probably be your go-to attack spell for most of the game, as the pixies hone in on enemies like the Wizard’s magic missiles.
- Unlike the Wizard, you WILL get a lot of use out of your "trap" ability, the boomer. Boomers (or whatever they're called in the game) will run around in search of enemies. When they find one, they detonate and (hopefully) release the three spells you put inside them on their prey. You can use them to take out large groups of enemies by giving them area-effect spells, or difficult bosses by loading them with Fists of Vengeance or Force of Natures. Remember, including Stun, Poison or Slow as the first spell pretty much guarantees that you'll kill the enemy.
- There is no "best" combination of beasts to summon. Some, like Mimics and Demons, are almost always useful, while others, like Will'o'Wisps and Ghosts, take some practice. The best rule is to generally summon beasts which complement your fighting style. If your conjurer uses a melee weapon and rushes into combat, summon beasts with ranged attacks. If your conjurer stands back and fights enemies with a bow or crossbow, summon some tanks (like Ogres) to keep the enemies at a distance.

Warrior:
- The warrior is the hardest class to play well (unlike most of these kinds of games). You have a very limited selection of abilities (5, as opposed to 25 and 45 for conjurers and wizards respectively), and two of them are pretty worthless. With the magic classes, you have way more options to fall back on, whereas warriors can pretty much only attack or retreat.
- When fighting wizards and conjurers you'll definitely feel a disadvantage. To overcome this, you'll almost always want to be fighting up close. If your enemy is surrounded by other hostiles, use your harpoon to reel him to you. If your enemy is alone, use your charge to take him out. Avoid getting caught in the middle of a large melee you cannot win--bring the various fighters to you to take them out more easily.

Wizard:
- The best spells are Burn (for zombies), Death Ray, Dispel Undead, Energy Bolt (for continuous damage), Fireball (for its blast radius), Force Field, Fumble, Mark & Teleport, and Magic Missiles. The other spells are all useful insofar as there is at least one valid use of every spell in the game, but the ones listed above will probably be the ones you rely on most often.
- Wizards can only use staffs for weapons, and more often than not you'll want to use a spell instead of using the charges in your staff. Basically, ignore the Sulphurous Staves and focus on finding the Fireball Staves. They'll be rare at first, but then you'll find enough of them that you can use them pretty liberally.
- Sadly, your ability to make traps won't be very useful. If you're being chased by enemies (like undead or something), it's handy to lay down some traps with Dispel Undead in them but outside of these special situations you won't have many opportunities to use them. The game is always pushing you forward, whereas these traps require extensive backtracking and sneaking to pay off.

Armor:
- The Resistance (poison, fire and electricity) gear is useful in certain situations, but is usually outdone by the Speed or Healing gear. I mean, if you're in the Poison Swamps or the Fire Caves then dress accordingly, but otherwise stick with speed/heal.
- Resistance gear comes in almost all armor types (i.e., helmet, boots, leggings, etc.), while Speed gear only comes in boots, and Healing gear only comes in cloaks and tunics/cuirasses.

Weapons:
- The crossbow is probably one of the best weapons in the game. It does an insane amount of damage (even before fire/poison/shock bonuses are added from the weapon itself and the arrows it uses) and both conjurers and warriors can use it. The real drawback is the slow reload, but a conjurer should have some tanks to keep enemies at bay. Warriors may want to opt for a melee weapon for this reason.
- The Staff of Oblivion, in its various stages, is possibly the best melee weapon in the game for wizards and conjurers. Warriors will want either the great sword, or a one-handed weapon and a shield for maximum defense.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
Back to Supreme Commander,

I mainly just play skirmish mode against the AI. Putting it on the medium difficulty is way too easy because after one or two attacks the AI just kind of gives up and sits there, but putting it on hard results in me getting spanked as soon as the AI shows up with tier 4 units. Which are usually the first assaults they launch (besides scouting planes).

Every time I play, I build up evenly between upgrading and putting out units, I usually try to get at least one factory to t3 as soon as I can so I can build the biggest power plants and mass fabricators. I usually have at least 3 or 4 groups of t2 construction units followed around but a bunch of t1s and I always try to keep my mass and energy close to 0.

Any general strategies for dealing with the AI on Hard? I always feel like I've got an awesome base going and then suddenly it all falls apart when 3 or 4 t4 units stroll in with a crowd of support.

Is there a SupCom megathread? I couldn't find it.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Astfgl posted:

Nox is a fun game.

Oh christ, this post just bomblasted me back into middle school when I played the poo poo out of this game. Multiplayer was amazing and I hope if some site like GOG or GamersGate picks it up that multi will be available in some form.

Fist of Vengeance-ing people was so satisfying. :3:

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I'm about to start Bioshock, yes I know I'm sort of late on getting around to this game. I've played SS2, so I guess I have that going for me since I've read Bioshock is pretty much a reskinned version of System Shock for the most part. I'm playing it on PS3 if that matters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only real tips I can think of off the top of my head are that while harvest Little Sisters gives you more Adam to begin with if you save them you'll get more rewards as after so many you'll get a gift from one of them that involves unique plasmids and a lump of Adam.

Also, do NOT kill Sander Cohen the first chance you get. If you let him live he opens up an area for you later on.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Shining Force I/II/II
* Your main character is the most powerful character you have. Make sure to keep him leveled, and use every stat boosting item on him. Many people try to keep him out of combat since you lose the game if he dies, and then bitch about it when he gets one-shotted in later battles.
* Spend an hour at the beginning of the game cheesing up your level (kill almost everything, cast return/egress, repeat), it'll make later battles much easier.
* Spam heals in easy battles. If you wait until they're actually needed, your healers won't get any XP.
* If you can, wait until level 20 for your first promotion. You still get good stat gains.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 30, 2009

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Morwan posted:

Shining Force I/II/II
* Your main character is the most powerful character you have. Make sure to keep him leveled, and use every stat boosting item on him. Many people try to keep him out of combat since you lose the game if they die. Most of the time they end up hating the game because he ends up being one-shotted in later parts of the game.
* Spend an hour at the beginning of the game cheesing up your level (kill almost everything, cast return/egress, repeat), it'll make later battles much easier.
* Spam heals in easy battles. If you wait until they're actually needed, your healers won't get any XP.
* If you can, wait until level 20 for your first promotion. You still get good stat gains.

Speaking of promotions, can you promote some characters twice, or do you have to reach a certain level to get their other class?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Heath posted:

Speaking of promotions, can you promote some characters twice, or do you have to reach a certain level to get their other class?

If you're talking about Shining Force II, you need a special item. A list of them and their locations can be found here.

In Shining Force III, you can promote twice, but only in Scenario III.

VV No idea.. That's the only Shining Force I didn't play. After looking at FAQs it seems like you can only do one promotion.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 30, 2009

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Actually, I'm just starting a game of Book 1 on Shining Force CD.

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl

CloseFriend posted:

Valkyrie Profile
I would say that, unless you're totally sure you're going to play it again, it would be a better idea to just start on Hard and use a guide to get the best ending.

IIRC the differences are:

-On Hard you can create or transmute or whatever more things with that creation gem from lezard's castle
-Hard has several extra dungeons
-Hard lets you get the best ending
-Hard has the Seraphic Gate dungeon after the last boss
-Enemies might be a bit more difficult, but nothing you can't handle

I dunno who was asking, but if you're going to try to get the best ending, you absolutely must use a guide as it's probably the most confusing and opaque method I've ever seen in a game to get a best ending. It seriously makes no sense and then bam best ending.

The normal ending is you send up people as necessary, at the end you fight the leader of the enemy forces (it's not very interesting, compared to the good ending), then you get a "CONGRATULATION" and back to the title screen
The bad ending is you fail to send up people or do dungeons or whatever, so Freya comes down and kills you

So it's not really worth playing blind, especially if you're only going to play through once.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Well, I say that because Medium has dungeons that Hard doesn't. Also, although I didn't finish my first run-through, I really enjoyed playing blind just because the structure of the game lends itself so well to it (e.g. watching characters' backstories, making decisions on who to transfer).

On difficult, if you don't want to blow through your Exp. Orb you're going to spend a lot of time grinding. Plus, there are more puzzle-oriented dungeons (like the Clockwork Mansion) and a lot more jumping puzzles (like the Dark Tower of Xervah and the Citadel of Flames). Also, Lezard's Tower is a time-sink in and of itself. I liked playing through Medium because it lets you get the game down before you get into this heavy stuff.

You are right, though; if you only intend to play through the game once, on Hard with a guide is the way to do it.

Champinave
Jul 26, 2008

Pen Expers posted:

Back to Supreme Commander,

I mainly just play skirmish mode against the AI. Putting it on the medium difficulty is way too easy because after one or two attacks the AI just kind of gives up and sits there, but putting it on hard results in me getting spanked as soon as the AI shows up with tier 4 units. Which are usually the first assaults they launch (besides scouting planes).

Every time I play, I build up evenly between upgrading and putting out units, I usually try to get at least one factory to t3 as soon as I can so I can build the biggest power plants and mass fabricators. I usually have at least 3 or 4 groups of t2 construction units followed around but a bunch of t1s and I always try to keep my mass and energy close to 0.

Any general strategies for dealing with the AI on Hard? I always feel like I've got an awesome base going and then suddenly it all falls apart when 3 or 4 t4 units stroll in with a crowd of support.

Is there a SupCom megathread? I couldn't find it.

T3 Bombers will solve all of your problems. They are expensive, but a team of 5 or so of them will take down most land T4s before they can reach your base.

Meningism
Dec 31, 2008

KingShiro posted:

Gears of War 2

I know this was several pages ago, but I struggled due to not knowing this tip, so:

- There's certain section of the game where you will be exploring an abandoned research facility. Keep your Lancer on you throughout this level, even if you don't like using it. The OHKO melee will be invaluable at the end of the mission. Don't do what I did and bring a Boltok and Flamethrower...

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

McKracken posted:

I'm about to start Bioshock, yes I know I'm sort of late on getting around to this game. I've played SS2, so I guess I have that going for me since I've read Bioshock is pretty much a reskinned version of System Shock for the most part. I'm playing it on PS3 if that matters.

Vita-chambers revive you when you die with no penalty whatsoever. Turn them off if you want a challenge.

Most plasmids are underpowered, but Electro Bolt and Telekinesis will be useful throughout the entire game.

The harvest vs. rescue option comes down to more ADAM immediately vs. bonus ADAM and unique plasmids/tonics with every three rescues.

The wrench is the overall strongest weapon if you equip its boosting tonics.

Once you get the camera, research every enemy you see until you stop getting points.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Pen Expers posted:

Every time I play, I build up evenly between upgrading and putting out units, I usually try to get at least one factory to t3 as soon as I can so I can build the biggest power plants and mass fabricators.

You get one factory to t3, pump out one or two high-end killers and surround it with tech 1 tanks. One Brick is very hard to stop without air or T4 if you micro it a bit (you're playing with the add-on, right?)

If you teched up an air factory, three or four tech 3 gunships can raid and kill a great many builders and mexes.

Or you could just forgo teching to T3, and try to win with T2 ranged units. Gatling bot and Hoplite are the real killers here, just make sure you micro a lot and have good radar.

As with any RTS, watch replays to get an idea what other people do. SupCom has quite a few enjoyable ones at Gamereplays.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

THF13 posted:

Dragon Quest V

Once you can recruit monsters, get the Rotten Apple (it's near Uptaten Towers). It's a good mid-late game monster that's rendered useless because of equipment and an early level cap, but it's solid until you're level 25 or so.

You should also get a Slime Knight, who is basically a copy of the Hero. They are found near Coburg.

Late game, the only real monsters you should use are (mild spoiler that's not really if you know a thing about RPG conventions) Saber and Golem (Killing Machine is good too but it's hard to get and you get it way later than Golem). The rest you can fill with human characters.

Don't worry about your choice for wife too much. Go for personality rather than stats/combat potential. On a tangent to this, press B after talking to any NPC if you have human characters in your party.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

GrandpaPants posted:

You should also get a Slime Knight, who is basically a copy of the Hero. They are found near Coburg.

Slime Knights are badass at higher levels. Another fun/interesting/good "monster" to use is Dwight Dwarf.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

McKracken posted:

I'm about to start Bioshock, yes I know I'm sort of late on getting around to this game.

You're not late, I only finished it the first time last week!

-At a later part in the game, your health will be permanently lowered on occasion. Your health bar will be restored to its previous level eventually, so don't worry about losing your health bonuses.
-Don't pick up a Big Daddy helmet unless/until you really, really have to. I found what happens afterward to be slightly annoying.
-Upgrading your weapons at certain stations isn't as important as you think it would be, once you discover the awesomeness of wrench + wrench tonics.
-Echoing research everything ASAP, which includes little sisters and security cameras/bots/turrets. The camera doesn't use film unless it takes a picture worth points, so snap like a madman.
-The only time I remember having to backtrack across loading screens was after getting a key from Sander Cohen, and even then it wasn't really worth it. Other than that each map can be fully explored before moving to the next.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Draile posted:

Vita-chambers revive you when you die with no penalty whatsoever. Turn them off if you want a challenge.

Most plasmids are underpowered, but Electro Bolt and Telekinesis will be useful throughout the entire game.

The harvest vs. rescue option comes down to more ADAM immediately vs. bonus ADAM and unique plasmids/tonics with every three rescues.

The wrench is the overall strongest weapon if you equip its boosting tonics.

Once you get the camera, research every enemy you see until you stop getting points.

This is good advice, but slightly incorrect.

You get more ADAM by doing straight harvesting, but after the bonus ADAM, it only amounts to maybe 30 or 40 extra ADAM total.

Also the Freezing plasmit is always useful, even for hacking. If you freeze something beforehand, like a Vending Machine, the stuff flows more slowly.

Oh, and one more thing for Bioshock: Hack Everything. Literally. There is nothing bad that can come from Hacking something.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
4 or 5 trap bolts will kill a Big Daddy from full health on Hard mode.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Oh, and one more thing for Bioshock: Hack Everything. Literally. There is nothing bad that can come from Hacking something.

Note that the flavor text about the camera magically sampling the targets DNA or whatever is bullshit and you can photograph security cameras, turrets, and helicopters.

Unfortunately, you can't photograph them after you've hacked them, so if you're playing for achievements/trophies, take the picture first, and then hack.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Morwan posted:

Shining Force I/II/II
This doesn't work in SF1, at least not on the new Sonic Ultimate Collection or whatever. Healers don't get experience for healing units at full health, nor does any unit get experience for using healing items.

Morwan posted:

That's in SF1. In SF2, you can promote at level 20 but should wait until 40.

Also, in SF2, use Slade (the rat thief). He is terribly weak when you get him, but he promotes to a ninja and ends up one of your most useful characters. Also, use Master Monks if you can (promote a priest with a vigor ball).

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Capsaicin posted:

There is nothing bad that can come from Hacking something.

Except having to play that stupid minigame for the 900th time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Cliff posted:

This doesn't work in SF1, at least not on the new Sonic Ultimate Collection or whatever. Healers don't get experience for healing units at full health, nor does any unit get experience for using healing items.

You should spam heals whenever you take damage, even if it's only 3 or 4 HP.

quote:

That's in SF1. In SF2, you can promote at level 20 but should wait until 40.

I should've mentioned, but it applies to every SF game except SF2. (SF1, 3 and SF CD).